GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
He stated at the beginning that anyone who donated could get a refund after a year if there wasn't anyone seeking the reward

Hi all, it's been ages since I posted here but I always check in. I'm not sure whether I ever had a strong theory or posted it, but mine too has always been hired hit by a family member OR business associate. Reasons being the lack of robbery/nothing taken, the bizarre nature of the murders themselves, and that IMO, they were planned.

I think the chances of this getting solved are slim to none, but there's always hope.

Nothing seem to be missing, according to Sills. One theory I have is that Mr. D loaned someone some money a while back. Perhaps he was getting ready to call in that loan because he needed some cash ? And that person did not have the cash to repay the loan. Decided he would just kill the Dermonds since there was no paper IOU trail. Thought that beheading Mr. D would cause the cops to think it was drug-related.

Creepy that this person could still be running around free! Sad that the Dermonds do not have justice!

Nothing seem to be missing, according to Sills. One theory I have is that Mr. D loaned someone some money a while back. Perhaps he was getting ready to call in that loan because he needed some cash ? And that person did not have the cash to repay the loan. Decided he would just kill the Dermonds since there was no paper IOU trail. Thought that beheading Mr. D would cause the cops to think it was drug-related.

Creepy that this person could still be running around free! Sad that the Dermonds do not have justice!

Definitely a possibility! And that person could just as easily be a family member as it could be a business associate. Regardless, there HAS to be some kind of triggering event, IMO, that led to the murders occurring at that time. Although the nature of the crime itself was quite different, it reminds me of Bob Harrod's case in that the victim(s) were elderly, and wealthy. The triggering event in that case was that poor old Mr. Harrod found himself a new love late in life, and she was set to inherit all his money, and his adult children didn't like that. Although the case remains unsolved (body not found), that's the prevailing theory and there's pretty strong circumstantial evidence pointing in their direction.

So, in this case, is there a trigger event? Of course, Sills isn't going to share that with us, but I certainly hope he finds one if there is.

Here's a link to Bob Harrod's thread in case anyone is interested:
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?258521-CA-Bob-Harrod-81-Orange-County-27-July-2009-19

ALot of people didnt think so, IIRC, just wondered, and maybe no one was allowed to discuss the family here, earlier in the investigation

Yeah sad about the reward money HOckeyguy.............makes sense to me.........the family also got out of town quickly after they all flew in after the murders and didnt even stay for the vigil that was the same week the kids were in town IIRC, that the D's church hosted, no one contacted the parents after the derby party to chit chat on the subject, as Leslie is a big horse fan and was just there not a week before, atleast we know no one did a welfare check becuase the kids couldnt get in touch with them or they'd have been foudn sooner and they had to be informed of the situation on tuesday after the murder, i always thought someone might be sitting and waiting for their inheritance and these 2 may have lived to be 110!, the home alarm system had issues while she was there, some female family member lied about something according to SS...... just wish someone would come forward, WHY THE HECK did he refund the reward money!??! These things take time sometimes, what's going to give this away if it was family?

IF it was someone related to the Dermonds, they probably hired an unrelated person to do the job for them. The more people who are in on a secret, the more likely someone is to talk. Hopefully, this will happen, sooner rather than later. SS is very smart, and perhaps he leaked the info about lies told by a female family member for a reason. Maybe this was his way of saying, "We have our perps, but we are waiting for some solid evidence."

IMHO

I haven't been on in a long time I am sorry to say but I think about this case often. I came here today to see if anything has come to light and so sad to still see no arrest yet. I totally agree with you hockeyguy33. I've personally always felt a family member involved as well but hate to sound accusing of such a horrific crime, but it's been long enough! I still pray for an arrest or something or confession for this beautiful couple whom at that age did not deserve what happened to them. So so sad.

It's been solved already SS knows who did it but he can't get a conviction without a confession or a witness. My best guess is someone in the family paid a employee to do the job. The family member gave specific instructions on not damaging the house or stealing anything ( because they would inherit ) The beheading was a sign of rage and the person hired was most likely instructed to do this to Mr Dermond and not mrs dermond . No chance of a confession because there's not enough reward money left. Family inherited at least a million but decided not to put up anything as a reward. Not a peep out of the family for over a year now , no anger over not having a suspect, sold the house quickly . Never heard a word from the daughter after her father as beheaded. The idea of the family staying quiet for fear the killer would come after them is wrong. Why would the killer come after them and risk being caught?

I haven't been on in a long time I am sorry to say but I think about this case often. I came here today to see if anything has come to light and so sad to still see no arrest yet. I totally agree with you hockeyguy33. I've personally always felt a family member involved as well but hate to sound accusing of such a horrific crime, but it's been long enough! I still pray for an arrest or something or confession for this beautiful couple whom at that age did not deserve what happened to them. So so sad.
Would a family member hire someone to behead their Dad and
dump their dead mother in the lake? I really have a tough time envisioning this. Why not push them down the stairs?

This was an in your face message.
To their children. The elder Dermonds were expendable. Better to use them as a warning first before the others get whacked.
JMO.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

dump their dead mother in the lake? I really have a tough time envisioning this. Why not push them down the stairs?

To their children. The elder Dermonds were expendable. Better to use them as a warning first before the others get whacked.
JMO.

I don't think it's immediate family; more on the periphery.

Why the periphery? What was their motive?

Money. My theory is a loan came due and Mr. D was expecting to be paid back.

It's been solved already SS knows who did it but he can't get a conviction without a confession or a witness. My best guess is someone in the family paid a employee to do the job. The family member gave specific instructions on not damaging the house or stealing anything ( because they would inherit ) The beheading was a sign of rage and the person hired was most likely instructed to do this to Mr Dermond and not mrs dermond . No chance of a confession because there's not enough reward money left. Family inherited at least a million but decided not to put up anything as a reward. Not a peep out of the family for over a year now , no anger over not having a suspect, sold the house quickly . Never heard a word from the daughter after her father as beheaded. The idea of the family staying quiet for fear the killer would come after them is wrong. Why would the killer come after them and risk being caught?

Not damaging house or stealing anything, I think that is the clincher. That raised a red flag for me right away. MOO

JMO.

It is unthinkable for a family member to arrange a murder and beheading of their elder. I do believe it is possible, however, when you consider "the love of money."

Another possibility, of which I wrote sometime earlier, is the "hitman" performed the beheading as an afterthought. The mastermind did not order this.

IMHO

He stated at the beginning that anyone who donated could get a refund after a year if there wasn't anyone seeking the reward

Yes I saw that, noble, but good grief, now there's nothing, did he expect someone to call within a month? I guess so........

IF it was someone related to the Dermonds, they probably hired an unrelated person to do the job for them. The more people who are in on a secret, the more likely someone is to talk. Hopefully, this will happen, sooner rather than later. SS is very smart, and perhaps he leaked the info about lies told by a female family member for a reason. Maybe this was his way of saying, "We have our perps, but we are waiting for some solid evidence."

IMHO

I like that.......... he said he didnt think she was involved, but he'd "never say never"...........So, we know where he stands on that issue....not likely to just push it under the rug
but so far, nothing has drawn anyone out but someone knows

Im not so convinced SS knows or thinks he knows, he seems so baffled and he has said a few times "anything that is halfway sane" is a good theory

I know, I asked why but was really saying I didnt agree.... LOL

I guess it's pointless for money of that magnitude, even tho not that much reward money really, to not sit there for years, but like someone said below, it takes time and I agree, that may have helped down the road, seems like SS just gave up......I would have wanted to wait longer before giving up even thought it's been what? 2 years when it was refunded or longer?

I just like anything that will help bring out the killers or a person in the know

Yeah I wondered if there was a private loan too, no one would know a thing about that.........surely Mr d was wiser but who knows, if he trusted someone highly or if it was an ATTY, easy for him to say hey, I'll get this document registered and get you a copy and never do it...........we've seen on recent cases in this area what money can do or the appearances so far anyway

I don't think it had anything to do with a loan since SS said he went over all the financials for a few years back and found nothing. A small loan wouldn't bring about a murder the dermonds would just let it go and cut their losses. IMO I might be wrong .. I'm focusing on the woman who wasn't truthful and i'd like to know who the woman he is going to see this month is. Things that make you go hmmm

I don't think it's a loan either. I think it's whoever was going to inherit from them. That could be a family member in deep debt, needing drugs, etc. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie