Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may not feel like it, but Easter is just around the corner.

What the pandemic means for your Easter food shopping

I already bought an Easter ham, and eggs. The kids won't be here, but maybe we can do some "virtual" partying.

It is important to me, to keep everything as "normal" as possible for my husband. His eyes lit up when I told him I had a spiral ham in the fridge for Easter.

In the Eastern Orthodox Christian church, Easter is especially sacred, and the entire congregation celebrates a full mass together, with huge Easter celebration, to break the fasting of Lent. He loves the party, and the food. He is definitely going to miss that this year.

I seemingly survived my outings with little to no issues and shouldn’t have to go back “out” for at least 2 more weeks if I want fresh food again.
Farrier was interesting but kept our spaces and there was no coughing or sneezing and I mainly talk to his *advertiser censored* as he’s bent over trimming hooves.

grocery store one had a line outside around the front of the building, limiting access and sanitizing carts before you went into store. Did a slow drive by. People were in line with carts prior to sanitization so I’m not quite sure how they thought that was working. Armed guard at entrance. This is the big store, swung by after picking up our amazing takeout from my favorite small restaurant. Opted to wait and go to small store with understanding they may not have much.

Small store was its usual Sat afternoon quiet. They even had individual wrapped toilet paper rolls for sale. You could only buy 2 but at least it’s something. I didn’t need any. Meat selection was fine, none of the kielbasa I buy for sauerkraut soup and the frozen veggies were pretty much gone but they seemed to have everything else. I bought enough for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next two weeks supplemented with the pantry. Brought some chlorox wipes with me in zip lock bag so I was able to wipe down cart and hold it when I opened doors and such. Wiped down cc machine before I used it and wiped down my card.
Only troubling thing was a small child with her finger so far up her nose I couldn’t see it, hanging out in the produce section. Her dad was oblivious and on the phone. I didn’t see her touch anything but gross. No coughing or sneezing that I noticed anywhere. Baggers wore gloves. DH waited in car.

have to get gas tomorrow and will follow my one glove protocol before heading into work quick. Swinging by a friend to drop off duck eggs, will leave them on his porch. My girls are laying like crazy and no one wants to buy them so I give them to a friend who gives them away to church members. I easily have 36 dozen eggs to give away. Even giving away some goose eggs. Going to keep a few but I cant eat all that we have.
If you’re wanting to save your gloves, you can use plastic grocery bags. I always keep a stash in the door pouch.

I'm trying to place my first instacart order and it just says delivery unavailable. What does that mean? Someone mentioned instacart people were going to go on strike. Is the company just not taking orders?

I have heard people mention on here about time slots. I don't see anything like that. What should I be doing? Just going with shipt instead? Shipt apparently doesn't shop Aldi in this area which is what I was hoping for.

I already bought an Easter ham, and eggs. The kids won't be here, but maybe we can do some "virtual" partying.

It is important to me, to keep everything as "normal" as possible for my husband. His eyes lit up when I told him I had a spiral ham in the fridge for Easter.

In the Eastern Orthodox Christian church, Easter is especially sacred, and the entire congregation celebrates a full mass together, with huge Easter celebration, to break the fasting of Lent. He loves the party, and the food. He is definitely going to miss that this year.

We're Orthodox and going to miss it as well. I know some other families are going to do processions around their homes since they can't do one around the church.

I also bought a ham and plan to make traditional Pascha bread and Pascha cheese. Dh grabbed some candy for the kids a couple of weeks ago. I also bought some really pretty egg wraps and plan to boil and decorate eggs that way. It's going to be really weird missing Pascha liturgy!

My Instacart delivery today included items I didn't order... 3 cans of cat food, 1 pkg of construction paper, 2 bananas, 1 onion, diet coke and caffeine pills. The employees must be overworked or something... first time this has happened. One sleepy, semi-artistic cat owner must be wondering what happened to his order. :confused:

I bought two lbs of yeast because it was the only size left on amazon from one random seller. I was thankful it arrived. We are baking non stop around here. I also bought wheat and pulled out our old grain mill I hadn't used in a few years. So we are grinding wheat fresh and making homemade bread every week.

The kids and dh have really gotten into it with homemade pie crusts, biscuits, muffins, cookies, cinnamon rolls, Irish soda bread, regular yeast loaves and cinnamon and raisin bread. Then there is pancakes of course!

It was one of the cheapest and healthiest ways I could find to fill up for a bunch of kids. Everyone loves the constant homemade bread stuff. I'm glad to be getting back into it and I don't have to worry about being able to get enough bread for the kids or needing to make any trips to the store for it.

For those of you facing shortages, can you post your locations? Is it because you are located in less populated areas?
West Houston, Texas has sporadic empty shelf syndrome but for the most part, everything is available. I wonder how we can shift our stocks to those of you who need things. Anyone have any thoughts on moving extras around?
I am in Pinellas County Florida, and we have shortages. I have been ordering from a couple of different stores, and have trouble finding many items. Luckily, I did stock up because of the warnings on this site and am OK. I just like to make sure I have the items that my mom, and son need. There is no TP, and meat is limited around here.

I bought two lbs of yeast because it was the only size left on amazon from one random seller. I was thankful it arrived. We are baking non stop around here. I also bought wheat and pulled out our old grain mill I hadn't used in a few years. So we are grinding wheat fresh and making homemade bread every week.

The kids and dh have really gotten into it with homemade pie crusts, biscuits, muffins, cookies, cinnamon rolls, Irish soda bread, regular yeast loaves and cinnamon and raisin bread. Then there is pancakes of course!

It was one of the cheapest and healthiest ways I could find to fill up for a bunch of kids. Everyone loves the constant homemade bread stuff. I'm glad to be getting back into it and I don't have to worry about being able to get enough bread for the kids or needing to make any trips to the store for it.

Love, love, love this!

Just want to let you know that the chemicals in those scented candles are not good for your lungs. Please google the negative health effects before buying.

I'm in Ontario, its still cold and rainy but I open the windows for 10 minutes or so, try to get a cross breeze to get rid of the 'staleness'.

Stay healthy, stay safe.

Source? I didn’t find any scientific studies after looking through a few pages on google. Seems overboard. Jmo

My Instacart delivery today included items I didn't order... 3 cans of cat food, 1 pkg of construction paper, 2 bananas, 1 onion, diet coke and caffeine pills. The employees must be overworked or something... first time this has happened. One sleepy, semi-artistic cat owner must be wondering what happened to his order. :confused:

none of the stores in my area of Long Island have available delivery slots for weeks, and order pickup isn’t an option either. But, I’ve been to a local supermarket and target recently, and they both had everything except TP. Plenty of meat, chicken, soap, etc. I feel like physically going to the store is the best way to get the things you want and need (as long as it’s safe for you to do so).

The New Rules of Grocery Shopping Under Quarantine - Sunset Magazine

“The New Shopping Rules

Don’t Go
Seriously. This is the most important rule you can heed. Do you really need baking powder for those biscuits? Consult our list of substitutions. (Spoiler: Baking soda and cream of tartar will work instead.) Ask yourself: Is this just a quick run for supplies? Or a mega-run to prevent you from having to go again for two weeks (or more)? There should be no more quick runs. Every time you come to a central gathering place you are at risk of contracting or spreading the virus, no matter how careful you might be.”

I seemingly survived my outings with little to no issues and shouldn’t have to go back “out” for at least 2 more weeks if I want fresh food again.
Farrier was interesting but kept our spaces and there was no coughing or sneezing and I mainly talk to his *advertiser censored* as he’s bent over trimming hooves.

grocery store one had a line outside around the front of the building, limiting access and sanitizing carts before you went into store. Did a slow drive by. People were in line with carts prior to sanitization so I’m not quite sure how they thought that was working. Armed guard at entrance. This is the big store, swung by after picking up our amazing takeout from my favorite small restaurant. Opted to wait and go to small store with understanding they may not have much.

Small store was its usual Sat afternoon quiet. They even had individual wrapped toilet paper rolls for sale. You could only buy 2 but at least it’s something. I didn’t need any. Meat selection was fine, none of the kielbasa I buy for sauerkraut soup and the frozen veggies were pretty much gone but they seemed to have everything else. I bought enough for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next two weeks supplemented with the pantry. Brought some chlorox wipes with me in zip lock bag so I was able to wipe down cart and hold it when I opened doors and such. Wiped down cc machine before I used it and wiped down my card.
Only troubling thing was a small child with her finger so far up her nose I couldn’t see it, hanging out in the produce section. Her dad was oblivious and on the phone. I didn’t see her touch anything but gross. No coughing or sneezing that I noticed anywhere. Baggers wore gloves. DH waited in car.

have to get gas tomorrow and will follow my one glove protocol before heading into work quick. Swinging by a friend to drop off duck eggs, will leave them on his porch. My girls are laying like crazy and no one wants to buy them so I give them to a friend who gives them away to church members. I easily have 36 dozen eggs to give away. Even giving away some goose eggs. Going to keep a few but I cant eat all that we have.
If you’re wanting to save your gloves, you can use plastic grocery bags. I always keep a stash in the door pouch.
DH and I were discussing our ongoing grocery list and he asked about "candle" that I added a couple of days ago. It's still quite chilly here in metro Detroit and too early to open windows for some fresh air. I feel like the house is getting "stale" and could use a soft scent to freshen it up a little. Can't do potpourri or anything strong due to allergies, but I think a candle with a light scent like vanilla, lemon, or lavender might be nice. Salvaggio's has a seasonal floral and gift department with a nice selection of candles. DH plans to do a shopping power-hour on Tuesday morning.
Can you do essential oils? I have sinus allergies and can easily tolerate mild scents like lemon, orange, vanilla, and lavender. I like that it easy to control the strength of the oil.

Try online order to pick up at Walmart ? Or Kleenex is better than the alternative overstock.com was mentioned somewhere this weekend and dollar store if you have one near you . Be well !!
They recommend that you don’t flush Kleenex because over time it can clog sewers.

The New Rules of Grocery Shopping Under Quarantine - Sunset Magazine

“The New Shopping Rules

Don’t Go
Seriously. This is the most important rule you can heed. Do you really need baking powder for those biscuits? Consult our list of substitutions. (Spoiler: Baking soda and cream of tartar will work instead.) Ask yourself: Is this just a quick run for supplies? Or a mega-run to prevent you from having to go again for two weeks (or more)? There should be no more quick runs. Every time you come to a central gathering place you are at risk of contracting or spreading the virus, no matter how careful you might be.”

if I don’t have baking powder, I DEF don’t have cream of tartar to substitute :D Jokes aside, I totally agree and am trying to limit my shopping trips and use what I have in the house. I organized my freezer today purposely to see what I’m working with. My only concern is risking running too low on food and supplies and then there’s shortages, rationing, or something like that. I know it’s just paranoia, but I wouldn’t be surprised if other feel the same way.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member