Google Location Tracking

Reaction score
While listening to a recent podcast, I discovered that Google tracks locations through smart phones. I have some questions about this.

How long has Google done this? For instance, if I wanted to know the location of someone at a specific time and date in September 2008, would there still be a record of this?

Is there something specific that causes tracking, for example, does the person have to have a Google or gmail account?

If it were tracked on an iPhone, would that make a difference as to the availability of this information?

I listened to the same podcast and was left very skeptical.

Google tracks all your movements when you have your cellphone with you.

Under what conditions?

For example, does it do this only if you are logged into your google/gmail account?

Does flip phone vs smartphone make a difference?

etc

you don't have to be logged into anything
for example if I go to a shopping centre, messages automatically pop up on my phone asking if I'd like to leave reviews for various stores/restaurants located at that shopping centre
don't know about the flip phone

you don't have to be logged into anything
for example if I go to a shopping centre, messages automatically pop up on my phone asking if I'd like to leave reviews for various stores/restaurants located at that shopping centre
don't know about the flip phone
Thanks. I'm still wary -- so many people keep themselves logged in to gmail, facebook, etc, that I'm just not certain the tracking works if one isn't logged in to some accounts. If it does, my question would be -- how does google/facebook/whoever is the source of the notifications know that the person is there? Device gps can always be turned off. Anyway, interesting to learn how it works.

Thanks. I'm still wary -- so many people keep themselves logged in to gmail, facebook, etc, that I'm just not certain the tracking works if one isn't logged in to some accounts. If it does, my question would be -- how does google/facebook/whoever is the source of the notifications know that the person is there? Device gps can always be turned off. Anyway, interesting to learn how it works.

I don't know the answer to your q's. I don't know why or how it happens ... just that it does. It's actually creepy.

Google tracks all your movements when you have your cellphone with you.

Experiment. Travel logged into your gmail accounts and unlogged. It still knows exactly where I am at even asks if I want to make a yelp review of the cafe or the store I was visiting.

Try this, I did it still tracks me.
Probably would have to delete any apps or gmail associated with your phone.
How to Get Google to Quit Tracking You

Experiment. Travel logged into your gmail accounts and unlogged. It still knows exactly where I am at even asks if I want to make a yelp review of the cafe or the store I was visiting.

Try this, I did it still tracks me.
Probably would have to delete any apps or gmail associated with your phone.
How to Get Google to Quit Tracking You
Not sure if you were addressing me. I don't have a smartphone or I would be trying it myself.

I have a google account but don't generally stay logged in. I have an ipad with location tracking turned off. No facebook account. I have a flip phone with location turned off (at least I think so).

I have turned off everything I think could track me, but have no idea how to know if I'm wrong. Don't even know where to look.

Hence all the questions. What app/program sends out the notifications? It's very interesting to me. I'm learning a good bit from the Kelsey Berreth thread.

Does anyone know if this information was available in 2008, and if so, would it still be available today?
Or how could I go about finding this out?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back