GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I think if you read more about Schizotypal Personality Disorder or many similar disorders, you will find that these patients very rarely seek "treatment" as they do not think they are the ones with the problem.

Even people with true Schizophrenia, BiPolar and Histrionic disorders stop taking their meds because they think that they are cured or do not have a problem.

Saying that Mercer is to blame for not providing intense physco therapy is a giant leap. That is like saying "Oh if only Ted Bundy had gotten the help he needed from all the Universities that he attended, none of those women would have died." Do you really think Ted Bundy was seeking treatment for urges that he was having?

Also, if someone was really seeking medical attention, then they could have gone to the health department and been treated on a sliding scale. I knew many students from Mercer who have done this.

Also, I don't know anyone who attended ANY law school and did not undertand that there would be stresses involved. If I had an attorney who said that they barely made it through law school because it "stressed them out," I would not exactly feel comfortable with them as my attorney. Personally, I want my attorney to perform at his or her best under stress!

Macon.com is likely throwing "no bond hearing until at least August 4th" out there because bond hearings are on Thursdays, and next Thursday is the 4th. The bond calendar is finalized a few days in advance so Buford didn't file early enough to get on this week's calendar, so will likely be on next week's calendar (the 4th.) It will be interesting to see what happens!

While I am on a roll here, let me just say that I totally identify with those that are conflicted with the whole McD thing. While I want to know that the murderer is in jail, I also do not want it to be McD. I guess on some crazy deep level my parents instilled in me to see the good in everyone and to be nice to EVERYONE. During those terrible 4th grade years when people were being excluded for petty differences, my parents made me empathise with those that were being taunted and teased.

I just know that I would have been the one in Law school that would have tried to include the guy wearing chain mail to class even when others were laughing behind his back. I just keep hoping that they are just keeping him in jail for his safety and that they are zeroing in on someone else. It is not looking like that though. Awww...terrible.

This has been explained a few times, but one more won't hurt...

In a nutshell: SM has not been denied bond. SM is in jail right now because under GA law, for 90 days, he has to request to be released on bond -- it doesn't happen automatically -- and there is no request pending of which I am aware.

He did request it once, but after it was granted ($8k and some change), the police charged him with another count of burglary. When you have two charges, your request has to be heard by a different court that only hears those requests one day of the week (Thursday, I believe). SM's bond was revoked at that time, and he initially scheduled a hearing for a new bond request but then withdrew it, purportedly because of the pending conflict of interest motion.

Now that the conflict issue is resolved, if things were normal, SM would request a bond hearing on Thursday and be released. But nothing is normal here. In any event, for the next two months or so, assuming nothing changes, SM will probably have to request bond if he wants to be released.

Okay, sorry, bad wording, I didnt' mean he'd been denied, just that it's taking so long for such a simple charge. He has not been charged and is not a "suspect" so there is nothing more for them to hear but the burglary charges he admitted to in stealing condoms from open apts, information he offered himself. Dont' know if there are witnessess or if there is evidence as to who's condoms there were or video of him entering. I'm just trying to understand, without reading everything into this about LG and suspicions of his involvement, which has nothing to do with his bond hearing, am I right or wrong? WE can speculate all day but I'm just saying, the only charges are the burglary. He could denounce those statements in a second couldnt' he? What then would they hold him on? WIth no witnessess or evidence or proof.

When you say 90 days, does that mean, he has up to 90 days to request bond?
Also I beleive i saw something where his atty revoked the first bond hearing request and submitted the "conflict of interest" hearing and then filed another bond hearing for release??

Just trying to comprehend how any LE can hold someone in jail for so long and why its taking so long for the bond hearing. His atty seems in no hurry. If he's innocent I'd be wanting out of there quick. Even the bogus burglary charges have me baffled that he could get what 30 years if convicted?? Hilarious.

I just wonder if this is stall tactics until more evidence comes back from VA

While I am on a roll here, let me just say that I totally identify with those that are conflicted with the whole McD thing. While I want to know that the murderer is in jail, I also do not want it to be McD. I guess on some crazy deep level my parents instilled in me to see the good in everyone and to be nice to EVERYONE. During those terrible 4th grade years when people were being excluded for petty differences, my parents made me empathise with those that were being taunted and teased.

I just know that I would have been the one in Law school that would have tried to include the guy wearing chain mail to class even when others were laughing behind his back. I just keep hoping that they are just keeping him in jail for his safety and that they are zeroing in on someone else. It is not looking like that though. Awww...terrible.

I know, you sound like Lauren, as I've read about her, always befriending the shy and wanting to help the underdogs who couldnt' help themselves. I guess in this day and age, you just dont' know who you really are befriending, I understand or have heard experts say, (if not already diagnosed earleri in life)a lot of these personality disorders start to reveal themselves in the 20's, give or take. Just like Casey Anthony, she'd never committed murder before but if you are want to, there will be a first. no one suspected her at first. SO I hope McD isnt' guilty as it seems that he and LG conversed quite a bit as I've read here and there, his mother even asking if there was something going on between them I believe i read.

My husband and I have wondered the same thing about LE possibly holding him and keeping his safety or to throw off the real perp, thinking that LE thought they had their man, the real one might slip up. So I guess Thursday he'll have a bond hearing possibly?

How long does your attorney allow you to stay in jail if you are innocent before getting you posted on bond?

Do we find it odd that SMcD attorney seems to be in no hurry in getting him released? He was so worried about the conflict of interest that he cancelled the first bond hearing in lieu of the conflict hearing.

I agree tho, if he's worked there, someone else should probably hear the case, but at any rate, what could they lose if the DA's office liked SMcD? Unless there was a problem while he interned that his attorney thought might interfere with his case.

At any rate, how long can you hold someone without any evidence?

Not sure he's innocent, some have rumoured around several campuses that SMcD's vehicle was seen behind the complex backed in. Just rumour this far. Also that the stench from the trashcan was bad for days adn passersby noticed it. Yes I think there is a lot not being told for sure. I wonder how many have called in tips.

Thank-you for your post.

I am sure that there is more to the vehicle side of things, whether it is SM's or not, I am not so sure of that. I do think that LE possibly has video of this.

I was watching the original LE presser yesterday, and the Chief makes a comment about suspecting that the torso was LG because of other things recovered. I will post the exact phrasing later, because, there are some interesting things that stuck out to me. He also says that the dump is not going to be searched anymore, which leads me to believe that there were things recovered very quickly there. I know this is probably old hat, already covered on Thread 1 or 2, and I am trying to read every single post there, but, can someone confirm for me if there was any other garbage pick-up that week at the complex or in that neighbourhood?

I guess my point is that there must be some very damming circumstantial evidence to hold an innocent man and be afraid he'd skip bail for only the charges against him being burglary to which he openly admitted,for stealing condoms 3 years ago. Weird yes, but it's not murder. I've read this whole forum for days and the news isn't always correct and we are all speculating. This is the only thing that seems to really matter at this point and we don't know what the police have..........if anything. So holding a man in jail with no evidence, afraid he'll skip bail on stealing condoms? haha. How long can he be held. We are all innocent until proven guilty. Regardless of what I think of SMcD. I'd hate to know anyone could be held in jail for weeks on end without police having nothing more than suspicion. Jeepers. So there must be something significant, wouldnt' there? Thanks

Don't worry, his bond has not been denied, in fact his attorney postponed his chances of getting out sooner when he filed the conflict of interests motion, either because he was stalling to prevent further releases of evidence or because he was trying to get that motion heard before it was too late when he went onto the bond hearing. No one is violating Stephen's rights in terms of his bond or imprisonment, he has a good attorney and probably knows a thing or two himself, that aint gonna go down...:twocents:

Macon.com is likely throwing "no bond hearing until at least August 4th" out there because bond hearings are on Thursdays, and next Thursday is the 4th. The bond calendar is finalized a few days in advance so Buford didn't file early enough to get on this week's calendar, so will likely be on next week's calendar (the 4th.) It will be interesting to see what happens!

Buford didn't file soon enough?? WOW, maybe my confusion is that his atty isnt' on the ball the reason McD is still incarcerated for almost a month on ALLEGED burglary charges from 3 years ago for nothing of value that he admitted to with no witnesses, no proof, no evidence.

I know chain mail is not what most people wear, but I really think people are making too much of this without a good reason. SM seems like a D&D type of guy to me. A geek. He probably just likes chain mail, and he's not the only one.

This "thinkgeek" website sells chain mail shirts to wear "for medieval battle or just Thursday".

ETA: I hope he doesn't wear it next Thursday!!! Even though it says chainmail is the new black.

Buford didn't file soon enough?? WOW, maybe my confusion is that his atty isnt' on the ball the reason McD is still incarcerated for almost a month on ALLEGED burglary charges from 3 years ago for nothing of value that he admitted to with no witnesses, no proof, no evidence.

Knowing the kind of attorney he is, this was not an oversight on Buford's part- this is strategic. Exactly what the strategy is, I'm not sure. It's likely because at the bond hearing, the State will throw in details about the murder case that Buford does not yet want released.

Plus, we don't REALLY know whether they have witnesses/proof/evidence of the "alleged" thefts. They very well might.

I feel you on that, I straight up know that barring any extreme flaw in his personality that made him impossible to get along with, I'd see this kid and want to be his friend and sort of take him under my wing [although to be honest, he just graduated Mercer law school and probably didn't need to be under anyone's wing--except socially]. It's driving me insane, the cognitive dissonance. I appreciate people like you.
And I pretty much felt he was guilty from the first moment he was named as a POI, I just don't want him to be...

I feel you on that, I straight up know that barring any extreme flaw in his personality that made him impossible to get along with, I'd see this kid and want to be his friend and sort of take him under my wing [although to be honest, he just graduated Mercer law school and probably didn't need to be under anyone's wing--except socially]. It's driving me insane, the cognitive dissonance. I appreciate people like you.
And I pretty much felt he was guilty from the first moment he was named as a POI, I just don't want him to be...

I agree with everyone who has commented on it....I think he is guilty but I don't want him to be. I would have befriended him as well. I really believe if he did it, he definitely has issues beyond his control.

Not trying to change the topic of the last several posts but I noticed something from a link that Harry Potter shared yesterday

http://www.macon.com/giddings/

the heading article there by LG's picture states:

"Mercer University law school graduate Lauren Giddings, who was last seen June 25, was killed sometime on or shortly before June 30, 2011. Part of her body was found next to her apartment building on Georgia Avenue in downtown Macon. Police are investigating the case, but no one has been charged in Giddings' death. The hunt for whoever is responsible has prompted one of the highest profile police investigations in Macon in years."

This is the first piece I recall being worded like this, ON OR SHORTLY BEFORE JUNE 30TH.....

now I'm wondering different things again.

I know chain mail is not what most people wear, but I really think people are making too much of this without a good reason. SM seems like a D&D type of guy to me. A geek. He probably just likes chain mail, and he's not the only one.

This "thinkgeek" website sells chain mail shirts to wear "for medieval battle or just Thursday".

ETA: I hope he doesn't wear it next Thursday!!! Even though it says chainmail is the new black.

I honestly can't think of something more funny than deciding to kind of punk your classmates in law school by wearing chain mail at random. It may be adolescent but it's also just plain awesome. JMO.
Now, if he did it with no sense of irony or humor that's another story...

The 3oth was Thursday when she was discovered. I heard in town rumours that neighbors driving by that week of her missing that the stench was so bad there and people commented on the trash. what about the police having been by there Wednesday? They didnt' smell the odor? Surely they wouldve noticed a decomposing smell. Not sure abuot the rumours of odor during the week but if LE didnt' find her Wednesday night, the body was either JUST placed in trash Wednesday soemtime or during the night. Which makes someone on the premises look guilty as they'd know they needed to get the body out of their apt quick and trash pickup is thursday there

Thank-you for your post.

I am sure that there is more to the vehicle side of things, whether it is SM's or not, I am not so sure of that. I do think that LE possibly has video of this.

I was watching the original LE presser yesterday, and the Chief makes a comment about suspecting that the torso was LG because of other things recovered. I will post the exact phrasing later, because, there are some interesting things that stuck out to me. He also says that the dump is not going to be searched anymore, which leads me to believe that there were things recovered very quickly there. I know this is probably old hat, already covered on Thread 1 or 2, and I am trying to read every single post there, but, can someone confirm for me if there was any other garbage pick-up that week at the complex or in that neighbourhood?

The city of Macon only picks up trash once a week on an assigned day. I guess the apt. complex could have used the services of a disposal company, but I believe disposal services only use huge metal dumpsters - not trash cans. I could be wrong.

During the process of seeking information that might indicate the time of release of the FBI forensic evidence, I came across the following PDF document.

In case you are interested: See Attachment
Review of the Lab Forensic DNA Case Backlog Aug. 2010

http://www.justice.gov/oig/reports/FBI/a1039.pdf

FYI when you view Exhibit 2:
"Another DNA typing system, which is used most frequently in forensics, is mitochondrial DNA analysis. Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is DNA that comes from a source separate from the DNA found in the nucleus. It is much smaller (only 16.5 thousand bases) than nuclear DNA and is important for producing proteins that are important and specific to energy production within the cell. The advantage of using mtDNA is because many tissues (such as muscle) have a much higher copy number of mtDNA compared to nuclear DNA, which only has two copies of genetic information and two sex chromosomes. For samples with little DNA recovered, mtDNA analysis is the preferred approach. It is also important for samples that do not have nucleus, such as red blood cells, rootless hair, bones, nail clippings, and teeth. For these tissues, STR and RFLP analysis cannot be used. Finally, mtDNA analysis is possible due to a highly variable region (by 1–2% in unrelated individuals) in the mtDNA genome called the "D-loop." Mitochondrial DNA is maternally inherited."
http://www.enotes.com/forensic-science/dna-typing-systems

Exhibit 3 (chart) Average time for evidence submission
(I sure hope the FBI prioritizes the DNA evidence taken from Barristers Hall Apts.)

Lab results pending in law grad's slaying:

Macon police are waiting for the results of a lab test that could help determine who slayed and dismembered a recent law school graduate. Police spokeswoman Jami Gaudet said the FBI is conducting lab tests of blood, fiber, fingerprints and other evidence linked to the death of 27-year-old Lauren Giddings.

Read more:
http://www.macon.com/2011/07/16/1633466/lab-results-pending-in-law-grads.html

Attachments

• FBI Forensic DNA BackLog.pdf
    992.6 KB · Views: 8
I wonder too, in court he just seems, geeky, calm, not like BTK, nor strong looking to have done this, surely he was upset in those videos, sometimes our verbage is not precise, doesnt' mean we're guilty of something. Saying she was scared was just a common sense idea after someone tried to break in that we'd all assume of her, not that she was in great fear all the time that she coudlnt' function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517