GA - Shirley & Russell Dermond, Putnam County **Media Links***NO DISCUSSION***

Discussion in 'Located Timeline and Media Links' started by bessie, May 16, 2014.

1. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Elderly man killed, wife missing in central Georgia
    Police baffled by Lake Oconee man’s death, missing wife
    Desperate search on for 87-year-old Georgia woman after husband found beheaded in lakeside home: police
    Putnam coroner: victim was beheaded

2. Loading...

3. bessie

Autopsy Shows Man Was Dead When His Head Was Cut Off
    Victim's son: Putnam murder 'makes no sense'
    FBI asked to help in search for missing Ga. woman
    Son of slain Putnam father, missing mother: ‘They didn’t deserve this’
    Dermond killer wasn’t local, Putnam residents believe
    Russell Dermond, 88, Found Beheaded; Wife Shirley Dermond Missing: Report
    Putnam residents don’t think Dermond killer was local
    Billboards of missing elderly woman now up in metro Atlanta
    New search coming in Putnam slaying

4. bessie

Search for missing woman moves to vacant lots
    Decapitation mystery: Sheriff rules out mob hit
    Understanding the incomprehensible
    Candlelight service remembers Dermonds, community
    FBI posts reward for missing wife of beheaded man

5. bessie

Decapitation mystery: Security camera wasn't on, son tells AJC
    Decapitation mystery | Russell Dermond was World War II vet, golfer
    Sills says ... Putnam’s sheriff speaking plainly
    Residents question decision not to call GBI for help in Putnam Co. beheading
    Putnam Co. officials continue search for Shirley Dermond

6. bessie

Missing wife of decapitated Georgia man found dead in lake
    Missing Putnam County woman's body found in Lake Oconee
    Investigators find body of Shirley Dermond on Lake Oconee
    Sheriff: ‘Now we know Shirley Dermond was murdered’

7. bessie

Coroner: Shirley Dermond died from blunt force trauma
    Sheriff: Shirley Dermond died of blunt force trauma to the head
    Motive in Lake Oconee killings may be ‘something crazy’

8. bessie

Investigators track new leads in Lake Oconee killings
    Coroner: Wife of decapitated Georgia man was killed, dumped in lake
    Lake Oconee search on hold today

9. bessie

Investigation continues in Putnam Co. murder case
    Murdered elderly couple -- Sheriff says Dermonds likely knew killers

10. bessie

Sills: Dermond killers came by boat
    *If you have trouble opening TheTelegraph link, press the ESCAPE key while the page is loading.

Dermond slayings expected to effect Memorial weekend on Lake Oconee

11. bessie

*If you have trouble opening The Telegraph link, press the ESCAPE key while the page is loading.

Sheriff: ‘Brutal savage’ probably targeted elderly Lake Oconee couple
    Son of murdered Putnam Co. couple said case [sic] turned over

12. bessie

Reward offered in Georgia beheading case
    Sheriff asks public to add to reward in Dermond case
    EXCLUSIVE: Sheriff says Reynolds Plantation couple killed with different weapons
    Reward fund established in death of elderly Eatonton couple

13. Mickie Mouse

Mickie Mouse EEK!

14. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

As tonight closes, we go to bed with no answers, no new leads, and just hope ssomegood news comes Jup in the morning. A new line has to pop up, just give it time!!

15. tomkat

tomkat New Member

16. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

17. bessie

A Lake without Leads: Putnam Co. murders remain a mystery
    Catherine Beck, WXIA 12:14 a.m. EST November 11, 2014

[...]

Everyone who has been interviewed has been cleared. There's still no suspect. But Sills believes it was planned, pre-meditated and gruesome.

Russell Dermond was killed and then beheaded, left on the cement floor of his garage. Shirley was killed by blunt force trauma to the head, before being weighted down and dropped in the lake.

"You can't make me believe there was any kind of randomness to this crime," Sills said.

18. Bootsctr

Bootsctr New Member

19. Bootsctr

Bootsctr New Member

Inside Edition interview with Sheriff Sills on May 9, 2018

[video=youtube;T1JFsS01BHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1JFsS01BHk[/video]

Transcription of interview Part 1:

THE SHERIFF AND THE UNSOLVED MURDERS ON LAKE OCONEE

Sheriff Sills: It is the most frustrating case of my career. It truly bothers me. These people certainly weren't deserving that. In fact, nobody deserves that, especially at that stage in life. It is certainly the biggest murder investigation in my 44 year career.

Inside Edition: Why would someone decapitate Russell Dermond?

41WGMT: A Putnam county man was found decapitated in his million dollar home. An 88-year-old retired man living out his golden years with his wife in a beautiful lake community in Georgia. His wife was found days later floating in Lake Oconee. Authorities still don't know why it happened, or who did it.

SS: You think I'm frustrated to the point of giving up or something like that, that damn sure isn't the case. But, what worries me the most is whoever did this is still out there, and anybody who will do this, will do it again, if they didn't do it before.

SS: I'm Howard Sills. I'm the sheriff of Putnam county. Mr. Dermond was 88 and his wife, Shirley, was 87. They were retired for over a decade living there in that home. They didn't show up for a Kentucky Derby Party they were supposed to show up for. After a couple of days, their friends had called them, friends that lived in the same area. They finally went over to the house to see about them. The house wasn't locked, walked in the house, walked all through the house, and couldn't find them anywhere. Eventually, the man of the couple went into the garage, walked down into the garage itself, and discovered Mr. Dermond's body minus its head lying on the floor of the garage. He had been decapitated. It was a post-mortem decapitation. He was already dead, of course, when this occurred. Mrs. Dermond was nowhere to be found.

Russell Dermond's body was discovered May 6, 2014. His head has never been found.

SS: We didn't know where Mrs. Dermond was. There was no evidence of forced entry. There was no evidence of any struggle. Approximately ten days later, Mrs. Dermond's body surfaced in Lake Oconee about six miles away from their home. She had died as a result of multiple blunt force trauma to the head and her body had been weighted down with two cement blocks.

Shirley Dermond's body was discovered May 16, 2014.

https://www.insideedition.com/murde...-shirley-dermond-beheading-and-no-leads-42984

20. Bootsctr

Bootsctr New Member

Part 2:

SS: (Looking at photos on his computer) See this is the house right here. We pulled up and Mr. Dermond's right behind these two (garage) doors right here. I mean that was taken the day. I took that photograph the day. This is where you pull into the driveway and they placed these towels here to keep that blood and fluid from running out of that door (cursor is on the left-side garage door). As far as suspects, we still don't have any suspects. Maintenance workers, yard workers, and people like that, their children, their adult children, we found out where they were at the time. We polygraphed them, and then we interviewed hundreds of people. We simultaneously, my detectives along with the FBI and detectives from other sheriff offices interviewed over 200 people one day. Certainly, I have never done anything like that before. The Dermonds were not controversial at all. They lived a very sedentary life. They went to church. Mrs. Dermond played bridge at the local bridge club. He had stopped playing golf. He walked on a routine basis. Other than that, I have got every canceled check they have written for the last eight years, their credit card records, everything. There is no reason that we can determine why anybody would have ill feelings for them at all. Actually, to the contrary of that, we know of nothing that was disturbed in the home. We know of nothing of any great value that was taken. There was no evidence of a struggle and quite candidly we can't really say that the murders occurred there. We think he was shot in the head because we developed some gunshot residue on his shirt that he was wearing.

SS: (Driving through Reynolds Plantation) One of the most exclusive communities in the entire state of Georgia, if not the nation. These are gated golf communities with beautiful homes, beautifully landscaped grounds. It's not the only thing like that we have in Putnam county, but it is certainly the most prominent. But, in this particular neighborhood, we had no crime other than a few cases where somebody took something out of somebody's car, or you know something like that. We don't have any incidents at all. We have alarm calls and things like that, but they are always false alarms.

SS: (pulling up to the Dermond's home) That's the Dermond's house there, but like I said, there are new people living there. We had had a storm. When you walked into the guard shack, as I call it, the monitors are there and you can see the cameras are working. You know what I'm talking about. But, we had a storm about two weeks earlier and it wasn't recording. It hadn't recorded since that storm, but if it was somebody who was supposed to have been there, you know, it wouldn't have mattered. Security is a lot tighter now since this happened than it was at the time, but if they came by boat, who knows. It could have been anybody from anywhere. I think the matter of Mr. Dermond's head being removed had nothing. The body was not positioned in any ritualistic manner. At some time, I didn't totally discount that she might not have done it. Don't get me wrong. She was 87-years-old, but I can't tell you that I didn't have to take that into consideration because where was she? They were married forever and there was never any evidence of marital discord or anything like that, but I did begin to wonder, you know, maybe she had been a part of it in some way. Of course, that totally dissolved when we found her body.

SS: (back at the sheriff's office reading a letter): "I am writing to you about the murders of Russell and Shirley Dermond. They were crimes of passion and committed by at least two people. You should not rule out people in law enforcement or people living near the couple." We get letters. We get e-mails. We get phone calls from people, but then you have things where, you know, you have psychics call. You have people that call with just utter foolishness.

(Looking at another letter) This is a person who said they weren't a psychic, but they had certain revelations that they thought they had and that they wanted to tell us that water had played a role in the case. It's just we have literally hundreds of letters like this, or e-mails, or you know things of that nature. Somebody knows what happened here and there is more than one person involved in this case, and what we need is that phone call.

Anyone with information about the murders can reach the Putnam County Sheriff's Office at 706-485-8557.

Inside Edition: When are you planning to retire?

SS: Me?

Inside Edition: Yeah.

SS: Never.

Inside Edition: Is this case a thing that you are dedicated to finishing in your career?

SS: Oh sure. This is a case I'm dedicated to finishing this week if I could get the opportunity to do it, but I have no intentions of retiring any time soon. A good looking guy like me, a picture of youth, where would I go? Why would I retire?

https://www.insideedition.com/murde...-shirley-dermond-beheading-and-no-leads-42984

21. Bootsctr

Bootsctr New Member

GONE COLD | The murders at Lake Oconee: 4 years later, elderly couple’s son opens up

Author: Jessica Noll
    Published: 12:20 PM EDT May 3, 2018
    Updated: 6:52 PM EDT May 9, 2018

SANTA ROSA BEACH, Fla. – Brad Dermond flips through albums and shuffles through a handful of photographs—remembering family road trips, golfing and how much his parents loved him and his siblings and adored their grandchildren.

But the memories are bittersweet, because that is all that remains. That, and unanswered questions.

[video=youtube;GueYVL7_TpM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GueYVL7_TpM[/video]