Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

I was wondering about this. I thought part of the camera crew walked out because of their lodging. It was something about having to stay in a grubby motel that was a long drive to and from the set. They wanted to stay closer to the set, but, because it was a touristy area, hotels were expensive. I recall some of the crew had brought RV's, etc. and stayed in those - not unusual for movie locations.

Does anyone recall what the story was with the camera crew that left?
The hotel rooms were a safety issue according to the crew. They were working long hours on set, often 12+ hours. Then they would have to spend a couple of hours driving back and forth. They worried that the commute would impact their rest time and they could fall asleep at the wheel after the long days.

The hotel rooms were their primary concern but they also complained about the two accidental discharges, the lack of safety briefings and poor COVID protocols.

That’s my recollection as well. The camera crew walked out over lodging. It seems like the director was sympathetic to their issues. Many ppl saw how careless HGR was with the guns and still stayed.

Also, this is not directed at you, but I don’t know why ppl are saying the production isn’t being punished. They are being sued by everyone and will pay. That’s punishment. I guess I don’t know if folks want all the board members and producers to go to prison to achieve real justice here. We can’t just pull up all the producers to trial and charge them criminally. There’s a very high standard for criminal culpability. As there should be. HGR loaded the bullets in the gun without checking. She didn’t need a producer or the CEO of the production company looking over her shoulder to remind her to do that function. She knew she was supposed to do that. That was her negligent choice NOT to do it. JMO

This is the part that @PrairieWind is good at explaining - the difference between charges that should be civil vs criminal. There are standards for that in the US justice system and, like making up ones own rules about gun safety, its probably best to avoid arbitrarily ignoring rules about civil vs criminal liability. JMO That's a dangerous trend these days.

The set sounds like a nightmare. So many people seemed to know that weapons were not being handled properly, yet no one stepped in. HGR took the job and failed to do it, and a woman died. Production did not provide a safe environment-should they be held accountable? Were they aware and chose to do nothing? I am not sure that AB should be responsible when he clearly was “acting” in a scene. If he didn’t get on television and insist he didn’t pull the trigger, I am not sure he would be charged.
What one is doing with a firearm is beside the point - as per my previous posts, YOU are responsible for the safety of the firearm you are using. You can't delegate that responsibility. If you don't want that responsibility then don't use firearms, especially in a professional capacity. If you spend a large part of your life telling the world how dangerous guns are and that no one should own them and then use them in your rather unessential career pretending to kill people with them then, imo, that makes you doubly culpable when something goes wrong with the gun you are using and didn't check was safe!

A poster asked about standard of dress in Santa Fe -- yep, eclectic, for certain.

Not a big fan of Special Prosecutor Morrisey, but I really appreciate that she said something like:

Dave Hall is guilty. Alec Baldwin is charged & may be found guilty. That doesn't mean that Hannah Gutierrez is not guilty.

Not a precise quote, but that's the gist.

OSHA found the company guilty, one by one individuals are as well.

I still think HGR was not able to stand up to AB and in that situation DH should have -- but am OK with the jury's verdict.

jmho ymmv lrr

Did her grandfather ever come to trial for support? She did herself no favors with the attitude i saw in the courtroom. The total change in appearance, etc. I think its right verdict. She was partying on set and obviously was young and inexperienced but overconfident because of grandfather, IMO. She is responsible for live round being in gun and NOT doing her job. AB is NOT innocent either BUT when any actor should be able to trust their prop. Its NOT his JOB to make sure, his job is to ACT. Now the producer roll is a little muddying of the water but most of the time thats on paper only nowdays...with every lead wanting producer title too.

I'm really astonished that after the shooting LE found 6 live rounds scattered around the set. One of these was in the bandolier that AB would wear.
This is one of the reasons as to why I'm not sufficiently convinced that HGR introduced the live rounds. They were well scattered about and I think it would have taken some time to get to that point. Also, to go over old ground; the only source of these was that they were handloads or were factory made by a small volume maker who used Star-Line brass. That makes it unlikely that they came from HRG. I don't think that any of the evidence proves, to the relevant criminal standard, that she took the rounds to the set. It's simply not there.

Not that it makes a difference if she didn't check them, that's what the checks are there for. But I don't accept that they got there by starting out in her possession and them getting mixed with dummies. The prosecution has presented zero evidence to show that she knowingly possessed them as live ammo before the shooting.

Did her grandfather ever come to trial for support? She did herself no favors with the attitude i saw in the courtroom. The total change in appearance, etc. I think its right verdict. She was partying on set and obviously was young and inexperienced but overconfident because of grandfather, IMO. She is responsible for live round being in gun and NOT doing her job. AB is NOT innocent either BUT when any actor should be able to trust their prop. Its NOT his JOB to make sure, his job is to ACT. Now the producer roll is a little muddying of the water but most of the time thats on paper only nowdays...with every lead wanting producer title too.
He's her father - actually stepfather - and, yes, I think he was there at some point.

To add to my previous - it is absolutely the job of someone using a firearm to make sure that it's safe. Even if it wasn't then AB obviously and clearly didn't adhere to his own industry's rules on use of firearms. He has no defence. He was negligent, two people were shot and one died.

He's her father - actually stepfather - and, yes, I think he was there at some point.

To add to my previous - it is absolutely the job of someone using a firearm to make sure that it's safe. Even if it wasn't then AB obviously and clearly didn't adhere to his own industry's rules on use of firearms. He has no defence. He was negligent, two people were shot and one died.

In my concealed carry course, the instructor emphasized that if I was holding a weapon, I was the one responsible for checking the chamber and I was responsible for the consequences of firing it. Even if I was shooting at an intruder in my own home, I had to warn them I was armed and was going to shoot.

I don't see why this standard should be exempted for a movie set where it's expected a weapons would be fired in multiple episodes as part of the rehearsal or set-up for the filming.

Last edited:

But the Screen Actor's Guild as said it is NOT the actor's job to check the gun. That is the industry standard. And negligence is not a crime. AB has excellent defenses to his charges. His trial, if there is one, will look very different than HGR's. You wont see the OSHA results, you wont have allegations of drug use by the defendant.

In my concealed carry course, the instructor emphasized that if I was holding a weapon, I was the one responsible for checking the chamber and I was responsible for the consequences of firing it. Even if I was shooting at an intruder in my own home, I had to warn them I was armed and was going to shoot.

I don't see why this standard should be exempted for a movie set where it's very possible a weapon would be fired as part of the rehearsal or set-up for the filming.
Absolutely!

100%!!

But the Screen Actor's Guild as said it is NOT the actor's job to check the gun. That is the industry standard. And negligence is not a crime. AB has excellent defenses to his charges. His trial, if there is one, will look very different than HGR's. You wont see the OSHA results, you wont have allegations of drug use by the defendant.
But, as I said in a previous post, it's the actor's responsibility to adhere to the protocol which says that the gun and its safety has to be demonstrated in froy of him/her. That counts as the actors safety check. It doesn't say that the actor may simply take someone else's word for the safety of said gun.

But, as I said in a previous post, it's the actor's responsibility to adhere to the protocol which says that the gun and its safety has to be demonstrated in froy of him/her. That counts as the actors safety check. It doesn't say that the actor may simply take someone else's word for the safety of said gun.
Where does the protocol say that?

I don't see why this standard should be exempted for a movie set where it's expected a weapons would be fired in multiple episodes as part of the rehearsal or set-up for the filming.

Negligence resulting in death and injury most certainly is a crime.

Regarding the reason why the camera crew walked off the set, I found this thread from one of their cameraman. This reporting comes from an industry publication.

This was before they quit and before the shooting.

1709836277974.png

(I added the red lines to hide the expletives.)

Safety of the gun was the job responsibility of the armorer, not the actor. HGH was convicted for failing to do her job and her failure resulted in the death of another human being.

Movie sets can be very dangerous. That's the point of having an armorer.

JMO

I think in AB’s trial what will be central to the prosecution’s case is that he pointed and pulled the trigger when the scene didn’t even call for it. That he was going rogue on several other scenes and firing shots willy nilly and that this created an unsafe environment. The focus will be that he was entitled, rushing people, and a general horse’s behind. Oh and by the way he didn’t check the gun or have HGR demonstrate that the gun was safe to be fired/used. I’m betting the general tenor in his trial will be he’s a B-list actor at best who thinks he’s an A-list actor and acts entitled. If the prosecution brings in high profile actors to testify that they always check the gun themselves etc and that it’s standard AB is cooked. JMO

it is not her grandfather it is her step father Thell Reed and yes he was there for the verdict and he is not young. Seemed dazed and in disbelief. I am sure he feels guilty at what has happened to his daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redhairdontcare
Back