GA GA - Tara Baker, 23, Athens, 19 Jan 2001 *Arrest*

The ceremonial signing of HB 88, or the Coleman-Baker Act, now lets families of homicide victims request law enforcement agencies to review cold cases, according to a release from the governor's office.

This act also allows the victims' families to reopen and potentially apply new technology and resources to help solve their cases that have gone cold.

Baker, a University of Georgia law student, was killed in Athens 21 years ago. Her sister Meredith Baker Schroeder would like the case reopened so her family could gain some closure. She said updated technology could help forge new leads.

"This was in 2001 when DNA evidence was the new hot technology and nobody knew how to process DNA properly or even apply it to a database to make it useful," Schroeder said in an interview with 11Alive's Doug Richards.

….

The bill would also make issuing a death certificate in a cold case easier, helping families gain a sense of closure sooner.

I’ve got Tara Louise Baker on my mind again, today.

I first became aware of her case after making the acquaintance of one her brothers back in 2013 or ‘14. Within the first hour of our introduction, he asked if I had ever heard of his sister, Tara Baker. I had not. He gave me the synopsis, and shared the picture of her that is kept in his wallet.

I was, and continue to be, deeply affected by this case. My impression of the Baker family, based on my experience with her brother, as well as the family’s interactions with the media throughout the years, is that they are salt of the earth human beings. I admire their poise and strength in the face of such horrifying circumstances; not just the brutal extinguishing of Tara’s bright light, but the ensuing lack of justice. The latter of which has amounted to major injustice, and sometimes strikes me as miscarriage of justice to boot, imo.

Referencing the article from my previous post again:
Her sister Meredith Baker Schroeder would like the case reopened so her family could gain some closure. She said updated technology could help forge new leads.

"This was in 2001 when DNA evidence was the new hot technology and nobody knew how to process DNA properly or even apply it to a database to make it useful,"
Schroeder said in an interview with 11Alive's Doug Richards.

I have never seen hard confirmation from LE that DNA was collected from Tara’s remains, or from the crime scene. I hold out hope that there was some collected. They kept her body for SO long! I whisper to the Almighty that this case would land in the hands of @othram. I have often thought of reaching out to my old acquaintance, so that I may ascertain whether the Baker family is familiar with othram’s work. We are no longer in touch, though I am still in close contact with someone who knows how to reach him.

IME & MOO

They kept her body for SO long!
Actually, I may be mixed up about that part. I think I’m getting that confused with another cold case that I follow. What I do know that took much too long (imho) was granting the Baker family access to the death certificate and autopsy report. 10 YEARS & 20 YEARS respectively! :mad:

1692018081658.jpeg

Absolutely lovely in life, and from all that I’ve gathered, her loveliness was inside and out. Imo

Last edited:
Arrest!

"ATHENS, Ga. — The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has announced the arrest of an Athens man in a 23-year-old cold case."

and

"The GBI has charged Edrick Lamont Faust, 48, with murder, two counts of felony murder, one count of aggravated assault, concealing the death of another, arson, possession of a knife during the commission of a felony, tampering with evidence, and one count of aggravated sodomy in connection with Baker’s death."

Amazing! I will be very curious to see if there was a connection between Tara and her killer, given that he was about 25 at the time of the murder, it's definitely possible. If it was completely a stranger, it is somewhat unusual for them to have gone through the trouble of setting fire to her apartment to try to get rid of DNA evidence. They were clearly savvy enough to think of that. At 25, perhaps a little too old to be a fellow student? But perhaps a young professor? Off to sleuth!

Thank you, @vls12345 for sharing this wonderful news!!! The frisson that I am experiencing… WOW!!!

May Love & Light surround Tara’s family members and loved ones as they begin this looonnngggg awaited journey toward justice.

May 10, 2024
Authorities said they have arrested an Athens man in connection with the death of a University of Georgia law student that had gone unsolved for 23 years.

Well that's interesting, because for years, LE said they wanted information on a suspect, who witnesses described, as an average sized, average height, WHITE man, with brown hair, wearing a white T-shirt and jeans, who was seen running from the house the morning after the murder. This guy is a very dark skinned black man. So I'm wondering how that fits. They are also saying they still want more information from witnesses. If they have a solid case, why do they still need more information?

Last edited:
''May 10, 2024
Back in 2001, a University of Georgia law student was found dead inside her burned apartment in Athens after she had been brutally killed. Over the last 23 years, Tara Baker's case has been ice cold -- until now.The Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced Thursday that they arrested 48-year-old Edrick Lamont Faust of Athens and charged him with murder, two counts of felony murder, one count of aggravated assault, concealing the death of another, arson, possession of a knife during the commission of a felony, tampering with evidence and one count of aggravated sodomy in connection to Baker's killing.FULL STORY: https://www.11alive.com/article/news/...''

Amazing! I will be very curious to see if there was a connection between Tara and her killer, given that he was about 25 at the time of the murder, it's definitely possible. If it was completely a stranger, it is somewhat unusual for them to have gone through the trouble of setting fire to her apartment to try to get rid of DNA evidence. They were clearly savvy enough to think of that. At 25, perhaps a little too old to be a fellow student? But perhaps a young professor? Off to sleuth!
Through Mr. Faust's lengthy criminal history, namely the 2006 charges of trespassing and public indecency, which resulted in him being bared from the uga campus, I was able to make the connection that he and Tara lived very close to each other, and his home address listed on the indictment was less than a 3 minute walk from her home. https://www.athensclarkeclerkofcourt.com/WebCaseSearch/mainpage.aspx

Through Mr. Faust's lengthy criminal history, namely the 2006 charges of trespassing and public indecency, which resulted in him being bared from the uga campus, I was able to make the connection that he and Tara lived very close to each other, and his home address listed on the indictment was less than a 3 minute walk from her home. https://www.athensclarkeclerkofcourt.com/WebCaseSearch/mainpage.aspx

Oooh! Nice sleuthing! It makes sense that he was close by. Neighbor was definitely another one I was thinking.

“Tara Louise Baker was a hardworking student with a bright future ahead of her,” GBI director Chris Hosey said in a statement. “Tara’s life was stolen from her in a horrific act of violence.”

Athens-Clarke County police chief Jerry Saulters, who was an officer at the crime scene in January 2001, said in a statement that he’d hoped for years Baker’s family would find justice.

“I remember being there during that horrific time,” Saulters said. “Seeing this case now full circle, I appreciate the hard work of the detectives, from then and now. Knowing that the evidence collected at that time contributed to the arrest today gives me tremendous pride in all the officers who worked this case over the years.”

“A mother’s heart never gives up, ❤️ she never gave up on seeking the truth,” Harrelson told CNN of Virginia Baker, Tara Louise Baker’s mother

In September of 2023, Special Agents of the GBI Cold Case Unit partnered with Athens-Clarke County investigators to conduct a tireless in-depth review of the ongoing investigation into Tara’s death. In Tara’s case, it was biological evidence and DNA science combined with collaborative investigative work with our law enforcement partners that brought us this result.

In September of 2023, the GBI Cold Case Unit partnered with ACCPD to conduct an in-depth review and analysis of the ongoing investigation into Baker’s death.

GBI Press Release

In September of 2023, Special Agents of the GBI Cold Case Unit partnered with Athens-Clarke County investigators to conduct a tireless in-depth review of the ongoing investigation into Tara’s death. In Tara’s case, it was biological evidence and DNA science combined with collaborative investigative work with our law enforcement partners that brought us this result.

In September of 2023, the GBI Cold Case Unit partnered with ACCPD to conduct an in-depth review and analysis of the ongoing investigation into Baker’s death.

GBI Press Release

OK, so this was really for the family, memory of Tara and for members of LE to pat each other on the back. We really didn't learn anything from this PC, but it was for Tara and not us.

Would DNA be enough? What if the suspect comes up with the story, that he met her outside and hung out with her, and then left. How does a jury handle that? Just curious.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nebbiolo
Back