Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What About the Ears???

I have yet to hear a medical scientist address the EARS in any of their daily press briefings. Aren't the ears, nose, and throat connected? When people pass by you, you can easily feel and smell the breeze of their cologne, perfume, aftershave, or menthol lozenge that they just popped into their mouths. Any soft or strong wind can blow on exposed skin and into your ears on your way back through the parking lot to your vehicle. Anybody could've coughed or sneezed, suddenly and unexpectedly, and you just happen to be in the right path to receive the mist.

If I HAVE to take a trip anywhere--and most especially to the grocery store--I have started to stick a pinch of dry cotton ball into each ear, before I go outside. The small amount of cotton needed will be so lightweight, you won't even feel it. It will not interfere with your hearing. And, more importantly, it will act as a filter, and provide added protection from the coronavirus that seems to be floating aound, looking to attach itself to some place or someone. At least it would help to give you peace of mind.

I had recently heard that males were getting the Covid-19 more than females. Even with all the different hairdos we have nowadays, I think it's still safe to say that the majority of men keep their hair short--exposing their ears to the elements. Older ladies have a tendency to keep their locks short, too. And anybody that wears a ponytail or a bunhead would have to worry about exposing their ears, as well.

Anyway. This is what happens to me when I can't sleep, and as I wonder why this virus is working so fast. A pinch of cotton in each ear may help. Most healthcare I see on the news aren't covering their ears. Some have bonnets, but do they stay in place? I hate to hear that a helper did all the right things, yet they fell to the virus.

But were their ears plugged?

For those looking for toilet paper, I MIRACULOUSLY found Toilet paper, paper towels and napkins at 7/11 last Thursday morning. I was at the store when they opened at 6 am. It was all gone by about 6:30 though.

If you have a 7/11 nearby, check them at the time they open, and see if you have any luck.

They only had 4/roll packs. They were 3.99 each. I bought 3, which meant 12 rolls for 12 bucks. Not bad.

I bought one napkin pack and one roll of paper towels.

It’s interesting about flour. That and cereal are the shortages around here now ( mid Atlantic area). Tp is hard to find and cleaners, of course, and some meats.

any idea about the panic run on flour? I bake all the time, so I have 10-15 pounds on a normal basis and I don’t need it yet, but is everyone going to start cooking from scratch? I saw cake, various dessert and pancake mix in stock and tons of already made bread, as well as the whack ‘em tubes, so no shortage of those.

weird.
I wondered about the rush to buy flour too. I bake often so I buy flour in ten pound bags so I had plenty in my pantry. But everyone is complaining that all types of flour are sold out, at all the stores. Yeast, too.

Has everyone started baking their own bread?

I think a lot of people are using this time at home to experiment with cooking and baking. I love to cook but often find myself too exhausted after work to put a lot of effort into cooking, so now that I’m home and stir crazy, I’ve been cooking a lot. A lot of people seem to be doing the same, and with baking too.

also remember that a few weeks ago, people panicked and thought the entire country was going to be shut down, so they stocked up on staples and necessities.

I think a lot of people are using this time at home to experiment with cooking and baking. I love to cook but often find myself too exhausted after work to put a lot of effort into cooking, so now that I’m home and stir crazy, I’ve been cooking a lot. A lot of people seem to be doing the same, and with baking too.

also remember that a few weeks ago, people panicked and thought the entire country was going to be shut down, so they stocked up on staples and necessities.
I also have flour and yeast on hand - but noticed the past few weeks there is no flour no pasta and no yeast at most stores / I did find some yeast and bought extra in case someone in my group needs it - really surprising to me that these two items are in short supply
JMO

The stores I've been too lately never have bags of flour but for some reason people forget to look at the boxes of cake flour. I have grabbed a couple of those and always see more. Maybe they think it's cake mix.

I also have flour and yeast on hand - but noticed the past few weeks there is no flour no pasta and no yeast at most stores / I did find some yeast and bought extra in case someone in my group needs it - really surprising to me that these two items are in short supply
JMO

I’m not that surprised. People are still anxious and fearing the unknown. We don’t know if there could be strict lockdowns in the future, so people are stocking up in case they have to make their own bread and the like. It’s panic buying. I haven’t been able to get frozen veggies or bread crumbs either. Shrug

Well, Campbells responded to my inquiry about buying from them directly. Maybe my local Gordon’s Food Service will set aside some V8 for me when it’s restocked.

“Although we do not sell directly to consumers, many of our products are often available through online retailers.

In addition, you may be able to purchase our products in bulk from any store that normally carries our products. We suggest that you contact your local store manager for more information.”

Well, Campbells responded to my inquiry about buying from them directly. Maybe my local Gordon’s Food Service will set aside some V8 for me when it’s restocked.

“Although we do not sell directly to consumers, many of our products are often available through online retailers.

In addition, you may be able to purchase our products in bulk from any store that normally carries our products. We suggest that you contact your local store manager for more information.”

Have you tried ordering from Amazon? They seem to have it in stock: Amazon.com: v8 juice

Have you tried ordering from Amazon? They seem to have it in stock: Amazon.com: v8 juice
The flavor I can drink is the V8 Strawberry Banana (Fusion, not Energy). It doesn’t have any fruit in it that I’m allergic to. I found some that’s outrageously priced. I normally pay $18/case and online, it was over $26 + shipping. Ridiculousness.

The flavor I can drink is the V8 Strawberry Banana (Fusion, not Energy). It doesn’t have any fruit in it that I’m allergic to. I found some that’s outrageously priced. I normally pay $18/case and online, it was over $26 + shipping. Ridiculousness.

Sorry, I thought you wanted the original tomato juice. Is it this one you buy: https://www.amazon.com/V8-Strawberr...ells+strawberry+banana&qid=1586197424&sr=8-20
That does seem rather high. Have you considered checking other brands for a similar juice? A lot of times store brands are the same ingredients as the name brand. But I understand having food allergies and how it's hard to take a risk once you find a brand you know you don't react to. I hope your local stores get some back in stock soon.

Here’s another option. They come out to be cheaper per fl oz than the last 12 oz bottles

V8 Strawberry Banana, 8 oz. Can (4 packs of 6, Total of 24) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P7ZO0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wJ3IEbDFZQW11
Yes this is the size I normally buy. There’s days I can’t even finish one little can because of the nausea. They didn’t have any when I looked earlier today. I’m going to hop on now and see if I can get a case shipped. Thank you!!!!

Here’s another option. They come out to be cheaper per fl oz than the last 12 oz bottles

V8 Strawberry Banana, 8 oz. Can (4 packs of 6, Total of 24) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P7ZO0G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_wJ3IEbDFZQW11
@Gardener1850 This was my 2nd choice only because the bottle is so big and it is more expensive. I am on my laptop and I type in the description and it doesn't bring it up. But when I click on your link and the one @bears10 provided, it goes right to them! That is so odd. Anyway, I just used the link and was able to get some for April 11th. Thank you both so very much!!!

The stores I've been too lately never have bags of flour but for some reason people forget to look at the boxes of cake flour. I have grabbed a couple of those and always see more. Maybe they think it's cake mix.
There's normally not a big demand for gluten free flour so I didn't have any trouble finding any when I picked up a bag a month ago. Now, however, my kid ordered it online. It wasn't supposed to be here until April 20th. It arrived today, less than a week after she ordered it.

Just for information: for us ladies who color their hair, it is right next to toilet paper as far as availability. I even checked on line and a lot of it is unavailable.

One last post about my trip to the store. When I was in the produce section there was a young man stocking the potatoes and he was coughing all over them and not covering his mouth. OMG! :eek: I quickly decided not to get potatoes and moved out of the produce section as fast as I could. As I pushed my cart away from the coughing employee I wondered if I was overreacting. Maybe I should go back and get some potatoes? Then I noticed the song that was playing on the store speakers. It was "Stayin' Alive":

I laughed. Ironic but appropriate timing. I kept moving and got my shopping done as quickly as I could. And from now on anytime I wonder if what I'm doing is too much, I'll be singing "Stayin Alive" to myself. LOL. :cool::D

just got back from grocery trip - mods: I thought we had a grocery tips etc. thread but can't find it - if this is in the wrong thread, sorry
all the usual stuff is sold out but we did snag some toilet paper
I'm worried though cause we're running out of lysol wipes and hand sanitizer
like how long does it take to make these items - it seems like they've been sold out forever
no vitamin C anywhere
Walmart doing the one out/one in and had a lineup - all customers in line looked like they were social distancing
we left and went to Metro - no line up there
Shoppers Drug Mart had two self-checkouts if you were playing with plastic and one for cash only
Copying the post here from the main thread
@LadyL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members