Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

Jurors saw extensive behind-the-scenes footage of Baldwin in the days before the tragic accident, barking at Gutierrez-Reed to reload his revolver faster, later using it as a “pointing stick” to show cast and crew where to stand.

AB was not personally found liable by a jury in the civil lawsuit. The case was settled last year and, iirc, HH's husband was added as a producer to Rust.

JMO

When your name is on a lawsuit and you settle you take some of the liability but do not have to admit guilt in any way.

2 Cents

The settlement was announced in a release Wednesday. It marks the end of a wrongful death case filed in February on behalf of the Hutchins family against the producers of Rust, including actor Alec Baldwin.

Last edited:

Jurors saw extensive behind-the-scenes footage of Baldwin in the days before the tragic accident, barking at Gutierrez-Reed to reload his revolver faster, later using it as a “pointing stick” to show cast and crew where to stand.
Yes, the jurors in the HGH trial saw the footage....and still found HGH guilty of involuntary manslaughter. Barking orders isn't a crime.

JMO

Paraphrasing Special Prosecutor KM again:

Dave Hall pled guilty, Alec Baldwin is charged and may be guilty, that doesn't mean that Hannah Gutierrez is not guilty.

Video shows AB making poor choices with firearms on-set.

The jury will see more than we've seen.

OSHA found the company guilty of making choices that contributed to HH's death.
DH accepted his guilt, that he made choices that contributed to HH's death.
A jury found HGR guilty, HGR made choices that contributed to HH's death.

Testimony indicates that AB made the final poor choice that contributed to HH's death.

We'll find out in July how the jury sees that final poor choice.

jmho ymmv lrr

Yes, the jurors in the HGH trial saw the footage....and still found HGH guilty of involuntary manslaughter. Barking orders isn't a crime.

JMO

No juror said it was a crime for Alec to "bark orders" but I do not think it makes him look like Mr Safety. As @Laughing puts it brilliantly...

Shows Poor Choice

"barking at Gutierrez-Reed to reload his revolver faster, later using it as a “pointing stick” to show cast and crew where to stand."

Last edited:
AB was not personally found liable by a jury in the civil lawsuit. The case was settled last year and, iirc, HH's husband was added as a producer to Rust.

JMO
I realize that HH's husband settled and even went back to work on the production. He did what he felt he had to go for his future and that of his family. Makes no difference in the criminal action.

When your name is on a lawsuit and you settle you take some of the liability but do not have to admit guilt in any way.

2 Cents

The settlement was announced in a release Wednesday. It marks the end of a wrongful death case filed in February on behalf of the Hutchins family against the producers of Rust, including actor Alec Baldwin.
Liability is decided by a jury at trial. Your link makes it abundantly clear the lawsuit was resolved by adding HH's husband as an executive producer.

JMO

According to Wednesday’s announcement, Rust will resume production in January 2023 with all “original principal players.”

Matthew Hutchins, the husband of Halyna Hutchins, will serve as the executive producer.

“I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame [to the producers or Mr. Baldwin]. All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work,” Matthew Hutchins said in a release.

‘Rust’ Set Footage Shows Alec Baldwin Rushing the Crew, Saying: ‘One More! Right Away! Let’s Reload!’​

The videos — seen publicly for the first time — are likely to be played again at Baldwin’s manslaughter trial in July.

SANTA FE, N.M. — The director called “action,” and Alec Baldwin emerged from a wooden shed and advanced toward the camera, firing shots from an old pistol. As soon as he heard “cut,” the actor wanted to do the take again.

“One more! One more! One more! Right away!” Baldwin shouted. “Let’s reload!”
Baldwin was visibly impatient. “Here we go! C’mon,” he said. “We should have two guns and both we’re reloading.”

On Thursday morning, jurors saw outtakes from the film, in which Baldwin could be seen using his pistol to point as he gave instructions to the crew.

Kari Morrissey, one of two special prosecutors, played the videos during the questioning of Bryan Carpenter, a veteran armorer who is serving as the state’s expert witness. Carpenter testified that a series of behind-the-scenes videos showed numerous lapses in gun safety.

“Rushing with firearms and telling someone to rush with firearms is not normal nor accepted,” Carpenter testified. “In a situation like that, when you’re getting rushed to that extent, that’s when safety starts to fall by the wayside.”

Baldwin said. “I’m going to shoot close to you.”

Asked if he saw anything wrong with the clip, Carpenter said: “He’s using the weapon as a pointing stick.”

Paraphrasing Special Prosecutor KM again:

Dave Hall pled guilty, Alec Baldwin is charged and may be guilty, that doesn't mean that Hannah Gutierrez is not guilty.

Video shows AB making poor choices with firearms on-set.

The jury will see more than we've seen.

OSHA found the company guilty of making choices that contributed to HH's death.
DH accepted his guilt, that he made choices that contributed to HH's death.
A jury found HGR guilty, HGR made choices that contributed to HH's death.

Testimony indicates that AB made the final poor choice that contributed to HH's death.

We'll find out in July how the jury sees that final poor choice.

jmho ymmv lrr

That’s a good summary. It’s interesting that these 3 individuals made 3 different wrong choices that resulted in the same horrible thing ‘death’.

What’s the chances of 3 people consecutively making errors? That is a good indication that there was carelessness and haste.

That’s a good summary. It’s interesting that these 3 individuals made 3 different wrong choices that resulted in the same horrible thing ‘death’.

What’s the chances of 3 people consecutively making errors? That is a good indication that there was carelessness and haste.
What was the wrong choice made by AB? He was following HH's instructions. Aren't actors supposed to follow the cinematographer's instructions when rehearsing a scene?

JMO

What was the wrong choice made by AB? He was following HH's instructions. Aren't actors supposed to follow the cinematographer's instructions when rehearsing a scene?

JMO

The shot was supposed to be of the back end of the revolver being pulling out of the holster, but he followed all the way through and pulled the trigger while the gun was pointed at two people within just a few feet..

‘Rust’ Set Footage Shows Alec Baldwin Rushing the Crew, Saying: ‘One More! Right Away! Let’s Reload!’​

The videos — seen publicly for the first time — are likely to be played again at Baldwin’s manslaughter trial in July.

SANTA FE, N.M. — The director called “action,” and Alec Baldwin emerged from a wooden shed and advanced toward the camera, firing shots from an old pistol. As soon as he heard “cut,” the actor wanted to do the take again.

“One more! One more! One more! Right away!” Baldwin shouted. “Let’s reload!”
Baldwin was visibly impatient. “Here we go! C’mon,” he said. “We should have two guns and both we’re reloading.”

On Thursday morning, jurors saw outtakes from the film, in which Baldwin could be seen using his pistol to point as he gave instructions to the crew.

Kari Morrissey, one of two special prosecutors, played the videos during the questioning of Bryan Carpenter, a veteran armorer who is serving as the state’s expert witness. Carpenter testified that a series of behind-the-scenes videos showed numerous lapses in gun safety.

“Rushing with firearms and telling someone to rush with firearms is not normal nor accepted,” Carpenter testified. “In a situation like that, when you’re getting rushed to that extent, that’s when safety starts to fall by the wayside.”

Baldwin said. “I’m going to shoot close to you.”

Asked if he saw anything wrong with the clip, Carpenter said: “He’s using the weapon as a pointing stick.”
Recall there was one of those weapon expert witnesses who was waving a gun around while on the stand, pointing it at the ceiling, at the observers, at the judge.

Not defending Baldwin, but a lot of people seem to talk gun safety, but don walk the talk.

The shot was supposed to be of the back end of the revolver being pulling out of the holster, but he followed all the way through and pulled the trigger while the gun was pointed at two people within just a few feet..
BBM. Feel free to prove it because AB has already made a legal filing as to what he was told by HH and there were witnesses.
JMO

"Baldwin asked Hutchins whether she wanted to see him *advertiser censored* the gun, as the script required. She responded yes. Baldwin tipped the gun down somewhat so that the lens of the camera would be able to focus on his hand's action on the top of the gun. While performing this action, Baldwin asked Hutchins, 'Am I holding it too far down?' and 'Do you see that?' Hutchins responded that she could see Baldwin's action from her angle. Baldwin then pulled back the hammer, but not far enough to actually *advertiser censored* the gun. When Baldwin let go of the hammer, the gun went off," the filing says.

Recall there was one of those weapon expert witnesses who was waving a gun around while on the stand, pointing it at the ceiling, at the observers, at the judge.

Not defending Baldwin, but a lot of people seem to talk gun safety, but don walk the talk.

Yup. A bunch of stuff went on like that behind the scenes.

I'm not impressed that those film clips on Alec are the cause of anything except to show a celebrity on a movie set talking like 1/2 of them do.

I blame the person who is not adjusting well in jail right now.

JMO

A few things but the main one was pointing a gun that he hadn’t checked. I realize that is an ongoing debate from the beginning of the thread based on what the actors responsibilities are. Therein lies the difference to me.

I personally would not rely on anyone who says the gun is safe, cold etc because it’s been ingrained in me not to point a gun at anyone. That’s just my personal preference and I would not waiver from it. It innately wouldn’t matter if I was George Clooney or Meryl Streep, I wouldn’t take someone else’s word on an instrument that kills.

He had to have some knowledge of HRG inexperience and previous issues with DH. There was tension on the set that should have been addressed, people walked off.

Considering the obvious lack of harmony among the crew he should have been able to see it and evaluate if it was affecting the overall performance.

One of the things that I was taught about firearm safety was to never point a gun, whether loaded or not, at anything you do not want to be hit by a bullet.

I can't see any reason why a functional firearm was pointed at someone during a rehearsal on a movie set. Totally unnecessary, irresponsible and a ridiculously unsafe thing to do. JMO.

HGR has been convicted and rightfully so.

Does having her convicted in this case absolve any criminal conduct by AB in the death of Halyna? Of course it doesn't.

It means that a separate trial with a different jury gets to look at the facts of this case and come to a conclusion of their own. JMO.

A few things but the main one was pointing a gun that he hadn’t checked. I realize that is an ongoing debate from the beginning of the thread based on what the actors responsibilities are. Therein lies the difference to me.

I personally would not rely on anyone who says the gun is safe, cold etc because it’s been ingrained in me not to point a gun at anyone. That’s just my personal preference and I would not waiver from it. It innately wouldn’t matter if I was George Clooney or Meryl Streep, I wouldn’t take someone else’s word on an instrument that kills.

He had to have some knowledge of HRG inexperience and previous issues with DH. There was tension on the set that should have been addressed, people walked off.

Considering the obvious lack of harmony among the crew he should have been able to see it and evaluate if it was affecting the overall performance.
It wasn't AB's job to check the gun. It wasn't AB's job to know anything about HRG. He didn't personally hire her, did he? The testimony at trial proved who was responsible to the satisfaction of this jury.

JMO

So, in the end, what do people here think HGR mostly did wrong in her duties as Armorer?

In watching her very first interview with the female detectives, it sounds as though she believed her primary duties in gun safety were:

1) ensuring the gun barrels were clear of debris; and
2) shaking the dummy rounds to hear if they rattled.

However, she seemed to have no idea there was live ammunition on set even though LE found 6. She seemed shocked to discover a live round was shot, (as were AB, JS and Dave Halls shocked when you see their interviews/testimonies). It seemed to never occur to any of these four that live ammo could be the cause of what projected from the gun.

And then there was that extraction tool that was talked about in the first interview also. Was the implication that she was using live rounds to manipulate them into dummies? That part wasn't clear to me but during that first interview, HGR was going to demonstrate using the tool but they couldn't find an extractor.

I get the sense she had not been taught enough about what her duties actually were. She even said in that interview that SK was training her as she went along. So, she grew up shadowing her famous stepfather in his roles, and had SK training her on the job. But other than that, she didn't seem to know how to recognize live ammunition. She continually talked about shaking the dummies as her only means of checking them.

All of that coupled with her looking half-asleep, slow, or out-of-it in the first interviews (both in the truck and in the interview room) seems so complacent.

It's quite shocking actually!

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member