Google and Yahoo searches hang...

mic730

Former Member
Reaction score
Everytime I try to do a google or yahoo search it hangs eventually with the not responding message. I can search ask.com or other engines just not those 2. I have shut down and am able to do a couple searches but it goes right back to the hang after that. Any ideas?

Personally I suspect its your browser. If you try a different browser (such as netscape) and it doesn't happen then you'll have a better idea.

OR

Try doing this:

Go to Google's new Alpha test site for "Come to my head" news engine.
http://newsengine.di.unipi.it/news-bin/comeToMyHead?p=1

In the top right hand corner there is a COMPARISON SEARCH link. Click on that and it will bring you to a sreen where all the news search engines are listed.

Deselect all - except for Google and Yahoo and see if it works

It will most likely hang, but since you are using a different interface you might get better results.

I used to post on a forum that would create an "illegal error" whenever I tried to post, and shut everything down. It only happened at that site.

I solved the problem by using a different browser when I went to that site... I have since eliminated the problem completely by no longer going there!

Those are my two suggestions on a "work around". More techie people on here may be able to answer why its happening
smile.gif

Scan your computer for spyware as soon as possible. Some spyware hijacks your browser and won't let all normal operations continue. We have had the same thing happen to a computer at the office and it was due to spyware.

I got a new spyware program and it found over 8000 spyware programs and removed them all. No more problems with searches. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Hiya Mic,

Please see the threads I have put up in forum finesse for keeping your computer running well...there are good tips like cleaning out your temp files...this will speed it up a bit.....

To clean out your temp files totally do this:
go to start, then run, then type in %temp%, this will open your temp files, click on edit, then select all, then delete all files in this folder.

Here are instructions to do a 'clean up' http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28241

Here are instructions to do a defrag
http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28240

Doing these little things will clear out some stuff and speed it up a bit.

Now, if your adware/spyware programs found 8000 spyware programs, even though you think they are removed, I bet they are hiding in files you can't see, they will reinfect and hijack your browser agian if you don't get them completely off your computer.

If you would like, you can do the following then go to www.techsupportguy.org, under forums go to security and post your hijack log, the guys/gals there will analize it and give you step by step instructions to get everything removed, it is a free site, you just have to register to start a new thread.

Please download Hijackthis Here
Let it Place Hijackthis in C:\Program Files\Hijackthis
Open Hijackthis
Click on Do a System Scan and Save log file
Don't Fix any Items!!!
Just copy and paste the contents of the log file to the thread, name the thread PLEASE CHECK MY HJT LOG and you'll be amazed at the stuff they find and how well your computer will run when they are through.

Christine you are the computer angel from above! I did the spybot and it worked for a day. Back to the same problem. I was taking my computer to the shop but I am going to try posting hijack this log first!
I remember your advice from last time and it is not in a temp folder anymore.
THANKS!!

Christine - used that forum and Hijack This. The list of instructions was long but not complicated. I did everything and Google is back plus my computer is running great! Thanks so much for the advice and the directions of where to get help! :blowkiss:

mic730 said:
Christine - used that forum and Hijack This. The list of instructions was long but not complicated. I did everything and Google is back plus my computer is running great! Thanks so much for the advice and the directions of where to get help! :blowkiss:
I'm so glad they were able to help you and get things fixed up. They are a great group of people there and have helped me fix many problems.

Oh, and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STEELERS!!!!!!

Christine, I took your advice and looked at your other threads on keeping my computer running well and learned a wealth of information! I did a lot of upkeep on my PC last night and performance is so much better today. Thank you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back