Gwyneth Paltrow- Smarter & More Civilized than Americans

Gwyneth backpedals....

• Gwyneth Paltrow: I didn't disparage America
LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Oscar-winning actress Gwyneth Paltrow insisted Monday that contrary to a recent article in a European newspaper, she feels "proud to be American" and would never compare her homeland unfavorably to Britain.

In a statement issued through People magazine's Web site, Paltrow said she was "deeply upset" by remarks attributed to her by the Portuguese newspaper Diario de Noticias, which quoted the actress as saying: "The British are much more intelligent and civilized than the Americans."

"I never, ever would have said that," said Paltrow, 34, who is married to British rock star Chris Martin, the lead singer of Coldplay, and resides part time with him and their two children in London.

"I feel so lucky to be American," she said. "I feel so proud to be American."

More at link:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/12/05/people.paltrow.reut/index.html

ahh yes--The "civilized" British, who actually hanged children in the 1600's and 1700's for certain crimes----ahh yes--The "civilized" British who did nothing while 900,000 Irish men, women, and children starved to death in the 1840's--ahh yes

Peter Hamilton said:
ahh yes--The "civilized" British, who actually hanged children in the 1600's and 1700's for certain crimes----ahh yes--The "civilized" British who did nothing while 900,000 Irish men, women, and children starved to death in the 1840's--ahh yes
Yawn.

War is America's way of learning geography :D

Ah ah, so this is where this country is! quick- let's invade it or better still let's bomb it!

Peter, why do you dislike the Brits so much or did her comment just make you mad? I don't get it.

2sisters said:
Peter, why do you dislike the Brits so much or did her comment just make you mad? I don't get it.

I was wondering that, too. Was any country really 'civilized' way back in the 1600's???

You start listing the 'uncivilized' things that happened hundreds of years ago and you are going to be busy for quite some time!

Brefie said:
I was wondering that, too. Was any country really 'civilized' way back in the 1600's???

You start listing the 'uncivilized' things that happened hundreds of years ago and you are going to be busy for quite some time!

Er, yes. :silenced: :silenced: :silenced:

Brefie said:

Let's not start a list about uncivilzed things countries do, especially considering the things we did in the days of slavery for example. Or more recently Abu Graib.We can be here all day discussing slavery, the holocaust, genocide, suicide bombers, forced prostitution, the "baby bombs" in Vietnam...

2sisters said:
Let's not start a list about uncivilzed things countries do, especially considering the things we did in the days of slavery for example. Or more recently Abu Graib.We can be here all day discussing slavery, the holocaust, genocide, suicide bombers, forced prostitution, the "baby bombs" in Vietnam...
Terrible things.

michelle said:
Terrible things.

Which points out that we have alot worse things, and alot worse people to worry about in our world than Gwynneth Paltrow. :eek:

Marthatex said:
Which points out that we have alot worse things, and alot worse people to worry about in our world than Gwynneth Paltrow. :eek:
We do have worse people to worry about, but thankfully we don't have to dwell on them 24/7. People like to read and post on threads such as this one for a reprieve from doom and gloom.

IdahoMom said:
We do have worse people to worry about, but thankfully we don't have to dwell on them 24/7. People like to read and post on threads such as this one for a reprieve from doom and gloom.

Just making a little point. What really makes "bad" or totally obnoxious public figure?

I personally would rather bash those truly "worthy" of being bashed, such as that little tart, Britney. Or the drunk as a skunk Lindsay, who obviously doesn't appreciate at all what's been put right in her lap.

Gwynneth is busy backpedlling and apoligizing; at least she cares; and I accept her explanation.

Marthatex said:
Just making a little point. What really makes "bad" or totally obnoxious public figure?

I personally would rather bash those truly "worthy" of being bashed, such as that little tart, Britney. Or the drunk as a skunk Lindsay, who obviously doesn't appreciate at all what's been put right in her lap.

Gwynneth is busy backpedlling and apoligizing; at least she cares; and I accept her explanation.
I think that what makes a person "bad" or "totally obnoxious" would depend on who you talk to. I actually feel sorry for Britney and Lindsay to a degree. Their actions are crummy, crummy but I see a couple of scared girls underneath it all. The stuff they do is bad and obnoxious, but I remember both of them being pretty sweet girls not too long ago.

IdahoMom said:
I think that what makes a person "bad" or "totally obnoxious" would depend on who you talk to. I actually feel sorry for Britney and Lindsay to a degree. Their actions are crummy, crummy but I see a couple of scared girls underneath it all.

I feel sorry for Gwynneth also, as her father just passed away; and so did mine so I know how she feels.

Merry Christmas!

Marthatex said:
I feel sorry for Gwynneth also, as her father just passed away; and so did mine so I know how she feels.

Merry Christmas!
Yes, that was really sad. It was obvious how much she loved him. I can't believe it's been 4 years already. I thought it was especially sweet that he spent the time with her in Italy before he died.

Merry Christmas to you, too! :p

I agree with GP on one point: America does have a completely different attitude about work, in general. I like Europe's better.

I mostly feel sorry for Lindsey, because God knows her mother is more of a child than she is. She doesn't have much of a chance unless someone takes her under their wing and serves as a surrogate mom.

I think GP is a good actress, but I've never thought she was all that attractive. Her mom is much more gorgeous.

It seems that Ms. Paltrow has turned her back on the very country that has made her the celebrity she is today.

If she thinks England is that much better, then she can always become a British citizen.

All "civilized" countries have their good moments and their bad moments. Look what happened in Germany in the 30s and 40s. The slaughter of millions of innocent people based on a hatred that was spread by ONE man initially.

Peter Hamilton said:

You do realise that it is an American that has been quoted as making this statement, and not actually British people saying that they are more civilised, so i am not sure what the raking over old ground is supposed to achieve, every country has a less than flattering history, including the US.

I was just thinking about the BBC. I think it's better than the broadcasting we have here, but I remember watching once, I believe after Diana was killed and heard the broadcaster say: And now we go to our former colony....
It sounded so weird to my ears, and ever since, I use it in casual conservation.

To stick to the topic, I wish GP and all these celebs would quit doing all the backpedaling and just say, well yeah, that's my opinion and so what? But at least GP's isn't as bad as Sienna Miller's backpedaling. How do you take Sh*tsburg out of context?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back