Heroin Overdoses in U.S. Tripled since 2010

LMAO.

I was prescribed one, used what it took to get me thru the issue and that was it. My body never had any urge except to get thru the pain.

It was likely a slow release form with the new regulations - info included in the documentary.

Try it again with a different doctor and different form of the drug - it might go well, it might not. One person and their one experience is not representative of the masses.

I know this first hand. My beloved grandson, 19 years old, died of an overdose April 13 of this year.

The tox hasn't come back, but it is assumed it was a heroin/Xanax overdose. He wasn't suicidal, just wanted to get high.

His mother found him, and she is broken.

My only hope is that the young adults who attended the funeral see the grief and pain, and it dissuades some of them from doing the same thing.

I know this first hand. My beloved grandson, 19 years old, died of an overdose April 13 of this year.

The tox hasn't come back, but it is assumed it was a heroin/Xanax overdose. He wasn't suicidal, just wanted to get high.

My only hope is that the young adults who attended the funeral see the grief and pain, and it dissuades some of them from doing the same thing.

I'm so incredibly sorry for you, his mom and your entire family. [emoji1317]

I'm so sorry bluedivergirl. My deepest condolences of this tragic loss.

When the newest opioids came out back in the 90's (I believe), Big Pharma made a huge pitch that these were non-addictive. At the same time, the medical profession identified treating pain as being among the most important tools to deal with patients. They prescribed these opioids very liberally. Root canal pain- here's a thirty-day prescription. Boo-boo on your knee from falling- here's a script for 60 Vicodin. ETC...After 30 days, you're addicted. If you're a 60 year old granma, your doc will give you an unlimited number of scripts, and they don't call it addiction. If you're a 20 year old college student, you 'have' to buy them on the street. When you can't afford them, your friendly dealer suggests a cheaper alternative. And so it goes.

I read recently that there are over 100,000,000 Americans with chronic pain. Plenty of them are addicted, but they don't acknowledge it. Surely there are not 100,000,000 of us with chronic pain so severe that they need heavy duty narcotics to get thru life. Some of them sell the pills they don't really need.

And the government still classifies marijuana in the same category one as heroin.

Unfortunately, there are several errors in your post. It is NOT true that "Big Pharma" ever made a "huge pitch that these were non-addictive". Don't know where you ever got that perception but it is just not true. And it is unlikely that "boo-boo on our knee from falling - here's script for 60 Vicodin" was ever true except for an out-and-out "pill pusher".

100 million Americans with chronic pain? Hmmm.... "Plenty of them addicted, but they don't acknowledge it." Hmmm.....

Yes, there is a problem with opioid addiction in our country. Dealing with it effectively requires accurate information, not inaccurate hyperbole.

Oxycodone was first formulated in 1917 in Germany by Bayer. It was used as a replacement for heroin, which up until then was being used for pain control. Oxycodone has been used in the U. S. since around 1939. In 1996 OxyContin was introduced, which is a time release version of Oxycodone. In terms of pain control this was a breakthough, eliminating the "peaks and valleys" of pain management. It is always better to keep a steady amount of medication in the blood stream and OxyContin allows for that.

At some point those who become addicted to pain medication make a bad choice. They decide to take an extra pill or to take the next pill sooner than they should. Very, very few legitimate pain sufferers (latest estimates 0.04%) who take opioids will become addicted.

I personally know chronic pain patients who have been on steady, managed doses of opioids for years through a certified Pain Management Center. These people are not addicts and should not be thought of as such. There is a such a big difference between physical dependence and addiction. It is way too easy to blame doctors for overprescribing and "Big Pharma" for producing the medication.

The problem is with misuse of a valuable medication.

So sorry for your loss, I regret to say heroin OD's are common where I live too there is a very toxic element in Sarasota county which my husband and I avoid like the plague.

Unfortunately, there are several errors in your post. It is NOT true that "Big Pharma" ever made a "huge pitch that these were non-addictive". Don't know where you ever got that perception but it is just not true. And it is unlikely that "boo-boo on our knee from falling - here's script for 60 Vicodin" was ever true except for an out-and-out "pill pusher".

100 million Americans with chronic pain? Hmmm.... "Plenty of them addicted, but they don't acknowledge it." Hmmm.....

Yes, there is a problem with opioid addiction in our country. Dealing with it effectively requires accurate information, not inaccurate hyperbole.

BBM - in the documentary Heroin Explosion, a father tells the story of his teenage son requiring shoulder surgery for a sports injury and the doctor sending him home with 40 Percocet pills. The son needed 2. Fortunately the father knew not to leave the other 38 in the house with teens.

Excessive prescription imo - and the fathers.

BBM - in the documentary Heroin Explosion, a father tells the story of his teenage son requiring shoulder surgery for a sports injury and the doctor sending him home with 40 Percocet pills. The son needed 2. Fortunately the father knew not to leave the other 38 in the house with teens.

Excessive prescription imo - and the fathers.

Having been the Primary Care Nurse to numerous shoulder surgery patients over the years, having a patient who only required 2 Percocets post-surgically would be most unusual. I can only say that it must have been a very small surgery or the young man had an extraordinary tolerance to pain. Most all of my shoulder patients were having a rotator cuff repair and it is a painful surgery.

But if someone only needs two pills, then two it is. And yes, the remainder should be discarded, not stored in the home.

I have 4 different friends/family members some with heroin and opioid experiences and one a fatal tragedy and my experience.

In the 1990's I had a weird headache. It started in the front near my forehead and I could feel it move back toward the back of my head like a moving headache. I went to the Dr. as this was something I'd never experienced before. I received a prescription for Fentanyl 30 pills with a refill for "stress headaches". I was in my 30's.

Because I'm anti pill (I hardly even take aspirin) I never took one as the head ache never came back thankfully.

As one friend who died I don't think opioids were ever in the picture only herion and he was in his 20's and a gifted talented musician and a kid I loved dearly.

The others are total opioid addicted one on methadone now, one still addicted and taking "smooth move" tea everyday to help her have BM's (both in their 60's not young) and one recovering from both heroin and opioid addiction in his 50's.

Not hyperbole, imho.

This pretty exhaustive LA Times investigative project lays out the issue pretty clearly. And it did involve Big Pharma pushing an opioid they claimed was "safe" while essentially building business via creating addicts. (See also: big tobacco. This behavior by companies is not without precedent.) MOO

From the Times: "The internal Purdue documents reviewed by The Times come from court cases and government investigations and include many records sealed by the courts. They span three decades, from the conception of OxyContin in the mid-1980s to 2011, and include emails, memos, meeting minutes and sales reports, as well as sworn testimony by executives, sales reps and other employees."

Also from the LA Times investigation (parenthetical is mine): "OxyContin taken at 12-hour intervals (which was the pharmaceutical company's recommended dosing schedule, by the way) could be 'the perfect recipe for addiction,' said Theodore J. Cicero, a neuropharmacologist at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and a leading researcher on how opioids affect the brain."

Also, the LA Times investigation indicates OxyContin might not alleviate the "peaks and valleys" of pain management — it may actually exacerbate them.

Additionally,

Using opioids exactly as prescribed, usually for longer-term pain management, causes dependence, and sometimes, excruciating withdrawal. The scientific support for this fact is pretty easily available, imo.

From the U.S. Library of Medicine
: "These drugs can cause physical dependence. This means that a person relies on the drug to prevent withdrawal symptoms. Over time, more of the drug is needed for the same effect. This is called drug tolerance. How long it takes to become physically dependent varies with each person."

From the National Institute of Drug Abuse: "Regular use—even as prescribed by a doctor—can produce dependence."

Peace.
:peace:

Oxycodone was first formulated in 1917 in Germany by Bayer. It was used as a replacement for heroin, which up until then was being used for pain control. Oxycodone has been used in the U. S. since around 1939. In 1996 OxyContin was introduced, which is a time release version of Oxycodone. In terms of pain control this was a breakthough, eliminating the "peaks and valleys" of pain management. It is always better to keep a steady amount of medication in the blood stream and OxyContin allows for that.

At some point those who become addicted to pain medication make a bad choice. They decide to take an extra pill or to take the next pill sooner than they should. Very, very few legitimate pain sufferers (latest estimates 0.04%) who take opioids will become addicted.

I personally know chronic pain patients who have been on steady, managed doses of opioids for years through a certified Pain Management Center. These people are not addicts and should not be thought of as such. There is a such a big difference between physical dependence and addiction. It is way too easy to blame doctors for overprescribing and "Big Pharma" for producing the medication.

The problem is with misuse of a valuable medication.

Surgeon general asked to resign

Murthy, who will continue as a member of the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, was appointed as surgeon general in 2014. During his tenure, he led efforts to stymy the growing opioid epidemic, cautioning US doctors in a public letter about their prescription of painkillers.

"The results have been devastating," Murthy wrote.

[video=cnn;tv/2016/08/28/surgeon-general-launches-anti-opioid-fight.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/politics/surgeon-general-resignation/index.html[/video]

Look forward to the stance of the next Surgeon General, assuming there will be one.

Surgeon general asked to resign

Murthy, who will continue as a member of the US Public Health Service Commissioned Corps, was appointed as surgeon general in 2014. During his tenure, he led efforts to stymy the growing opioid epidemic, cautioning US doctors in a public letter about their prescription of painkillers.

"The results have been devastating," Murthy wrote.

[video=cnn;tv/2016/08/28/surgeon-general-launches-anti-opioid-fight.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/22/politics/surgeon-general-resignation/index.html[/video]

Look forward to the stance of the next Surgeon General, assuming there will be one.

My apologies, but I find your post a little confusing.

Here's an article about the US Surgeon General resigning. That's standard practice when a new president is elected. The incumbent Surgeon General stays in office until the new administration chooses a new SG. That's what happened - Trump's administration made an official announcement of their replacement.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...y-replaced-under-trump-administration-n749621

As for how well Murthy performed his job, the video you linked to was complimentary of his activities WRT the heroin epidemic. If you have an article that shows he did a poor job, please provide a link.

That said, the illegal trade in heroin/fentanyl/carfentanyl epidemic is out of control. No surgeon general in the US has the power to do a great deal to stop it. Overdoses from prescription opiods had declined in recent years, but the real problem is the illegal trade in non-prescription versions drugs, especially the flow of carfentanyl from China. Most overdoses today aren't due to prescription drugs.

Perhaps givng the surgeon general additional power to stop the flow of illegal drugs into the US is an option, but that's already being handled by the hundreds of thousands of officers working for DEA, FBI, Homeland Security/ICE and local law enforcement. Other than public education and working with the health care system in the US, there's not much more they can do, is there?

ETA: Update on this news. The woman replacing Murtha on an interim basis, was the Rear Admiral who worked for Murtha. President Trump has not yet made a choice for his own Surgeon General. I wonder if he plans to do so, or does his administration not think the job is important.

Mea culpa, I read the above linked article and never knew until now that Perdue had falsely promoted OxyContin. From the article:

"Purdue Pharma acknowledged in the court proceeding today that “with the intent to defraud or mislead,” it marketed and promoted OxyContin as a drug that was less addictive, less subject to abuse and less likely to cause other narcotic side effects than other pain medications.

The article seems to take the stance that "regular" oxycodone is okay, that it is just the OxyContin extended release form that has caused the problem. Because in many people OxyContin does not relieve pain for the 12 hours the manufacturer claims it does. (I knew this.) and for some people it hardly works at all to relieve pain. (I knew this)

Thanks for the link!

For instance, when the painkiller was first approved, F.D.A. officials allowed Purdue Pharma to state that the time-release of a narcotic like OxyContin “is believed to reduce” its potential to be abused.
But according to federal officials, Purdue sales representatives falsely told doctors that the statement, rather than simply being a theory, meant that OxyContin had a lower potential for addiction or abuse than drugs like Percocet. Among other things, company sales officials were allowed to draw their own fake scientific charts, which they then distributed to doctors, to support that misleading abuse-related claim, federal officials said."

I do believe that changing how people, including the medical community, define addiction (for example, vs. using "less stigmatizing" words like "habituate" or "tolerance" or "withdrawal" etc. — when all three of those are part and parcel of addiction), would go a long way in everyone understanding — and treating — the disease.

The AMA defines addiction as a disease. This is fact. So, why does pharma/law promote antiquated beliefs that essentially blame the sick and the diseased as somehow having moral failings if they develop the disease of addiction?

Addiction is medically recognized, often treatable disease, like, say, Type 1 diabetes or crohn's. And no legitimate medical disease is caused by moral failing. (I would say IMO here, but that's a scientific fact.)

Yeah, addiction is complicated. I'm not blaming doctors, per se, unless they're running pill mills. Then they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law as the narcotic drug dealers they are.

After all, nobody denies opioids are lab-created versions of heroin and morphine. So, it makes little sense that they shouldn't be handled with exceptional caution — like the highly addictive narcotics that they are. One isn't less "habit forming" or "tolerance forming" or "withdrawal inducing" than the other just because it's made in a lab! That's just common sense. Or it should be.

In my humble and largely self-educated opinion, which happens to jibe with the (former) U.S. Attorney General.

Per The Los Angeles Times, November 2016 Article "U.S. surgeon general issues ‘a new call to action’ on addiction":

When Dr. Vivek Murthy left his Massachusetts hospital to become U.S. surgeon general, the nurses who had known him since he was a resident had a parting plea: Do something about addiction. On Thursday, Murthy tried to make good on that request with the release of a first-of-its-kind report calling for “a cultural shift in how we think about addiction.”

“For far too long, too many in our country have viewed addiction as a moral failing,” Murthy said in the report. “It is a chronic illness that we must approach with the same skill and compassion with which we approach heart disease, diabetes and cancer.” The report comes at a time of great concern about addiction and uncertainty about how the Trump administration will respond to it. Drug overdoses have surpassed car accidents as a cause of death in recent years, a surge driven by the opioid epidemic.

(emphasis mine)

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-oxycontin-full-coverage/#surgeon_general

As my mom would say about just about anything that happens in this world, "Everything's related, but some things are more closely related than others."

i think h made a comeback due to ppl getting addicted to their pain pills. or teenagers bogarting mom or gramma's pain pills then cant get a hold of them anymore. h is cheaper so they switch. then more h comes cut w fentanyl and other bad stuff :( its truly an epidemic now :(

Exactly. It makes one (me) wonder how many would have never become h addicts if it weren't for the pills to begin with. Of course hydrocodone, codeine, Vicodin, Lorgab, morphine, Demerol, dilaudid, etc are nothing new but, IMOE, it really didn't become the issue it is today until OxyContin started flooding the market in early '00s when you could basically get a 60 day prescription for a root canal. Now that they've begun to clamp down on the amount of pills one can get at a time (and ease of a script), we're seeing the residual effects. H is so cheap and easy to get now. With its high demand, comes the other killer issue of a lot of it being cut with carfentenyl/fentonyl (unbeknownst to the buyer/user). This is contributing to the spike in death overdoses. I live right outside Baltimore and the amount of overdose deaths of late in Baltimore County (and other nearby areas of MD/PA, for that matter), is staggering and very scary.

Exactly. It makes one (me) wonder how many would have never become h addicts if it weren't for the pills to begin with. Of course hydrocodone, codeine, Vicodin, Lorgab, morphine, Demerol, dilaudid, etc are nothing new but, IMOE, it really didn't become the issue it is today until OxyContin started flooding the market in early '00s when you could basically get a 60 day prescription for a root canal. Now that they've begun to clamp down on the amount of pills one can get at a time (and ease of a script), we're seeing the residual effects. H is so cheap and easy to get now. With its high demand, comes the other killer issue of a lot of it being cut with carfentenyl/fentonyl (unbeknownst to the buyer/user). This is contributing to the spike in death overdoses. I live right outside Baltimore and the amount of overdose deaths of late in Baltimore County (and other nearby areas of MD/PA, for that matter), is staggering and very scary.

This is exactly what the documentary 'Heroin Explosion' says. The latest statistics show people do not reach for heroin first since the late 90's or early 2000's - they start off with pain killers. A number of addicts in the docu also say that is what happened to them - pain killers first, which became to expensive.

The crisis is being created by pain killers. Jmo.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back