GA GA- UncMale (poss. Middle Eastern), 40-50, UP17578, found dead on the set of the 1989 film Glory. Feb '89.

cheemsg

Reaction score
Found on the movie set? Sometimes I wish NamUs was more specific... like, how and when? During filming? Before filming? I need more details.
Glory (1989) - IMDb
Trivia section of Glory. The John Doe isn't mentioned. It says a lot of civil war reenactors wanted to be in the film so much they didn't ask for pay. He could have been one of them, I suppose.

You'd think an unidentified dead man showing up on the set would have stalled the production but it didn't, and this doesn't seem to be common knowledge.

Glory (1989) - IMDb
Trivia section of Glory. The John Doe isn't mentioned. It says a lot of civil war reenactors wanted to be in the film so much they didn't ask for pay. He could have been one of them, I suppose.

You'd think an unidentified dead man showing up on the set would have stalled the production but it didn't, and this doesn't seem to be common knowledge.
So was this a movie set as in a real-world setting that they were filming in, or a movie set as in an enclosed studio with all the lights and cameras and stuff?

So was this a movie set as in a real-world setting that they were filming in, or a movie set as in an enclosed studio with all the lights and cameras and stuff?
Its a film about the civil war and it filmed scenes in several southern states. I think they mainly used them for exterior shots for battle scenes. So I guess it could be they were filming a battle scene in some field and found his body?

How do they know he was Middle Eastern? Blue eyes are not terribly common with Middle Easterners. Very strange.
Front gold teeth were in fashion with different cultures, I think of Eastern Europeans... he may have been Eastern European, actually.

How do they know he was Middle Eastern? Blue eyes are not terribly common with Middle Easterners. Very strange.
Front gold teeth were in fashion with different cultures, I think of Eastern Europeans... he may have been Eastern European, actually.
Yeah, he doesn't even look particularly Middle Eastern to me in the morgue photo.

If he was doing doing costume re-enactment extra work for a Civil War era film, he certainly wasn't dressed for it.....tan pants white shirt, white socks.

I wonder if it was rehearsals and they didn't have their uniforms on yet?

He looks a bit Hispanic to me, and his short height of 5 ft. 7 in could back that up.

Could he be an immigrant from El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico etc who went to Georgia to pick fruit but decided to supplement his income further?

If they kept any specimens, they could do genetic genealogy and at least find out where his ancestors lived.

I hope they did.

I do wonder where this man's wallet and drivers license were .?

Did the film provide an area with temporary cabins to house the extras' belongings and personal items while they were at work?

You would think so, and if there was one left after filming, they would check it belonged to the deceased man or not.

Or perhaps they just didn't care.....?

He looks like he's from Micronesia or somewhere around there, like Guam or Marshall Islands. He doesn't look Middle Eastern to me.

I hope they did.

I do wonder where this man's wallet and drivers license were .?

Did the film provide an area with temporary cabins to house the extras' belongings and personal items while they were at work?

You would think so, and if there was one left after filming, they would check it belonged to the deceased man or not.

Or perhaps they just didn't care.....?
Honestly I dont think its that likely he was actually an actual extra. Probably they just stumbled upon his body on a location they were filming at and he had nothing to do with the production. But they should still be a little more specific.

If he was doing doing costume re-enactment extra work for a Civil War era film, he certainly wasn't dressed for it.....tan pants white shirt, white socks.
Quoting my own post here, because having looked at some photos of some extras on the set, tan pants, white shirt, brown jacket is EXACTLY what some of them were wearing.

Photo below.

I still think this man may be an Hispanic immigrant and went to Georgia for farming or labouring jobs etc. and decided to try a few other things.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221223-003317~2.png
    Screenshot_20221223-003317~2.png
    710 KB · Views: 28
Based on the morgue photo alone he does look vaguely Middle Eastern to me. I've met a few people of Middle Eastern heritage with green eyes and light-colored eyes seem to be relatively common among certain Middle Eastern populations (a quick Google search tells me there's a lot of people with light eyes in northern Egypt). Light eyes definitely seem more common among Middle Eastern people then in most other non-European people.

I have a Lebanese friend who has green eyes, but never seen a middle eastern person with blue eyes. It is a bit strange.

I wonder if it was rehearsals and they didn't have their uniforms on yet?

He looks a bit Hispanic to me, and his short height of 5 ft. 7 in could back that up.

Could he be an immigrant from El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico etc who went to Georgia to pick fruit but decided to supplement his income further?

Not a formal scholar, not searching for a link, but both armies had trouble with supply lines. Soldiers on both sides wore civilian clothes. Progressive & hardcore re-enactors know this.

'Tan' pants could certainly be butternut:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back