GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just see that 1 was beheaded and the other wasn't and that tells me there was more anger towards Mr D than Mrs D . Mr D being found headless in the garage and his wife dumped in a lake. 1 seems like the main target and the other seems like a we had to killing . I think Mrs D was left in the lake because as 1 of the sons stated she wanted her ashes spread over the lake when she died. Someone went to extra work to put her in the lake where they knew she would be found eventually even without the weights on her feet

I just see that 1 was beheaded and the other wasn't and that tells me there was more anger towards Mr D than Mrs D . Mr D being found headless in the garage and his wife dumped in a lake. 1 seems like the main target and the other seems like a we had to killing . I think Mrs D was left in the lake because as 1 of the sons stated she wanted her ashes spread over the lake when she died. Someone went to extra work to put her in the lake where they knew she would be found eventually even without the weights on her feet

Now, I understand, hockey. So Mrs. D was left in the lake, where she wanted to be, minus the expenses of a funeral home. Who knew her desires for internment ? Those who were closest to her...Hmm

IMHO

Contradictions abound in this confounding double murder case. SS stated early on in the investigation that SD's body surfacing in the lake was the killers' only mistake and that it (the body) was never meant to be found. Then there's the mysterious figure in the yard at first thought to be connected to the murders only to be ruled out as a suspect. Then there's the contradiction in manner and type of evidence, if any. Ach!
I still marvel at the absence of any true suspects in this case and the fact that no one has yet to talk (in view of there having to be at least 3 active participants). And if there were at least 3 active participants I'd argue there are several more who may know something but haven't come forward. I recall SS saying how unusual it was that no chatter emerged within the prison system after the murders, a veritable breeding ground for inmate talk and informants looking to share information in exchange for a sentence reduction.
I do agree RD was targeted and that these murders had a connection to the past, the far past. I have difficulty with the theory that these murders were committed to strike fear into someone close to the Dermonds. That just doesn't add up when you consider their ages and time left on this earth passing quickly. I could be wrong. I believe SS and his team thoroughly vetted each surviving Dermond and spouse, including but not limited to lie detector tests, forensic analysis of past and present bank account /credit card statements (follow the money). Nothing panned out.
So back to the far past theory. I'd argue that something happened toward the end of RD's career in business that caused someone great hardship either directly or indirectly. Maybe someone was squeezed out of a deal or caught embezzling and their life spiraled downward. Perhaps someone served some time and had 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to plot revenge. When this case first came to my attention I thought someone recently released from prison fulfilled a longstanding desire for revenge. I know I'm grasping at straws but there's not much more to go on with this most confounding case.

Contradictions abound in this confounding double murder case. SS stated early on in the investigation that SD's body surfacing in the lake was the killers' only mistake and that it (the body) was never meant to be found. Then there's the mysterious figure in the yard at first thought to be connected to the murders only to be ruled out as a suspect. Then there's the contradiction in manner and type of evidence, if any. Ach!
I still marvel at the absence of any true suspects in this case and the fact that no one has yet to talk (in view of there having to be at least 3 active participants). And if there were at least 3 active participants I'd argue there are several more who may know something but haven't come forward. I recall SS saying how unusual it was that no chatter emerged within the prison system after the murders, a veritable breeding ground for inmate talk and informants looking to share information in exchange for a sentence reduction.
I do agree RD was targeted and that these murders had a connection to the past, the far past. I have difficulty with the theory that these murders were committed to strike fear into someone close to the Dermonds. That just doesn't add up when you consider their ages and time left on this earth passing quickly. I could be wrong. I believe SS and his team thoroughly vetted each surviving Dermond and spouse, including but not limited to lie detector tests, forensic analysis of past and present bank account /credit card statements (follow the money). Nothing panned out.
So back to the far past theory. I'd argue that something happened toward the end of RD's career in business that caused someone great hardship either directly or indirectly. Maybe someone was squeezed out of a deal or caught embezzling and their life spiraled downward. Perhaps someone served some time and had 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to plot revenge. When this case first came to my attention I thought someone recently released from prison fulfilled a longstanding desire for revenge. I know I'm grasping at straws but there's not much more to go on with this most confounding case.

Do you remember the name of the Dermond's restaurant holding corporation in Atlanta? I can't find it anymore.

I still believe that when they sold the holding company they carried a SIGNIFICANT amount of the sale on paper, getting payments. Getting a very large percentage of loan from banks, etc. for restaurants is next to impossible to get. Because of the way their estate seemed to be set up, even if the restaurants were sold to family members payments would still have to be made in order to be fair to the non participating family members I believe. (I hope that makes sense) With those restaurants being franchises, those loans could very easy be violated from the mere franchise agreements being violated. In other words if Hardees, the Parent Franchisor decided to pull ALL Hardees out of a certain market, yank the signs etc. that or those restaurants become nearly worthless except for the equipment and such. But the signor or holding company would still be liable to the Dermond's for the balance due of the loans.

This only an example fraction of how deep the motivation's may go and a forensic accountant plus franchise agreement expert to unravel what did or may have taken place.

Bottom Line: I do and have always believed these murders are connected to money and the sale of those businesses.

JMO's

I still believe that when they sold the holding company they carried a SIGNIFICANT amount of the sale on paper, getting payments. Getting a very large percentage of loan from banks, etc. for restaurants is next to impossible to get. Because of the way their estate seemed to be set up, even if the restaurants were sold to family members payments would still have to be made in order to be fair to the non participating family members I believe. (I hope that makes sense) With those restaurants being franchises, those loans could very easy be violated from the mere franchise agreements being violated. In other words if Hardees, the Parent Franchisor decided to pull ALL Hardees out of a certain market, yank the signs etc. that or those restaurants become nearly worthless except for the equipment and such. But the signor or holding company would still be liable to the Dermond's for the balance due of the loans.

This only an example fraction of how deep the motivation's may go and a forensic accountant plus franchise agreement expert to unravel what did or may have taken place.

Bottom Line: I do and have always believed these murders are connected to money and the sale of those businesses.

JMO's

Assuming you are correct, what would have been the motive? Revenge?

Assuming you are correct, what would have been the motive? Revenge?

Or possibly to get out from under huge loan debt. If a benefactor was also a debtor the deaths could dismiss the loans, as an example. The holding company could be free from the notes possibly in my opinion.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post that another reason the Dermond's would likely carry notes on the sale of the restaurants could be to break down the tax incident on gains over a period of years instead of all at once in one single year that would be payable to the IRS and such.

jmo's

Last edited:
Almost like they didnt die...........ALmost like no one did it.............I just came on here after re watching the Watts case........Shan-ann disappeared like SD. Car at home, wallet at home, phone at home, no evidence in their house, nothing stolen.........maybe we can watch CW mannerisms and compare. (CW never lost his temper, very calm, got along with everyone, no criminal record or DUI, great work ethics, in the end, basically just wanted out, wanted it finished, for his own desires) Or maybe the one that needs analyzing cant be seen. BD was the only one who went in the garage, SS looking for a reaction. WHy not the others?I know they passed Poly's, rare but not impossible if guilty, but I just cant forget how KD didnt want to be videoed or recorded and some of his statements seem quite strange for a grieving son, CW strangled his wife and children, then dumped his CHILDREN in an oil vat for GOd's sake.....families can have crazy people in them.......but with all the no evidence, I dont know about you all but IM still thinking someone did kill them.......tired of the confusion coming from SS and media too........

Last edited:
Or possibly to get out from under huge loan debt. If a benefactor was also a debtor the deaths could dismiss the loans, as an example. The holding company could be free from the notes possibly in my opinion.

I forgot to mention in the earlier post that another reason the Dermond's would likely carry notes on the sale of the restaurants could be to break down the tax incident on gains over a period of years instead of all at once in one single year that would be payable to the IRS and such.

jmo's
so all the sale or inheritance is free and clear?

What happened?
What was the motive?
Why did it happen?

Happenings: Retired well-to-do Elderly man beheaded in his garage, no weapons found, no struggle inside home or garage, clothed in pj's, nothing stolen, no GSR or gunshot wound, elderly wife missing, no rape when found, anchored to bottom of lake 5 miles down river but not enough weight to keep her down, laundry netting used around cinder blocks and ankles bound, bludgeoned with sharp object, clothed in casual attire; wallets, phone/s, ID, keys still at home, no meds taken, cars in garage, House was clean and had appearance of a staged home for sale, home not on market at the time of deaths

Motive: 88 yr old healthy well to do retired couple had No known enemies

WHY?

What happened?
What was the motive?
Why did it happen?

Happenings: Retired well-to-do Elderly man beheaded in his garage, no weapons found, no struggle inside home or garage, clothed in pj's, nothing stolen, no GSR or gunshot wound, elderly wife missing, no rape when found, anchored to bottom of lake 5 miles down river but not enough weight to keep her down, laundry netting used around cinder blocks and ankles bound, bludgeoned with sharp object, clothed in casual attire; wallets, phone/s, ID, keys still at home, no meds taken, cars in garage, House was clean and had appearance of a staged home for sale, home not on market at the time of deaths

Motive: 88 yr old healthy well to do retired couple had No known enemies

WHY?

The no known enemies is the key. They definitely had at least one enemy, and someone has an idea about who it was. Sometimes people just want to walk away and let a bad memory dissipate. Much more to the Dermonds (at least him) than we know.

Speaking of no known enemies...could it be he just royally ticked someone off? Someone he didn't know well but maybe they had an arguement, a neighbor perhaps. Sometimes people, as they get older, get crabby. Someone who had had it with this grumpy old geezer (thinking like someone who doesn't like him). Thinking about Rand Paul and his neighbor.

Shirley may have been an afterthought and he/they needed to get rid of her. They also needed to take the heat off of the horrific beheading. This way LE had another problem to focus on. Where is Mrs. D?

Just a thought. That would explain a "clean getaway" and the ease with which he/she/they came on the property. Any neighbors who have a quick temper? A low threshold for
confrontation? Maybe the perp(s) live closer than imagined.

Speaking of no known enemies...could it be he just royally ticked someone off? Someone he didn't know well but maybe they had an arguement, a neighbor perhaps. Sometimes people, as they get older, get crabby. Someone who had had it with this grumpy old geezer (thinking like someone who doesn't like him). Thinking about Rand Paul and his neighbor.

Shirley may have been an afterthought and he/they needed to get rid of her. They also needed to take the heat off of the horrific beheading. This way LE had another problem to focus on. Where is Mrs. D?

Just a thought. That would explain a "clean getaway" and the ease with which he/she/they came on the property. Any neighbors who have a quick temper? A low threshold for
confrontation? Maybe the perp(s) live closer than imagined.

Awhile back it was also posted that the Dermonds opened their door for the murderer(s) as if they either knew them or were at least familiar with them. I hate to think a neighbor could be so quick tempered or violent with this old couple, but who knows these days. Glad my brain doesn't go there.

Awhile back it was also posted that the Dermonds opened their door for the murderer(s) as if they either knew them or were at least familiar with them. I hate to think a neighbor could be so quick tempered or violent with this old couple, but who knows these days. Glad my brain doesn't go there.
Presumed they did because there was no forced entry.......maybe they did, maybe they didnt but in addition, there was nothing out of place at home. So IF someone went inside, there was some trust as there was no scuffle........Or maybe RD or SD just went outside. If it was daytime there may have been a little more trust thinking nothing would happen in the daytime as opposed to nighttime. Also dont know if the garage door had been up and someone came in or snooped around there luring them or one of them outside initially. The front door was locked, the GW friends who found him had entered the back door from the screen porch when no one answered the front door and after calling 911 exited the front door and waited on porch. SS seems to think that the short time the friends were there didnt compromise forensics in any way........but when they opened those doors, that surely messed up any prints, if they werent wearing gloves, surely the perps would have been though and if they even went inside.............Ive been watching speech analysis videos...........interesting......SS has his suspicions, just needs something to prove it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419