General Gun Violence/Gun Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish they would all be banned. I don't know anyone that owns a gun aside from my 1 SIL in the USA.
That seems odd to me. I would be hard pressed to think of someone in my circle of family, friends, neighbors and community members that don’t own at least one firearm. I’m in Louisiana so that could be part of it, idk.

My comfort level is greater with the upstanding citizen gun owners around me. Because I know the criminals won’t care one bit if gun ownership is banned or controlled - THEY won’t be AFFECTED. imo

Your explanation for the mistake you made is not very good.

You cite proposed law not current law and wrongly state that the target rifle in my post is a quote "variant" of the M16, AR-10, and AR-15. Nope. It is not a variant of those rifles.

JMO.
My mistakes tend to underwhelm.

You have to re-read what I wrote. I didn’t say that.

I said variants of the weapon that you highlighted are under proposed restrictions and bans, and a google search made me think they were all grouped together.

In this case I did my best to explain it. And this is deflecting from my general point.

Your explanation for the mistake you made is not very good.

You cite proposed law not current law and wrongly state that the target rifle in my post is a quote "variant" of the M16, AR-10, and AR-15. Nope. It is not a variant of those rifles.

JMO.
What am I missing? Her posts would make sense to non Americans imo.

That seems odd to me. I would be hard pressed to think of someone in my circle of family, friends, neighbors and community members that don’t own at least one firearm. I’m in Louisiana so that could be part of it, idk.

My comfort level is greater with the upstanding citizen gun owners around me. Because I know the criminals won’t care one bit if gun ownership is banned or controlled - THEY won’t be AFFECTED. imo
Bbm, that might be it. I dunno.

Thanks Ranch. I asked earlier which countries have the right to bear and keep arms And why? I am truly unaware. I am not in the USA. And some articles and shows seem to put forward that the constitution in that regard is misconstrued by some citizens. No I do not have links handy, and it appears that as I am not a citizen of the USA and as such do not have knowledge inside and out of USA firearm laws. I don't fault myself for that. The topic did not say USA but frankly the deaths and injuries there are astounding to me.

Thanks Ranch. I asked earlier which countries have the right to bear and keep arms And why? I am truly unaware. I am not in the USA. And some articles and shows seem to put forward that the constitution in that regard is misconstrued by some citizens. No I do not have links handy, and it appears that as I am not a citizen of the USA and as such do not have knowledge inside and out of USA firearm laws. I don't fault myself for that. The topic did not say USA but frankly the deaths and injuries there are astounding to me.
Honestly I live in the US and I'm not too concerned about other democratic countries gun laws.

If Canada or other countries want to ban all firearm ownership for their citizens I have no problem with that. JMO.

Variants are in the eyes of the beholder. It's not an objective scientific term - it's a relative one and people need to pin it down (which is why we study things).

Each of us can divide guns up into whatever categories we wish (archaic and modern; long and short - those are the most popular ones). Gun enthusiasts, of course, have many more categories so they can speak to each other and buy/sell guns that they wish to own.

To me, knowing the difference between automatic, semi-automatic and mechanical fire weaponry is enough. I don't need many more categories (aside from working/not working; long and short).

If a weapon is a semi-automatic .22 LR, and it's long, it is (to me) in the same category as all other semi-automatic long guns regardless of caliber of bullet (because, as I posted earlier, a .22 can do a very good - even superior - job of kiling a human and I know lots of police who carry .22 semi-automatic pistols and some who carry .22 revolvers - as their preference). I now know the difference and have one of each. If I ever put one in my nightstand drawer again, it will likely be the revolver, as its "safety" feature is understood by me - along with my knowledge of where and how to use a .22 for self-defense (my only purpose in having a gun).

IMO

Honestly I live in the US and I'm not too concerned about other democratic countries gun laws.

If Canada or other countries want to ban all firearm ownership for their citizens I have no problem with that. JMO.
Ok thanks Ranch. Trying to understand other countries' gun laws can be challenging for a person like me. I suppose I have a sunny outlook where I am. Maybe I am stupid, maybe not. I am an old fogey. We don't lock my doors and I don't have a key to them either. There are 2 places I have considered living in the US but frankly the gun violence scares me too much. No offense to anyone. Peace to all.

Last edited:
Family? Maybe not. Appropriately licensed health professional, with testimony in court -- yeah.

If more families were able to obtain guardianship of their adult children, there would be less crime in the news:

The shooter's father sought guardianship after his son had a brain injury & after a few inpatient stays.

Judge wouldn't grant that.

The judge is responsible for Officer Snyder's death, imho.

Trenton Forster was convicted of first degree murder, now serving LWOP.

Enabled by a judge to create a widow & fatherless child, enabled to murder Blake Snyder.

The process is on the books -- courts need to comply for public safety.
Families are quite capable of recognizing emotional instability in a loved one. It is totally understandable that they want to remove weapons so that loved one doesn't harm themselves or others.

Such laws have nothing to do with guardianship of adults. Your link does not say how the shooter obtained his weapon.

JMO

any opinion except for "we need to limit gun access for american citizens" really blows my mind, considering we are the only country where this regularly happens, and we are a laughing stock/saaaad butt of many jokes amongst other nations for how obvious the solution is, but how stubborn Americans are about guns. you cannot kill 10 people with a rock or a knife in 2 minutes. it is so so so different and not even comparable to an AR15 etc.
You said it. The solutions for reducing deaths by guns significantly are obvious. The will to do it is not there. I mean if the Supreme Court is needed to decide whether guns should be kept out of the hands of domestic abusers .... SMH

In your experience, how rigorous and thorough are the background checks? Personally I don't understand how you could complete a background check fast enough for a weekend gun show.
I'm really curious about the following: Did they ask if you had any restraining orders? Did they check to see if you were recently fired from your job? Do they even ask if the buyer has ever been convicted of assault, rape or domestic violence? What about convictions for child abuse/neglect or failure to pay child support? Previously hospitalized for mental illness (either forced or willing)?
Do they look for your name and any hate group affiliations?
Do they look at your social media to see if you have been posting threats?
And how do they ensure someone isn't lying?
Background checks are not nearly as thorough in the USA as they are in Canada. Not even close. That's one of the main problems.

Yes. It really is a simple equation.

Fewer guns = fewer gun deaths.

imo
BBM. It really is quite simple to me and our family. Many years ago, when our kids were in elementary school, a young couple that we knew through our membership at a local swimming pool plus the elementary school parenting programs, seemed to us to be happy in their marriage and with their three small children. We had a lot of fun socializing at our homes and sitting by the side of the pool on weekends.

One night, the young wife returned home to find her husband dead in the garage. At the same time, our other friends, their neighbors, returned to their home after a night out at a restaurant and there was crime scene tape around their home. The young father of our friend had committed suicide in the garage of their home.

He was an FBI agent. His death haunts us.

Our family, which now includes adult children, continues to be amazed that a political party that claims to be "pro-life" still refuses to acknowledge the correlation between mental instability and gun violence. I don't consider it to be a "social" issue. I think it is a human rights/civil rights issue and my entire family agrees with me.

JMO

BBM. It really is quite simple to me and our family. Many years ago, when our kids were in elementary school, a young couple that we knew through our membership at a local swimming pool plus the elementary school parenting programs, seemed to us to be happy in their marriage and with their three small children. We had a lot of fun socializing at our homes and sitting by the side of the pool on weekends.

One night, the young wife returned home to find her husband dead in the garage. At the same time, our other friends, their neighbors, returned to their home after a night out at a restaurant and there was crime scene tape around their home. The young father of our friend had committed suicide in the garage of their home.

He was an FBI agent. His death haunts us.

Our family, which now includes adult children, continues to be amazed that a political party that claims to be "pro-life" still refuses to acknowledge the correlation between mental instability and gun violence. I don't consider it to be a "social" issue. I think it is a human rights/civil rights issue and my entire family agrees with me.

JMO
Should the FBI agent not have had access to a gun? What kind of gun did he use? Should those firearms not be allowed?
I own over a dozen firearms. None have even ever been pointed at another human being. Why should I no longer be allowed to own them?

Should the FBI agent not have had access to a gun? What kind of gun did he use? Should those firearms not be allowed?
I own over a dozen firearms. None have even ever been pointed at another human being. Why should I no longer be allowed to own them?
Good questions.
I've watched a lot of police body cam videos where people commit suicide by cop. They are often armed with a knife and charge at the police forcing them to shoot.

Should we disarm police to prevent these suicides and lower "gun deaths" ?

JMO.

My point continues to be that the mentally unstable should not have access to weapons.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members