Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hand sanitizer continues to leave the store shelves very quickly. My sister-in-law cares for her special needs young adult. Due to the high rate of infection, she furloughed her home health nurses. She had to be creative and made her own sanitizer wipes and spray with a fifth of EverClear alcohol. It has the highest level of alcohol available. Super 1 carries the alcohol.

After reading your post, I began searching for EverClear, which I’d never heard of until your post. In Florida, the 151 proof is legal, which is 75.5% ethyl alcohol. The stronger 190 proof version isn’t available here. I found a local liquor store that had the 151 proof in stock, and I had 2 fifths delivered. I was using 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol to wipe things down, especially bags and grocery packages, but my bottle was getting close to empty. Now I’ll use undiluted EverClear... I see that there are people who drink it, but I’d probably make myself sick if I did. So, thanks for sharing your sister-in-law’s idea....

DH got an 8oz bottle of NEXT (70% ethyl alcohol) at Meijer last week. There was plenty available that day. We don't use it often but didn't want to run out. NEXT seems a lot thicker than Purell, so maybe we won't need to use as much. DH got a 5-pack bundle of Clorox wipes at Costco last month, and we still had two cannisters from a previous trip. This month, he got a gigantic jug of Windex with a piggy back spray bottle, so we have plenty of cleaning ammo.

I have found hand sanitizer but not wipes. Lowes Home Improvement had Germ-x a couple weeks ago (Limit 1). My local grocery store had a fancy looking brand of hand sanitizer I have never heard of. It was 7.99 for 8 oz :eek: I didn't need any, but the hand sanitizer seems to be out there more and more. I wish I could find some disinfecting wipes of any brand.

Idk if this site has been mentioned, but you go in and set alerts for things that come in stock. There are different stores that you can use for the alerts. I have actually scored Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer, peroxide and alcohol from Walmart, Amazon and Walgreens using this site and having the alerts sent through texts. I must warn that the items sell out fast, so you must be very quick to go to site, add item to cart and check out!

NowInStock.net Product Availability Tracker and In Stock Notification System

After reading your post, I began searching for EverClear, which I’d never heard of until your post. In Florida, the 151 proof is legal, which is 75.5% ethyl alcohol. The stronger 190 proof version isn’t available here. I found a local liquor store that had the 151 proof in stock, and I had 2 fifths delivered. I was using 70% isopropyl rubbing alcohol to wipe things down, especially bags and grocery packages, but my bottle was getting close to empty. Now I’ll use undiluted EverClear... I see that there are people who drink it, but I’d probably make myself sick if I did. So, thanks for sharing your sister-in-law’s idea....
Oh my. EverClear.
Brings back college memories.
(Trash Can Punch or Hunch Punch)

Discontinued- Barcadi 151 rum

We called it Jungle Juice.

I liked Lancer's Rose and might have had Boone's Farm, too :D Never could stand beer, and even now, I rarely have alcoholic beverages other than wine or Champagne. Cheers!

I opened up the NEXT hand sanitizer to check the consistency. It is definitely thicker than Purell - almost gelatinous like one of the stages of Jello.

I had planned to go to Salvaggio's with DH today, but I like to watch a couple of cooking shows on Saturday and didn't want to leave until 1:00. DH went and returned before Barefoot Contessa was over. A nice haul for the holiday weekend :)

WTH?! I am so frustrated with people at the store. They brush up against you to grab something. Is that six feet? I don't think so! Idiots. I think that I need to have a tutu made from swimming floats. 6 foot perimeter, on all sides.

well our favorite grocery store didn't have vegan margarine in stock so I ordered grocery pickup from Walmart - got the margarine but they were sold out of litter (originally ordered 3 boxes from Amazon & was supposed to be here today and didn't come), organic bananas and Mrs. Dash so now I have to make another grocery order for litter etc. from our favorite grocery store cause we need that litter! (7 cats)

my husband wasn't impressed with the guy who put our groceries in the trunk cause he came to the window with no mask on to confirm my husband's identity - my fault because I ordered under my name but paid with my husband's credit card but I've done it many times before & we never had an issue

also the clementines I got were awful and maybe one is edible out of the bag (this is why Walmart is NOT our preferred grocery store

lineups at every major store we passed today (Walmart, Cdn. Tire, Dollarama, TSC etc.) - not sure but some of them like Mark's Work Wearhouse weren't open so I guess they didn't make the cut for stage 1 of re-opening - people were social distancing but in all the lineups I saw, I only saw ONE mask! - out of hundreds of people!

the weather is beautiful so I get why people are out but honestly it just scared me seeing that many people with no masks - they seem to think it's over!

well our favorite grocery store didn't have vegan margarine in stock so I ordered grocery pickup from Walmart - got the margarine but they were sold out of litter (originally ordered 3 boxes from Amazon & was supposed to be here today and didn't come), organic bananas and Mrs. Dash so now I have to make another grocery order for litter etc. from our favorite grocery store cause we need that litter! (7 cats)

my husband wasn't impressed with the guy who put our groceries in the trunk cause he came to the window with no mask on to confirm my husband's identity - my fault because I ordered under my name but paid with my husband's credit card but I've done it many times before & we never had an issue

also the clementines I got were awful and maybe one is edible out of the bag (this is why Walmart is NOT our preferred grocery store

lineups at every major store we passed today (Walmart, Cdn. Tire, Dollarama, TSC etc.) - not sure but some of them like Mark's Work Wearhouse weren't open so I guess they didn't make the cut for stage 1 of re-opening - people were social distancing but in all the lineups I saw, I only saw ONE mask! - out of hundreds of people!

the weather is beautiful so I get why people are out but honestly it just scared me seeing that many people with no masks - they seem to think it's over!
I have to be desperate to buy produce at Walmart. They’re awful. My produce from my food handout today was 4 apples and a 1 bunch of asparagus. Both look old but I swear better than Walmart’s produce.

My regular produce pickup today was a lot more cucumbers than I could possibly eat! They must be in season. I’m also allergic to watermelon. My friends are taking one. Hopefully, my youngest will eat the other one. At least they’re small! Lots of corn on the cob and zucchini too.

What to do with excess cucumbers?
Here are some great cucumber recipes.
  1. Half Sour Fermented Pickles.
  2. Creamed Cucumbers (can also be blended and used as a delicious dressing!)
  3. Redbud and Cucumber Sandwiches.
  4. Cucumber and Onion Salad.
  5. Cucumber Lime Smoothie.
  6. Watermelon, Orange and Cucumber Aqua Fresca.
  7. Cucumber Cilantro Salad.
  8. Basil Cucumber Fruit Salad.
More items...

Sep 8, 2017

16 Ways to Use Excess Cucumbers from the Garden

Did a big shop tonight. About half the people wearing masks in Baytown TX. Lots of odd things not in stock, almond extract, my large reduced salt chicken stock, snack ums pickles.. they were only limiting ground beef purchases which seemed a bit silly because the stew meat wasn’t limited. I usually buy stew meat, semi freeze it, run it through the food processor until ground, add some butter, seasoning salt, pepper and garlic and grill that for burgers. It makes a way better burger. For non grilled hamburger I just run it through the food processor with out all the extras. Makes for a very lean ground beef. For example I made taco bake this week and instead of buying hamburger meat, I ground up the stew meat for a couple of seconds in the food processor. Semi frozen works best, takes less than 10 seconds per batch, don’t overload it.

I discovered I could do this watching cooking shows during physical therapy about 6 months ago. They used all these different cuts, stew meat is easy.

I have to be desperate to buy produce at Walmart. They’re awful. My produce from my food handout today was 4 apples and a 1 bunch of asparagus. Both look old but I swear better than Walmart’s produce.

better than my clementines!

What to do with excess cucumbers?
Here are some great cucumber recipes.
  1. Half Sour Fermented Pickles.
  2. Creamed Cucumbers (can also be blended and used as a delicious dressing!)
  3. Redbud and Cucumber Sandwiches.
  4. Cucumber and Onion Salad.
  5. Cucumber Lime Smoothie.
  6. Watermelon, Orange and Cucumber Aqua Fresca.
  7. Cucumber Cilantro Salad.
  8. Basil Cucumber Fruit Salad.
More items...

Sep 8, 2017

16 Ways to Use Excess Cucumbers from the Garden

cucumber and cream cheese sandwiches on rye!
(I use vegan cream cheeze)
sooo good

I just realized this is the thread I should have posted my shopping expedition. Well, now it’s in both. LOL!

Shopping update SWFL:

1st stop was our local Mennonite family grocery store called Detwilers. I love this place. It is impossible to stay 6’ from anyone so I was quick. The carts were sanitized for you. The produce section was plentiful. I got tomatoes and beets. The deli, the fish counter, the meat counters all stocked with great pricing. I didn’t notice any limit signs but I wasn’t looking either. About 50% of the people were masked. I was the only one wearing a glove. I keep my list in my left hand and my gloved hand selects items.

Got in my vehicle and slathered hand sanitizer all over my left hand and the gloved hand, steering wheel, key fob, etc.

2nd stop was Publix. More people wearing masks. Again, I was the only one with a glove. I kept forgetting about the directional arrows on the floor. It wasn’t overly busy tho. I also wasn’t the only one not following the arrows 100%.

I was in the frozen section and the flower clerk saw me going the wrong way. She said something to the effect I was going the wrong direction. I couldn’t quite make out what she said because she was too far away. I was stopping further away to select an item. When I left the aisle I did go the right direction, mainly because I needed to go that way.

The paper aisle had limits. I was able to get my favorite Brawny Pic A Size paper towels. I was also able to get quart size baggies. There were very few choices for TP and tissues but at least there was some on the shelf. I did not see any limits on water. I got 2 cases of water bottles. That will last us a long time unless there is a hurricane. I got a bigger bag of charcoal than I would normally get. It is tax free hurricane prep days thus, I spent more than I normally would.

I get the point of the directional arrows. I admit I struggle with that. The rub is, shopping is exhausting for me. If I am forced to walk circles over and over, I will have to use a ride on cart. By the time I checked out, I really wanted the bagger to take my cart and load my truck. I didn’t dare ask because then he would breathe in my vicinity longer.

I am too tired and nauseous to put everything away. So its sitting all over the kitchen and garage. My kid will do it. I washed up and I’m sipping a soda. I may need a nap already.

Are you still noticing shortages of the food and/or other items you normally purchase? Most of what we've needed/wanted has been available at either Meijer or Salvaggio's, but there are still some items that are in short supply.

For the first time in several weeks, Nino Salvaggio's is offering meats on their weekly specials. Mostly chicken and ribs, both of which are popular during the summer months. Eggs are now plentiful but prices are higher than before the pandemic. We still can't find I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (lite) but are OK with Smart Balance for now. We're low on Lysol spray that hasn't been available at Meijer since the start of the pandemic. Maybe we can score a bundle pack on our June trip to Costco.

Are you still noticing shortages of the food and/or other items you normally purchase? Most of what we've needed/wanted has been available at either Meijer or Salvaggio's, but there are still some items that are in short supply.

For the first time in several weeks, Nino Salvaggio's is offering meats on their weekly specials. Mostly chicken and ribs, both of which are popular during the summer months. Eggs are now plentiful but prices are higher than before the pandemic. We still can't find I Can't Believe It's Not Butter (lite) but are OK with Smart Balance for now. We're low on Lysol spray that hasn't been available at Meijer since the start of the pandemic. Maybe we can score a bundle pack on our June trip to Costco.
I haven’t seen TP at Publix or Aldi my last 4 trips - the meat shortage hasn’t happened other than a few types that I haven’t found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes