GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

SS knows who did this I am sure of that. SS claims he thinks this was the result of someone thinking the Dermonds had something they didn't have but I don't buy that for a second. the killers would have ransacked the house looking for whatever it was and according to SS the house was undisturbed except for a lamp shade that was slightly off. Extortion i'd say no to that too because any significant money they could have wanted would have sent out distress signals to law enforcement , besides I believe this happened during the night Friday into Saturday and any significant amount of money the bank requires at least 24 hours notice as to gather the money up.

If the extortion attempt or robbery failed why kill them? it just doesn't make sense neither of these scenarios make sense to me. I say the killers were there to kill them and nothing more but now the question is why and who would want an elderly couple dead? Also why behead the person when they can just carve the bullet out of his skull it would be much easier and less risky?

My thought is this was well planned and someone who knew them well took the time to cover their tracks. Think about it why dump 1 in the lake and not the other? 46 feet of water they had to know eventually they would find her. Leave RD in the garage headless will not lead police to think the wife did this for a single second, remember she was going to have cataract surgery a few days after the murder happened so her eye sight wasn't too good and she's 87 and fragile . Keep in mind her head was bashed in and that tells me this was a person full of rage. Who would have that much rage for a couple that old ? Ask yourself this. If you got to the point of bashing anyones head in how mad would you have to be?

Hey dancin! Your last paragraph makes a LOT of sense. Say Mr. D is murdered, and Mrs. D survives, she could have lived to 100, in an assisted living center. That would have seriously eaten away, whatever Mr. D had left her. So, they both had to go!

IMHO

With this kind of thinking, had Mrs D. survived, she would have eaten away much of what Mr.D had left for her by living in nursing homes, it makes these murders sound like they were done by a family member.

Who else would benefit from the murders except the couple’s children and grandchildren?

I agree it's a madman...whether someone knew them did it or the hired hit just was doing their job...not a care in the world...NO CONSCIENCE EITHER WAY
SS knows who did this I am sure of that. SS claims he thinks this was the result of someone thinking the Dermonds had something they didn't have but I don't buy that for a second. the killers would have ransacked the house looking for whatever it was and according to SS the house was undisturbed except for a lamp shade that was slightly off. Extortion i'd say no to that too because any significant money they could have wanted would have sent out distress signals to law enforcement , besides I believe this happened during the night Friday into Saturday and any significant amount of money the bank requires at least 24 hours notice as to gather the money up.

If the extortion attempt or robbery failed why kill them? it just doesn't make sense neither of these scenarios make sense to me. I say the killers were there to kill them and nothing more but now the question is why and who would want an elderly couple dead? Also why behead the person when they can just carve the bullet out of his skull it would be much easier and less risky?

My thought is this was well planned and someone who knew them well took the time to cover their tracks. Think about it why dump 1 in the lake and not the other? 46 feet of water they had to know eventually they would find her. Leave RD in the garage headless will not lead police to think the wife did this for a single second, remember she was going to have cataract surgery a few days after the murder happened so her eye sight wasn't too good and she's 87 and fragile . Keep in mind her head was bashed in and that tells me this was a person full of rage. Who would have that much rage for a couple that old ? Ask yourself this. If you got to the point of bashing anyones head in how mad would you have to be?

Exactly and The family declined an interview with levi and Tricia...rather ...never responded to a request to interview

Only SS knows how much they inherited and other investigators maybe

New restaraunts opened in 2012 and in 2016 by brad qnd Keith in Florida

With this kind of thinking, had Mrs D. survived, she would have eaten away much of what Mr.D had left for her by living in nursing homes, it makes these murders sound like they were done by a family member.

Who else would benefit from the murders except the couple’s children and grandchildren?

Of they can find the bullet

Somebosy was adept at beheading apparently thought it was easier if that's the reason

Or RD bit the perp

Can't clean his mouth of DNA

I wonder about trophies taken if any

That woukd indicate a serial killer. But no clue if anything was taken..i too think a mess would have beem left behind

Had to be some kind of military or ex cop

Somebody woth forensics knowledge

Either theory centered around money and SS stated nothing of value was stolen and there was plenty of valuable items in the house. Something else just occurred to me if my memory is correct didn't the ad for the house say new carpets and fresh paint? hmmm. odd how this horrible crime didn't affect the décor of the house except for the garage which can easily be fixed.

I remember hearing the Dermonds were associated with the restaurant First Watch. How long have they owned them? How did they finance the second one in 2016?
We wonder! I hope SS knows!

They opened one in 2012 and one in 2016 according to one link I posted, may have 3 of them

My thing has always been that just because someone owns a large home, a vacation home and several businesses........doesnt mean they may not be struggling......and the Dermonds werent rich either, after all they owned business wise.......just had everything paid for I guess which is worth its weight in gold too.

So who is to say the Dermond boys arent or werent struggling

Then there are those that cant follow a budget to save their lives, can THEY?

I hope SS is watching

Either theory centered around money and SS stated nothing of value was stolen and there was plenty of valuable items in the house. Something else just occurred to me if my memory is correct didn't the ad for the house say new carpets and fresh paint? hmmm. odd how this horrible crime didn't affect the décor of the house except for the garage which can easily be fixed.
I dont think the house had much carpet, mostly wood and tile floors, but probalby had been in the house since they built it in what 2000?2004? lol bought the lot in 99

Yeah, someone had mentioned that too, how they didnt go inside to do it because they didnt want to affect the resale or cost them money

Well that would CERTAINLY point to inheritance angle

I assumed it was due to the windows everywhere

good points

I dont think any other family, may have been ONE relative of RD or SD.........not sure though

Or the guy that bought the house

Evidence elusive, but theories narrow in Eatonton murder investigation

Just rehashing some things on this lazy day of mine LOL

The 87-year-old mother of three and grandmother of nine was hung up in the tree line, though it seems apparent she wasn’t meant to be found, unlike her husband.

Sills said she was already dead when the killers discarded her body in one of the deepest parts of the lake.

-----------------------

Im still not sure SS statement about the deepest part of lake was meant to be a generalization or fact but they did say they didnt think she was meant to be found..........yet she was.........in a fishing and high traffic area at the split in the river?

Why do the killers want him found, but not right away
WHy do the killers NOT want HER found?

Unless they were going to haul them BOTH OFF but couldnt get him in the boat , TO ME.........would indicate the beheading was due to some unplanned event, bullet or dna splattered on or in his mouth after biting the perp and therefore an afterthought and then could not haul him away as planned

and besides the fact they went inside to get towels to try to mop up some of the blood and dam it from flowing under the garage door

had this planned, wouldnt the killers have done it where that blood wouldnt flow under the door?

Did some altercation occur right where he was found? there was evidence of struggle, maybe they hit him in the head after he bit them or someone got trigger happy and shot him and so as SS said, looks like he had fallen and slumped there against the car possibly and then they decapped him

So seems to me it was unplanned

Had this been planned, wouldnt they have not had to get towels but came with their own or a tarp or something to prevent all that blood everywhere or atleast further from garage door? Of course they could have moved him but in the chaos maybe they didnt think to move him?

Maybe they didnt know there would be so much blood since he was already dead?

Hmm, maybe it was the mob .....money laundering?
Dermond family established in restaurant business
Interesting the name Ramsey development, Ramsey NJ is where they are all from

Two of their sons, Bradley and Keith, followed in their parents footsteps. They own Florida-based Ramsey Development, which operates fast-food restaurants. According to the Florida Secretary of State's Office, the firm employs 700 people and generates more than $14 million in revenue a year.

Sometimes, it is what you don't see. Does anyone find it strange that their two sons have not used their influence publicly to seek justice for their mom & dad - especially in light of the physical heinousness of the crime? Yes, I have seen the occasional news article around the anniversary date, but wouldn't it be second-nature to want to know who did this and not rest until justice is served? This case would be a sho0-in for Dateline or 48 Hours or even Atlanta local TV and the added national attention would provide additional pressure and resources to solve this, would it not?

Last edited:
Welcome

yes, most of do see that, have since the inception of this crime, with unusual statements IMO

You are right about that, why i rehash so much like many here I'm sure......trying to find SOMEthing

what are we NOT seeing

Wish they would pick it up! Payne Lindsay's podcast picked it up but sadly it was not an investigative podcast like we'd hoped

Tricia and levi did one but ended abruptly and was told the Dermonds didnt respond to requests to be interviewed

SO now here we are

Sometimes, it is what you don't see. Does anyone find it strange that their two sons have not used their influence publicly to seek justice for their mom & dad - especially in light of the physical heinousness of the crime? Yes, I have seen the occasional news article around the anniversary date, but wouldn't it be second-nature to want to know who did this and not rest until justice is served? This case would be a sho0-in for Dateline or 48 Hours or even Atlanta local TV and the added national attention would provide additional pressure and resources to solve this, would it not?

Is it not ridiculous that the sheriff has not wanted the help of the GBI? This seems like pride to me. The book of Proverbs come to mind... 15:22 "plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers, they succeed." & 24:6 "... victory is won through many advisers." Most results, of any significance in life, are achieved through collaboration.

Is it not ridiculous that the sheriff has not wanted the help of the GBI? This seems like pride to me. The book of Proverbs come to mind... 15:22 "plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers, they succeed." & 24:6 "... victory is won through many advisers." Most results, of any significance in life, are achieved through collaboration.
I agree, I dont know where you are from Esvk but there is some corruption in the GBI from what I've heard and know to be true in some cases......

Could be pride, SS, IMO, is very prideful. I think he tends to look past the elite and rich........but in the Nuwapian case that happened many years ago in Putnam County, The way I've read it and understand it is that the GBI was not of help in trying to get this CULT and group of Child molestors detained but instead had SS investigated.........Maybe he was trying to use some small town tactics LOL........IDK ...but I think it's disdain and pride here he has for them.

Im not sure they could help really but I dont know the difference in why the GBI would be more helpful than the FBI, who btw was not of much ehlp..... and I do know the FBI was involved in this case.

Also, Not sure if all the GA databases are linked now but I dont think the GBI or FBI databases are linked........SOOO much the states need to do to get up to par

THis was an interesting statement in the Maurin Case from 1985 that was solved 27 years later

Mansfield said the Riffe brothers were their primary suspects from the beginning of their investigation, but they did not have evidence of probable cause "until much later on."

They never found the Riff brothers fingerprints in the home or car but all the prints they did have were all family members in the car and home

The RIff bro worked for the Maruins on their Christmas tree farm

Unlike the Dermonds, the only one they were going to hire, they never called, the Cement Co

I noticed in this story, which is on Cold Cases on Netflix, Season 1, Ep 2 if intersted........that the family was adamant about finding the killers......so many in the community were afriad but also many witnessed things and told, still it took 27 years

Unlike the Dermond Case.......

A new investigator got on the case 17 years after the murders of this elderly couple and funny thing, 10 years later after all his time investigating this........., an old HS friend of the victims son came forward and told what he knew. LOL........

so this makes SS statement of that phone call a little more understandable..........

but All those years the friend who saw them had been threatened to not tell that he'd seen the brothers with the couple in their car the day they disappeared

What we do know is that upon initial investigation, there wer bank notes spread out in the Living Room of the Maurins home and later discovered that the Maurins had made an$8500 withdrawal, then went missing........

Unlike the Dermonds case

Both were murdered by Gunshot in their car, so there was evidence of a gun, evidence of extortion and evidence that the home was ransacked

Unlike the Dermond case

Thats it.........there was no DNA in 1985.............soooo

Like this case, there is no DNA, however, what evidence was seen in that case, did not happen in this case

They did show up before morning or by sunrise, wanted money, made them drive to the bank and got it that morning

If this is what was intended to happen in the Dermond case ...........I would think they'd have done it during the week if they were extorting money and forcing bank withdrawals............saturday banks are closed or only open half day ....closing at noon...........still, there is time but it seems off to me except they didnt have atm cards......they could have gone inside the bank tho risky for sure

But why behead him? Just shoot them both where they are, they likely killed them both right there in or just outside of the garage anyway....... why haul her off?

NO....... Sometimes I think what KD said is what someone wanted it to look like

A cult...........

I am thinking about the Jessica Chambers case and how the FBI sent a lot of resources to MS and solved it rather quickly. It seems that the Russell/Shirley case could of received similar attention from the FBI *if* there were desire & pressure from the family. Something that I did not observe. I realize the FBI was involved in this case, but it is doubtful that they exhausted their resources. Honestly, this case doesn't seem to be that difficult to solve - unless it was truly random, which is unlikely. I'm literally saying a prayer every day that this will one day be resolved and the perp brought to justice and removed from society. Whoever that may be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?
Back