GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

Does anyone know if the children of Mark Dermond (the Dermonds' murdered son) were ever questioned? Also, it's interesting that apparently Shirley and Russell's will was to be split 3 ways among their living children... were Mark's kids going to be taken care of too or were they excluded? I can see that being a huge reason for animosity if they weren't included in the inheritance.

This family has been SO quiet and detached, it's very strange. I have a feeling that this family had a lot of weird dynamics and demons.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the children of Mark Dermond (the Dermonds' murdered son) were ever questioned? Also, it's interesting that apparently Shirley and Russell's will was to be split 3 ways among their living children... were Mark's kids going to be taken care of too or were they excluded? I can see that being a huge reason for animosity if they weren't included in the inheritance.

This family has been SO quiet and detached, it's very strange. I have a feeling that this family had a lot of weird dynamics and demons.
Mark Dermond had one child who, according to SS, received a very small amount of money, with the rest going to the three living adult children.

SS said the following during the 'Into the Case' interview, however no mention of how well any of the grandchildren were looked into:

TG: Have you looked at, did they have any kids, uh, the Dermonds have any grandchildren, that possibly might have uh, some sketchy backgrounds. Is that a possibility?

SS: They do, and I’ve not discerned any sketchy backgrounds. Only one of them at the *time* would’ve been an adult.

TG: Mm hmm.

SS: The rest of them were, well some real small children, you know,so… some high school age, uh, high school age, college age, and then small children, there was *one* who was a, you know, out of college, and livin’ on his own, but no background of any kinda criminal things at all, you know. They did not have many relatives, only Ms. Dermond had a cousin, uh, there were no other relatives.

Sorry, the link for the 'Into the Case' podcast no longer works, it was toward the end of the third and final episode.
---
In the 'Sworn' podcast #3 of 3, SS stated the one grandchild received a small amount. Starts approx 11:30 at link below (no mention of any of the grandchildren's phones being analyzed nor any lie detector tests):

Sworn: We’ve learned a lot about the double murder of the Dermonds, you know, the last time we spoke and when we visited with you. We briefly covered the family members, but can you elaborate on how you eliminated family and close friends and suspects in this case?

SS: Yes. Obviously we obtained cellphone records of the children. The estate of the Dermonds passed only to their children. Now though there was one grandchild who did get a very small amount of money, but the 3 children inherited the estate. Obviously we had their cellphone records, which included the tower sites that were being hit during the time of the crime. None of those tower sites were anywhere in the state of Georgia, much less near the Dermond home. Obviously that, that completely eliminates someone, but we polygraphed all 3 of the children and of course, they all passed the polygraphs. Nothing in the course of our investigation, so far, has revealed any sort of animosity or anything like that, between the, their adult children and, and the victims, so uh through a combination and the totality of all of that, we eliminated them.

I’m currently going back and catching up on many threads but what happened with the “into the case” podcast
I listened to the episodes and in the last one I remember the hosts talking about going down there and then nothing was ever posted again. Why is this?

I’m currently going back and catching up on many threads but what happened with the “into the case” podcast
I listened to the episodes and in the last one I remember the hosts talking about going down there and then nothing was ever posted again. Why is this?
I think they're still 'out there' somewhere; not sure why no followup ever came, it is not spoken about.

Hockey guy is on Reddit saying Tricia and Levi put it behind a paywall. The final episode with the lost footage. Not sure what he is talking about.

I think they're still 'out there' somewhere; not sure why no followup ever came, it is not spoken about.
Yeah I noticed it isn’t spoken of in any of the thread as of recently. Kind of freaked me because they were talking about going down there and then BOOM nothing.

I’ll say it again. This is the same Sheriff Sills who told the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the same agency that moved in and made arrests in the Avery murder case, to stay out of his county. The same sheriff who told the Georgia State Patrol that they couldn’t use his building even to use the bathroom. There is way in hell that one man could possibly investigate a case that is so involved as this one.

I’ll say it again. This is the same Sheriff Sills who told the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the same agency that moved in and made arrests in the Avery murder case, to stay out of his county. The same sheriff who told the Georgia State Patrol that they couldn’t use his building even to use the bathroom. There is way in hell that one man could possibly investigate a case that is so involved as this one.

He told the GSP they couldn't use his bldg even to use the bathroom?!! What prompted that? Actually, what prompted all this dislike between SS and GBI/GSP... and has this been going on for years and years? Doesn't sound as if writing letters of disgust for this behavior would prompt any change. Is there something that can be done or is that up to the citizens of Putnam Co?

He told the GSP they couldn't use his bldg even to use the bathroom?!! What prompted that? Actually, what prompted all this dislike between SS and GBI/GSP... and has this been going on for years and years? Doesn't sound as if writing letters of disgust for this behavior would prompt any change. Is there something that can be done or is that up to the citizens of Putnam Co?

He is the HIGH SHERIFF of Putnam County.

I havent been able to read back through all the threads but if someone were killed a day or so before being decapitated would there be a lot of blood?
Just realized how ridiculous this question was. Sorry I havent been up on this case in months.

Last edited:
New technology to be used in unsolved murder case

Does anyone have any idea of what this new technology could be???

Could it be microbial vacuum/M-Vac technology?? I think the technology has been around for a number of years but I don't think it's been widely available to all law enforcement agencies until the last few years. (Total guessing on my part about that!)

The following info is from the M-Vac site and there is a demo video.

The M-Vac System enables investigators to solve more crime through better DNA collection. It expands potential evidentiary items by collecting DNA from porous and rough objects or surfaces. It helps detectives, analysts and CSI move cases forward. For example, the M-Vac collected probative DNA on a cold case victim's water soaked clothing.

DNA Collection: Solve crime with better forensic DNA collection | M-Vac Systems, Inc

ETA: A March 2019 NC news report about using M-Vac to solve cold cases.
Wilmington police could re-test cold cases, thanks to DNA tech

Last edited:

If they have DNA from the crimescene which they have not, as of yet, been able to match up with anything, could he potentially be talking about trying to match it up with familial DNA?

"Police said they checked the crime scene DNA against one of the genealogy sites that have lately become popular — databases filled with the profiles of people who have volunteered their genetic codes in the hope of discovering their relatives and ancestors. GEDmatch, a free service, confirmed that police used it to identify DeAngelo.

The suspected Golden State Killer was not in this database, either, but it didn’t matter. A distant relative of his was, police say, and that person’s DNA partially matched evidence related to the serial killer. Instantly, the pool of suspects shrank from millions of people down to a single family.

Detectives then used traditional investigative techniques to narrow the family members down to one suspect: DeAngelo, a 72-year-old former police officer who lived within a few miles of many of the attacks."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...entify-joseph-deangelo-as-suspect-police-say/

Maybe the "touch" dna or the familial dna? Maybe the replication of DNA?

I would definitely agree with Sills on this statement in your link. BBM

Sills said he didn’t know if he would describe the conversation as promising, “but anything is a step forward at this point.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back