GA GA - Timothy Cunningham, 35, Chamblee, 12 Feb 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gardener1850: I don't think this is done too often. I grew up next to a railway, and I don't ever recall seeing anyone do this. I believe they have machines (like snowplows) attached to the front of a locomotive to move any large thing off the tracks.

Suicide by train happens about once a year in our town. There's no grade separation on most of the many crossings here.

I hope it wasn’t Tim in the yellow river but I just wanted to point out that Mercer University used to be in Covington,GA (the place where the body was found in the river) and I believe I read on here Tim worked at the Mercer CDC location. I believe the university location in Covington recently closed but I wonder if the Covington area was familiar to him because of that connection. The location isn’t really that far away from Atlanta. I know several people who live out there and drive to the city every day. Either way it’s a terrible situation for whomever was found in the river.

Tim lived alone in that house ? just him and his dog ?

@GeorgiaPeach1. Tim worked at the Chamblee CDC location. There is also a Mercer University campus in Atlanta, which is about 2 miles from where he worked.

I have followed other cases where scent (tracking, not cadaver or human remains detection) dogs were used to look for a missing person who may have left on foot. What I learned from those cases was extremely interesting. We had some search and rescue experts posting at that time on those cases. These people were expert dog handlers and knew just about everything there is to know about how dogs track people, either dead or alive.

The experts told us that a person who is depressed or suicidal may give off a different scent than when they are not in a depressed or suicidal state. Humans would not be able to notice such a subtle difference in body chemistry or the person's scent, but to a trained search and rescue dog, there would be a different scent.

The way it was explained to me was that if the scent article provided to the dog was a shirt or a towel or something that the missing person had at the home, the dog would be trying to track that scent. However, if the missing person left on foot in a suicidal or depressed state, the scent wouldn't "match" the scent article the dog was tracking and the dog would not be able to to find a trail for the missing person.

I hope that makes sense. Maybe a verified search and rescue expert will join us here to further explain the science behind this.

And for the record, I obviously don't know if Tim left on foot or if he was depressed or suicidal when he left, since he has not been found, but I have been thinking about the dogs and if that's why they haven't found a trail for him, if they haven't.

Wow ! That is incredible! I had no idea dogs could do that. I mean I knew they had incredible noses, but for them to distinguish between a scent from someone who’s suicidal or not/getting confused etc, is so fascinating. I guess that’s part of the reason why some dogs can detect when you’re about to have an anxiety attack and come and comfort you or tell when you’re sad and come over and comfort you. Dogs are incredible animals.

Tim lived alone in that house ? just him and his dog ?

I asked a while back if that house didn't seem really big for one person, and folks from that area said no, it's a pretty typical size even for a single person. Seems huge to me, but I'm not American.

As a person with mental illness (borderline personality disorder), a fairly high achiever and a perfectionist who hates to disappoint people, suicide has sometimes seemed like an attractive option. When everything else is out of control, it is the one thing you can control, and you can do it on your own terms ("You can't fire me, I quit!").

For me, one specific thing has stuck out like a sore thumb. In either a TV or print interview, Tim's dad was quoted as saying he "ordered" his children to join him at his destination 60th birthday. They were "expected" to be present. Perhaps it was a joke; I'm not aware of any context that might have accompanied that quote. Mr. Cunningham's continued insistence that his son was so dependable, so reliable, this was so out of character for Tim, says something very important to me: Either A) Tim's parents were unaware of any potential mental health traits, conditions or impairments he may have had, or B) Tim's parents have some awareness of potential mental health issues but believe they're the sort of thing that can be overcome with "willpower" or "discipline."

Depending on the family atmosphere, having to tell his parents that he didn't receive a promotion may have been just as devastating as missing out on the promotion itself. I can empathize with that.

I can only speak about BPD, but a hallmark of that illness is an intense fear of rejection and abandonment. The fear may be based in reality (neglect, abuse) or it may be perceived. Regardless, the borderline will do almost anything to avoid the rejection/abandonment. Often, those coping mechanisms or behaviors are negative and destructive. It could be extreme ("If you leave me, I'll kill myself") or harmful only to the borderline themselves (self-harm). To somebody like a borderline, the idea of suicide seems attractive. No more disappointing anyone. Nobody can leave you or reject you if you're gone. And most of all, your brain will finally be quiet and at peace.

I am NOT suggesting that Tim is a borderline. But I wanted to give some perspective.

Roughly one out of every 22 people in the United States has a mental illness that would be considered debilitating or disabling. That doesn't mean they've been diagnosed or are receiving the proper care. That's just a raw number. Seems like you'd know who those people were, right? They'd be popping up left and right, but they aren't. That's because it is eminently possible to continue living your life, with varying degrees of success, without other people realizing something is wrong. By simply showing up to work, getting your kids to school and paying your bills and taxes, many other things can and do fall under the radar.

Sometimes, we take refuge under that radar. And when the cover is blown, it is a catastrophic blow to an already precarious life.

Very great response and explanation samara. I agree with you 100%. This post is dead on. ❤️

Wow, I've never heard that either! Can animals smell serotonin? Is that why my cats know when I'm dangerously depressed?

Yes, I believe so. I know that some studies have been done in cats showing that they can "smell" cancer in people. It's an area of research that is still developing, but I find it fascinating. Dogs and cats have incredibly sensitive senses of smell. Even minor differences in body chemistry can be noticed by them and if they are specifically trained for tracking or detection purposes, there is a whole world of possibilities for application of their natural abilities.

Wow, I've never heard that either! Can animals smell serotonin? Is that why my cats know when I'm dangerously depressed?

I think so coppertop. I learned they can even detect the chemicals you put off before a migraine. That was one of the things I wanted to teach my service dog besides retrieving my meds, was to be a migraine alert dog. It is fascinating what they can detect.

I asked a while back if that house didn't seem really big for one person, and folks from that area said no, it's a pretty typical size even for a single person. Seems huge to me, but I'm not American.

I wasn't commenting so much on the size of the house. just wondered if Tim lives alone with his dog.

Yes, from what I reaad he lived alone but when I did the address search, his sister was also listed at that address. From what I've read, she now lives in NC.

Have to agree, suicide is a possibility here, I think. And absolutely, the outwardly most successful, gifted "perfect" people can suffer from crippling depression, high achievers sometimes have too much pressure put on them and/or by themselves. Sometimes, they don't have the ability to give themselves a break.

And dogs are amazing creatures, I agree, I think they can detect diabetic problems and epilepsy too. I noticed after I had been working as a nurse for a while, people with certain problems had certain scents. Certainly some cancers do, people with cirrhosis, infections. After a while (sorry if TMI !) but I could smell sugar in, protein, blood or an infection in urine even before I tested it. I won't go into the other! but it was also very telling. I definitely think dogs could pick up things like adrenaline, serotonin, hormones. Ultimately what's going on inside will affect what you secrete out of yourself.

Off topic, but I have been following the Liam Colgan thread, a Scots tourist who is missing in Hamburg, Germany. He was known to be very inebriated at the time and the dogs being used have not been able to pick up a conclusive trail. I'm sure alcohol levels would very much affect scent, and maybe as they drop over time, it could be confusing to the dogs. And other drugs, if used.

Hoping they find Timothy soon for his and his family's sake.

Yes, I believe so. I know that some studies have been done in cats showing that they can "smell" cancer in people. It's an area of research that is still developing, but I find it fascinating. Dogs and cats have incredibly sensitive senses of smell. Even minor differences in body chemistry can be noticed by them and if they are specifically trained for tracking or detection purposes, there is a whole world of possibilities for application of their natural abilities.

I'd have to look it up to be sure, but my understanding was that dogs have shown some success differentiating between chemical signatures in the waste gases (exhaled breath, flatulence) of test subjects with certain cancers versus someone who does not have cancer. I think the issue was pinpointing what it was the dogs were hitting on when they made an identification.

I just hope that they don't discover, for example, that dogs are good at sniffing out cancer, but if you really want accuracy, you're gonna want to go for detection by tarantula or boa constrictor. :gaah:

I wanted to say I totally agree with the post about the possible family dynamic. If I remember correctly his father said his texts/conversations with him in the days prior to him going missing left him feeling concerned about his son. Not an exact quote but it was along those same lines. I know that I always felt like there were certain expectations of me by family. If I were as successful as Tim and wanted to quit my job and do something that made way less money and wasn't as secure of a job as working at the cdc, my parents would have been concerned if I mentioned it to them. (trying to explain my thoughts here lol). For example, if he told them he was thinking about quitting his job and moving to the beach to work as a school teacher, they would most likely not look highly on that. This is a totally random scenario but I'm thinking maybe he did just go off the radar for a while to escape the pressure of his job and family. Many things don't point in that direction though. He is most likely very financially secure because he is single and has a great job. I am sure they are looking at his financial stuff to see if there's any clues.
Also, I don't think the meeting with the supervisor is what was the breaking point, if there was a breaking point. Because he told the neighbor to delete his number prior to that meeting.
These are really rambling thoughts but I can't seem to get Tim off my mind and wanted to throw out my thoughts here

Yes, absolutely it's what is "coming out" (in whatever way) that's the key. I remember when working in an addictions unit speaking to a very long-term alcoholic who was technically de-toxed but standing close to him and especially when you could smell his breath there was a powerful odour of a rotting smell from inside, which I can only think was internal organs starting to break down. Decomposition from the inside out. It was one way of telling when people had gone "past the point" of recovery, where no amount of abstention was going to reverse the damage.

And definitely, you can tell from gases expelled the other end whether there is something very serious going on, or if it's a case of an infection caused diarrhoea. Maybe I should apply to be a human bloodhound, second career option! But I think we humans are mostly picking it up at a late stage and as you say samara, catching delicate scents early enough may involve visiting "more exotic creatures". It makes me think of the use of parasites that perhaps we could use to fight disease, but public acceptance, hmmmmmmmmmm!!!

On a lighter note, I had a sweet little Bengal cat years ago who would whenever I had "the painters and decorators in" would spend quite a bit of time checking me out. Occasionally female friends/family would receive "extra attention" from her and I had to stop her when she started trying to go up skirts etc :blushing::hand:.

It is so difficult to read his thread, I hope we learn soon if he has been found. A brilliant mind and so much to live for so it would seem. Work related career stress is brutal.

It is so difficult to read his thread, I hope we learn soon if he has been found. A brilliant mind and so much to live for so it would seem. Work related career stress is brutal.

It certainly is, I've been there myself, and it can have a very bad effect on people. Some managers seem to become power-crazed and make life very difficult for people who have a differing opinion or who question the corporate line on a particular issue. Healthcare is my background and although generally I think people in this field are a fairly tolerant lot, I have come across some who refuse to look at all the evidence available in some issues. Vaccines are a big area of contention.

In the past big health organisations have got some matters catastrophically wrong through stubbornness and refusing to question their own judgement. You should always allow freedom of expression, a lot of things in life are just about probabilities, not certainties.
It does make me wonder whether Timothy was being put in this position of having to choose between his own critical thinking and having a successful career. He seems like such a special person with so much more to contribute. One of my wisest former nursing sisters often used to ask carers and staff, "yes, but who's looking after you?" Someone has to look after the people who look after so many others, especially their managers.

Two things are bothering me. First, it was reported "Cunningham was not seen on CDC surveillance cameras leaving the facility, nor was he captured on camera pulling his car into his garage." So has it ever been clarified whether TC ever left the facility? We assume he went home because his car was there but maybe he went to work by some other means.

Second, it was reported TC is 5'11" and weighed 230 lbs. According to an online BMI calculator TC is obese. He works in chronic disease prevention. Obesity is a chronic disease; could he have been denied the promotion because of his weight?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...ion-before-disappearance-police-say/708133686

http://www.11alive.com/mobile/artic...dc-employee-missing-since-monday/85-519865321

Getting the promotion wouldn't have been the cause, but it could have his breaking point, where he felt he couldn't handle anything else, or that the status quo was intolerable. What he achieved and accomplished has very little to do with how he might have seen himself, or how he felt emotionally, or his ability to cope.

Source - myself, as an overachiever with degrees and letters after my name and a high level position at a fortune 500 company. I'm on two antidepressants, an antianxiety med, sleeping meds... just so I can get up and get through the day and pretend to be ok. Coworkers and friends are clueless. Family, less so, but still nowhere near knowing how close to the edge I've gotten.

He is not in a high-risk demographic to be a crime victim (age, education, employment, family background, etc), and far more people commit suicide than disappear to start another life. With his family's comments, leaving his dog and belongings, this just screams suicide to me.

They need to search within a couple miles of his home, and searchers need to remember to look up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So many good points in this post. Thank you Wyle E for your always insightful words on many cases over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998