Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from the insane roadside interview with paps pretty close in date after the shooting:

106970778-1636036829826-gettyimages-1236259435-775591919.jpeg

This is the interview with ABC’s George Stephenopolous:

1638623483528_tdy_news_7a_alec_baldwin_rust_211204_1920x1080-6eg3ko.jpg

This is from 2022 in the UK:

53926547-10489985-Farewell_Alec_Baldwin_said_goodbye_to_rural_Hampshire_on_Tuesday-a-1_1644397521295.jpg

This was about a year ago 2023 from his Instagram:

alec-baldwin-gets-dragged-by-instagram-followers-062723-tout-2ab13b2429d6444d8040466190d61343.jpg

This was April 2024 when he was harassed by that crazy woman at the coffee shop:

83996297-13340679-image-a-4_1713890263486.jpg

He looks the same to me in all of these. He’s in his 60s and this has to be an extremely stressful situation for him. But he’s alive. Halyna is not so it’s hard to feel too sorry for him.

I’m sure his 8 lawyers will pull all the stops. Jury consultants, image consultants all the works. It will make him look too remote and untouchable, which won’t help him. He needs to come with 1 lawyer and appear humble. I don’t know if he can manage that.

JMO

IMG_2640.png

"Alec Baldwin, 66,

WILL go to trial

after judge denied a motion to dismiss actor's involuntary manslaughter case

following death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Rust set."

View attachment 505743

When I zoomed in it made me think that he looks like Jack Nicholson.

The judge may feel that he can’t let him escape the trial because most everyone has seen or heard about his anger over the years and he would get flack for letting him go.

Considering that he was ordered to go to Anger Management and at one point his wife kicked him out over it, has to be part of the Judges decision. imo

Halls has come in for harsh criticism for two actions just prior to the shooting. First, according to the widely reported narrative, Halls took the gun from Gutierrez Reed and handed it to Baldwin. Second, he declared it a “cold gun,” meaning it did not carry an explosive charge.

But in his deposition, Halls denied that he had done either of those things.

Halls testified that he checked the gun with Gutierrez Reed — as was their typical practice — and then she was the one who handed it directly to Baldwin.

He also said he did not announce that it was a “cold gun.”

“I don’t have any recollection of me saying that,” Halls said. “I have recollections of Hannah saying it.”

From what I recall of the HGR trial, the prosecution believes that Reed was outside the church and it was Dave Halls that actually handed the gun to Baldwin, even though he denied it.

Also, my understanding is that whenever a gun is handed to an actor, something needs to be said: "cold gun", "safe weapon", "quarter load", etc. so that everyone on set knows what's in the firearm. You're never supposed to just quietly pass it over. Of course that would just be another in the long list of violations of best practices on the Rust set.

I just don’t understand how this happened. There was no reason for the gun to be loaded with anything at all for rehearsal. There should have been a barrier between crew and the weapon. It should not have been pointed directly at anyone. It should have been checked by HGR/Halls and handed off immediately following the check, not grabbed from a cart.

Prosecutor's Previous Offer to AB?
.... As for the prosecution, I've read about 3 different versions of their story of the alleged plea deal. JMO, its always best to wait and see what the parties have to say in court....
snipped for focus @Betty P

Is ^ post predicting that the prosecution's offer (possibly defense's response?) will be revealed in court?

I just don’t understand how this happened. There was no reason for the gun to be loaded with anything at all for rehearsal. There should have been a barrier between crew and the weapon. It should not have been pointed directly at anyone. It should have been checked by HGR/Halls and handed off immediately following the check, not grabbed from a cart.

I was wondering about that during HGR's trial. She kept talking about putting in dummies, etc. There was no need for dummies because it was rehearsal/blocking only. The gun should have been empty. I was wondering if AB and the others also assumed it was empty, if that's why Halyna instructed AB to point the gun towards the camera so she could see how to best block the shot. It would be interesting to hear some clarification on that question: why was the gun loaded with anything and did everyone realize HGR had loaded something into it? Unless I missed something, I don't think that question was answered during HGR's trial. New Mexico trials are strange, JMO, based on what I've seen at this one.

Prosecutor's Previous Offer to AB?

snipped for focus @Betty P

Is ^ post predicting that the prosecution's offer (possibly defense's response?) will be revealed in court?

It's become my SOP regarding trials: I'm skeptical of anything I read in the news media before a trial. The real facts will come out during a trial when there are boundaries, rules for evidence and procedure, supervised by a judge. In trial, both sides are restricted to presenting evidence that's fair, relevant and accurate. For that reason, stories sometimes change.

"Cold Gun" Statement?

Halls has come in for harsh criticism for two actions just prior to the shooting. First, according to the widely reported narrative, Halls took the gun from Gutierrez Reed and handed it to Baldwin. Second, he declared it a “cold gun,” meaning it did not carry an explosive charge.

But in his deposition, Halls denied that he had done either of those things.

Halls testified that he checked the gun with Gutierrez Reed — as was their typical practice — and then she was the one who handed it directly to Baldwin.

He also said he did not announce that it was a “cold gun.”

“I don’t have any recollection of me saying that,” Halls said. “I have recollections of Hannah saying it.”
@Cool Cats :) TYVM for your response w link stating, that in his deposition with attorneys from NM Occupational Health and Safety Bureau, Halls said he did not announce "cold gun." “I don’t have any recollection of me saying that.”

Article also contained this quote:
"Joel Souza... told police that Halls announced a “cold gun” while they were filming EARLIER in the day. But Souza, who was struck in the shoulder by the bullet, said he did not remember if Halls had also said it just prior to the shooting." *[<- I added CAPS]

And this from HGR:
"In her deposition, Gutierrez Reed said she never uses the term “cold gun.”
“I don’t like the term ‘cold gun."

Early on those three did NOT corroborate any stmt AB did make/may have made about being told it was a "cold gun."

.... It's become my SOP regarding trials: I'm skeptical of anything I read in the news media before a trial. The real facts will come out during a trial when there are boundaries, rules for evidence and procedure, supervised by a judge. In trial, both sides are restricted to presenting evidence that's fair, relevant and accurate. For that reason, stories sometimes change.
snipped for focus @Betty P Thx for responding.

Gotta agree about being skeptical about pre-trial coverage.
Answers given under oath to cross examination can be verrry enlightening.

I was wondering about that during HGR's trial. She kept talking about putting in dummies, etc. There was no need for dummies because it was rehearsal/blocking only. The gun should have been empty. I was wondering if AB and the others also assumed it was empty, if that's why Halyna instructed AB to point the gun towards the camera so she could see how to best block the shot. It would be interesting to hear some clarification on that question: why was the gun loaded with anything and did everyone realize HGR had loaded something into it? Unless I missed something, I don't think that question was answered during HGR's trial. New Mexico trials are strange, JMO, based on what I've seen at this one.

It's become my SOP regarding trials: I'm skeptical of anything I read in the news media before a trial. The real facts will come out during a trial when there are boundaries, rules for evidence and procedure, supervised by a judge. In trial, both sides are restricted to presenting evidence that's fair, relevant and accurate. For that reason, stories sometimes change.
I may be misremembering, but I think it was mentioned during the trial or one of the police interviews that AB always wanted dummies in his gun, so it looked more authentic, or in case the test footage turned out well enough to be used in the movie.
I might be wrong. Maybe HGR just got in the (bad) habit of always loading dummies no matter what was called for.

I may be misremembering, but I think it was mentioned during the trial or one of the police interviews that AB always wanted dummies in his gun, so it looked more authentic, or in case the test footage turned out well enough to be used in the movie.
I might be wrong. Maybe HGR just got in the (bad) habit of always loading dummies no matter what was called for.
Maybe we'll find out the real answer at trial, when everyone has to testify under oath and prosecution and defense have to present evidence and make arguments while supervised by the judge.

The prosecution better be ready. AB has deep pockets, and I have no doubt he has had a team of attorneys working on this case. In this case, I think that the defense may be more likely to win than the prosecution. The case is murky, and both HGR and DH have been convicted.

If they go after AB, as the actor, I don't see a win. If they go after AB as the producer, there are other producers, who have not been charged. So, I am not sure about their case.

First, let me say, AGAIN, as someone with extensive firearms knowledge and experience, that I don't think AB should be charged for anything he did as an actor holding the gun at that moment. The shooting was, IMO, that 1% unicorn circumstance where the person holding the gun wasn't the one at fault. In that moment, he was no more responsible than the poor guy who pulled the trigger on Brandon Lee. Michael Massee didn't kill him, despite his guilt, the people who gave him a loaded (sorta) gun did that. Movie and TV sets have armorers and safety protocols because actors often HAVE to break firearm handling rules.

What he did as lead actor and big dog on set, setting a culture that ignored safety rules, and as a producer and his involvement with hiring unqualified people, I think he should be charged. And I think the film and TV industry would benefit from that because it would put a crack in the culture where the big dog on set can ignore the rules or bully people into breaking them. But we don't live in a perfect world and if the charges against him for actually pulling the trigger are the only justice the Hutchins family gets, I can live with that.

If AB lawyers did respond or acknowledge the plea offer before doing a media interview, and Morrissey says they didn't, that would be super easy for AB lawyers to prove by simply showing an email or call log. And for something like this, the lawyers should be documenting every communication that have with opposing counsel.

It's bad behavior by AB lawyers, if true, that demonstrates that they have no intention of doing anything in good faith, and more than enough justification to revoke the plea offer. If it's not true, it's easy to disprove. Either way, it's going to determine who I believe going forward.

And that doesn't account for the whole documentary drama. It's scummy and more than a little suspicious that someone pending criminal charges has communications with possible witnesses over a documentary about the incident. Especially someone who has the ability to blacklist crew members. Think the key grip is going to get job offers if AB starts bad mouthing him by name at parties?
I see where you're coming from with this but I don't really agree. Michael Massee is, imo, far less culpable than Baldwin. Although ostensibly similar, the two cases differ in significant details.

The chain of events in that case, as far as I can piece together, was that the gun wasn't out of sight of MM and that he personally witnessed the blanks being loaded into it after the dummies were removed and dumped into a bucket. Seeing the gun being loaded - or showing it as empty - is part of the protocol that we've heard about so much. Checking the bore for obstructions wasn't part of it and, indeed, was introduced in direct response to Brandon Lee's death, as far as I have always been aware.

AB did not check at all. He had no idea what was (or wasn't) in the gun, whether it had an obstructed bore or anything about its state of readiness or safety. He allegedly had a history of not paying attention in the firearms safety classes and doing other reckless things with guns.

Michael Massee seems to have done what was needed to employ a reasonable level of safety to the best of his ability. AB did absolutely zero due diligence, proceeded to point a gun at someone, pulled the trigger and killed that person and seriously wounded another.

Til now it seems there is no solid clue or evidence about the legal wranglings after the shooting death of HH. But if there was some agreement or offer, and the legal team couldn’t keep tight or quiet on that……. well better stop here. And also not clear whether it was the legal team advice or a client preference that got this to this point. Might be both, and IMO doesn’t reflect well on either.

IANAL nor a gun or firearms expert. But I have had lawyers representing me on several things over the years. And up thread I gave my thoughts on the supposed ‘documentary’. IMO seemed to be a veiled attempt to get information on others perspective and ‘lock them in’ and even if not on the record…… might be difficult to ‘untie’ once given. MOO

View attachment 505907

When I zoomed in it made me think that he looks like Jack Nicholson.

The judge may feel that he can’t let him escape the trial because most everyone has seen or heard about his anger over the years and he would get flack for letting him go.

Considering that he was ordered to go to Anger Management and at one point his wife kicked him out over it, has to be part of the Judges decision. imo
I don't see how AB's alleged anger has anything to do with this trial though? He wasn't angry at HH and that wasn't part of his motivation in this accidental shooting. It's not like he intentionally shot her. MOO.
ETA: If someone shoved a camera in my face and cornered me in a store, then I'd get angry too for being harassed by an unhinged person! Any person would feel trapped in that circumstance and the flight or fight response would kick in naturally. It's just how we're designed. MOO.

I don't see how AB's alleged anger has anything to do with this trial though? He wasn't angry at HH and that wasn't part of his motivation in this accidental shooting. It's not like he intentionally shot her. MOO.
ETA: If someone shoved a camera in my face and cornered me in a store, then I'd get angry too for being harassed by an unhinged person! Any person would feel trapped in that circumstance and the flight or fight response would kick in naturally. It's just how we're designed. MOO.

His anger is irrelevant in this case against him .... 2 cents

I do believe that AB has an anger problem. I have no idea if that will play any role in the trial. If others felt intimidated or afraid to slow down and do their jobs on set because they feared the executive producer, maybe that’s a thing.
I would also say that AB has a camera shoved in his face on the regular. I’m not saying it’s right, but it happens with celebrities. AB chose to fight, and stuck around to engage. He does it a lot. I know he did not mean to shoot Halyna. I think he lied when he adamantly stated he did not pull the trigger. He does himself no favors when he speaks.

This defense filing is interesting but I do not know if the judge will allow this into his trial. Seems prejudicial to me. Also could be hearsay.

In a public filing released Monday, April 8, and obtained by PEOPLE, New Mexico state prosecutors wrote that Baldwin, 66, was “inattentive” during firearms training and “frequently screaming and cursing” on the set of the western movie prior to the 2021 incident in which a gun he was holding fired, killing cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injuring director Joel Souza.

“To watch Mr Baldwin’s conduct on the set of Rust is to witness a man who has absolutely no control of his own emotions and absolutely no concern for how his conduct affects those around him,” wrote Kari T. Morrissey and Jason J. Lewis. “Witnesses have testified that it was this exact conduct that contributed to safety compromises on set.”

'Rust' Prosecutors Claim Armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed Is A 'Danger To The Community' Amid Appeal Attempt​

Tue, May 28, 2024 at 6:05 PM EDT

According to court documents obtained by The Blast, the State of New Mexico placed a three-page filing on May 27 arguing against the armorer’s chance for an appeal.

The document opens noting that Hannah Gutierrez-Reed may be released pending appeal if the Court finds “clear and convincing evidence that the person is not likely to flee or pose a danger to the safety of any other person or the community if released.”

“The history of Ms. Gutierrez’s time in New Mexico is troubling,” the filing states. “Ms. Gutierrez was only present in New Mexico for less than four weeks and there is evidence that she committed three felony offenses during that time.”

I do believe that AB has an anger problem. I have no idea if that will play any role in the trial. If others felt intimidated or afraid to slow down and do their jobs on set because they feared the executive producer, maybe that’s a thing.
I would also say that AB has a camera shoved in his face on the regular. I’m not saying it’s right, but it happens with celebrities. AB chose to fight, and stuck around to engage. He does it a lot. I know he did not mean to shoot Halyna. I think he lied when he adamantly stated he did not pull the trigger. He does himself no favors when he speaks.
So, are you thinking that if AB was angry much of the time on the set, that others felt so intimidated that they failed to perform their duties properly just to please him and make him less angry? I can see them perhaps tiptoeing around him if he freaked out a lot. But that doesn't translate to HGR bringing bullets onto the set and loading them because she was afraid of his anger.
I think AB will have a lot to answer to for pointing that gun at HH and firing it.
I don't know of AB's other situations with expressing his anger, but this particular situation with this person in NYC was not normal because they were demanding he proclaim a political statement before they would leave him alone. It was bizarre! I think that other person must have a mental illness IMO. And AB did try to escape that person and yet they just harped on him and followed him out the door. I don't blame him for his reaction one bit. He did his best IMO to deescalate the situation and that person wouldn't let it go.
MOO.

So, are you thinking that if AB was angry much of the time on the set, that others felt so intimidated that they failed to perform their duties properly just to please him and make him less angry? I can see them perhaps tiptoeing around him if he freaked out a lot. But that doesn't translate to HGR bringing bullets onto the set and loading them because she was afraid of his anger.
I think AB will have a lot to answer to for pointing that gun at HH and firing it.
I don't know of AB's other situations with expressing his anger, but this particular situation with this person in NYC was not normal because they were demanding he proclaim a political statement before they would leave him alone. It was bizarre! I think that other person must have a mental illness IMO. And AB did try to escape that person and yet they just harped on him and followed him out the door. I don't blame him for his reaction one bit. He did his best IMO to deescalate the situation and that person wouldn't let it go.
MOO.
From what I've read so far, I don't think his anger is directly relevant per-se but it, along with his general attitude and apparent arrogance, it's one of the things adding to the mix of circumstances which contributed to this shooting.

I think that the prosecution is going to put forward a case along the lines of;

You have a history of pleasing yourself as to what you do, such as not attending safety meetings and allowing yourself to be distracted when you did. You are known to have flouted the rules on occasion which you definitely did in this case because you did not check the gun or witness it being checked, as per the protocol, and you then pointed it at someone when it was not essential to do so.

The fact that this gun was loaded incorrectly by someone else is irrelevant because you did not know that it had been so loaded and you made no effort to satisfy yourself, as far as is reasonably practicable, that it was safe. You took no action what-so-ever to ensure the safety of yourself or others as regards the use of that firearm. That is the very definition of a negligent action

Just my feelings on how they'll proceed but we'll have to wait and see. If he's constantly angry then that leads to a toxic atmosphere which is not conducive to operating in an environment where firearms are present as if someone isn't following the rules it makes it much more difficult for them to be called out on it, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildkey517