Health, Hygiene and Safety Tips for living under Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
it is more important for him to wear a mask then you, though you should wear one too.
we are in southwest florida too and as you know it has been really hot and humid for
the past month or so.
I agree but I don’t have any masks to give him. I made the Smile Mask with the plastic window and I will wear it. I spent most of the last 6 months without heat or air. I have it set on fan only. When it was nice, I opened the doors. When it was cold I used a ceramic heater. I’ve got all the ceiling fans going plus an oscillating fan. Yesterday, it was blowing hot air so I just shut it off. I turned it back on last night and it blew cool, not cold air. It has taken me all this time to find money for a new system. It will be another week before he can fit me in.

Attachments

• 77C5BC6B-C0BE-4960-A80B-CAAA160B332A.jpeg
    77C5BC6B-C0BE-4960-A80B-CAAA160B332A.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 17
We are heading to Corpus Christi (from North Texas) for a week on Thursday. We will be distancing our whole visit. Can anyone recommend best practices for gas station/bathroom stops? I am thinking gloves worn only in the bathroom and then immediately disposed of...what else? And where to get gloves? :/
I second Bucees. I just did my driving trip for work. They have someone in the bathroom cleaning constantly, all employees wear masks, there is hand sanitizer available outside the bathrooms but a good wash with soap and water should do the trick when your in there. If you can get gloves, single glove it at the pump. Touch things everyone else touches with the gloved hand, touch your stuff with the nongloved hand. Or plastic bag. If you decide to get beverages, remember to disinfect (grab some hand sanitizer on your way by). I took some paper towel with me from bathroom to hold in my hand to grab the cooler doors then disposed of it. Their fudge is amazing, personally recommend the red velvet, it can be cut into small pieces and frozen.

I agree but I don’t have any masks to give him. I made the Smile Mask with the plastic window and I will wear it. I spent most of the last 6 months without heat or air. I have it set on fan only. When it was nice, I opened the doors. When it was cold I used a ceramic heater. I’ve got all the ceiling fans going plus an oscillating fan. Yesterday, it was blowing hot air so I just shut it off. I turned it back on last night and it blew cool, not cold air. It has taken me all this time to find money for a new system. It will be another week before he can fit me in.

i dont know where you are in southwest florida-- i called several medical
supply businesses until i finally found one that has masks-- San Carlos Pharmacy in Fort
Myers carries masks and gloves too. you have a week to try and find masks-- good luck-
at least you have protection for yourself

Has anyone had to have any workers in your house recently? I need to have an electrician do some work and I'm not sure how to handle it.
Most of the ones I’ve talked to in the electrical or HVAC line of work are wearing masks. Make a call and ask so they will know ahead of time. I’ve seen some wearing gloves also. Electricians do remove gloves to perform certain tasks.
Are you in the US? I will mail you an extra mask or two if that would help.

Most of the ones I’ve talked to in the electrical or HVAC line of work are wearing masks. Make a call and ask so they will know ahead of time. I’ve seen some wearing gloves also. Electricians do remove gloves to perform certain tasks.
Are you in the US? I will mail you an extra mask or two if that would help.

That so kind of you. I have a couple of boxes of N95's so I'm good on masks. I'm going to try to remember to ask them if the electrician will be wearing a mask--I hope so because I don't really want to give away my N95's.

The aide brought some extra masks - I will mail you one or two if you are concerned.
Just thought I would offer if you’re interested. ;)

The aide brought some extra masks - I will mail you one or two if you are concerned.
Just thought I would offer if you’re interested. ;)
Thank you for your offer.
I’m going to see what happens during his visit tomorrow. When they come to do the actual replacement, I will insist they wear them around me.

I am having a package unit installed which means it is outside, not in a closet, attic or garage. They have to replace the ductwork because it is original (30+ yrs) to the house. They have to move the return also. That means drywall dust. Ugh. This is the last big ticket item to be replaced. Thankfully.

Has anyone had to have any workers in your house recently? I need to have an electrician do some work and I'm not sure how to handle it.
We've had a plumber and pest control. (We live in SC -- bugs galore -- and Palmetto Bugs can get to be a problem when it rains. We requested they only treat the outside when our first routine service since the lockdown popped up, but we had them come in last week.) Plumber wore a mask but pest control guy didn't. He was in and out fairly quickly, so I think we should be okay. Luckily, the number of cases in my county is relatively low (382 w/ about 22K permanent residents -- but it's a tourist town w/ around 200,000 visiting on any given normal day in the summer -- and only 7 in my zip code). That seems miraculous, really. I know the second we all let our guard down that number will shoot right up, so I'm trying to stay vigilant.

I am SO annoyed. My state is "open", everything. Gyms, salons, kids went back to school. Okay, so, how come the library is still closed?

Just saying.

The jury is still out on whether or not the virus can survive on surfaces. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to disinfect books, CDs/DVDs, videos, magazines, etc. whenever patrons handle these items. The same goes for book stores. It might be a while before these venues can reopen safely.

The jury is still out on whether or not the virus can survive on surfaces. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to disinfect books, CDs/DVDs, videos, magazines, etc. whenever patrons handle these items. The same goes for book stores. It might be a while before these venues can reopen safely.

I don't worry too much about surfaces. I believe there is a very lo risk regarding this issue. the important thing is if you touch any surface to wash your hands and don't touch your face.

I truly miss my library. It will be very difficult for them to reopen. The closest location to me had a lot of after school activities. I don’t know what those kids are going to do this summer. It’s the poorest part of town and it is such a safe space for them.

RedBox is open to rent DVD's. Which is interesting.

I am too. I just don't get it. The other day, we go into T-Mobile, it states clearly on the door, with a sign that face masks are required. We mask up, and go in. No one else is wearing a mask in the store, aside from the clerk.

So? We go to Costco, everyone has to wear a mask to enter the store.

I don't know, where is the time machine so I can go back to 1980?

Ugh, T-Mobile. Mine also has the sign on the door. I have been in twice in the last three weeks. One of the employees had his bandanna down around his neck the first time we were in there, and only covering his mouth the second time. I complained about him when they sent me their usual "how did we do" text.

While not a personal experience, I think this is something that we can all relate to. DH talked to one of his Ohio customers this morning. Restaurants in Ohio opened over the holiday weekend, and she and her husband went out to eat at their favorite place. The ambiance was apparently quite uncomfortable with diners spaced carefully, plexiglass partitions between booths, servers wearing masks, etc. They did not enjoy the dining out experience and will not return any time soon.

As much as DH and I would like to go out for an anniversary dinner next month, we won't go unless we know that Picano's (favorite Italian) takes absolutely every precaution to keep patrons safe without it becoming an unpleasant dining experience. We've been going to Picano's in Troy since they opened in January, 1985. We go there more than any other restaurant and have always had amazing food and service. They were not offering carryout until last week, so even if we're unable to have dinner there on our anniversary, maybe we will get takeout to enjoy at home.

I keep hearing media reports about how anxious people are to return to some normalcy in their lives, but I have a feeling that not everyone is willing to endanger their health by rushing into environments that might not be safe. Restaurants are high on my list of places to avoid, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Considering the great care and concern that people here have shown with their own grocery shopping and food preparation, I think we all know that keeping professional kitchens and dining rooms safe from virus contamination is going to be a major challenge. DH and I will not even consider going to a restaurant if we can't be certain that we will be safe.

Happy anniversary! Our 24th was last week. Our four teens made and served us a fancy dinner at home. <3

We had AT&T here a few weeks ago. He wore a mask the whole time. I did not even think to, I'm sorry to say, but I did reassure him that we have been strictly distancing. He seemed to appreciate it, and reassured me with all the precautions he is taking.

I am SO annoyed. My state is "open", everything. Gyms, salons, kids went back to school. Okay, so, how come the library is still closed?

Just saying.

Where are schools open? I didn't know anyone had that. Fort Worth libraries are "open", but only a few branches and only by appointment to pick up holds curbside.

A/C guys came today. Not wearing masks but they were very careful about distancing and they were glad I was wearing my mask. They told me all the steps, what they have to do to bring everything up to code. They will get me on their schedule late next week. Hopefully it will be one day unless theres a problem getting the new vents in place.

I’m ready to have it over with and have that UV light installed. I can tell the system is dirty because the dust is dirty. Not just dust either, like flecks of dirt. It passed an inspection when I bought the house too. It was not an expense I was expecting this quickly.

Tomorrow I will begin deep cleaning once our foster dog is with her new family.

DH received email below from gym with protocols when they reopen. I'm not currently a member, and I'm not sure that I will renew my membership after I complete physical therapy for bursitis in my right hip. DH mostly uses the aquatic center and plans to return when the facility reopens. All memberships were suspended during the virus shutdown, and I suspect that there will be many people who will not return. I'm sure there are members in all age ranges, but during the times that I was at the gym (or DH in the pool), we mostly saw seniors. I'm not sure that I will ever feel comfortable about using gym equipment, free weights, or participating in group exercise classes, and I feel certain that I'm not alone with my concerns.

...The health and safety of our members and staff is our top priority, and we’ve implemented new safety measures you’ll see when the club does reopen, including

• Extensive cleaning protocols that enhance our ongoing commitment to providing a clean and sanitary environment for our members
    • Continuous disinfection of all high touch surfaces in the club
    • Deep cleaning after the club closes each day
    • Training for staff on cleaning protocols
  • Physical distancing procedures to ensure members maintain a safe distance at all times
    • Equipment spaced out to provide more distance between members
    • Floor decals in group ex studios and front entrance to identify safe distance
  • Self-cleaning stations easily accessible to members throughout the club
    • Increased number of hand sanitizing stations
    • Increased number of disinfectant gym wipes
    • Cleaning equipment after use is now part of everyone’s cool down
  • Screening members and staff when they enter the club
    • Screening questions will be asked regarding travel out of the country and symptoms of illness
    • Non-contact thermometers will be used to check temperature
We are confident that we will provide a clean, sanitary and safe environment for you and our staff, and look forward to reopening.

As we continue to monitor state and federal regulations, we will provide updates, and let you know when we get the green light to reopen...

This picture shows how 9 people in a restaurant got the coronavirus thanks to the placement of an air conditioning unit

Cross posting because this is so important.

Wearing my mask today at work. 8 hours. I better get used to it. 15 minutes, I want to tear it off.

Be sure to lower your mask for a few seconds to breathe in fresh air. I had my PT session this morning and took "mask breaks" following each set of stretches. I did a few exercises at the barre, but most of my stretches are done on a table (on my back, side, or tummy). Even though I'm not moving around much, my face gets very warm, and I need to lower the mask to cool off. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for the therapists who are wearing masks for hours at a time. My PT takes breaths occasionally, too. I can't imagine working out or participating in an exercise class in the gym while wearing a mask.

Here are the reopening guidelines for the mall where I would go if I had the desire to shop right now. I don't, and I doubt that I will want to go to a mall any time in the foreseeable future.

SAFETY FIRST

Restarting Smart

Somerset Collection has implemented guidelines that exceed the recommendations set forth by the State of Michigan and Oakland County. We are encouraging merchants to abide by these measures as well. Please note, each merchant adheres to guidelines determined by their corporate offices...

Safety First - Somerset Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member