Found Deceased GA - University of Georgia Laken Hope Riley, 22, found dead near University of Georgia intramural fields, foul play suspected, 22 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
University of Georgia murder suspect Jose Antonio Ibarra was just in court.No bond.Media was allowed in, but not allowed to show Ibarra on camera.His lawyer argued he should not be shown on camera in jail clothing, and judge agreed so we could not show him.

My initial comment was a side comment and I don't want to derail the thread.

I am talking about the general cultural conversation needs to shift from telling women to be safe to telling men to do no harm. It shifts the onus from someone who might be a victim to someone who might be a perp and hopefully would make a cultural shift happen where violence against women (and children) becomes more visible, becomes a more important topic, and is taken more seriously than it currently seems to be in general. For example, a person being stalked or a victim of DV is often not believed or the system can't or won't do much to help often until it is too late. Or too many indigenous and minority women are murdered or disappear and... there's just nothing.

Again, I am talking about a cultural mindshift. It takes years -- kind of like how there have been cultural shifts around cigarette use, drunk driving, and wearing seatbelts.

I may not be explaining it well but I hope some can at least consider the benefit such a shift would bring if we, as a culture, made the idea of violence toward women a stronger concept of men needing to stop doing violence rather than women just needing to protect themselves.

(Yes, the issues are more than that. I know. I can hear the arguments starting. My comment is general and long term, hoping for a better future.)

Moo.
I understand what you are saying, but the males I know don't need to be told/reminded to treat others safely, that's what they do naturally.

The males who need this kind of admonition are not likely to heed it.

JMO.

I understand what you are saying, but the males I know don't need to be told/reminded to treat others safely, that's what they do naturally.

The males who need this kind of admonition are not likely to heed it.

JMO.

I agree. My point is raise general awareness so all space becomes safer space.

I think there's unawareness of the extent of the problem as well as general ennui about change in general to make this less of a problem in the long term.

University of Georgia murder suspect Jose Antonio Ibarra was just in court.No bond.Media was allowed in, but not allowed to show Ibarra on camera.His lawyer argued he should not be shown on camera in jail clothing, and judge agreed so we could not show him.

Why on earth should he have the right to not be shown wearing prison clothing?

Why on earth should he have the right to not be shown wearing prison clothing?

I think this is standard in many court jurisdictions since the defendant has not yet been found guilty of the crime. In court with photographers, photos would be published in local media and could have an effect on the jury pool.
Just my thoughts, IANAL.

Interesting that Jose's facebook profile link has the name "Victor Franco" in the URL. His Tiktok looks like @gochofranco, based on reels he shared. (I don't use tiktok, so am only looking at reels he also shared to his fb.)

Interesting that Jose's facebook profile link has the name "Victor Franco" in the URL. His Tiktok looks like @gochofranco, based on reels he shared. (I don't use tiktok, so am only looking at reels he also shared to his fb.)

I saw a comment calling him Victor too. Wondering what proof the US has of his real identity?

Hmmm... used one or more 'aliases' ?
Omo.

Suspect Jose Antonio Ibarra illegally crossed into El Paso, Texas from Venezuela in 2022 and was released due to lack of detention space, according to NewsNation.

Ibarra has been charged with malice murder, felony murder, aggravated battery, aggravated assault, false imprisonment, kidnapping, hindering a 911 call, and concealing the death of another, according to UGA police chief Jeffrey Clark.

They likely only have to prove he forced her off the trail. The elements of kidnapping just require any movement of the person. False imprisonment is then preventing the movement of someone. I assume they also found evidence she tried to call 911. I’m over simplifying, but the crimes are broader than the colloquial use of these terms. (Not familiar with Georgia law specifically, just speaking generally about the Model Penal Code.)
Thank you so much BlaiseFinlay for weighing in on that. I don't suppose she put herself in the bushes. I also considered the possibility that they're throwing every single possible charge at this guy and hoping as many as possible stick and go through trial. I'm grateful for your expert opinion.

I wonder where the video cameras are that LE were able to use what it caught to get Jose? What did they capture? :( If there were cameras along the trail or even at the start, then I'm sure that added a layer of feeling safe for those that walk and run there.

Seeing that LE only thinks she was dead for 30 minutes when they found her, this is a very tight timeline. WHY did her roommate think something was wrong that fast? I was assuming maybe she went to run earlier in the morning and so by noon it was concerning for her to not return. It seems it must have been much quicker than that. If LE was called, then it took 10 or so minutes to respond and then took them a while to get there and then find her.. It seems Laken was likely being murdered at the exact time LE was being called.. so did she try to alert the roommate somehow? Did her roommate see her on an app like Snapchat or Life360 and see that she stopped running or something like that?

I wonder where the video cameras are that LE were able to use what it caught to get Jose? What did they capture? :( If there were cameras along the trail or even at the start, then I'm sure that added a layer of feeling safe for those that walk and run there.
I'm not sure it's safe for females to run or hike. I can't believe I'm saying that.
There was a time when young women widely believed it was safe to hitchhike. Once you recognize the evil in the world, you are forced to live differently. It's a sad reality.

So here is the police report that was posted a few pages back.

12:07 her friend reports that Laken went to the intramural fields earlier in the day to run and hadn't returned.
12:20 2 officers began searching the trails.
12:38 as one officer was searching the woods along the trail he located her.

The officer began CPR and continued until someone else arrived with an AED and that was also used in an attempt to save her. :(

So a few thoughts..

Was her run almost over when she was attacked? The report says earlier in the day she went to run.. so if LE only thinks she was dead for 30 minutes or so was that based on the video and seeing a suspect leave or her running? Was it based on her body temp? Was she attacked earlier and she didn't die right away? Did he take her to his apartment and dump her on the trail later?

Attachments

• joseibarra.jpeg
    joseibarra.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 23

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members