CONVICTION OVERTURNED GA - Ross Harris Trial Appeal, hot car death of son, Cooper

It matters because he was found guilty of malice murder (similarly to first degree murder this requires intent) and sentenced accordingly. Had he been convicted of a lesser count because the jury determined he forgot about Cooper because he was wrapped up in his non-stop sexting, he would have received a lesser sentence. That's the way the judicial system works, and that's the way it should work, even if we are thoroughly disgusted by Harris' behavior and what happened to the baby as a result.

Currently he's not convicted of any degree of homicide at all. That ball is in the prosecution's court now. If they opt to go with malice murder with no option for a lesser charge once again, this time it may be more difficult to convince a jury that he intentionally murdered Cooper.
I get it. I know it matters legally. I think I made clear in my post that this an emotional response on my part.

"CASE CLOSED" BREAKING: Cobb County D.A. will NOT retry #JustinRossHarris in hot car death of his son Cooper. Harris was convicted of malice murder in 2016. Cooper died after being left in the car, in the heat. His murder conviction was overturned and D.A. will not retry him

So the creep will stay free to walk among us. I wonder if he’ll have other babies to “forget” in a hot car. That’s JMOO.

So the creep will stay free to walk among us. I wonder if he’ll have other babies to “forget” in a hot car. That’s JMOO.
Unfortunately we’ll never know what was going through Ross’ mind that day but IMO his so-called fatal distraction wasn’t lack of sleep but rather his preoccupation with texting and sexting women. IMO at the least it’s child endangerment and child neglect.

We can only guess which hot car deaths are truly accidents and which are suspicious. I consider Cooper’s death suspicious but at the same time I agree that some of the evidence presented shouldn’t have been allowed.

Would a retrial be substantial enough without that evidence? The prosecution says no so we’ll never know.

As an aside I can’t believe we have the technology to control household appliances with smartphones and monitor our health via Bluetooth connectivity but we can’t figure out a better way to make sure we don’t leave our precious children strapped in their car seats to broil to death.

Unfortunately we’ll never know what was going through Ross’ mind that day but IMO his so-called fatal distraction wasn’t lack of sleep but rather his preoccupation with texting and sexting women. IMO at the least it’s child endangerment and child neglect.

We can only guess which hot car deaths are truly accidents and which are suspicious. I consider Cooper’s death suspicious but at the same time I agree that some of the evidence presented shouldn’t have been allowed.

Would a retrial be substantial enough without that evidence? The prosecution says no so we’ll never know.

As an aside I can’t believe we have the technology to control household appliances with smartphones and monitor our health via Bluetooth connectivity but we can’t figure out a better way to make sure we don’t leave our precious children strapped in their car seats to broil to death.
We have for a few years now:

All deaths are tragedies but unfortunately we can't eliminate all accidents, just lessen their odds.

Justin Ross Harris wearing a brown jacket during his murder trial in 2016.

The Cobb County District Attorney’s Office said it had conducted a thorough review of the case in the 11 months since the Georgia Supreme Court ruled that the evidence of Mr. Harris’s sexual activities that had been presented at his trial was “extremely and unfairly prejudicial” and could have affected the jury’s decision to convict him in 2016.
*dammit, this is crazy! Dude is guilty of little Cooper’s death.
eta: oh yeah almost forgot. imo

We have for a few years now:

All deaths are tragedies but unfortunately we can't eliminate all accidents, just lessen their odds.
Thanks for the link. My 2020 Subaru has a chime and a notice to check the back if it senses weight. But yes, car manufacturers are slowly working on better warning systems. Twenty car makers agreed to have something in place by 2025.

In 2016 Tesla installed a cooling system to prevent interior temperature from exceeding 105 degrees. Newer possibilities using in-car radar is promising although there’s some government red tape involved.
From that article:

One morning in 2021, the 2.5-year-old didn’t make a sound in the car with his dad, Tyler, so they never stopped at the babysitter. Tyler would find his son unresponsive in his truck hours later.

Pamela recalled the vehicle had a reminder to check the back seat, but no technology that senses or detects life in the car.
——— end

I had to read that last bit several times. So apparently even a reminder to check the back isn’t enough, a parent needs to be reminded that someone living is in the back seat. No wonder we sometimes suspect parents.

Would such a reminder have saved Cooper? At what point does a distraction become child neglect? At what point does it become murder?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. My 2020 Subaru has a chime and a notice to check the back if it senses weight. But yes, car manufacturers are slowly working on better warning systems. Twenty car makers agreed to have something in place by 2025.

In 2016 Tesla installed a cooling system to prevent interior temperature from exceeding 105 degrees. Newer possibilities using in-car radar is promising although there’s some government red tape involved.
From that article:

One morning in 2021, the 2.5-year-old didn’t make a sound in the car with his dad, Tyler, so they never stopped at the babysitter. Tyler would find his son unresponsive in his truck hours later.

Pamela recalled the vehicle had a reminder to check the back seat, but no technology that senses or detects life in the car.
——— end

I had to read that last bit several times. So apparently even a reminder to check the back isn’t enough, a parent needs to be reminded that someone living is in the back seat. No wonder we sometimes suspect parents.

Would such a reminder have saved Cooper? At what point does a distraction become child neglect? At what point does it become murder?

I think they just overcharged it and should have charged something like negligent homicide (if GA has a law for that). Not sure why the prosecution isn't going for a lesser charge.

I think they just overcharged it and should have charged something like negligent homicide (if GA has a law for that). Not sure why the prosecution isn't going for a lesser charge.
He researched hot car deaths. I think it was intentional, not negligence. And you don't forget about your kid who is inches away from you in 30 seconds.

I don't believe that this was an accident. It was a murder staged to look like an accident. He researched deaths in hot cars. No coincidence.

No accident. Back that SUV in yourself, with your elbow touching Cooper's head, please.

jmprofessional opinion, trained to check car seats for correct installation ymmv lrr

Yeah, like it or not a charge of second degree murder or like you say negligent homicide might withstand appeal even without the excluded evidence. I dunno, my cynical self feels like the prosecutor deems retrial not worth pursuing, perhaps for political reasons?

Sigh, I wish there were more standardized guidelines for determining just how much responsibility a caregiver bears when charged with ensuring the safety of a child. Dr. Diamond’s distraction excuse shouldn’t be an umbrella get off free card.

I am still torn about this case. I was initially convinced it was murder, but his wife’s testimony did sway me. If I had been on the jury, I don’t know that I could have, in good faith beyond a reasonable doubt, voted for a verdict of malice murder.

RH straight up deserved jail time, and more years than he will have served. I do think he may have intentionally murdered Cooper, but legally, I do feel RH was overcharged. A lesser charge, and the conviction would have been upheld.

I will never get little Cooper’s big blue eyes out of my mind.
RIP sweet little man.

And I won’t link an article because they all show RH too, and I hope to never see his ugly face again.

jmo

1685062393794.jpeg

I wish sweet Cooper could legally remove his last name but he's not able to make any decisions.

This is what his father is:

"Harris continues to serve a 12-year sentence in the Georgia prison system for criminal attempt to commit sexual exploitation of a minor and distributing harmful materials to minors.

According to trial evidence, while Cooper remained inside a hot vehicle, Harris was at work in his office, where he sent lewd messages to women."

Cobb won't retry Justin Ross Harris in son's 'hot car' death

I just hope groups like kids and cars who warn about the dangers of forgetting/leaving kids in cars don't use Ross Harris as an advocate like he originally planned.

It makes me sick justice won't be served after all and how it sets a precedent for any lying parent who wants to be single again to do away with their child and not be charged with murder. JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back