Found Deceased GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018 #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11CP_y2Ja2M

Here's a new video about these latest developments by Gray Hughes just put out this morning. ( Gray Hughes videos have been approved by WS mods. )

He presents very interesting information. I found it very helpful to visualize the geographical layout much better.

He points out by map that the body was found 2.89 miles from Timothy's house, but it's downstream from the closest entry point to the river from Timothy's house, which is only half a mile.

He uses google street view to show his likely route including walking along the train tracks which lead directly to the river.

So IF this is Timothy, he would have had to walk only a half mile to reach that destination.

My heart is with his family at this very difficult time while they wait for word...

Here's a new video about these latest developments by Gray Hughes just put out this morning. ( Gray Hughes videos have been approved by WS mods. )

He presents very interesting information. I found it very helpful to visualize the geographical layout much better.

He points out by map that the body was found 2.89 miles from Timothy's house, but it's downstream from the closest entry point to the river from Timothy's house, which is only half a mile.

He uses google street view to show his likely route including walking along the train tracks which lead directly to the river.

So IF this is Timothy, he would have had to walk only a half mile to reach that destination.

My heart is with his family at this very difficult time while they wait for word...

Thanks for posting the video. Note that though the river is half a mile from TC's house as the crow flies, it's a bit farther to actually walk there. As you note, Hughes shows a possible route to the river that includes walking along the railroad tracks. Presumably there are other routes from TC's house to other bridges over the river. I don't know whether people -- even possibly suicidal people -- routinely walk along those tracks, though it is true that doing so would at least partly shield one from the view of others.

I still wonder whether the sighting of TC jogging has been substantiated, and how it might fit in with the body possibly being him. Was the location of the jogger consistent with a route to the river? Is it certain that the jogger was TC? Was it clear that the person was jogging, or was it just a brief glimpse? It seems odd to me that someone on their way to commit suicide would look like they were going for a jog.

Yes, I agree. Any unattended and/or suspicious death should be investigated to make sure there is no foul play. I have a feeling that LE's initial observation of no foul play will be correct, but they wouldn't be doing their jobs correctly if they didn't investigate to confirm no foul play.

Yes, otherwise people would know they had a good chance of getting away with murder if they dropped the body in a hard-to-reach section of the Chattahoochee.

I did not think about the tracks over the river, but Gray is right. They are an easy walk from Tim’s, and that ramp is almost certainly within camera range of the gas station on the corner. The bridge itself would definitely be a place you wouldn’t be seen. I wonder if there is any way to tell how high it is?

Sorry for continued speculation...just antsy while waiting.

C6338E5D-40D3-4D01-A583-1703DF6FFEAE.jpeg

Testing.

Okay, looks like it worked, albeit small. This is the area Gray mentions in the video for those not familiar.

Thanks for posting the video. Note that though the river is half a mile from TC's house as the crow flies, it's a bit farther to actually walk there. As you note, Hughes shows a possible route to the river that includes walking along the railroad tracks. Presumably there are other routes from TC's house to other bridges over the river. I don't know whether people -- even possibly suicidal people -- routinely walk along those tracks, though it is true that doing so would at least partly shield one from the view of others.

I still wonder whether the sighting of TC jogging has been substantiated, and how it might fit in with the body possibly being him. Was the location of the jogger consistent with a route to the river? Is it certain that the jogger was TC? Was it clear that the person was jogging, or was it just a brief glimpse? It seems odd to me that someone on their way to commit suicide would look like they were going for a jog.

Thanks, good points! Sorry if I misunderstood about the distance. Appreciate the clarification.

I too wondered about him walking on the railroad tracks, but I try to keep in mind that if he was despondent, nothing would have seemed that odd or scary to him. After all, if this was intentional he was on his way to jump into the river. What could be more frightening?

I too have thought about the jogging report. If I remember correctly, it was reported in only one news article though which seems a bit odd to me.

Was it a legit sighting? Did Timothy routinely jog? I wish the neighbors could have filled us in with a little more about his habits.

Lots of questions. Hopefully, we may get some answers soon...

JMO

Thanks, good points! Sorry if I misunderstood about the distance. Appreciate the clarification.

I too wondered about him walking on the railroad tracks, but I try to keep in mind that if he was despondent, nothing would have seemed that odd or scary to him. After all, if this was intentional he was on his way to jump into the river. What could be more frightening?

I too have thought about the jogging report. If I remember correctly, it was reported in only one news article though which seems a bit odd to me.

Was it a legit sighting? Did Timothy routinely jog? I wish the neighbors could have filled us in with a little more about his habits.

Lots of questions. Hopefully, we may get some answers soon...

JMO

back when the story first broke, i remember seeing someone on facebook post on one of the atlanta news websites that she thought she had saw him jogging early that morning. she had said she couldnt clearly see his face, but the reason why she thought it may have been him was that he was wearing a sailors hat. ill do some searching and see if i cant find the original post she had made on facebook about it. she had stated she had called the tip in to the authorites..which is how this jogging theory came to be.

back when the story first broke, i remember seeing someone on facebook post on one of the atlanta news websites that she thought she had saw him jogging early that morning. she had said she couldnt clearly see his face, but the reason why she thought it may have been him was that he was wearing a sailors hat. ill do some searching and see if i cant find the original post she had made on facebook about it. she had stated she had called the tip in to the authorites..which is how this jogging theory came to be.

Interesting and a little odd. :thinking: I have seen stories saying that he did jog routinely, and it seems he got to work pretty early (if he went all the way to Chamblee, had a meeting, and was en route home in the 9 o’clock hour). So I’m guessing that may have been typical for him.

The sailor’s hat is the odd part. Like a costume? Or a military cap that may have been part of his work uniform? If that’s why she thought it was him, did he usually wear one?

This is odd. This news video, which mentioned a possible jogging sighting, said it was in the evening -- the quote, referring to the evening of February 12th, the day TC disappeared,was "that evening, a neighbor thinks he saw Cunningham jogging."

http://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...imothy-cunningham-grows-to-15000/85-526307239

On the other hand, the video also says Cunnngham left work that day at 7:30am. That seems very early indeed -- I'd thought he left work a bit later -- but if true, would it mean he could've gotten home early enough to be seen jogging in the morning?? If he jogged before going to work that day, it sounds like he would've been jogging before sunrise.

This is odd. This news video, which mentioned a possible jogging sighting, said it was in the evening -- the quote, referring to the evening of February 12th, the day TC disappeared,was "that evening, a neighbor thinks he saw Cunningham jogging."

http://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...imothy-cunningham-grows-to-15000/85-526307239

On the other hand, the video also says Cunnngham left work that day at 7:30am. That seems very early indeed -- I'd thought he left work a bit later -- but if true, would it mean he could've gotten home early enough to be seen jogging in the morning?? If he jogged before going to work that day, it sounds like he would've been jogging before sunrise.

Yes, I had heard evening jog, too, which would be way more important with the known timeline.

CDC work schedules are super flexible if you stay within a certain timeframe. It’s feasible that he could’ve been at (or leaving) work at 7:30am. Given Atlanta traffic, he may have gone in super early to avoid it, and we also know he texted his mom in the 5am hour.

But wasn’t the phone ping on his way home around 9:15am? I guess what constitutes “early” is subjective.

http://people.com/crime/why-cdc-scientist-timothy-cunningham-missing-unusual/

Why CDC Scientist’s Mysterious Disappearance Isn’t Like Other Missing-Persons Cases

April 04, 2018 02:03 PM

Harvard-educated epidemiologist Dr. Timothy Cunningham had a lot going for him.

“Tim was always the golden boy,” says a colleague at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, where Cunningham prominently studied heath patterns related to race, gender and geography. For his work, the Atlanta Business Chronicle featured the 35-year-old last October as one of its “40-Under-40” rising stars in the region.

[...]

Yes, I had heard evening jog, too, which would be way more important with the known timeline.

CDC work schedules are super flexible if you stay within a certain timeframe. It’s feasible that he could’ve been at (or leaving) work at 7:30am. Given Atlanta traffic, he may have gone in super early to avoid it, and we also know he texted his mom in the 5am hour.

But wasn’t the phone ping on his way home around 9:15am? I guess what constitutes “early” is subjective.

I don’t think the 7:30 am time is accurate.

If anyone saw him in a “sailor’s hat”, he was likely in uniform. They are required to wear their hats while outdoors and their uniforms resemble navy uniforms.

I don’t think the 7:30 am time is accurate.

If anyone saw him in a “sailor’s hat”, he was likely in uniform. They are required to wear their hats while outdoors and their uniforms resemble navy uniforms.

Good to know about 7:30am. Thanks! And that’s an important point on the uniform, too. (When I first got there, I just thought there were lots of naval officers stationed at CDC.) I can’t imagine he would jog in full uniform?

https://www.usphs.gov/aboutus/uniforms.aspx

Good to know about 7:30am. Thanks! And that’s an important point on the uniform, too. (When I first got there, I just thought there were lots of naval officers stationed at CDC.) I can’t imagine he would jog in full uniform?

Maybe he took Bo on a walk before he left for work and Bo did a #2 and he didn’t have a bag so he had to run back to clean it up... or he ran to his mailbox... maybe it was drizzling? Could be a couple reasons I suppose

One thing I've been wondering about is what he was wearing when he disappeared, and whether it was possible to tell that from what was left in the house. In that regard, I wonder how many uniforms and hats he had.

And again, I wish more details were known about the jogging sighting -- how certain it is, what time it was, and what the jogger was wearing.

Maybe he took Bo on a walk before he left for work and Bo did a #2 and he didn’t have a bag so he had to run back to clean it up... or he ran to his mailbox... maybe it was drizzling? Could be a couple reasons I suppose

Definitely plausible, and the hat would make sense if he was about to go into work. Thinking of you and all those who know Tim.

the hat seems ironic if Tim is indeed found in this water.... I wonder if he had that kind of sense of humor.

Regardless, waiting with all of you to find out if TC's family is getting terrible news that no one wants to hear. Seems very sad no matter who it is of course...

IMO...

I don't know how families handle these waits. Hopefully soon they'll be some answers.

I live in a city north of Atlanta, we recently had a missing person who gave indication of suicidal intent and 2 days after reported missing, his car was found by the Chattahoochee. An intense search began, with drones, trained dogs, boats, divers, etc. My dog park is there and we struck up a conversation with a person who works for a funeral home. Let’s leave it at the most ghastly are people who are found deceased in water. Based on what she said about our missing person (who was found in the river 5 days later, right by where he left his car), regretfully it makes me think it is likely to be Tim. Her prediction was he was likely half a mile downstream, entangled in brush/tree limbs at the side of the river. Not Timothy Cunningham, but the man who committed suicide in the river. Thinking about what she said and then reading about the body they just found has led me to think it’s Tim. One of the things we learned is that even if you accidentally fall in the river, unless you are a very strong swimmer, you will succumb to hypothermia in less than 5 minutes.

I live in a city north of Atlanta, we recently had a missing person who gave indication of suicidal intent and 2 days after reported missing, his car was found by the Chattahoochee. An intense search began, with drones, trained dogs, boats, divers, etc. My dog park is there and we struck up a conversation with a person who works for a funeral home. Let’s leave it at the most ghastly are people who are found deceased in water. Based on what she said about our missing person (who was found in the river 5 days later, right by where he left his car), regretfully it makes me think it is likely to be Tim. Her prediction was he was likely half a mile downstream, entangled in brush/tree limbs at the side of the river. Not Timothy Cunningham, but the man who committed suicide in the river. Thinking about what she said and then reading about the body they just found has led me to think it’s Tim. One of the things we learned is that even if you accidentally fall in the river, unless you are a very strong swimmer, you will succumb to hypothermia in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for posting this. This made me think of some questions -- I realize you may not have all the answers. Would the Chattahoochee be very cold in February in Atlanta? Is it fed by snow melt from the Blue Ridge Mountains? I don't know much about the weather in those mountains or about the sources of the Chattahoochee.

How strong the current of the Chattahoochee is in Atlanta? How deep is the river there?

Another question is whether Cunningham knew how to swim. I gather you can drown yourself even if you know how to swim. You can weigh yourself down with stones as Virginia Woolf did, or you can try to do other things to get around your natural survival instinct, but it may take some doing.

If he did know how to swim, being overweight could make it harder to drown himself because his body would be more buoyant and hypothermia would take longer. Being weighed down by wet clothes, however, might hurry the process. Of course, if he didn't know how to swim, that would make it an effective method of suicide, if that was his goal.

One way people apparently commit suicide by jumping off bridges into rivers is if the fall from the bridge is so great that it knocks you unconscious. Looking at Google Street View, it doesn't look like the bridge across the Chattahoochee at Marietta Blvd NW is high enough to reliably knock one unconscious. The bridge at the James Jackson Parkway has curved metal fences that would prevent one from jumping off. I don't know about the railway bridge because it doesn't have Street View.

But if the Chattahoochee in that area was cold and swiftly flowing at that time, suicide by drowning/hypothermia might have been easier. (Steep banks might also make suicide more possible, but not sure the Chattahoochee has steep banks there.)

Not to say that the body is TC's, or even if it is, that he committed suicide -- just thinking about how doable that would be. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back