Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

Interesting point of view:

Alec Baldwin's conviction in the 'Rust' shooting case just became less likely​

If the armorer was criminally negligent and handed Baldwin a gun that had live ammunition, then how could he be held responsible? Under common industry practice, he had a right to rely upon the armorer in believing the weapon to be harmless.

The issue as to whether he pulled the trigger or cocked the gun and it went off accidentally is irrelevant since, either way, an unloaded gun would have done no harm.

Last edited:
My impression from the beginning was that he was genuinely sad and horrified that he had taken the life of a co-worker he liked and respected. He seemed even more upset about the loss to her family and friends. These emotions would be common to any of us after a tragic accident that took someone's life.

He was attacked in social media, as expected, but he dealt with that. It was a major setback for his finances and career, but he probably expected that and has since handled it well without self-pity or making excuses. JMO

ETA: I'll add he was probably horrified and sad that he had taken the life of another person, especially someone he knew, liked and respected.
I did not get that impression at all. For me, it felt all about him. First, after the shooting , he wanted his wife to come out to the set-after all, it was all paid for, according to him. I disliked his attitude in the interview room as well, chatting up LE about his supposed Spanish wife. Wife refused to come to NM. Then, there was a bunch of social media posting about how the tragedy affected him and his family, and how they were dealing with it. There was a roadside interview-I cannot imagine his team thinking that was a smart move. Next was the George Stephanopoulos interview where he insisted he did not pull the trigger, and felt no guilt. AB would have been far better off just going home and saying/posting nothing.

I did not get that impression at all. For me, it felt all about him. First, after the shooting , he wanted his wife to come out to the set-after all, it was all paid for, according to him. I disliked his attitude in the interview room as well, chatting up LE about his supposed Spanish wife. Wife refused to come to NM. Then, there was a bunch of social media posting about how the tragedy affected him and his family, and how they were dealing with it. There was a roadside interview-I cannot imagine his team thinking that was a smart move. Next was the George Stephanopoulos interview where he insisted he did not pull the trigger, and felt no guilt. AB would have been far better off just going home and saying/posting nothing.
what really got me is when he wanted her to come...take a little mini vacay with the SIX kids as all paid for and the idea was deal with some insurance issues and I think he was confident about starting to shoot again in a few days. And yes my wife and her. ethnicity. He was all about him..I agree. Never asked about Halyna even after seeing her condition. Anyone could see that was extremely serious and life and death. Anyone except AB.

If the armorer was criminally negligent and handed Baldwin a gun that had live ammunition, then how could he be held responsible? Under common industry practice, he had a right to rely upon the armorer in believing the weapon to be harmless.

The issue as to whether he pulled the trigger or cocked the gun and it went off accidentally is irrelevant since, either way, an unloaded gun would have done no harm.

Safe firearm handling doesn't end with the armorer.

Treat all weapons as though they are
loaded and/or ready to use. Do not play
with weapons and never point one at
anyone, including yourself.
The above is from a Screen Actors Guild safety bulletin.

It doesn't say that it's okay to point a gun at someone or yourself as long as you don't pull the trigger. That's what AB is trying to use as an excuse for carelessly handling a gun which resulted in one person injured and another person dead.

If he had followed what is said in the SAG safety bulletin no one would have been harmed. JMO.

Yes yes yes! All about him. He didn’t even say the victim’s name. He is first and foremost concerned about himself. Then at the roadside impromptu interview by the paps they both berate the media for not pronouncing the victim’s name properly ‘Say her Name’ - the audacity to reprimand others while they go around giving absolutely zero effs is wild!

JMO

Alec Baldwin's conviction in the 'Rust' shooting case just became less likely​

BBM. That is why SAG-AFTRA is supporting AB. Unions are all about safety. I'm still appalled that armorer brought drugs onto that movie set.

JMO

what really got me is when he wanted her to come...take a little mini vacay with the SIX kids as all paid for and the idea was deal with some insurance issues and I think he was confident about starting to shoot again in a few days. And yes my wife and her. ethnicity. He was all about him..I agree. Never asked about Halyna even after seeing her condition. Anyone could see that was extremely serious and life and death. Anyone except AB.
I saw him being very concerned with Halyna's family, the director, etc. but doing it in a way that respected their privacy. After the media firestorm hit, he was probably concerned for the safety of his own family. There are a lot of crazy, sometimes dangerous fanatics out there who stalk famous people like AB and his family. IIRC, once his work in NM was completed and Halyna's family and the injured director seen to, he went back home. The media frenzy was so hysterical there, he and his family left to stay in a rental in Vermont. I recall the tabloid media hounding him all the way up there, disrupting the town and people on vacation there.

This was about a week after the shooting

“He has not come in my store,” Stannart said. “He was at Christos'. My friend who works there saw him.”
On Thursday morning, a woman who answered the phone at Christos' asked that the press "stop bothering" them.
"You guys keep calling us," the unidentified woman said. "You are not getting anything out of us."

A link to the tabloids harassing him and his family in Vermont

The above is from a Screen Actors Guild safety bulletin.

It doesn't say that it's okay to point a gun at someone or yourself as long as you don't pull the trigger. That's what AB is trying to use as an excuse for carelessly handling a gun which resulted in one person injured and another person dead.

If he had followed what is said in the SAG safety bulletin no one would have been harmed. JMO.

AB's job was to follow the cinematographer's instructions in a rehearsal for camera angles, which is why the SAG-AFTRA is supporting him.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that AB was pointing the gun at any one person. The term "misfire" means the gun wasn't functioning properly and, in this case, the misfire injured two people and one of them died.

JMO

The prop gun used in the fatal shooting of the cinematographer of the movie Alec Baldwin was producing had misfired before on the set, sources familiar with the situation told NBC News Friday.

Just a few hours before Baldwin fired the shot that killed the highly regarded cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, and also wounded the director, Joel Souza, several members of the crew walked off the set of “Rust” because of safety concerns, the sources said.

AB's job was to follow the cinematographer's instructions in a rehearsal for camera angles, which is why the SAG-AFTRA is supporting him.

I'm not sure where you get the idea that AB was pointing the gun at any one person. The term "misfire" means the gun wasn't functioning properly and, in this case, the misfire injured two people and one of them died.

JMO

The prop gun used in the fatal shooting of the cinematographer of the movie Alec Baldwin was producing had misfired before on the set, sources familiar with the situation told NBC News Friday.

Just a few hours before Baldwin fired the shot that killed the highly regarded cinematographer, Halyna Hutchins, and also wounded the director, Joel Souza, several members of the crew walked off the set of “Rust” because of safety concerns, the sources said.
The gun that AB fired was certainly pointed at the victims because they were struck by the bullet.

Even if the gun did "misfire" and I'm not convinced that happened, if AB had not pointed the gun at the victims per the SAG safety bulletin, no one would have been injured or killed. JMO.

I saw him being very concerned with Halyna's family, the director, etc. but doing it in a way that respected their privacy. After the media firestorm hit, he was probably concerned for the safety of his own family. There are a lot of crazy, sometimes dangerous fanatics out there who stalk famous people like AB and his family. IIRC, once his work in NM was completed and Halyna's family and the injured director seen to, he went back home. The media frenzy was so hysterical there, he and his family left to stay in a rental in Vermont. I recall the tabloid media hounding him all the way up there, disrupting the town and people on vacation there.

This was about a week after the shooting

A link to the tabloids harassing him and his family in Vermont
Thanks for those links. I had no idea that level of harassment went on!

JMO

The gun that AB fired was certainly pointed at the victims because they were struck by the bullet.

Even if the gun did "misfire" and I'm not convinced that happened, if AB had not pointed the gun at the victims per the SAG safety bulletin, no one would have been injured or killed. JMO.
The gun was pointed toward the CAMERA. The victims were the Director of photography and another Director.

When a gun misfires, it means the gun isn't under control. I have no reason not to believe the many media reports about the gun misfires on that movie set.

JMO

JMO

Link, please, that the bullet that killed HH & injured JS was the result of a "misfire."

jmho ymmv lrr

Link, please, that the bullet that killed HH & injured JS was the result of a "misfire."

jmho ymmv lrr
I included the link in my posting. I have no reason not to believe NBC news.

JMO

Oct. 22, 2021, 5:17 PM CDT / Updated Oct. 22, 2021, 8:01 PM CDT
By Andrew Blankstein, Steven Louie, Diana Dasrath and Corky Siemaszko

A misfire is experienced as the complete failure of a cartridge to fire when the trigger is pulled and the hammer or firing pin falls.
If the gun AB used on the set of "Rust" had misfired then no one would have been harmed. A misfire is the failure of a gun to fire a bullet, not a discharge or firing of the gun which is what happened in this case. JMO.

I included the link in my posting. I have no reason not to believe NBC news.

JMO

Oct. 22, 2021, 5:17 PM CDT / Updated Oct. 22, 2021, 8:01 PM CDT
By Andrew Blankstein, Steven Louie, Diana Dasrath and Corky Siemaszko

The linked article indeed states "had misfired before."

Before.

Where is it published that the pistol "misfired" in AB's hand in the set church during "blocking" of the cross draw, killing HH & injuring JS?

I cannot find any indication of that in the linked article.

jmho ymmv lrr

If the gun AB used on the set of "Rust" had misfired then no one would have been harmed. A misfire is the failure of a gun to fire a bullet, not a discharge or firing of the gun which is what happened in this case. JMO.

The journalists are using the term "misfire" because the general public would not be familiar with the term, "hangfire" which is far more dangerous and is likely what happened in this case.
JMO

From your link:
Any time the hammer or firing pin falls and the gun fails to fire, a hangfire should be assumed.

The firearm should not be opened or unloaded, but should be kept pointing in a safe direction for 60 seconds with a modern cartridge—and two minutes for a muzzleloader. This is sufficient time for any hangfire to complete ignition. If one minute passes and the gun does not discharge, the situation is actually a misfire.

The journalists are using the term "misfire" because the general public would not be familiar with the term, "hangfire" which is far more dangerous and is likely what happened in this case.
JMO

From your link:
Any time the hammer or firing pin falls and the gun fails to fire, a hangfire should be assumed.

The firearm should not be opened or unloaded, but should be kept pointing in a safe direction for 60 seconds with a modern cartridge—and two minutes for a muzzleloader. This is sufficient time for any hangfire to complete ignition. If one minute passes and the gun does not discharge, the situation is actually a misfire.

@RANCH 's link above still applies:

Hangfire would likely have saved HH's life.

Hangfire means that the projectile does not leave the firearm.

As I understand this event, the bullet did indeed leave the barrel, passed through HH, entered JS, and came to rest within his body.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back