Found Deceased Greece - Steve Cook, 20, Malia, Crete, 31 Aug 2005

They also found a belt in the well aswel so that night be a clue, pink seams to be an unlucky colour for people going missing,

They also found a belt in the well aswel so that night be a clue, pink seams to be an unlucky colour for people going missing,

Yes, the belt too. Probably more intact than clothing but not as easy to ID.

Hard to tell from the pictures how deep the water is and presumably lots of it had been drained out before they made the discovery. Also unclear whether it was a working well, though you'd think someone would have smelled (or tasted - eeeuwww!) something if it was still being used.

Have you read the sightings page on the family website? There have been several leads that have generated hope including on Rhodes.

http://www.findstevencook.co.uk/possible_sightings_of_Steven_Cook.htm

it could be that the well was only used to irrigate farm land in the dry summers in stead of actually for drinking water but I'm not sure, rhodes is next to Crete it's a shame that they weren't able to find the person in the sighting even to rule them out,

it could be that the well was only used to irrigate farm land in the dry summers in stead of actually for drinking water but I'm not sure, rhodes is next to Crete it's a shame that they weren't able to find the person in the sighting even to rule them out,

I think you're probably right about the water. Hope so anyway!

He would have been very unlucky to have fallen in that well but if he was walking along the fence line between the building and cemetery car park not impossible. Still think he was more likely dumped there though. Looks like the new owner of the well has done a fair bit of work to improve it recently.

it could be that the well was only used to irrigate farm land in the dry summers in stead of actually for drinking water

Considering the well is reported to be inside the cemetery, the thought of drinking water into which the bodies in the cemetery have been decomposing and leaking is actually quite grim.

If you've ever been to Norwich you may have come across one of the city's medieval churches, St John Maddermarket, with a parish waterpump directly outside and slightly down slope of the graveyard.

Considering the well is reported to be inside the cemetery, the thought of drinking water into which the bodies in the cemetery have been decomposing and leaking is actually quite grim.

If you've ever been to Norwich you may have come across one of the city's medieval churches, St John Maddermarket, with a parish waterpump directly outside and slightly down slope of the graveyard.
Looking on google and comparing to the Photos in the Sun it looks like the well may be on cemetery owned growned but not actually in the burial area.

Looking on google and comparing to the Photos in the Sun it looks like the well may be on cemetery owned growned but not actually in the burial area.

Yes I think it's behind the cemetery. The breezeblock hut it's in might not have been there in 2005, but if Steve had wandered down the lane that far he might have stepped inside and fallen in I suppose. I just can't see that he'd have walked so far without realising he'd gone the wrong way. I'm saying all this like it's Steve, it could just be some random Greek man who vanished decades ago.

And yuck to drinking well water anywhere near graveyards!!

From experience I would say that it would be very possible that he just got lost and wondered off, I did the same in rhodes in the 90s after a bar crawl on my first night, you are tired after the flight and after many drinks you don't know ware your hotel is, I walked around for a couple of hours and couldn't even remember the hotel name then crashed out in a field until it got light then managed to find the hotel, club 18-30 holiday, to old now for that but been their done that'

I came across this site a couple of weeks ago when googling something about Corrie's case.

I remember some family saying they felt Steven was still alive.

I read about the sightings and thought it was strange that descriptions sounded positive, should've been easy enough to follow up on but then they couldn't find that person.

Sad, as all misper cases are of course but if there's resolution that'll be something.

Yes, the belt too. Probably more intact than clothing but not as easy to ID.

Hard to tell from the pictures how deep the water is and presumably lots of it had been drained out before they made the discovery. Also unclear whether it was a working well, though you'd think someone would have smelled (or tasted - eeeuwww!) something if it was still being used.

Have you read the sightings page on the family website? There have been several leads that have generated hope including on Rhodes.

http://www.findstevencook.co.uk/possible_sightings_of_Steven_Cook.htm

Hi everyone, a long-time viewer and first time poster here. I follow a lot of missing people cases and Steven's is one of them. I'm in Finland but Crete is one of my favorite places to travel to.

Can anyone confirm the actual distance between the well and the place where Steven was last seen.

Thank you!

Hi everyone, a long-time viewer and first time poster here. I follow a lot of missing people cases and Steven's is one of them. I'm in Finland but Crete is one of my favorite places to travel to.

Can anyone confirm the actual distance between the well and the place where Steven was last seen.

Thank you!
welcome poet, if you look at post 16 covermecagney has done a map link , it would be just over 1km the well from ware he was last seen,

Thank you, Scorpio1!

I wonder if this is the same house:
https://www.google.gr/maps/@35.2910...4!1slUSC0Z-ILFyIH8fJbj0qpw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As in this picture:
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/ad_235435500.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&strip=all

Hopefully his family gets some answers soon. My heart is breaking for them.

Yes I think so, that building is at the back of the cemetery.

I wonder if Steve made his way back to the other (wrong) end of the strip and turned right, the distance would be about the same as from the top of the strip to his hotel.

hopefully the DNA results will come soon as they are being done at the Heraklion University Hospital on Crete , I personally don't think it is Steven , partly because of the location of the well, if it is Steven then I would not think that it was misadventure,

We went to malia almost 6 years ago, staying in a hotel right next to steves one. I understand it was his first night, but im still not sure how he couldve gone the wrong way, the strips not that long really and the hotel turn off is pretty easily identifiable.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling it might be Steven. There are not many unsolved missing person cases in Crete. Of course it could be absolutely anyone, but the fact that they found a disposable camera refers to a tourist. But... it is a very weird place to end up. I'm not just talking about the well but the cemetery itself. I understand it was dark and Steven had been drinking, but still it doesn't add up.

By the way, I have never read an article saying that Steven was carrying a small camera with him. I've read that he left his cell phone in his room, but nothing about a possible camera. Why didn't they list that as a missing item? Maybe his friends were not aware of the camera, but that would have been valuable information for the people searching for him - in case he had dropped it somewhere. This is pretty pointless rambling now, but it gives some hope that maybe the remains are not Steven's after all.

Rest in peace, Steven.

[FONT=&quot]"The remains were removed from the site and taken to a nearby hospital for further forensic examination. Tests have been carried out and we have now received confirmation from the Greek authorities that the remains belong to Steven Cook, who went missing on 1st September 2005 during a holiday to the island.[/FONT]

Source: https://www.cheshire.police.uk/news...egarding-discovery-of-human-remains-in-crete/

Unfortunately some questions will most likely remain unanswered.

Sending my love to his family and friends.

Well, I thought I'd posted on this one previously but don't see my posts now.
Steve's case has been very close to home for me (I'm not family) and I've followed it since the beginning.

Not shocked by today's confirmation. Well done to the Greek authorities in getting the DNA tested and confirmed so quickly, must admit I thought it could take a while.

Thoughts are with Steve's family and friends.

RIP Steve :rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back