GA GA - Theresa M. (Terry) Kopec, 27, Smyrna, April 1984

Livinia

Reaction score
Hello, all. I'm looking for information about the 1980s murder of an old friend of mine, Theresa M. (Terry) Kopec. She was a fellow flight attendant working for Piedmont Airlines based in Atlanta. She was originally from Delaware and graduated from the University of Delaware. I met Terry at a gym where she was working in Arlington, VA. She showed an interest in my job as a flight attendant. I encouraged her to apply to Piedmont and she was hired. She left Washington to be based in Atlanta and at age 27 was raped and strangled to death in her condo in Smyrna (Cobb County), GA, just off of Interstate 285. There was no evidence of a break-in. Terry was a sweet girl, maybe a bit naive. But I always felt bad for encouraging her to join the airlines because of her fate. Piedmont Airlines investigated as well as the authorities, though I haven't tried yet to gain any records from it. I only found one press article about the crime and it's not dated. As far as I know, it's never been solved. Where should I begin?

How horrible, I'm so sorry about your friend. Here is an April 25, 1984 article on the murder Theresa Kopec found dead - Newspapers.com
Just Googling her name and adding "murder" or checking out the unsolved GA cases at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation or Atlanta Police Dept unsolved cases since many departments send their cold cases to Atlanta, check the Smyrna police , and the Cobb Cty Sheriff's dept. I did a quick search and I've found nothing. You might send a few emails to the different departments to see if the case has been solved.

Hello, all. I'm looking for information about the 1980s murder of an old friend of mine, Theresa M. (Terry) Kopec. She was a fellow flight attendant working for Piedmont Airlines based in Atlanta. She was originally from Delaware and graduated from the University of Delaware. I met Terry at a gym where she was working in Arlington, VA. She showed an interest in my job as a flight attendant. I encouraged her to apply to Piedmont and she was hired. She left Washington to be based in Atlanta and at age 27 was raped and strangled to death in her condo in Smyrna (Cobb County), GA, just off of Interstate 285. There was no evidence of a break-in. Terry was a sweet girl, maybe a bit naive. But I always felt bad for encouraging her to join the airlines because of her fate. Piedmont Airlines investigated as well as the authorities, though I haven't tried yet to gain any records from it. I only found one press article about the crime and it's not dated. As far as I know, it's never been solved. Where should I begin?
Hi...we check the internet periodically for info about the Terry Kopeck case. My husband was one of the two men who went to her condo unit the morning that her body was discovered. Thankfully, he chose not to go inside but the man who also worked for the same company did. My husband was never interviewed by Cobb County police...although Piedmont did have an investigator he spoke with once. It seems like this is a case that could be solved. I’m sure her family has never stopped hoping for answers.

There have been amazing advances in DNA testing since your friend was murdered. I would talk to the Detective and see if they can get a familial match off of ancestry.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Hi...we check the internet periodically for info about the Terry Kopeck case. My husband was one of the two men who went to her condo unit the morning that her body was discovered. Thankfully, he chose not to go inside but the man who also worked for the same company did. My husband was never interviewed by Cobb County police...although Piedmont did have an investigator he spoke with once. It seems like this is a case that could be solved. I’m sure her family has never stopped hoping for answers.

Thanks so much for connecting with me here about Terry's case. I've been traveling out of the country and didn't see this until recently. Please excuse the delay. If you would be so kind, would you tell me in what capacity your husband was called to Terry's crime scene? Would he be able to give me any information? Do you know how to contact any of her family members or know anyone who who does? Who would I contact in Piedmont since they've been taken over by USAir and then by American? I really appreciate any tips you might have. Thanks. L.

Livinia, I have been trying to find new details about this case for several years. It was a case we studied in one of my CJ courses in college.

Livinia, I have been trying to find new details about this case for several years. It was a case we studied in one of my CJ courses in college.
Hi, I heard that a professor at Kennesaw State U. in GA used her case in his class. I would love to connect with that professor if you think he's still alive. Would you give me his name? Do you have any notes from that part of his class that you would share with me? What do you remember about the case, if anything? I would love to hear from you again.

Hi, I heard that a professor at Kennesaw State U. in GA used her case in his class. I would love to connect with that professor if you think he's still alive. Would you give me his name? Do you have any notes from that part of his class that you would share with me? What do you remember about the case, if anything? I would love to hear from you again.

Clipping from The Atlanta Constitution - Newspapers.com

Livinia, consider contacting the prosecuting attorney/district attorney's office & ask for the Victim Advocate. You are a victim of this crime. The Victim Advocate knows their way around the court, and law enforcement, and should be able to advise you.

So sorry to learn of your situation!

Livinia, consider contacting the prosecuting attorney/district attorney's office & ask for the Victim Advocate. You are a victim of this crime. The Victim Advocate knows their way around the court, and law enforcement, and should be able to advise you.

So sorry to learn of your situation!
Thanks so much for your kindness and support. I will follow your advice. L.

Just to keep you posted on my progress, I was able to speak today to John Dawes, who heads the Cold Case unit of the DA's office for Cobb County, GA. According to Dawes, Terry was declared dead on April 23, 1984, at 8:30 a.m., though the crime occurred most likely 24 hours before Terry's body was found. It seems as if she had just returned to her condo unit in the Cumberland Hills Condominium in Smyrna, GA, from either a bike ride or some type of physical exercise. Her killer could have been laying in wait or she answered the door for that person. Her car was found in the parking lot. The unit had a sliding glass door but it seemed not to have been used. As the papers recorded, her front door was found ajar by the authorities. They believe her killer was an antisocial male and a sexual deviant motivated by control who felt somewhat comfortable in that setting as he spent some time there after the crime. He may have followed her to her unit. The construction of the condos was just finishing up, so there were tradespeople around all the time. Some of the original evidence has not been found. None of her family members have contacted the Cobb County authorities for at least 5 years. She hails from a very large Catholic family and was one of seven children. Dawes said he would collaborate with me on an article about this crime, which would be great. Now, do any of you know which magazines would be interested in publishing such an article?

Just to keep you posted on my progress, I was able to speak today to John Dawes, who heads the Cold Case unit of the DA's office for Cobb County, GA. According to Dawes, Terry was declared dead on April 23, 1984, at 8:30 a.m., though the crime occurred most likely 24 hours before Terry's body was found. It seems as if she had just returned to her condo unit in the Cumberland Hills Condominium in Smyrna, GA, from either a bike ride or some type of physical exercise. Her killer could have been laying in wait or she answered the door for that person. Her car was found in the parking lot. The unit had a sliding glass door but it seemed not to have been used. As the papers recorded, her front door was found ajar by the authorities. They believe her killer was an antisocial male and a sexual deviant motivated by control who felt somewhat comfortable in that setting as he spent some time there after the crime. He may have followed her to her unit. The construction of the condos was just finishing up, so there were tradespeople around all the time. Some of the original evidence has not been found. None of her family members have contacted the Cobb County authorities for at least 5 years. She hails from a very large Catholic family and was one of seven children. Dawes said he would collaborate with me on an article about this crime, which would be great. Now, do any of you know which magazines would be interested in publishing such an article?

So kind of you to pursue justice for your friend. Great to hear you have some interest from the Cold Case unit in Cobb County, too. JMO, perhaps it would be best to approach the media outlets in Cobb County and the surrounding area. That's the most likely place to find someone who may have seen or heard something about Terry's murder. It doesn't look like there have been many follow up articles or tv news stories about this case, so it may help jog someone's memory.

So kind of you to pursue justice for your friend. Great to hear you have some interest from the Cold Case unit in Cobb County, too. JMO, perhaps it would be best to approach the media outlets in Cobb County and the surrounding area. That's the most likely place to find someone who may have seen or heard something about Terry's murder. It doesn't look like there have been many follow up articles or tv news stories about this case, so it may help jog someone's memory.
Yes, I think the media outlets in that area is the best bet. Thanks for your input. L.

Here's an update of what's happened regarding my inquiry into this case: A relative of Terry Kopec's found me on this site and we've been in contact by email. The family is on board with igniting interest in the case, really good news. They are going to get the head of Cobb County's cold case squad to reach out to the Vidocq Society, the esteemed cold case solving organization located in Philadelphia. Meanwhile, I'm working on a draft of an article about the case because someone out there who wouldn't talk to the police in 1984 might do so now. Here's something I'd like your reaction on: I've heard through the Piedmont Airlines grapevine that evidence from Terry's case was lost in a move by the police department. The head of the cold case squad himself told me, "some of the original evidence has not been found." Yet when I asked him to clarify this remark, he scolded me that I shouldn't put anything in the article about "evidence." Now, saying what he told me is not revealing anything about what evidence exists, only that some of it may be lost. I don't see how this could help the perpetrator, but could it? I'm researching media outlets that might publish the article, no small task. The Atlanta paper told me they don't take freelance work, so that's out. True Crime Magazine has staff writers, and I don't see anywhere on their web site on how to contact them. But, I'll keep looking. Do any of you know of any true crime blogs that would take a post from a guest blogger? It has to be one that is widely read, or there's no point in it. I did contact Dateline and 48 Hours, so maybe one of them might be interested, a long shot, I know, but you have to try. Any suggestions you have are welcome.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamabee1221
Back