Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

Alec didn’t check his weapon, aimed it at two people and fired the gun, killing one. As a producer and main actor on the set he also allegedly ignored firearm safety issues that led up to that point.

My views only based on the recent trial and what has been reported.
And, by his own admission he acted contrary to the training he's had - and also contrary to the SAG safety bulletin;

In an interview with ABC News in December 2021, Baldwin said he had been trained not to point a gun at anyone and fire. “I would never point a gun at anyone and pull a trigger,” he said. “That was the training that I had.”

11. FIREARMS & OTHER WEAPONS Treat all weapons as though they are loaded and/or ready to use. Do not play with weapons and never point one at anyone, including yourself.

He pointed a gun at someone.

He pulled the trigger.

In October 2022, Baldwin and other Rust producers settled a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Hutchins' widower Matthew. Along with the settlement, the team agreed to complete the movie with Matthew now on board as an executive producer.

Production on Rust was said to resume in January 2023, under the agreement that production would be able to resume after a 15-month hiatus. Upon its controversial resume, Variety reported that it won't be filmed in New Mexico.

Baldwin resumed filming Rust at the Yellowstone Film Ranch in Paradise Valley, Montana in April 2023. In May 2023, the Rust wrapped filming. Baldwin announced the news on his Instagram, along with a photo of two cast members in the movie posing together as he wrote in part that the film's completion is "nothing less than a miracle."

Everything to Know About the Rust Shooting Case and Alec Baldwin's Upcoming Trial

March 7, 2024

Halyna Hutchins' mother is marking the second anniversary of the late cinematographer's on-set death at 42.

On Saturday, Hutchins' mother Olga visited Hollywood Forever Cemetery in Los Angeles to see her daughter's gravesite, accompanied by her family's attorney Gloria Allred. Video of Olga's visit shared by ABC 13 shows her and Allred carrying flowers to the grave, as well as Olga crying as she viewed the grave itself.

Updated on October 23, 2023

What punishment? She's been out on bail the entire time. Last night was literally the first night she's slept in a cell.

I meant all the punishment that is everything except sleeping inside a cell. The being named and shamed globally, the shame to her father's name and reputation, the embarrassment, the guilt, being discussed in court on camera, the stress of it all and the collapse of her potential future career in hollywood or as an armourer and the struggle she's going to have to get *any* job now, her future struggles are all the punishment.

I personally don't suspect being inside prison will assist her at all - worse it could enhance her hardened 'eff you' attitude and bond her with some terribly criminally minded friends and even put her into heavier drug use. Bearing in mind how much it costs tax payers to keep a person in prison, I'd have thought she'd have been better off mandated to a community sentence, working hard in some form of community service would be better for her humility and arrogance, plus she'd learn how to be a responsible human being at threat of being turned into prison, on a tag / monitoring scheme, drug and alcohol tested, and checking in with probation. Just my opinion.

The purpose of a prison sentence is multi-fold. For sure it is meant to rehabilitate or correct the offending behavior. It’s also meant to punish and offer retributive justice. It’s also meant to deter others. Another armorer/actor is more likely to be more careful with the threat of prison time hanging over his or her shoulder. It is also meant to protect the public. Although that does not apply here.

Many offenders are given community service and given second and third chances and never learn. Instead they learn to game the system and play on the system’s mercies. So it’s not true that no prison time and other rehabilitative options are more productive in changing behavior.

JMO

It was kind of about the money. The first person they approached said he'd need at least one assistant at all times which obviously increased the cost significantly. Rust Productions wasn't willing to pay that increased cost.

It was said a page or two back that she got the job through nepotism - because of her dad, essentially. That's not really the main reason if she was a second choice. It may have played a part but the main reason for her hiring was cost.

‘Rust’ budget reveals armorer was slated to earn under $8,000 for work​

It’s a jury question of whether AB was not being criminally negligent because he’s an actor on a set and trusted the armorer to do her job OR he IS criminally negligent because he should’ve checked the gun with the armorer too and never pointed it at someone and pulled the trigger without doing so. That’s under the province of a jury, as they say. I think you can reasonably come down on either side. That’s why I said that Morrissey’s strategy will be to focus on all the other reckless things AB was doing on that set and say that he was behaving recklessly in general. For eg., no one said point and shoot and he does, the director says cut and he fires anyway etc. JMO
I personally got the vibe that the state is going after AB for going off script multiple times with the guns and refusing to participate in safety class.
And that’s just leading up to - the event.
JMO

I personally got the vibe that the state is going after AB for going off script multiple times with the guns and refusing to participate in safety class.
JMO
Yes and before hearing that evidence I was firmly in the NG camp for AB. I felt like he had a reasonable expectation that HGR had made sure the weapon was safe. But now after hearing about the lead up…..yeah….no! I think if there’s no corroborating evidence (other than his say so) that the victim asked him to point and pull the hammer he will be in big trouble. I think the state has a good case. JMO

Yes and before hearing that evidence I was firmly in the NG camp for AB. I felt like he had a reasonable expectation that HGR had made sure the weapon was safe. But now after hearing about the lead up…..yeah….no! I think if there’s no corroborating evidence (other than his say so) that the victim asked him to point and pull the hammer he will be in big trouble. I think the state has a good case. JMO
BBM. Of course he had an expectation the weapon was "safe." Why on earth would anyone expect there would be live rounds on a movie set? The DA has to prove him guilty, and the conviction of the armorer helps AB tremendously.

JMO

JMO
Yes.

All of that could be evidence which demonstrates a general lack of care and his attitude towards firearms and safety rules in general.

My opinion is that even if what he says is true in that respect it makes little difference. He should not have been pointing it at anyone and he didn't personally verify (by checking it himself or having it demonstrated in front of him) that the gun was safe.

These are both points on the SAG guidelines and, even if they weren't, it's still unacceptable to not know the safety condition of a gun you are using or to point it at anyone.

BBM. Of course he had an expectation the weapon was "safe." Why on earth would anyone expect there would be live rounds on a movie set? The DA has to prove him guilty, and the conviction of the armorer helps AB tremendously.

JMO
Because live rounds exist in the world. If they didn't then the safety checks wouldn't be needed.

In fact, the SAG safety bulletin even has safety protocols for when live rounds are actually used on movie sets. That section is as long as, possibly longer, than the section on using blanks so there is an expectation that they may be used under certain circumstances.

Lets not forget that this is New Mexico - literally the heartland of the "Old West" and that culture is deeply ingrained there. Billy the Kid/Lincoln Country War and all that, etc. Some live .45 Colt rounds showing up at an old west movie town does not seem particularly unlikely to me.

May I ask as to why you think that HGR's conviction helps AB?

RUSH ARMORER HAVING DIFFICULT TIME IN JAIL ...After Manslaughter Conviction...

"Hannah's lawyer says they will be appealing her conviction, seeking to overturn the verdict and judgment."

Last edited:

RUSH ARMORER HAVING DIFFICULT TIME IN JAIL ...After Manslaughter Conviction...

"Hannah's lawyer says they will be appealing her conviction, seeking to overturn the verdict and judgment."
Haha nice puff piece by defense to garner sympathy for sentencing! Has there ever been a report that so and so is adjusting well to jail/prison after 2 days?? I’m liking the judge by the day as we head into sentencing….

On another website, a poster asked two intriguing questions:

First: Which producer or director is responsible for supervising crafts, including armorers? The trial indicated an overall poor job performance by HGR. Is there a record of 'chats,' informal correspondence requesting professional changes, verbal or written reprimands, reviews? No? Why not, and which producer/director/admin was paid to supervise the armorer here?

Was that DH?

Second: If this had been a suicide scene, would AB point the pistol at his own head & (not) pull the trigger without checking the pistol himself?

Wonder how others feel about these questions.

jmho ymmv lrr

After seeing this trial and verdict clearly many of the witnesses I assume most will be testifying again in AB's trial coming up this summer. I also watched AB initial interviews with police and media and one thing stands out. In the initial police interview day of the event he is 100% saying HGR gave him the gun. Later in media interviews he clearly says it is Dave Hall. Has this ever been really nailed down who handed it to him??
AB was also very clear that his regular practice is to NEVER CHECK the gun himself.

Because live rounds exist in the world. If they didn't then the safety checks wouldn't be needed.

In fact, the SAG safety bulletin even has safety protocols for when live rounds are actually used on movie sets. That section is as long as, possibly longer, than the section on using blanks so there is an expectation that they may be used under certain circumstances.

Lets not forget that this is New Mexico - literally the heartland of the "Old West" and that culture is deeply ingrained there. Billy the Kid/Lincoln Country War and all that, etc. Some live .45 Colt rounds showing up at an old west movie town does not seem particularly unlikely to me.

May I ask as to why you think that HGR's conviction helps AB?
The safety checks/armorer is needed for safe use of blanks, quarter loads, half loads etc. SAG specifically states that live rounds should never be on set. I did read about the exceptions in the event live rounds are required. However, the set of Rust, actors, insurance providers, etc were all operating as if no live rounds were on set, as per the SAG guidelines.

On another website, a poster asked two intriguing questions:

First: Which producer or director is responsible for supervising crafts, including armorers? The trial indicated an overall poor job performance by HGR. Is there a record of 'chats,' informal correspondence requesting professional changes, verbal or written reprimands, reviews? No? Why not, and which producer/director/admin was paid to supervise the armorer here?

Was that DH?

Second: If this had been a suicide scene, would AB point the pistol at his own head & (not) pull the trigger without checking the pistol himself?

Wonder how others feel about these questions.

jmho ymmv lrr

To be honest, the armor generally is a position that doesn’t have a direct manager per se. Yes, there are producers that are overall in charge of staff, but the armor typically does not have someone that supervises their daily activity. There are multiple positions that are like this in the film industry including the set medic. There is a head grip manager, there is a head, construction manager, there may be more than one step medic, and one will be the set medic manager, but those are typically working/managing rolls.

To be honest, the armor generally is a position that doesn’t have a direct manager per se. Yes, there are producers that are overall in charge of staff, but the armor typically does not have someone that supervises their daily activity. There are multiple positions that are like this in the film industry including the set medic. There is a head grip manager, there is a head, construction manager, there may be more than one step medic, and one will be the set medic manager, but those are typically working/managing rolls.
I thought the prop master is supposed to supervise the armorer.

After seeing this trial and verdict clearly many of the witnesses I assume most will be testifying again in AB's trial coming up this summer. I also watched AB initial interviews with police and media and one thing stands out. In the initial police interview day of the event he is 100% saying HGR gave him the gun. Later in media interviews he clearly says it is Dave Hall. Has this ever been really nailed down who handed it to him??
AB was also very clear that his regular practice is to NEVER CHECK the gun himself.
No it was never nailed down per se because Halls testified indignantly that he never handed AB the gun. But from closing arguments, the state seemed to believe it was Halls who handed him the gun. Others will correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like Morrissey said that at one point.

I suspect AB’s credibility will be front and center at his trial. I don’t believe for one second that he never pulled the trigger and I am highly suspicious that Hutchins asked him to point and pull the hammer back. I wonder if his trial will be a media circus like the Paltrow or the Depp v Heard trials!?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled
Back