Found Deceased GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018 #2

Thinking of Tim's family and friends today.

"Hundreds gathered Saturday morning on the Morehouse College campus to honor the life of an accomplished researcher who likely drowned.

Timothy Cunningham, 35, an epidemiologist with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, was remembered for his passion for his work and his infectious smile. Colleagues, friends and his sister shared stories about Cunningham, focusing on his accomplishments and loyalty to others."

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/hund...researcher-cunningham/lBVaEnSEEgLSdEMYyYLHFP/

Steve Gehlbach
‏
@SteveGWSB
“Tim excelled at everything he did” from friend speaking at service for CDC doctor/Morehouse and Harvard grad Timothy Cunningham

This is an opinion piece, but it's really a nice tribute to Timothy from someone who knew and worked with him.

http://www.13wmaz.com/article/news/...ll-remember-about-tim-cunningham/85-543542936

I knew Tim Cunningham. I call him a friend. We weren’t great friends; in most photos, we’re a few people apart. But I knew him enough to say the following with confidence:

Tim was a massive pain in the butt.

And that is a massive compliment.

[...]

I met Tim through LEAD Atlanta, the leadership program that’s produced some of our city’s most distinguished citizens. And in a class of 50, where everyone stood out, Tim never backed down.

[...]

Our team had developed a strong outline with good ideas, when Tim interrupted: “Why aren’t we talking first about poverty?” He said we should scrap our plan and refocus the day, because he believed we couldn’t talk about the challenges in education without addressing the disparities and inequalities facing our children. Some of us, including me, hesitated. We had already done so much work. We had planned a good day. Tim demanded great, of himself and any orbit he crossed. He was a pain. But he was right. And it was worth it.

[...]

Anyone heard anything on when toxicology will come back?

While the site was down, the ME officially ruled and closed the case as a suicide by drowning. The only thing found in Tim’s system was marijuana.

“CDC researcher’s death ruled a suicide by drowning” CDC researcher’s death ruled a suicide by drowning

“Why investigators feel certain CDC researcher killed himself”
Why investigators feel certain CDC researcher killed himself

The article doesn't answer why they are certain though...
I'm surprised abut the marijuana.

Cause of death released for CDC scientist Timothy Cunningham
Published: 3:05 PM EDT May 22, 2018
Updated: 11:39 PM EDT May 22, 2018

11Alive took some of your concerns to a medical examiner, not connected to the case, to find out how a drowning can be ruled a suicide.
[...]
Kris Sperry, the former chief medical examiner for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation . . .
[...]
"Reaching the determination of a suicide in a case like this – because really, if there is any question or inconsistencies, then we just won't do it – quite honestly is the easiest thing to do," Sperry explained.

We're expected to learn more about the circumstances around Cunningham's death when police release their entire case file. That's expected some time this week.

While the site was down, the ME officially ruled and closed the case as a suicide by drowning. The only thing found in Tim’s system was marijuana.

“CDC researcher’s death ruled a suicide by drowning” CDC researcher’s death ruled a suicide by drowning

“Why investigators feel certain CDC researcher killed himself”
Why investigators feel certain CDC researcher killed himself

This is tough to hear... and, of course, the biggest shock is to his family and friends. I can only imagine their immense sorrow, at this conclusion. I truly doubt there would be an error (in the forensic conclusion) on this, as they could simply not say anything on the matter.

I do want to know more about the facts with their conclusion, when it comes out... to learn as much as I can from it, to help anyone else in my life who may be feeling they just can't go on -- who see no other way than to end their life... though, in reality, no family or friend should ever blame themselves for not knowing/catching this in time, as those who are so despondent as to kill themselves are often very covert/silent with their intentions... it is, oftentimes, so hard to detect until it's just too late.

So very sorry... it's so sad. RIP, Timothy.

beautiful and honest write up, if that can be said... I am just struck by how "normal" TC was - just a regular guy who struggled with issues (we all have issues) but who did some extraordinary (and really interesting IMO) work.

I wish he'd been able to find the support he needed, the love and empathy and compassion he wanted, and that it was enough to bring him out of the dark place he seemed to be spiraling into.

You will not be forgotten, TC. So very very sad for all those who knew and loved you - they are the ones in pain now.

More of the facts. It appears I was so wrong about this.
EXCLUSIVE: CDC researcher had personal struggles before suicide

It's very sweet and humble of you to post this, Han. But I think we all have struggled with understanding why Timothy could be a case of self-harm... we can only go by the info we have... and human beings are often complicated. Those who disappear are very real beings, with strengths and weaknesses -- triumphs and struggles -- like all of us.

I know we all wish we had been a friend of Timothy's -- someone he could have reached out to...I'm sure his family/friends feel the same.

I'm sorry he felt so lost and alone.

May he rest in peace... and may we all do the best we can to spot those around us who are feeling despondent.

Thanks for posting this, Han.

I came over after seeing the AJC article. Of course I read it, and many of the things we wondered about here seem to have been true.

At the same time, I felt uneasy reading such deeply personal things that Tim was apparently going through, knowing he was so private about his personal life. So I will just say that I, too, hope he is at peace. <3

Missing CDC scientist file: A 'highly driven' man struggling with personal, professional issues
A timeline of Cunningham's last days pieced together by 11Alive show a man dealing with issues, both personally and professionally.
Published: 4:56 PM EDT June 4, 2018
Updated: 9:44 AM EDT June 5, 2018

[...]
On Monday, 11Alive obtained the case file from detectives trying to piece together what happened to Cunningham. The more than 600 pages of documents – which include financial documents, text messages, and statements from friends, family, and tipsters – build a picture of why investigators came to the came to the conclusion they did: that Cunningham took his own life.

A timeline of Cunningham's last days pieced together by 11Alive show a man dealing with issues, both personally and professionally.
[...]
Below is a timeline showing Cunningham's final days.

Wednesday, Feb. 7 | Cunningham sends an email to a commander, resigning from the Rapid Deployment Force, a group performing duties separate from his agency duties.
[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back