GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats illuminating is that he did not tell his coworkers that he burned himself there at work. Perhaps because they would have called him on it.

They certainly would have called him on it. The injuries may have been severe enough for an employer in that case to send him to the Doc. -- insurance, workman's comp ....
But why did he rely on that lie to tell LE? (& was it on the Tuesday interview, or later?) Surely they noticed the hands on Tuesday Morning... ( I can't recall the cop's story, sorry)

Excellent work all. Woohoo!
I don't remember what the injuries looked like.
Napili, excellent catch that he presented separate injuries in the freshest telling right after, to Cass.
PT, love that breakdown. Working on a "friend's" car indeed. A chilling way to describe what he did to her car.

I've gotten indentation marks on my hands from pulling against regular zip ties. They do cut. Rope burns also. Why would he leave pepper spray and rope in his 4Runner when he took it back?

He must have been angry after all the money he put in his new truck. Apparently he may have thought this was the family's doing to press for repossession? He was not a large amount past due, and some would not repossess in those circumstances. (Based on Apo's questioning to Pechin about doing what Kim told him to do, that line of questioning was likely given to Apo by SC?)

He was acting out by March. Could he have been taunting the family by leaving these sinister objects in plain view that he figured proved nothing?

If you think about it, pepper spray is an easy way to disable her. It doesn't require skill on her part or any cooperation from her, and can easily be whipped out and used. Then he can grab her and bind her hands and gag her. Done.

My bias here is thinking he did not want to kill her at the moment he disabled her. That he wanted her to know she had displeased him and to suffer with knowing he was going to kill her. Then he took her to a place where he could let blood flow, which was the semi-cleared area at Paraquat's. He might have bound her to that small tree, if the tree was strong enough to use for that.

I wonder if he made that cleared area in advance. I'm thinking he did. (See cadaver dog handler and Det. Adachi testimony that the area was like a small clearing with one skinny tree and a rock.)

They certainly would have called him on it. The injuries may have been severe enough for an employer in that case to send him to the Doc. -- insurance, workman's comp ....
But why did he rely on that lie to tell LE? (& was it on the Tuesday interview, or later?) Surely they noticed the hands on Tuesday Morning... ( I can't recall the cop's story, sorry)
We have conjectured that he was taken by surprise when cops showed up Tuesday morning ... he told the police multiple things that were disproved by coworkers, as if he never expected the police to start a full investigation and interview people from Mana? It's very odd.

Excellent work all. Woohoo!
I don't remember what the injuries looked like.
Napili, excellent catch that he presented separate injuries in the freshest telling right after, to Cass.
PT, love that breakdown. Working on a "friend's" car indeed. A chilling way to describe what he did to her car.

I've gotten indentation marks on my hands from pulling against regular zip ties. They do cut. Rope burns also. Why would he leave pepper spray and rope in his 4Runner when he took it back?

He must have been angry after all the money he put in his new truck. Apparently he may have thought this was the family's doing to press for repossession? He was not a large amount past due, and some would not repossess in those circumstances. (Based on Apo's questioning to Pechin about doing what Kim told him to do, that line of questioning was likely given to Apo by SC?)

He was acting out by March. Could he have been taunting the family by leaving these sinister objects in plain view that he figured proved nothing?

If you think about it, pepper spray is an easy way to disable her. It doesn't require skill on her part or any cooperation from her, and can easily be whipped out and used. Then he can grab her and bind her hands and gag her. Done.

My bias here is thinking he did not want to kill her at the moment he disabled her. That he wanted her to know she had displeased him and to suffer with knowing he was going to kill her. Then he took her to a place where he could let blood flow, which was the semi-cleared area at Paraquat's. He might have bound her to that small tree, if the tree was strong enough to use for that.

I wonder if he made that cleared area in advance. I'm thinking he did. (See cadaver dog handler and Det. Adachi testimony that the area was like a small clearing with one skinny tree and a rock.)

Yes, excellent sleuthing, all!

Regarding why he would leave pepper spray and rope in his truck.... arrogance and laziness. He also left a muddy green cell phone case in his truck. I wonder whose cell phone case that was?

PT, to answer your question, I absolutely think SC went back to Paraquats. He didn't hang out with the Kaisers after dropping off the backpack late Monday afternoon, and that muddy cell phone case in his car indicates to me that he went back and cleaned up.

So the cable is the zipties he bound and dragged her with. The burns is lighting her car on fire and the working on the friends truck is taking stuff off her truck.

Having owned and lived on a sailboat on more than one occasion a line or rope has slipped with my hand or fingers caught in it. Perhaps it be the line holding the boat to the dock with a hard surge or to the sail with a heavy wind.

The window cable from his friend's Honda is actually the window cable from the broken rear window in his 4Runner.

Knowing that he tends to construct his lies from real-life occurrences rather than dream them up out of thin air, I have to say this cable theory really lines up with his M.O.

Totally agree he went back to Paraquat's Monday. He may have left Makawao in a rush trying to get what light he could at the scene. We can tell from the Hana sighting timeline that he did not have very much time for the murder cleanup on Sunday, unless he had help.
If he left her body in the blanket Sunday night, that would explain why it had enough contact with a dead body to be covered in maggots. The clothes did not have maggots, so he may have taken them off on Sunday.

He never did get the scene cleaned up, as we know.
Dismemberment done.
Hiding most of the remains done.
Disoosing of her phone and laptop done.
taking care of identifying remains not done.
Disposal of her clothes that told story of stabbing not done.
Disposal of his clothes - not done well.
Murder weapon (knife) and dismemberment machete/tools never found.

I think he was in there Tuesday afternoon for a short window of time picking up more of what daylight showed him, including maybe the phone case. Maybe he collected the clothes and piled them in the grass near the road for later pickup.

I still don't understand why he left the hair in plain view and the other identifiers. Unless he felt he could not touch anything that smelled like death on Tuesday afternoon because too many people all around.

Remember he disappeared on Wednesday evening too. I hope they say where his phone was when Kyle Knight and Kaiser called him from Jaws asking why he was not there.

The window cable from his friend's Honda is actually the window cable from the broken rear window in his 4Runner.

Knowing that he tends to construct his lies from real-life occurrences rather than dream them up out of thin air, I have to say this cable theory really lines up with his M.O.
I started to post that the cable was from his broken window last night, and then realized I did not remember for sure him saying what was broken about his truck window, so I deleted the draft. So it was a cable then? Could it have been that actual cable that he used, or was that still in the truck broken? I was not able to listen to his interviews with my full attention and didn't retain the info.

The window cable repair is something I've had to deal with in my life, years ago. A friend did it IIRC. I can't picture the cable though.

Totally agree he went back to Paraquat's Monday. He may have left Makawao in a rush trying to get what light he could at the scene. We can tell from the Hana sighting timeline that he did not have very much time for the murder cleanup on Sunday, unless he had help.
If he left her body in the blanket Sunday night, that would explain why it had enough contact with a dead body to be covered in maggots. The clothes did not have maggots, so he may have taken them off on Sunday.

He never did get the scene cleaned up, as we know.
Dismemberment done.
Hiding most of the remains done.
Disoosing of her phone and laptop done.
taking care of identifying remains not done.
Disposal of her clothes that told story of stabbing not done.
Disposal of his clothes - not done well.
Murder weapon (knife) and dismemberment machete/tools never found.

I think he was in there Tuesday afternoon for a short window of time picking up more of what daylight showed him, including maybe the phone case. Maybe he collected the clothes and piled them in the grass near the road for later pickup.

I still don't understand why he left the hair in plain view and the other identifiers. Unless he felt he could not touch anything that smelled like death on Tuesday afternoon because too many people all around.

Remember he disappeared on Wednesday evening too. I hope they say where his phone was when Kyle Knight and Kaiser called him from Jaws asking why he was not there.
About the serrated knife marks on the defleshed jaw bones: When SC was arrested and imprisoned in July 2014, one of his personal possessions itemized at the time of booking was a 4"-6" knife disguised as a belt buckle. He was wearing it when they arrested him. Could this be the knife used to deflesh the jaw bones? I've read on a forensics site that serrated knives have unique serration patterns, sort of like fingerprints, that can be used to match the knife to the serrated pattern. It would be very interesting if SC's knife matched the marks left behind on the jaw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I started to post that the cable was from his broken window last night, and then realized I did not remember for sure him saying what was broken about his truck window, so I deleted the draft. So it was a cable then? Could it have been that actual cable that he used, or was that still in the truck broken? I was not able to listen to his interviews with my full attention and didn't retain the info.

The window cable repair is something I've had to deal with in my life, years ago. A friend did it IIRC. I can't picture the cable though.

I didn't mean to imply that he used that actual cable; I was just saying that the lie that he told Ginseng Mileur about the window cable in the friend's Honda was drawn from his 4Runner back window issues. And I think I got the broken back window info from PT, not from testimony. But if you look closely at the picture of his 4Runner from Taylor's testimony, you can see that the back window is down and crooked, not even like you would expect.
BackWindow.jpg

Yes, excellent sleuthing, all!

Regarding why he would leave pepper spray and rope in his truck.... arrogance and laziness. He also left a muddy green cell phone case in his truck. I wonder whose cell phone case that was?
Kapua, do you know which search (if any) produced the cell phone case?

The thing with the rope and pepper spray is I don't see how they were in the truck from the time of the crime. His truck had been searched once or twice by MPD. They would have impounded items like that. This was March that he brings the truck back to give it up for good, so these items he had put in his truck for some reason after the prior searches.

That's why I asked if it could be a taunt.
Do you think pepper spray could be a contender for subduing her?

I didn't mean to imply that he used that actual cable; I was just saying that the lie that he told Ginseng Mileur about the window cable in the friend's Honda was drawn from his 4Runner back window issues. And I think I got the broken back window info from PT, not from testimony. But if you look closely at the picture of his 4Runner from Taylor's testimony, you can see that the back window is down and crooked, not even like you would expect.
attachment.php
Thanks so much. I looked for a mention of the back window yesterday when I was going to mention it, and what I found in media was when he brought it for repossession, the window was "broken" and covered with a "tarp and a brick." I was not sure from the article whether the break was a mechanical issue or an actual glass breakage.

"The vehicle had been locked, except for the broken back window, which had a tarp and brick over it, Pechin said. He said items shown in a photograph of the console, including a piece of rope and red pepper spray canister, weren't his."
​
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:_aH0sYhl_PoJ:www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/612933/Witness--Defendant-s-truck-was-at-home.html%3Fnav%3D10+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

About the serrated knife marks on the defleshed jaw bones: When SC was arrested and imprisoned in July 2014, one of his personal possessions itemized at the time of booking was a 4"-6" knife disguised as a belt buckle. He was wearing it when they arrested him. Could this be the knife used to deflesh the jaw bones? I've read on a forensics site that serrated knives have unique serration patterns, sort of like fingerprints, that can be used to match the knife to the serrated pattern. It would be very interesting if SC's knife matched the marks left behind on the jaw.
Yes, it's been asked here for over two years whether that was the knife, but there's never been a peep about that knife from the police or in any motion. It would seem to be just what is looked for, but the defense never filed a motion to exclude the knife. Considering all the motions they filed, I don't know why they wouldn't try on that, if the grand jury in fact heard that Steven's knife matched.

Kapua, do you know which search (if any) produced the cell phone case?

The thing with the rope and pepper spray is I don't see how they were in the truck from the time of the crime. His truck had been searched once or twice by MPD. They would have impounded items like that. This was March that he brings the truck back to give it up for good, so these items he had put in his truck for some reason after the prior searches.

That's why I asked if it could be a taunt.
Do you think pepper spray could be a contender for subduing her?

The Maui Now article from 8/31 does not mention the day that the vehicle was searched, but I was listening to the live stream at work and IIRC, that was the search done on Wed, Feb 12. I remember being surprised that a search was done prior to the vehicle being impounded.

I sure wish someone would archive and post the live streams.

YES - I went back a couple of pages and found my post from the live stream! The search on his 4Runner was conducted on Wednesday, Feb. 12, before he cleaned it with bleach on Thursday the 13th. I remember Officer Adachi testitying that it was a visual search only.

:)
Steven volunteered for that search IIRC, as a gesture of his full cooperation and eagerness to help. Maybe it's not Charli's cell phone case.

I have definitely missed this but are they saying how they think he killed her? Strangulation? Stabbing? Etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They will never know exact cause of death unless he (or an accomplice) confesses (and truthfully). The physical evidence they did get would not show if strangled.

They believe she was stabbed multiple times. They have the stab wounds in her skirt, top, and bra. They have a bunch of stab wounds in her skirt that are where the fetus would have been in her womb. That's one of the sickest things the family had to hear.

The jaw bone shows trauma evidence of dismemberment, and was defleshed with a serrated knife, according to Det. Loo, but we're waiting to hear the forensic testimony for real details. The stabbing was revealed as part of a hearing on a motion to dismiss made by the defense, back in 2015.

He's been charged with the aggravated form of second degree murder for causing pain and torture beyond what was needed to cause death.

View attachment 100712
Im not sure he could put his window up. I would see it down and asked him about it. He said it was broken

Ever since this case became front page news in February 2014, it has continuously baffled me how SC could think he would get away with murder knowing he would be the last one with Charli. And all fingers would be pointing at him and he would be an outcast with the community and his friends. Perhaps, I under estimate the psychology of the psychopathic mind?

On one hand he claims his innocence, yet on the other hand, the unfolding evidence and testimony appears to show behavior that he ultimately wanted to be found guilty on a subconscious level? Or is it also a game of taunting to hurt those who he felt hurt him due to his mother issues?

I’ve been a shopper at Mana Foods for nearly ten years. The employees I view as family, so I identified with the case which led me to hiking the Hana side to help with the search effort. I don’t remember seeing Charli at Mana, but I remember Cassie, Jennifer, and SC who waited on me once from behind the bakery counter. All so surreal for a happy health food store in a little sleepy hippie town. With the conclusion of this case, will we ever know the answers?

He just thought he would come home to his life as he knew it. Minus one dependent and one ex. That he and Cass would get married and have kids and live happily ever after. Heck he might even learn to surf and open his own doughnut shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean