GUILTY - Sidney Moorer RETRIAL for Kidnapping Heather Elvis, 9 Sept 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I've never given much thought to her Disney obsession. Anyone want to take a stab at "why"?

Well, my friend who used to date a him-proclaimed Disney obsessive, has the theory that the women in that category are all happy-ever-after enthusiasts who believe wholeheartedly in Prince Charming.

Me: "You do realize you've just described the majority of females under 18 in the developed world breathing air, whose obsession with Disney themes generally don't end until life whomps it out of them, don't you?" (My guess: He probably didn't.) The GF was, at the time, aged 23, so a little late in the disillusionment; but nothing particularly bizarre to me, a girl through and through. He, conversely, was all naive "She really believes in all that stuff." She'd also been chosen to intern there for a summer one year in her past, which did not help, haha. Sorry this isn't more in-depth or surprising as a theory either!

Right so much for his claims of never getting a fair trial in Horry County. Think he was actually given an advantage most do not have. This would be a good question for @gitana1. Tho I have a feeling I know the answer to that. Moo

What is he exactly letting the dept. or corrections decide? Parole?

What is he exactly letting the dept. or corrections decide? Parole?

The judge said that Corrections could figure out the amount of time he'd serve but he was giving him 30 years. The DOC gave him 3 years credit due to his Obstruction sentence he was serving already.

Also left it to Dept of Corrections to decide if his current 10 year sentence for OoJ would run concurrently with the 30 year sentence for kidnapping that was just imposed—apparently yes. Could the judge not have added the 30 yr sentence consecutive to the 10 yr sentence if he had so chosen?

Also left it to Dept of Corrections to decide if his current 10 year sentence for OoJ would run concurrently with the 30 year sentence for kidnapping that was just imposed—apparently yes. Could the judge not have added the 30 yr sentence consecutive to the 10 yr sentence if he had so chosen?

I have to wonder if the DoC would rather have him sprung at 70 than to have to take care of him as he ages. By 70, I can't imagine that he would be able to work as a handyman. His kids will want to take care of him I am sure.

The judge said that Corrections could figure out the amount of time he'd serve but he was giving him 30 years. The DOC gave him 3 years credit due to his Obstruction sentence he was serving already.

Got it. I've ne we heard a judge say those words but the reality is he parole board is the one who ultimately usually decides.

You know I've never given much thought to her Disney obsession. Anyone want to take a stab at "why"?

My guess is that maybe she was enamored with Disney from her childhood. (As most of all of the little girls on the planet are nowadays...)
Maybe it was a life goal that she wanted to be good, pure, and wait for her Prince Charming.
Instead, she takes the wrong path and ends up as a groupie.
Who knows, after she got with SM and they started having children, the “Disney Dream” resurfaced, and the obsession with it and pretending at all costs to have a picture perfect life became paramount. Almost as an atonement, you would say. Her way of making up for her groupie past....
While most of us have a belief system, she didn’t. Instead of going to Confession, she dives headfirst into Disney, thinking it will eradicate her past. Instead of going to church and “straightening up and flying right,” she fervently builds her façade on the Disboards and in her home.
Anyhoo, hope this makes sense, just my take from my little corner of the world. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Didn't I understand he was never going to be given parole?
No parole on the 30 year sentence correct but he was up for parole on the 10 year OOJ sentence in November. So I think what @gitana1 was saying is that the parole board should have been the ones to decide if he had to carry out the remainder of his OOJ sentence.

I have to wonder if the DoC would rather have him sprung at 70 than to have to take care of him as he ages. By 70, I can't imagine that he would be able to work as a handyman. His kids will want to take care of him I am sure.
70 is not that old. A lot one can still do at 70. Our President is 73.
SM and TM are both dangerous people and my opinion is they should never be let back into society. I for one would never want myself or my children to be anywhere near them even at 70. Moo

SM and TM are both dangerous people and my opinion is they should never be let back into society. I for one would never want myself or my children to be anywhere near them even at 70. Moo

Yeah, look at TM's daddy--he was well past 70, wasn't he? And by all accounts, the TM apple didn't fall far from the tree.

IIRC, SM got a job at Disney (a cook @Epcot) while he was out on bond. That was the excuse used to get permission to move the family from MB to FL. It made me question the integrity of Disney hiring/background checks. He had pending murder charges.

I was just conjecturing. However, there is a difference between people who take care of themselves, have had access to healthy food, and good/great/preventative medical care. People who live for 25-30 years in prison are generally not in the greatest of shape. The food is not necessarily great. The medical care is often based on present need rather than preventative. SM is not a highly educated man with means to keep himself in great shape---we can see the physical aging of him just in the 5+ years after he disappeared Heather. He went from fairly trim to stocky. His dental health has suffered. I don't think he will be the healthiest on release.

There are numerous articles on health related studies in prison populations based on demographics and studies as the boomer population ages in prison. The costs of caring for a geriatric population in prison will break any conservative budget from what I have read. South Carolina in particular is grappling with this issue (https://www.thestate.com/news/polit...s-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article13878005.html)

Do You Age Faster in Prison? and Older adults in jail: high rates and early onset of geriatric conditions and https://psmag.com/economics/the-elderly-prisoner-population-is-soaring-and-so-are-its-costs

I don't want them in society and would NOT want to be their neighbor either.

Last edited:
IIRC, SM got a job at Disney (a cook @Epcot) while he was out on bond. That was the excuse used to get permission to move the family from MB to FL. It made me question the integrity of Disney hiring/background checks. He had pending murder charges.
I did not realize the work was at Disney. In the link below it states Tammy had found work in Florida.
Then later it says she was going for interviews.
TM work? Pfffft.....
Bet they got there and Sid was the only one working....

I was just conjecturing. However, there is a difference between people who take care of themselves, have had access to healthy food, and good/great/preventative medical care. People who live for 25-30 years in prison are generally not in the greatest of shape. The food is not necessarily great. The medical care is often based on present need rather than preventative. SM is not a highly educated man with means to keep himself in great shape---we can see the physical aging of him just in the 5+ years after he disappeared Heather. He went from fairly trim to stocky. His dental health has suffered. I don't think he will be the healthiest on release.

There are numerous articles on health related studies in prison populations based on demographics and studies as the boomer population ages in prison. The costs of caring for a geriatric population in prison will break any conservative budget from what I have read. South Carolina in particular is grappling with this issue (https://www.thestate.com/news/polit...s-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article13878005.html)

Do You Age Faster in Prison? and Older adults in jail: high rates and early onset of geriatric conditions and https://psmag.com/economics/the-elderly-prisoner-population-is-soaring-and-so-are-its-costs

I don't want them in society and would NOT want to be their neighbor either.
Ya sorry didn’t mean for that to sound like I was disputing u. Was just not agreeing with that as a reason to take 10 years off someone’s sentencing who otherwise deserves to spend the entire 67 years and remainder of his life there. Now if they can manage to shorten his life span to say 69 i’m All for it:)

Looks like even the media is questioning this release date.

...is projected to be released from jail on Jan. 22, 2046, according to information from the South Carolina Department of Corrections.

Moorer, 43, would be 70 years old at the time of his release. SCDC records state he is currently not eligible for parole or supervised furlough. It was not immediately known if he would receive credit for time served on a 10-year sentence for obstruction of justice.

SCDC: Sidney Moorer’s projected release date is January 2046

But would those pending murder charges have been on his record? He hadn't been convicted in a court of law, and even though we all know he's guilty, the 6th Amendment affords him presumption of innocence. Putting that charge on his record without a conviction would violate that presumption of innocence ("innocent until proven guilty"). JMO.

My guess is that maybe she was enamored with Disney from her childhood. (As most of all of the little girls on the planet are nowadays...)
Maybe it was a life goal that she wanted to be good, pure, and wait for her Prince Charming.
Instead, she takes the wrong path and ends up as a groupie.
Who knows, after she got with SM and they started having children, the “Disney Dream” resurfaced, and the obsession with it and pretending at all costs to have a picture perfect life became paramount. Almost as an atonement, you would say. Her way of making up for her groupie past....
While most of us have a belief system, she didn’t. Instead of going to Confession, she dives headfirst into Disney, thinking it will eradicate her past. Instead of going to church and “straightening up and flying right,” she fervently builds her façade on the Disboards and in her home.
Anyhoo, hope this makes sense, just my take from my little corner of the world. Anyone else have any thoughts?

The facade of a perfect life makes sense, thank you. I guess it gave her an alternate reality to dive headlong into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard