Help us find "The Human Fly". This is Websleuths' chance to show law enforcement what we can do!!!

In 1975, I met Rick Rojatt, the Human Fly, who was always in his Spiderman-style costume, even at the T.G.I. Friday's bar after the show in Lancaster, Texas. When he started moaning about his ride on top of a DC-8 airliner—how dangerous it was, how he thought he would not survive—I sipped my beer and thought, What a crybaby! How soon can I politely wander off to talk to the Red Devils or one of the cute and macho military pilots?

Download all the covers as JPG (zipped) format 2.21Mb. * including jpeg example of all the Human Fly Covers
1685726337371.jpeg

I’m having so many flashbacks. My first baby was born in February 1977 so I was so big I could hardly walk when this came out. It’s gonna take me awhile to go through these pages. Anyone wanna help?
*eta: y’all take it from here. I’ve got to get out here and water my garden before it gets too hot.
I DO often wonder when you take breaks, @imstilla.grandma ! Talk to your flowers about this case!

You are "officially" boots-on-the-ground.
LOL - I can try, currently I have a bit of knee injury that keeps me from doing too much boots on the ground, but I'm trying to see what I can find out. I am not far from 4th Street and 5th ave right now. I doubt he would still be there but I may take a walk down there later today :)

LOL - I can try, currently I have a bit of knee injury that keeps me from doing too much boots on the ground, but I'm trying to see what I can find out. I am not far from 4th Street and 5th ave right now. I doubt he would still be there but I may take a walk down there later today :)
1685732412447.png

John Fitzgerald, "As daredevils go, the Fly's the limit," Montreal Gazette, 3 August 1976, 29.
The_Gazette_1976_08_03_page_29.jpg
Several years ago, he says, he was involved in a near fatal automobile accident in the southern U.S.

His wife and child were killed and the Fly spent long months in hospital as doctors labored to rebuild his shattered frame.

Patricia Lowe, "Fly buzzes crippled kids," Montreal Star, 8 December 1976, A3.
The_Montreal_Star_1976_12_08_page_3.jpg
The Fly knows a lot about hospitals. He says he was badly injured in a car accident which took the life of his wife and four-year-old step-daughter seven years ago [1968 or 1969].

Beverly Mitchell, "Hobbling after Dallas stunt: Fly's wings clipped," Montreal Star, 30 September 1976, A3.
The_Montreal_Star_1976_09_30_page_3.jpg
"So far we've invested $125,000 in the Fly and we've earned only $5,000," promoter David Levine said at a news conference yesterday. "But the revenue will come from merchandising -- comic books, Halloween costumes, a TV series or perhaps a feature film.

[...]

Still, the Notre Dame de Grace native is neither discouraged nor deterred. As he pointed out, he bettered his own record of 15 minutes at 225 m.p.h. in the area, achieving 26 minutes at 250 m.p.h.

[...]

Joseph Ramacieri, a 27-year-old partner in Roma Food Products, who with his brother Dominique and a friend, Frank Perri, back the Fly's ventures, mentioned shark fights as another possible event.

Far from being a former Hollywood stuntman as Mr. Ramacieri and Mr. Levine had described him, the Fly says he worked in construction, "building swimming pools," before he decided to become Canada's answer to Evil Knievel.

He was inspired by spending four years in hospital recovering from a car accident that took the lives of his first wife and her child. He has since remarried.

"Human Fly to Attempt to Stand On DC-8 Taking Off at 300 MPH," Lexington Herald, 22 April 1977, A17.
_Human_Fly_to_Attempt_to_Stand_On_DC_8_Taking_Off_at_300_MPH_.jpg
Landing is a little "like getting hit by Dick Butkus," said the 29-year-old Canadian Fly, who claims to be a former Hollywood stuntman. He's attired in a mask, cape, and bright red tights and is nearly always accompanied by his bodyguard, Giuseppe "Mercury" Lemmo. Mercury is similarly attired.

Deborah Cipolla, "His career got off the ground," Arizona Daily Star [Tucson, AZ], 23 April 1977, C2.
Arizona_Daily_Star_1977_04_23_Page_7.jpg
Seven years ago, he said, he was paralyzed in a Nashville, Tenn., traffic accident that killed his wife and stepdaughter.

"I was dead from the neck down," he said.

Ken Ernhofer, "Human fly changing his tune," Montreal Gazette, 13 June 1979, 3.
The_Gazette_1979_06_13_page_3.jpg
"I'm working on putting together a rock band starring the Human Fly," said promoter David Levine, an agent who also represents Canadian singing star Lisa Dal Bello.

[...]

"The Fly spent the last year in New York, fooling around with musicians," said Joe Ramacieri, owner of a local sausage-making company, and president of Human Fly Spectaculars Ltd.

Looks like the Holy Grill is right on the corner. Great place to start asking! edit: the Grill closes at 2.

Maybe this has already been done, but if I were looking for Rick Rojatt / Rajotte, I’d look where he was last seen: amongst the homeless population of Calgary.

I’d also contact the author(s) of the Calgary Journal article(s) who interviewed him (from the article, Andrea Mihalik and Jessica Brady). At the very least it seems that one or both could tell you the location of the interview - which street corner, etc. You could circulate the photo of Rojatt / Rajotte that was taken as part of that article and show it to businesses, workers, the public, and any homeless still in the area.

Lastly, I got the impression from the article(s) that Rojatt / Rajotte had just gotten “new teeth”. So another place to check (showing the photo) would be with Calgary area dentists who were either doing pro bono work or work for public health agencies for those needing assistance at the time (13, ‘14, and ‘15).

Idk though. If Rojatt / Rajotte continued living on the streets of Calgary beyond 2015, and given that he would now be in his mid-seventies, and given that he would have had to have survived covid, my guess is that he is no longer with us.

All jmo

I don't have access to Ancestry (I know, I know I should by now!) but one of his two ex wives is mentioned in the Rajotte family tree so some contacts could be there....children...etc
  1. Gina Bluno

Gina Bluno from tree Shelley Rajotte family tree (Private)
    Record information.
    Birth1954 Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Italy
    No publicly available family members
    6 People0 Records0 Sources
    Contact Tree Owner

Looks like the Holy Grill is right on the corner. Great place to start asking! edit: the Grill closes at 2.
I just got back from a quick walk down there. No street people in the area. I did see the Tim Hortons referenced in the article and took pictures of the area, which I attached. Off to do more Sleuthing!

Attachments

• 4th ave 5th Street SW.jpg
    4th ave 5th Street SW.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 4th St. 5th Ave SW.jpg
    4th St. 5th Ave SW.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 9
Maybe this has already been done, but if I were looking for Rick Rojatt / Rajotte, I’d look where he was last seen: amongst the homeless population of Calgary.

I’d also contact the author(s) of the Calgary Journal article(s) who interviewed him (from the article, Andrea Mihalik and Jessica Brady). At the very least it seems that one or both could tell you the location of the interview - which street corner, etc. You could circulate the photo of Rojatt / Rajotte that was taken as part of that article and show it to businesses, workers, the public, and any homeless still in the area.

Lastly, I got the impression from the article(s) that Rojatt / Rajotte had just gotten “new teeth”. So another place to check (showing the photo) would be with Calgary area dentists who were either doing pro bono work or work for public health agencies for those needing assistance at the time (13, ‘14, and ‘15).

Idk though. If Rojatt / Rajotte continued living on the streets of Calgary beyond 2015, and given that he would now be in his mid-seventies, and given that he would have had to have survived covid, my guess is that he is no longer with us.

All jmo
Agree with all this, it is my thinking as well about looking at the Calgary Homeless population. I was just on my lunch hour and didn't have much time. I knew it was slim slim slim he would be on the same street corning, but just in case...that is where I headed. I'll be keeping an eye out while I'm in Calgary. I also plan on trying to track down the authors of the article.

If, as @Rushspeculated, he is no longer with us (perhaps due to being unhoused for years, elderly, and a pandemic), what does Calgary (or other Canadian cities) do with deceased unhoused people? What type of records do they keep? Where or how are people buried? What steps do they take to locate and notify family?

Also, are there local groups that provide services for unhoused people? If you could find people working or volunteering with such groups for years, maybe someone would know or remember him.

MOO.

If, as @Rushspeculated, he is no longer with us (perhaps due to being unhoused for years, elderly, and a pandemic), what does Calgary (or other Canadian cities) do with deceased unhoused people? What type of records do they keep? Where or how are people buried? What steps do they take to locate and notify family?

Also, are there local groups that provide services for unhoused people? If you could find people working or volunteering with such groups for years, maybe someone would know or remember him.

MOO.
yes I agree, the homeless connections would be the best. Many potential connections in this article.
-----------------------------------------
“Relationships formed and sustained on the street can become as important, or more important, as biological families,” says Shaw. “When someone loses a member of their street family, the personal and community loss can be devastating."

John Fitzgerald, "As daredevils go, the Fly's the limit," Montreal Gazette, 3 August 1976, 29.
View attachment 426169
Several years ago, he says, he was involved in a near fatal automobile accident in the southern U.S.

His wife and child were killed and the Fly spent long months in hospital as doctors labored to rebuild his shattered frame.

Patricia Lowe, "Fly buzzes crippled kids," Montreal Star, 8 December 1976, A3.
View attachment 426179
The Fly knows a lot about hospitals. He says he was badly injured in a car accident which took the life of his wife and four-year-old step-daughter seven years ago [1968 or 1969].

Beverly Mitchell, "Hobbling after Dallas stunt: Fly's wings clipped," Montreal Star, 30 September 1976, A3.
View attachment 426184
"So far we've invested $125,000 in the Fly and we've earned only $5,000," promoter David Levine said at a news conference yesterday. "But the revenue will come from merchandising -- comic books, Halloween costumes, a TV series or perhaps a feature film.

[...]

Still, the Notre Dame de Grace native is neither discouraged nor deterred. As he pointed out, he bettered his own record of 15 minutes at 225 m.p.h. in the area, achieving 26 minutes at 250 m.p.h.

[...]

Joseph Ramacieri, a 27-year-old partner in Roma Food Products, who with his brother Dominique and a friend, Frank Perri, back the Fly's ventures, mentioned shark fights as another possible event.

Far from being a former Hollywood stuntman as Mr. Ramacieri and Mr. Levine had described him, the Fly says he worked in construction, "building swimming pools," before he decided to become Canada's answer to Evil Knievel.

He was inspired by spending four years in hospital recovering from a car accident that took the lives of his first wife and her child. He has since remarried.

"Human Fly to Attempt to Stand On DC-8 Taking Off at 300 MPH," Lexington Herald, 22 April 1977, A17.
View attachment 426168
Landing is a little "like getting hit by Dick Butkus," said the 29-year-old Canadian Fly, who claims to be a former Hollywood stuntman. He's attired in a mask, cape, and bright red tights and is nearly always accompanied by his bodyguard, Giuseppe "Mercury" Lemmo. Mercury is similarly attired.

Deborah Cipolla, "His career got off the ground," Arizona Daily Star [Tucson, AZ], 23 April 1977, C2.
View attachment 426181
Seven years ago, he said, he was paralyzed in a Nashville, Tenn., traffic accident that killed his wife and stepdaughter.

"I was dead from the neck down," he said.

Ken Ernhofer, "Human fly changing his tune," Montreal Gazette, 13 June 1979, 3.
View attachment 426167
"I'm working on putting together a rock band starring the Human Fly," said promoter David Levine, an agent who also represents Canadian singing star Lisa Dal Bello.

[...]

"The Fly spent the last year in New York, fooling around with musicians," said Joe Ramacieri, owner of a local sausage-making company, and president of Human Fly Spectaculars Ltd.
These are good clues!! I was finding soooo many articles on him. Maybe there are bits of truth amongst all his stories.

Could this be him going by the name of Joe?- singing, scroll down about 1/4, you tube blocks video it if not viewed through the site.
View attachment 426151
This is Joe Rameceri. He was one of the Roma brothers. He has now passed away. I have spoken to his wife and she ID-ed the Calgary panhandler as Rick. This Human Fly 101 film was made by the team we are working with in Canada, before Joe passed away.

So interesting. Love all the information everyone has found. I'm in Calgary, I work downtown. Has anyone reached out to the person who wrote the article and interviewed him? I'm going to see if I can do some digging now.
Yes, we are in touch with Cassie who wrote the article. She has said she will connect me with someone at the Calgary Journal to run a follow-up article about the fact we are looking for him, and if anyone has any info.

Great to have some local knowledge. Any suggestions on what we could do to find him would be amazing. I was thinking about paying someone to put up some posters for us to reach the homeless community.

Attachments

• RR POSTER .png
    RR POSTER .png
    525.6 KB · Views: 13

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members