GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pictures are lovely of the pink marble. So, just how big was/is this boulder?!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

It was a little over a half ton. Marble is 100# a cubic foot. There was a clause in my HOA rules that said that if it was a job that required a professional landscaper, prior approval was needed, which required a plan and a $25,00 fee.

Well, I had it loaded in my pickup truck at the marble quarry and took it to my house, tied it to a tree, and then drove out from under it.. No landscaper required.. LOL

Hockeyguy33, I contacted the GBI via their facebook page back in late 2014 and asked why they were not assisting in the S & R Dermond murder investigation. Their reply was that either the Sheriff or Governor would have to request their assistance, and they had not received a request.

Bumping this post by me from Nov 8/2014:

"Well Folks, who couldn't see this coming"?

After over 7 months without clues or even a plausible motive for the Dermond abduction/decapitation/murders..
I'm not sure that everyone who joined this thread is aware that Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills, refused to request assistance by the GBI<Georgia Bureau of Investigation>. Although utilizing the GBI/State's ME and Crime Lab during the Dermond murder investigation, Sheriff Sills is adamant about leaving the GBI's well trained and very experienced special agents out of the loup.
Imo, all available investigative resources must be utilized in missing/murdered persons investigations to insure success..

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/resident-question-decision-not-call-gbi-help-putna/138068486 - May 15, 2014
Residents question decision not to call GBI for help in Putnam Co. beheading

Where an elderly man was beheaded say they&#8217;re surprised their sheriff hasn&#8217;t called the state for help.
Russell Dermond, 88, was found dead last week in his Reynold&#8217;s Plantation Gate Water home, and investigators believe his wife, Shirley Dermond, was kidnapped.
Bill McClain lives in the same neighborhood in Putnam County.
&#8220;I&#8217;m just surprised. I would think they&#8217;d be calling in all the help they could possibly get,&#8221; McClain said.
McClain said he thought the GBI had already been called in.

Sheriff Sills said his department has not found many clues to the crime or to Shirley Dermond&#8217;s whereabouts, but he said he is not prepared to call in the GBI for help, instead relying on his own 40 years in law enforcement.

&#8220;If you can tell me something the GBI knows how to do that I don&#8217;t know how to do then I will be glad and call them,&#8221; Sills said.
<Video @ link - sniped - Read More>

http://www.examiner.com/article/putn...nd-couple-case
Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills: Profile of cop over Dermond couple case May 15, 2014

And on a final note, long before he would become involved in one of the most bizarre cases in the state, Howard Sills told his peers at the Georgia Sheriff's Association dinner that "if you're calling the state patrol to work every wreck you have, if you're calling the GBI to work every investigation you have, if you're calling somebody else every time something happens in your community, sooner or later, you're going to see a referendum to do away with you, because they're not going to know who you are," the sheriff said.

The Russell and Shirley Dermond case has propelled this Georgia Sheriff Association's Sheriff of the Year front and center in his community in Putnam County and around the nation, so he will probably never have to worry that someone does not know who he is in Eatonton, Ga. and beyond for some time. But whether he is remembered as the lawman who sought and achieved justice for the victims in this case will be determined by the success of his investigation, which is currently one being done in conjunction with many other law enforcement agencies in the country, including the GBI and the FBI.

Because the one thing Mr. Sills stressed more than maintaining independence of his office in his speech was that the job must get done--by the sheriff's office.
<sniped - read more>

this is beginning to enrage me.......He's never solved or worked a crime of this nature....the BIG case he solved years back had all the ducks lined up for him and he knew who he was dealing with, it's gone to his head.....and ....not enough cops, plentyy of tax revenue IMO (roads are horrible too btw) and a cop saving his job that isn't in jeopardy but not doing everything in his power to solve this, isn't calling in other agencies, STANDARD procedure?.............probably too late unless luck comes a knockin

I feel very sorry for the Dermond family, because of one Sheriff's huge ego, this case may never be solved.

'I feel your pain dancinunderthemoon. I was once fined $100.00 a day by the HOA for placing a pink marble boulder in an island in my front yard. The fine eventually reached over $7,000.00. Told them to sue me.. Marble is GA's state rock..
Images for Marble Georgia's state rock
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mar...RAhVG6iYKHdhcAkAQsAQIOA#imgrc=mHcfcEVyGvbZgM:

I sure hope you never had to pay that, rediculous, priorities are out of order here, some things, MAJOR things I can understand but the security and their community signs are something that cost them so they being in charge just dilly dally around until they get ready and like the security cameras, do we really know when they went out? Someone ........was questioned but was it a true statement, for all we know they may have been out for a long time before, who would really care, those "guards" could proablaby care less

'I feel your pain dancinunderthemoon. I was once fined $100.00 a day by the HOA for placing a pink marble boulder in an island in my front yard. The fine eventually reached over $7,000.00. Told them to sue me.. Marble is GA's state rock..
Images for Marble Georgia's state rock
https://www.google.com/search?q=Mar...RAhVG6iYKHdhcAkAQsAQIOA#imgrc=mHcfcEVyGvbZgM:

And that would be GREAT addition to the landscaping, Ive seen many a boulder in yard landscapes, go figure !

I talked at length with a detective friend and he says after doing some research he thinks this case will grow colder and colder . He also said this was not a mob hit and likely wasn't the work of one person. I showed him my research and he found what I showed him to be strange behavior . I can't post it here because the last time I did it was deleted. He also mentioned that if they had hairs and fibers they would have a ood clue as to whom the killers are or at least a profile. He summed it up saying either this department is lacking serious intelligence or they Jonbenet 'd this case.

Saw this article while researching..'Guess, it is a little late to call Fidel Castro for help in the Dermond murder investigation, huh'?

Page 11 of 22 - http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/public/sites/2885/assets/7CT_02.11.2015.pdf
<BBM>
Mark Berryman is the managing editor of The
Elberton Star - WEDNESDAY
February 11, 2015

Friday we traveled to Athens to
hear Putnam County Sheriff Howard
Sills at a Georgia Press Association
gathering.
Howard came to Athens to talk to
journalists from newspapers across
the state about relationships between
journalists and the sheriffs in
their local communities.

It is Howard who is currently
neck deep in a baffling murder
investigation involving the death of
a couple in a gated community on
Lake Oconee.

In May of last year a man, who
had been beheaded, was found in a home on the lake, and several
days later investigators located the body of his wife in Lake
Oconee.

I&#8217;ve known Howard Sills since the early 1990s, and he has
never, ever been at a loss for words.
He takes pride in being responsible for enforcing the laws of
his county.
And he scoffs at the notion that his sheriff&#8217;s department
needs assistance from other state agencies in Putnam County.

I asked him about a quote I had read online attributed to him.
He was quoted as saying to his fellow sheriffs at a Georgia
Sheriffs&#8217; Association dinner, &#8220;If you&#8217;re calling the state patrol
to work every wreck you have, if you&#8217;re calling the GBI to work
every investigation you have, if you&#8217;re calling somebody else every
time something happens in your community, sooner or later,
you&#8217;re going to see a referendum to do away with you, because
they&#8217;re not going to know who you are.&#8221;

But Friday, Howard said he wouldn&#8217;t hesitate to call in anybody
- anybody - who could help him solve the May 2014 double
homicide on Lake Oconee.
&#8220;I would call in Fidel Castro himself and bring him to Putnam
County if I thought he could solve this crime,&#8221; Howard
said.
&#8220;I have called in the FBI ... they did try some things that I
wouldn&#8217;t be able to do, but ...&#8221;

His voice trailed off.
This double murder haunts him..

Saw this article while researching..'Guess, it is a little late to call Fidel Castro for help in the Dermond murder investigation, huh'?

Page 11 of 22 - http://matchbin-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/public/sites/2885/assets/7CT_02.11.2015.pdf
<BBM>
Mark Berryman is the managing editor of The
Elberton Star - WEDNESDAY
February 11, 2015

Friday we traveled to Athens to
hear Putnam County Sheriff Howard
Sills at a Georgia Press Association
gathering.
Howard came to Athens to talk to
journalists from newspapers across
the state about relationships between
journalists and the sheriffs in
their local communities.

It is Howard who is currently
neck deep in a baffling murder
investigation involving the death of
a couple in a gated community on
Lake Oconee.

In May of last year a man, who
had been beheaded, was found in a home on the lake, and several
days later investigators located the body of his wife in Lake
Oconee.

I&#8217;ve known Howard Sills since the early 1990s, and he has
never, ever been at a loss for words.
He takes pride in being responsible for enforcing the laws of
his county.
And he scoffs at the notion that his sheriff&#8217;s department

I asked him about a quote I had read online attributed to him.
He was quoted as saying to his fellow sheriffs at a Georgia
Sheriffs&#8217; Association dinner, &#8220;If you&#8217;re calling the state patrol
to work every wreck you have, if you&#8217;re calling the GBI to work
every investigation you have, if you&#8217;re calling somebody else every
time something happens in your community, sooner or later,
you&#8217;re going to see a referendum to do away with you, because
they&#8217;re not going to know who you are.&#8221;

But Friday, Howard said he wouldn&#8217;t hesitate to call in anybody
- anybody - who could help him solve the May 2014 double
homicide on Lake Oconee.
&#8220;I would call in Fidel Castro himself and bring him to Putnam
County if I thought he could solve this crime,&#8221; Howard
said.
&#8220;I have called in the FBI ... they did try some things that I
wouldn&#8217;t be able to do, but ...&#8221;

His voice trailed off.
This double murder haunts him..

And he "scoffs" at the notion that his sheriff&#8217;s department
................I was not impressed with the deputy who came to my place about a failed breakin and theft of some watercraft...........he wasn't even aware of other things that had gone on in the area..........he joked most of the time, bless his heart, he was nice as could be, but he admitted they dont have enough deputies per shift, 4, so my impression was that there wasn't anything anyone can do about anything around the county...........scoff sounds like a prideful thing .......JMO

I talked at length with a detective friend and he says after doing some research he thinks this case will grow colder and colder . He also said this was not a mob hit and likely wasn't the work of one person. I showed him my research and he found what I showed him to be strange behavior . I can't post it here because the last time I did it was deleted. He also mentioned that if they had hairs and fibers they would have a ood clue as to whom the killers are or at least a profile. He summed it up saying either this department is lacking serious intelligence or they Jonbenet 'd this case.

The deputy that came out, see my above post, said it was a mob hit from up north...............SMH....... I think Sills has deputies that he can control and dont have much else to do, they're just there to do as told IMO...........this nuwabian case was easy, he had a trail and they knew who he was

I feel very sorry for the Dermond family, because of one Sheriff's huge ego, this case may never be solved.

THANK YOU!! Me sentiments exactly. SO sad, such a shame, the people in the area, the old times,the "islanders" just worship him, the part timers are very little involved in the community

the murderers had to know the area well , had to know the river well , and had to know the dermonds .The house was so clean you could eat off the floor Sills said. Mobsters wouldn't cut off the head unless he ratted on them and I doubt he's ratted on them since he was 88 years old .What was to gain by killing a 88 year old man and his 87 year old wife? They have fingerprints, they have dna, they have all evidence yet no suspects or even a person of interest. So Sills is saying whoever did this murder has never been arrested for any crime before and his fingerprints aren't on file. This person just pulled off the perfect murder is what we are to believe? I think Sills knows who did this but he can't prove it so he sits and waits and waits waits. My guess is the evidence he has is connected to someone who has been in the house many times before and he knows the evidence wouldn't hold up in court. He knows what weapons were used and if their coroner is worth his paycheck they know if the person is short or tall, lefty or righty,they would also know how many blows each one took. Taking someones head off is an act of rage or revenge and anyone in a fit of rage will not clean the place as well as the murderers did nor will a drug addict or a common thief or even a professional thief for that matter. This was planned out by someone familiar with the area, someone who knew the Dermonds, their house, the huge lake . My guess is that oat came from the opposite direction that it left with Mrs Dermond there was no way they would risk taking the same route twice. Most main docks have cameras or at least cameras at a nearby intersection have all of those been checked?

No updates in how long? You'd think he'd want this to be kept alive hoping he would get a lead. Not updating the public every so often or at least once per year tells me he knows who did this but can't get a conviction unless either the murderer confesses or someone rats him out. Family staying silent after this long with no suspects no leads is another thing I find odd. Their parents were murdered and the father was beheaded and that should make the family fight for justice. I also find it odd that the press has not pressed Sills constantly for more information than they have. This was not your average murder or even average double murder this was an elderly couple brutally murdered but yet the family of the victims remain quiet. They aren't quiet for fear someone will come after them or for fear they will hurt the investigation because they can't hurt this investigation by asking for the publics help or pressing the states attorney generals office to step in. Sills sits in his office rocking in his chair just waiting for a confession from the murderers is not going to solve this horrible crime. I know if I lived in that county I would not feel safe and i'd probably sell my house. I just hope someday the murderer confesses or Sills tells us who the female family member who he interviewed twice who broke down once and that he didn't trust her statements is. Hope isn't just a town in Arkansas

I am positive, as I have said from the very beginning, that the reason Mr. D's head was cut off was because a bullet entered but did not exit his skull. The murderers knew that ballistics could possibly link the bullet in his head with the gun used if the bullet and the gun were recovered. Although the murders were meticulously planned, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

Reference "Headless Body in a Topless Bar" case.

"Killer behind HEADLESS BODY IN TOPLESS BAR headline hoping to go free after 30 years behind bars"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...IN-TOPLESS-BAR-hoping-free-30-years-bars.html

"Headless Body Found in Topless Bar"
http://www.investigationdiscovery.c...id-videos/headless-body-found-in-topless-bar/

This is the post from November 21, 2014 (Dermond thread # 9, post #573)
I do not know any of the people involved in this case so I started research on this case with a blank slate. Everything I know I have gotten from media videos or reports, Google searches, YouTube videos, maps, tax records, etc. Do you live around lake Oconee or Eatonton?
I absolutely do not believe that the D's family had anything to do with this nor did the Nuwaubian or any other cult. The beheading of Mr. D I believe was not foreseen in an otherwise fastidiously planned double murder. This was in response to a bullet entering but not exiting his skull and his head was removed to leave no evidence. See the "Headless Body in a Topless Bar" case as a reference.
http://nypost.com/2010/02/22/83-killer-in-denial/

I think if they have DNA and fingerprints they don't have a suspect. Because if they did they would have gotten DNA/fingerprints surreptitiously from the suspect and compared, even if it took awhile.

I think if they have DNA and fingerprints they don't have a suspect. Because if they did they would have gotten DNA/fingerprints surreptitiously from the suspect and compared, even if it took awhile.
It sounds like Sills may be spinning the recovered fingerprints and DNA evidence. Meaning, they have a lot of fingerprints and DNA but none of it is from the perp (s).

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

This is the post from November 21, 2014 (Dermond thread # 9, post #573)

Foxfire post #164 - 06/28/2014

Found Deceased GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 8
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Dermond-88-Putnam-County-2-May-2014-8/page11

NJ State VS Savage
http://nj.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19900719_0040484.NJ.htm/qx
A jury convicted defendant, Roy Savage, of the capital murder of Carolyn Hubbard and sentenced him to death.

<I am only 20% into the book Ungodly; by Bill Olinski; AJC Journalist's decade plus journey investigating Dwight Malachi York. In 1979, York was the leader of the Ansaru Allah Community in Brooklyn, NY. His right hand man; Roy Savage; Hashim the Warrior, was the leader of DMZY's security force; the Mujahid; a well trained and disciplined paramilitary.organization>

For more info on the Nuwaubian Cult go to the parking lot thread:
The Parking Lot - Nuwaubian Cult
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...uwaubian-Cult/page12&highlight=nuwaubian+cult

the murderers had to know the area well , had to know the river well , and had to know the dermonds .The house was so clean you could eat off the floor Sills said. Mobsters wouldn't cut off the head unless he ratted on them and I doubt he's ratted on them since he was 88 years old .What was to gain by killing a 88 year old man and his 87 year old wife? They have fingerprints, they have dna, they have all evidence yet no suspects or even a person of interest. So Sills is saying whoever did this murder has never been arrested for any crime before and his fingerprints aren't on file. This person just pulled off the perfect murder is what we are to believe? I think Sills knows who did this but he can't prove it so he sits and waits and waits waits. My guess is the evidence he has is connected to someone who has been in the house many times before and he knows the evidence wouldn't hold up in court. He knows what weapons were used and if their coroner is worth his paycheck they know if the person is short or tall, lefty or righty,they would also know how many blows each one took. Taking someones head off is an act of rage or revenge and anyone in a fit of rage will not clean the place as well as the murderers did nor will a drug addict or a common thief or even a professional thief for that matter. This was planned out by someone familiar with the area, someone who knew the Dermonds, their house, the huge lake . My guess is that oat came from the opposite direction that it left with Mrs Dermond there was no way they would risk taking the same route twice. Most main docks have cameras or at least cameras at a nearby intersection have all of those been checked?

No updates in how long? You'd think he'd want this to be kept alive hoping he would get a lead. Not updating the public every so often or at least once per year tells me he knows who did this but can't get a conviction unless either the murderer confesses or someone rats him out. Family staying silent after this long with no suspects no leads is another thing I find odd. Their parents were murdered and the father was beheaded and that should make the family fight for justice. I also find it odd that the press has not pressed Sills constantly for more information than they have. This was not your average murder or even average double murder this was an elderly couple brutally murdered but yet the family of the victims remain quiet. They aren't quiet for fear someone will come after them or for fear they will hurt the investigation because they can't hurt this investigation by asking for the publics help or pressing the states attorney generals office to step in. Sills sits in his office rocking in his chair just waiting for a confession from the murderers is not going to solve this horrible crime. I know if I lived in that county I would not feel safe and i'd probably sell my house. I just hope someday the murderer confesses or Sills tells us who the female family member who he interviewed twice who broke down once and that he didn't trust her statements is. Hope isn't just a town in Arkansas

Very well written and so this means the LI perp who was recently arrested is not the same because he apparently left a trail. I too wonder who the family member is and I guess we dont know that they haven't spoken to LE, but seems they have not and Sills isn't informative or seeminly concerned.

Sills once mentioned her interviewed a female family member who broke down during her interview . Not sure if that was the daughter or could be a daughter inlaw or granddaughter or perhaps other family member . He said he interviewed her twice and that he only interviews twice if the person was not truthful. Nothing has been mentioned about that person since then which makes me suspicious. What made him think she wasn't being truthful? Usually when someone isn't truthful they are hiding something whether it be for themselves or someone they know. Whoever did this knew this area and the house very well as well as the lake and local area.. Lets say someone planned this out like a hit man. 1 why would they pick an elderly couple who had money yet stole nothing from them after they killed them? Random murder as in they just picked a house and decided to behead a victim for kicks? No this couldn't be it because this was a middle class maybe upper middle class family home with plenty of valuables something would have been stolen keep in mind this as a random murder we are talking about so it was done in the spur of the moment which means they had no plan except chaos.

Now lets review what really happened. 2 elderly people were killed, Sills says evidence was found including all forms ( apparently the fingerprints and dna was not in any database which I find odd since this person clearly has a criminal mind. Nothing was stolen = Plenty of valuables including cars, cash, antiques ( old people of all classes have antiques worth stealing. ) No ransom call? very odd since they didn't take anything of value what was the sense of them breaking into the house? This one has been thrown out here before so lets examine this one. A cult killing? Possibly and beheading is a religious thing but I doubt any of those in that cult are still in the area since their leaders arrest and most have probably gone far away from there to rebuild. Seems they have gone back towards New York area and they probably wouldn't want to come back for fear of being recognized but it's still possible because of the beheading but even they would take some valuables or cash wouldn't they? What was to gain by killing an 99 year old man and beheading him and killing an 87 year old woman and dumping her body in the lake with blocks tied to her?

IMO, this was planned and executed by someone who didn't gain anything other than emotional satisfaction in committing the crime and having a moment of power over the Dermonds. Or that was their primary intent; they may have gained something material but it wasn't their main motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member