GA - Rapper Young + others indicted on RICO & other charges, May 2022. Trial ongoing April 2023, interruptions, lawyer arrested. Fulton County.

vls12345

Reaction score
Didn't see a thread so I wanted to start one. Many moving parts.

This gives an overview of the original indictment in May 2022:
https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...des-rapper-young-/BWRJUENMRFFIBOEHY4GRMV4EHQ/

and

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/at...arrested-buckhead/76BJUDSW2REPNNEUCBFJNGPNBI/

Trial underway in April 2023.

Yesterday, screaming interrupted proceedings, courtroom was cleared:

This morning, a defense attorney was arrested:

ATLANTA (AP) — Nearly 10 months after jury selection began, a panel of Georgia citizens was selected Wednesday for the trial of rapper Young and several other people accused of participating in a criminal street gang responsible for violent crimes.

The Atlanta-based artist, who’s given name is Jeffery Lamar Williams, and six others are now set to stand trial beginning Nov. 27 after prosecutors and defense attorneys chose 12 jurors and six alternates, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. The trial is expected to last months.

Posted at 6:32 PM, November 1, 2023

Young achieved tremendous success after starting to rap as a teenager and serves as CEO of his own record label, Young Stoner Life, or YSL. Artists on his record label are considered part of the “Slime Family,” and a compilation album, “Slime Language 2,” rose to No. 1 on the charts in April 2021.

But prosecutors say YSL also stands for Young Slime Life, which they allege is an Atlanta-based violent street gang affiliated with the national Bloods gang and founded by Young and two others in 2012. Prosecutors say people named in the indictment are responsible for violent crimes — including killings, shootings and carjackings — to collect money for the gang, burnish its reputation and expand its power and territory.

Young is accused of racketeering conspiracy and participation in criminal street gang activity, as well as drug and gun charges.

A jury will be selected TODAY in #YSL #YoungThug trial. Our camera is there, however judge does not allow live streaming of jury selection. I'll be monitoring throughout the day.

The state and defense attorneys have spent almost 2 hours passing notes back and forth on striking jurors. This is a silent process. The 48 qualified jurors have been in the courtroom throughout this process.

BREAKING: After TEN months of jury selection, a jury has been seated in the #YSL RICO (#YoungThug) trial. What started with 28 indicted defendants is now down to SEVEN for this specific trial. Many have taken plea deals, some were severed for various reasons, some don't even have a public defender yet because the system is strained and there is still ONE defendant on the run.

NOW: The jury is being selected in #YSL RICO trial. The parties are going through their strikes.

18 jurors were selected today and will be sworn in. 6 will serve as alternates.

Breakdown of jury in #YSL #YoungThug

Opening statements Monday, Nov. 27. Pretty daunting to see SEVEN defendants with their attorneys all going on trial at the same time. I've never covered a case that had that many defendants. 8 attorneys (includes prosecutor) can potentially question every witness.

Fulton County Chief Superior Court Judge Ural Glanville was set to hear motions as to whether lyrics from hip-hop songs can be used against the rapper - real name Jeffery Williams - in his RICO trial.

“If you decide to admit your crimes over a beat, I’m going to use it,” Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis has said. “I’m not targeting anyone. You do not get to commit crimes in my county, and then get to decide to brag on it, which you do that for a form of intimidation and to further the gain and to not be held responsible.

Atlanta Police gang Detective Mark Belknap, an 18-year veteran, is considered a gang expert.
“Do you have an opinion as to whether or not the organization called Young Slime Life is a criminal street gang?” prosecutor Adriane Love asked Belknap.
“I do,” Belknap said.
Belknap testified that YSL is responsible for committing aggravated assaults, armed robberies and homicides across the city.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back