Heat Exposure: Schools Near Palm Springs

Perry2

Reaction score
I know some people on here are really good at web sleuthing. Can anybody figure out:
1. How to obtain the audio recording of a school board meeting?
2. Who voted for or against a school calendar that was approved?

The school district in Palm Springs approved a calendar for next year with school starting on August 5 despite complaints from parents about heat exposure. It can break 120 F here in the desert. I can only find the calendar and meeting agenda:

https://palmsprings.agendaonline.ne...achment.aspx?AttachmentID=1111286&IsArchive=0

https://palmsprings.agendaonline.ne...etingID=75107&AgencyTypeID=1&IsArchived=False

It appears at this point that local media will not cover this issue. I don't know if children actually walk 1.5 miles as shown on some bus maps (non-service yellow areas: Transportation Services / Service Area Maps ), but I know of some kids who have walked 3/4 of a mile in the heat. Parents have said there has been heat illness at school. I believe this issue may extend to other schools in hot regions with the financial pressure of standardized test scores. Humidity might be increasing in desert areas.

The calendar was approved in November.
https://www.psusd.us/site/handlers/...e=2020-2021_DistrictCalendar_BOE_11-26-19.pdf

But it looks like the last minutes posted are from May. I can’t tell if the votes of the members are listed. There don’t seem to be many school board meetings.
Citizens' Oversight Committee / Meeting Agendas and Minutes

So you may have to contact the School District Office to get the information you need. I’ve always thought it was strange that really hot areas like Phoenix AZ start school in August.

That's the Citizens' Oversight Commitee.

I heard there's research showing a shorter summer break improves test scores, but that research was probably not done in extremely hot climates. Unfortunately, I think it's being applied in hot climates. Heat exposure could be lowering test scores by permanently impairing short-term memory, attention span, and problem-solving, so the shorter summer breaks could actually have the opposite effect of what is intended.

That's the Citizens' Oversight Commitee.

I heard there's research showing a shorter summer break improves test scores, but that research was probably not done in extremely hot climates. Unfortunately, I think it's being applied in hot climates. Heat exposure could be lowering test scores by permanently impairing short-term memory, attention span, and problem-solving, so the shorter summer breaks could actually have the opposite effect of what is intended.

Hmmmm...that’s what I got when I googled the school board. But I assume you’ve gone as far as you can go that way, so contacting the school district will be your best hope.

My husband taught school for 30 years, not in particularly hot climates, but September could still be pretty warm. Classrooms weren’t air-conditioned, so he would bring fans from home to move the air. It was still pretty tough to teach in the afternoon, and hard for the kids to learn. Palm Springs and Phoenix are hot from May to October, but starting school in August is nuts! I can’t imagine letting them go outside for recess when it’s over 100 degrees.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back