Glee actor Cory Monteith found dead in Vancouver

Cory Monteith may have been at high risk for overdose

http://www.tallahassee.com/usatoday/article/2523037

People such as Cory Monteith who have used heavy drugs can have an increased risk of a fatal overdose in the period after leaving rehab, doctors say.......

Once those drugs are cleared from person's system, however, taking a big dose all at once can prove fatal, Benowitz says.......

So heroin suppresses respiration not by damaging the lungs but by damaging parts of the brain that tell the lungs to breathe, Brown says......more

How is it Canadian coroners can give a cause of death after a couple of days while in the US and UK it takes months and sometimes longer?

The results of both the autopsy and the toxicology tests are not expected to be released for several days, but McLintock said she would try to expedite the process.

"We might try and do some queue jumping to see if we can get them a little earlier, simply because we recognize this is a case with huge amount of public interest," she said in Victoria.

"We'll try and get them done reasonably quickly, but still maintaining the integrity of the investigation and the same tests and the same thoroughness we do for anyone else."

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/cory-monteith-autopsy-toxicology-completed

Cory Monteith may have been at high risk for overdose

http://www.tallahassee.com/usatoday/article/2523037

People such as Cory Monteith who have used heavy drugs can have an increased risk of a fatal overdose in the period after leaving rehab, doctors say.......

Once those drugs are cleared from person's system, however, taking a big dose all at once can prove fatal, Benowitz says.......

So heroin suppresses respiration not by damaging the lungs but by damaging parts of the brain that tell the lungs to breathe, Brown says......more

This is so true. An addict gets used to a certain amount of a drug. Then they get clean for a period of time and, if they decide to use again, many don't realize that their body can no longer handle the large dose it was used to.

Does anyone know if he used needles or snorted the heroin? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

I am so sad about this. The fact that it was heroin and alcohol hits even closer to home as my sister's drugs of choice were heroin and alcohol. It breaks my heart to think someone can be trying to turn things around and all it takes is one time to shut their body down forever.

This is so true. An addict gets used to a certain amount of a drug. Then they get clean for a period of time and, if they decide to use again, many don't realize that their body can no longer handle the large dose it was used to.

Does anyone know if he used needles or snorted the heroin? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

I am so sad about this. The fact that it was heroin and alcohol hits even closer to home as my sister's drugs of choice were heroin and alcohol. It breaks my heart to think someone can be trying to turn things around and all it takes is one time to shut their body down forever.

Hopeful One
What you said reminded me of the time in the 80's, iirc florida and there had been a dry spell (lack of coke) and then it started to come around again and it was of a stronger variety and people were over dosing,showing up in the emergency rooms. It was being talked about like a public service announcement to warn people about the new stronger cocaine on the market. jmo

Hopeful One
What you said reminded me of the time in the 80's, iirc florida and there had been a dry spell (lack of coke) and then it started to come around again and it was of a stronger variety and people were over dosing,showing up in the emergency rooms. It was being talked about like a public service announcement to warn people about the new stronger cocaine on the market. jmo

That's so scary. As if illegal drugs weren't scary enough!!! I feel so blessed and thankful that this didn't happen to my sister. But I still worry about her because, unlike the MEDIA, I know that addiction never truly goes away and the possibility of a relapse is always there. It's terrifying. She's almost like my own child - I will worry about her till the day I die.

Generally people just go back to the amount they were using before they were sober...
Then they accidentally overdose because their tolerance isn't as high.
That's likely what happened here... I wonder if people are warned about that in treatment?

Yes, people are warned. Education about drugs and drug usage is a big part of any legitimate rehab program.

And yes, the time right after a person gets clean is a very vulnerable time. Known as a time when overdoses are seen. So is the time right before a person goes into rehab. They often like to have "one last party", which can turn out to be their last party ever.

Along with a lesser tolerance for the drug after getting clean as a possible cause of overdose is the problem that heroin is a street drug. Always. Not produced by a pharmaceutical manufacturing company where chemists are checking the strengths of the dosages in each batch. So with heroin, you never really know what you are getting - in terms of the amount of the actual heroin itself and the amount of "filler" that it has been cut with.

Alcohol is a Central Nervous System depressant. Heroin, along with all of the opiates, is a powerful Central Nervous System depressant. Heroin specifically acts upon a portion of the brain that acts as the "pilot light" in the sense that it is the center that keeps us breathing. When we sleep. Even when we are unconscious, we will breathe. (Not anesthetized unconscious, just unconscious from fainting and such.)

So the person usually passes out and then just stops breathing. As for being "obviously deceased", the body turns blue from lack of oxygen.

I am, like all of you, shocked and saddened at the death of this talented young man. I would doubt a suicide. Accidental overdose is much more common.

I have two friends who have lost children to this drug. It is a difficult, difficult thing to comfort your friend after this type of loss. I did urge each of them to just be truthful about the cause of death, which they had already decided to do anyway. In one family in particular, that truthfulness did not go over well with some family members. And some of them were, I thought, just awful in their lack of sympathy. So this can be just terrible for family members.

Please, please, all of you who have younger children (mine are grown, I'm now dealing with grandchildren) use this death as an opportunity to open discussions with your children about this. You can educate yourself and your children at the same time.

The above linked article describing a warning by LE about heroin overdoses increasing in the British Columbia area is indeed interesting. The article describes the heroin as being "cut with" fentanyl. Which is odd. And very deadly.

First of all heroin is a "natural" product, in the sense that it is a derivative of the poppy plant. Like morphine. Usually, pure heroin is "cut with" (diluted by) an inert substance, such as baby powder. Or baking soda. Something cheap to mix in with the heroin as a "filler". So the dealer can make more money on their original investment.

To "cut" heroin with fentanyl - which is a "designer drug", a synthetic opiate made in a laboratory - does not make a whole lot of sense in terms of economic benefit to a drug dealer.

And since Fentanyl is 100 times stronger than morphine, any heroin cut with fentanyl would be very deadly.

I had already discussed this with my kids.
We discussed the drugs that have no medical use... and those that do.
We discussed legal and illegal ones.

Ironically a few days before my Aunt passed away.
There is a good chance I was having that talk with my kids as my Aunt lay in bed dying.
The timing is still creepy for me to think about.

I didn't know who Cory was until I saw it everywhere that he died and looked up who he was. I was watching clips of him from Glee then eventually I got into watching Season 1 of Glee. I watched all 4 season in exactly 2 weeks. What a talented and good looking man he was. My heart absolutely breaks for Lea Michele and his family. From what I read Cory wanted to get better. The Glee cast and Lea did an intervention with him back in March. He entered rehab and was sober up until he passed away. Lea is apparently beside herself. For those that don't know he and Lea were close to marriage. Lea plays Rachel on Glee and also his love interest on the show. Lea reportedly told him you get clean or I am out. He agreed to do the rehab and he told Ryan Murphy the creator of Glee that he wanted to be better. The whole thing is SOOO sad. They are going to be doing a tribute to Cory/Finn on the third episode of Glee. They are going to actually have the cast do PSA's about drugs and Lea is the one who is handling everything regarding what they do with Cory and the show. The whole cast of Glee is just reeling over his death. Regardless of the drugs Cory was a good man. I just think because he was clean he took the dosage he usually did and his body could not handle it.

I was a big Cory and Lea fan. Their voices were beautiful together, too. This is such a tragedy because I think he was a person who really wanted to get well and had a slip with tragic results.

Not sure I've had to deal with a TV show killing off a young character because the actor passed.

I was a big Cory and Lea fan. Their voices were beautiful together, too. This is such a tragedy because I think he was a person who really wanted to get well and had a slip with tragic results.

Not sure I've had to deal with a TV show killing off a young character because the actor passed.
Better than re-casting Finn with a different actor. Would never work...

So sad...
We are major Gleeks in my house. The Finn tribute episode is going to be hard to watch (airs next week)

I saw the previews....made me tear up.

I noticed that Finn (Cory) wasn't in the two Beatles episodes they aired. Was he off in Rehab at the time they filmed them??

So sad...
We are major Gleeks in my house. The Finn tribute episode is going to be hard to watch (airs next week)
Hoping the series continues after this, but I have discovered that both the actors who play Kurt's dad and Emma have gone on to do new series.

Watched it tonight, it was fairly well done, and very sad. You could tell the actors were genuinely sad for Cory's death and not just acting for the character. I was glad they mostly focused on the older characters like Puck and Santana, and not as much on the younger characters who hadn't had as much interaction with him. I understand why characters like Rory and Joseph weren't there, but I do wish Brittney and Quinn would have been there. And although they didn't explain how the character died, I'm glad they did the PSA after the episode about addiction. I would've liked a small montage of his work on Glee.
Lastly, I'm glad to know the show will continue after a break on Nov. 7th.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back