GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
He just thought he would come home to his life as he knew it. Minus one dependent and one ex. That he and Cass would get married and have kids and live happily ever after. Heck he might even learn to surf and open his own doughnut shop

You may be right Peter. The answer could be as simple as you have stated. Thank you for the insight!

Or rather --
That he and Cass would NOT get married and NOT have kids
and would GET HIGH TOGETHER AND SCREW XSTATICALLY ever after.

I just wondered what he was doing after work? Did he go back to Paraquats

(Slow to answer...& I see others have already answered your question better than I, but I'll post anyway. )

Monday
We know early early ( 0 dark < 2ish) he took his Ford pickup to meet Taylor.* (this after last being seen, we think in Charlie's car, in Hana < midnight & before heading back west, ditched Nala somewhere near Nahiku & perhaps having left Charlie & Joshua best guess Paraquats, then stripped & burned the 4runner & picked up drugs for Taylor. What else? ... Ah yes....All in a night's work.

Questions: Why did he take the Ford Ranger & not the 4Runner?...Why did he tell her that the 4runner was broken down at his house?

Why Hana? Needed gas?

We know he skyped Cassie at @ 2:30 am. He showed his hands. He told lie about friend's truck and smashing hood and battery cable. She said, ""He was kind of frantic and wound up. It was almost like somebody that had just gotten out of a car accident."
Imagine that...

We know he probably was up at 5-6 for work at 7 am. He texted someone "thanks".
We know he had little sleep. I can't remember any testimony from work Monday am, regarding his hand injuries, but I hope we can fill in that blank. Were they really damaged, as he told them on Tuesday?
We know, I think, that he got off work @ 3 & allowing for drive time from Paia to Mac.--@15 mins?) & to @4 he was with the Kaisers in Macawao, but he declined an invitation to stay & visit, & left abruptly (?)
He made the effort to return the item Kurt had asked about, because he wanted to free his time & also maybe be in on any scuttlebutt about Charlie, since he knew she & the Kaisers were close. (IMO)

[He prolly either drove the 4Runner to work & then headed to the Kaisers after -- or he didn't have it at work & picked it up from home to drive it up to Macawao & Kaisers after work....that Question again: why did he take the Ford truck to meet Taylor & tell her the 4R was broken & at home???]

So...
After 4 pm plus drive time(s): to parts unknown...he must have returned to Paraquat's. We KNOW he had a lot to accomplish that Monday...I'm sorry. I can't write it out.

Then there's the facebook...
Peter Tosh-- I can't find it to save my life, but you had answered my question in a post way back in 2014 about Steven facebooking after work on Monday, I'm pretty sure it was Monday. And you answered again more recently. Lots of stupid Meme/shares posted around this time, & it's incomprehensible, given the full free day he had and the urgency to finish up the "job" that Monday. So, Why??? Once again, I remember how random and silly the FB posts were. Except some that made me think they weren't posted by him, but someone else. I guessed it could be Cassie because of a totally unrelated share posted by "Chunko'butter" (or however it's spelled) about the prison system management in Philadelphia -- I don't have my screenshots anymore -- drat! Oh I know I'm a broken record about this & way off topic, but it just raises questions!! Was Cassie an unwitting accomplice, and is she keeping mum because, well, she can....? I think she knows more. Will she be recalled to testify?

Well...Thanks for letting me meander.

Then there's the facebook...
Peter Tosh-- I can't find it to save my life, but you had answered my question in a post way back in 2014 about Steven facebooking after work on Monday, I'm pretty sure it was Monday. And you answered again more recently. Lots of stupid Meme/shares posted around this time, & it's incomprehensible, given the full free day he had and the urgency to finish up the "job" that Monday. So, Why??? Once again, I remember how random and silly the FB posts were. Except some that made me think they weren't posted by him, but someone else. I guessed it could be Cassie because of a totally unrelated share posted by "Chunko'butter" (or however it's spelled) about the prison system management in Philadelphia -- I don't have my screenshots anymore -- drat! Oh I know I'm a broken record about this & way off topic, but it just raises questions!! Was Cassie an unwitting accomplice, and is she keeping mum because, well, she can....? I think she knows more. Will she be recalled to testify?

Like I mentioned, how I am baffled with SC thinking he would get away with murder knowing he would be the last one with Charli, and all fingers would be pointing at him. Perhaps the one finger that would not point at him would be Cassie, the one he was infatuated with? If he thought Cassie would leave him after Charli went missing, surely he would not have committed the murder? Did he think Cassie felt as strong for him as he felt for her? Or he knew she was as depraved as himself and she would not leave him? Or she knows more than she has revealed?

I think I'm the only one here...
Still thinking about the hands...
Thinking that the injuries could have been made both by the zip ties or a wire. Different activities. The zips used to contain & move the body. The wire or even a zip, used as a garrot. But both capable of making those marks. Yes, and so also would a car hood smash.

I'm going to share a rather grizzly scenario now, so bear with me, please :facepalm: Or don't! This is really bad! Warning!!

Here goes...
What would happen if they struggled. SC had a plan to use the wire on her neck, but in the struggle he caught his victim's mouth as she screamed. He would not be able to let go and would have to just squeeze and squeeze. Would this be capable of cutting into and ultimately severing the jaw? Fingers caught trying to pull it away?
Just horrible. Horrible. Horrible.

I'm sorry. We become so compromised, don't we, when we try to truly imagine evil so that Good and Truth will come out of it...God protect these Sleuthers.

Sigh.
Well, the detective thought the red hair clumps possibly indicated a struggle.
I believe he said the trauma to the jaw was from hacking and he theorized a machete being used post-mortem--in the process of dismemberment. We will hear that testimony coming up.

I am very interested in your thoughts on his hands. I just don't know where to find the images to look at them. I have a hard time discussing something like this speculation on what made certain marks, without pics of the marks and quotes from whatever interviews mentioned them. It's been such a crazy busy week I can't go searching.

Sigh.
I believe he said the trauma to the jaw was from hacking and he theorized a machete being used post-mortem--in the process of dismemberment. We will hear that testimony coming up.
I am very interested in your thoughts on his hands. I just don't know where to find the images to look at them. I have a hard time discussing something like this speculation on what made certain marks, without pics of the marks and quotes from whatever interviews mentioned them. It's been such a crazy busy week I can't go searching.

I finally found some on the you tube video from Trial day one, part 2, at about 11 mins in, iirc. Sorry, I should have included this. Get some rest. You tube has a lot of trial material and shorter clips, too.

Like I mentioned, how I am baffled with SC thinking he would get away with murder knowing he would be the last one with Charli, and all fingers would be pointing at him. Perhaps the one finger that would not point at him would be Cassie, the one he was infatuated with? If he thought Cassie would leave him after Charli went missing, surely he would not have committed the murder? Did he think Cassie felt as strong for him as he felt for her? Or he knew she was as depraved as himself and she would not leave him? Or she knows more than she has revealed?

She did and said so.

I finally found some on the you tube video from Trial day one, part 2, at about 11 mins in, iirc. Sorry, I should have included this. Get some rest. You tube has a lot of trial material and shorter clips, too.
Thanks, I didn't mean to be complaining, was just explaining why I am listening but am out of the loop.

Following along here here is me resting, lol. But no energy to sort through Youtube, I'm that beat. Normally I am a tireless searcher. :)

The one article made it sound like her hair was caught up in the cuts in the tree. Like it got caught on it while she was being moved.

This is the part that I think we all struggle with; SC's inability to think of the consequences of his evil actions, and his apparent belief that he could charm and BS his way through a police investigation and even a polygraph test. He had the arrogance to tell Mileka Lincoln that he took a polygraph test and the police told him he failed but he wasn't sure if that was an interrogation technique. There's a real disconnect with reality. Like Peter Tosh and others have said, he was living in his fantasy land where he and Cassie are reunited without the challenges.

I think he thought that he&#8217;d dispose of all of the evidence and tell the police that he did not see Charli that night, and tell them that he went for a drive to listen to music as he often does.

I enclose a snippet of Drew Kaiser&#8217;s testimony from the Maui News article dated August 10. SC told DK on the afternoon of Feb. 10 and again in reply to a text on the morning of Feb. 11 that he hadn&#8217;t seen Charli. The text must have been just minutes before the police arrived. I don&#8217;t think he expected the police to arrive at his doorstep less than 48 hours after the murders and I don&#8217;t think he anticipated evidence recovery in the first week. I think he thought that Nala would be given a good home in Nahiku, that nobody would find Charli&#8217;s vehicle at Jaws, at least not immediately, and that the remains of Charli and Joshua would be disposed of by the forces of nature by the time the police investigation got underway. He had the lush jungle that is East Maui on his side. What he didn&#8217;t know is that Kim and Phaedra had the Life 360 app. And that they would launch a Herculean search effort within 2 days of Charli&#8217;s disappearance.

I have asked this before: What caused SC to change his story from &#8220;No, haven&#8217;t seen her&#8221; to the stuck truck alibi within minutes of the text to Drew? IMHO, it could have been the investigators interrogation technique. The police could have asked him, &#8220;What if I told you that someone saw you with Charli Sunday night?&#8221; Detective Loo spoke of being trained in the Reid technique. Maybe it was the way the police phrased the questions to him that caused him to invent his ridiculous alibi on the spot.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...-testimony-about-truck-s-location.html?nav=10

Drew Kaiser said he considered Capobianco his "best friend."

Between 3 and 4 p.m. On Monday, Feb. 10, 2014, the day after Capobianco said he last saw Scott, he showed up at the Makawao house where Kaiser and his parents lived to return Kurt Kaiser's backpack, Drew Kaiser said. After looking in Capobianco's truck, Kaiser said he found his cellphone, which he had also left in the truck when the brothers went to Kihei bars with Capobianco over the weekend.

Kaiser said he invited Capobianco to a gathering at Kaiser's sister's house later that evening, but he said he was busy.

Kaiser said he asked Capobianco if he had seen Scott "and he said he did not."

Kaiser said the visit took "10 minutes at the most," which he said was unusual.

"He usually would hang out," Kaiser said. "He was in a hurry that night."

At 7 or 8 the next morning, Feb. 11, 2014, Kaiser said he learned Scott was missing when he received text messages from Scott's sisters asking if he had seen her.

"I texted Steven to see if he knew or heard from her," Kaiser said. "He says he hasn't heard from her and she's probably fine."

Sigh.

This armchair detective thinks that the red hair clumps indicate that he dragged her by the hair post-mortem.

This is the part that I think we all struggle with; SC's inability to think of the consequences of his evil actions, and his apparent belief that he could charm and BS his way through a police investigation and even a polygraph test. He had the arrogance to tell Mileka Lincoln that he took a polygraph test and the police told him he failed but he wasn't sure if that was an interrogation technique. There's a real disconnect with reality. Like Peter Tosh and others have said, he was living in his fantasy land where he and Cassie are reunited without the challenges.

I think he thought that he&#8217;d dispose of all of the evidence and tell the police that he did not see Charli that night, and tell them that he went for a drive to listen to music as he often does.

I enclose a snippet of Drew Kaiser&#8217;s testimony from the Maui News article dated August 10. SC told DK on the afternoon of Feb. 10 and again in reply to a text on the morning of Feb. 11 that he hadn&#8217;t seen Charli. The text must have been just minutes before the police arrived. I don&#8217;t think he expected the police to arrive at his doorstep less than 48 hours after the murders and I don&#8217;t think he anticipated evidence recovery in the first week. I think he thought that Nala would be given a good home in Nahiku, that nobody would find Charli&#8217;s vehicle at Jaws, at least not immediately, and that the remains of Charli and Joshua would be disposed of by the forces of nature by the time the police investigation got underway. He had the lush jungle that is East Maui on his side. What he didn&#8217;t know is that Kim and Phaedra had the Life 360 app. And that they would launch a Herculean search effort within 2 days of Charli&#8217;s disappearance.

I have asked this before: What caused SC to change his story from &#8220;No, haven&#8217;t seen her&#8221; to the stuck truck alibi within minutes of the text to Drew? IMHO, it could have been the investigators interrogation technique. The police could have asked him, &#8220;What if I told you that someone saw you with Charli Sunday night?&#8221; Detective Loo spoke of being trained in the Reid technique. Maybe it was the way the police phrased the questions to him that caused him to invent his ridiculous alibi on the spot.

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...-testimony-about-truck-s-location.html?nav=10

Drew Kaiser said he considered Capobianco his "best friend."

Between 3 and 4 p.m. On Monday, Feb. 10, 2014, the day after Capobianco said he last saw Scott, he showed up at the Makawao house where Kaiser and his parents lived to return Kurt Kaiser's backpack, Drew Kaiser said. After looking in Capobianco's truck, Kaiser said he found his cellphone, which he had also left in the truck when the brothers went to Kihei bars with Capobianco over the weekend.

Kaiser said he invited Capobianco to a gathering at Kaiser's sister's house later that evening, but he said he was busy.

Kaiser said he asked Capobianco if he had seen Scott "and he said he did not."

Kaiser said the visit took "10 minutes at the most," which he said was unusual.

"He usually would hang out," Kaiser said. "He was in a hurry that night."

At 7 or 8 the next morning, Feb. 11, 2014, Kaiser said he learned Scott was missing when he received text messages from Scott's sisters asking if he had seen her.

"I texted Steven to see if he knew or heard from her," Kaiser said. "He says he hasn't heard from her and she's probably fine."
Wonderful post that nails it I think. I especially like your list of what he didn't think would happen or not so quickly, and agree.

There is only one part where it might not work. If DK got this text from SC at 7-8 am Tue or after, the police should have come and gone. I haven't searched out the places where the police time is given, but I think it was at least an hour earlier. By 7 he should have been at work.

If so, why is he lying to DK in contradiction to his lies to police?
He almost seems to be lacking that mental software that we as rational people engage if we do decide to tell a lie, where we calculate the likelihood of the person learning it is a lie -- and don't tell the lie because it's not going to work.
Like the lie he told police that Kyle Knight gave him a ride to work Sunday, when there was no reasonable chance Kyle would back him up, because he did not give SC a ride.

I dont know that we can account for this behavior using comparisons to the type of logic any of us would use. There's something wrong with this guy's ability to calculate repercussions to what he says and does.

I found one article about the Tuesday 2/11 questioning from June 2015, when Carlos Young testifies on the motion to exclude the statement. He doesn't give the time, but says it lasted 20 minutes and the questioning was very general and not pointed at Steven. It sounds like Young heard the questioning.
http://www.mauinews.com/page/content.detail/id/598888/

Do the Cass testimony articles mention the Skype time on Tuesday?
The timeline by HGO has SC leaving for work at 6:15 am on Sunday, which I assume would be a regular time. I don't know if the police made him late on Tuesday, but grandfather says Steven didn't feel like he had to leave right away after police came, so doesn't sound like he was late.
Timeline says Brooke found Steven at Mana at 8:30 on 2/11, so there would not seem to be time for DK to text him between 7 and 8 and him still at home, then police at home for 20 minutes per Young, then drive to work and talk to Brooke at 8:30.
He must have told DK he didn't know about Charli after the police interviewed him, and then almost immediately told Brooke the story he told police, more or less.

Here is a little snippet for the timeline.
Sgt. Loo called SC at 3 PM on Tuesday to set up the interview at the police station for the following day.
http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...vestigator-in-hearing-on-evidence.html?nav=10

3 PM is when Steven's shift at Mana ended and he was free to drive out to Keanae. IIRC, the police wanted him to come Tuesday, but he told them he was obligated to go show family the spot where his truck supposedly got stuck.
So as he takes off, he knows the police are going to question him again the next day and things have really heated up from Monday when nothing was going on that he knew of.

I would think that he felt pressure to get the site at Nua'ailua cleaned up, and yet he did not manage it, although he did go there briefly on Tuesday. It's one of my big questions why all that evidence was there still on Thursday afternoon. He didn't know about the Life 360, but he did meet the sisters on the dirt road. Then on Wed. afternoon he had Kyle pointing out the death smell near the road there. Why was he not cleaning the scene on Wed. night after he did not show up at Jaws?

Then he bleaches his truck and gives a phone interview to Mileka Lincoln on Thursday? This is after the 4Runner is found. Nala was found. People are curious about his "secret" road. All his friends are out searching and many other people.

He knows he needs to clean his truck, but still thinks it's safe to have her stabbed clothing and jawbone and clumps of hair just sitting out there? Either he is really severely narcissistically over-confident that his BS will carry the day, and severely underestimating the family and friends, or ?
I have wondered at times if he did not know what was out there.
The only reason I can think of would be possibly an accomplice who bungled the job of removing the items, and didn't tell Steven.

You are right; the second lie to Drew on Feb 11 could have been after the lie to police, not before. It makes no sense to the rational brain either way. It's like he doesn't expect anyone to compare his stories. He didn't think Charli's family would talk to everybody she knew.

What did Cassie say?

http://mauinow.com/2016/08/07/capobiancos-ex-girlfriend-asked-did-you-do-this/

Kupstas agreed that in terms of her initial interaction with Capobianco that she believed it was &#8220;love at first sight,&#8221; but that today, she doesn&#8217;t believe &#8220;any impressions of him&#8221; and testified on Friday that she believes he is a &#8220;liar.&#8221;

------------------------

Apo asked if she recalled the defendant saying That he wouldn&#8217;t let &#8220;something so simple&#8221; come in between them, to which Kupstas responded, &#8220;I don&#8217;t remember saying &#8216;so simple&#8217;&#8230; I was in love with him, well I thought I was. And I wanted to work it out,&#8221; she said.

Cass made some hints that the truth she knew would be revealed, back in 2014 before she had returned. It was on a followup post to the Statement Analysis, what I saw, and she was talking to PT I believe he has made known. I don't think we're allowed to link it. Anyway, she didn't publicly say anything informational, other than there was so much people didn't know or understand and to be patient. That was back when she was first coming to terms with the likelihood she had hooked up with a murdering monster. Two years later, so much time has passed and her life is very different, and she has talked to the family and many others.

I'm not sure if PT is referencing a private convo he had and am not trying to answer for what he had in mind with that comment. Just adding what I've seen.

http://mauinow.com/2016/08/07/capobiancos-ex-girlfriend-asked-did-you-do-this/

Kupstas agreed that in terms of her initial interaction with Capobianco that she believed it was “love at first sight,” but that today, she doesn’t believe “any impressions of him” and testified on Friday that she believes he is a “liar.”

------------------------

Apo asked if she recalled the defendant saying That he wouldn’t let “something so simple” come in between them, to which Kupstas responded, “I don’t remember saying ‘so simple’… I was in love with him, well I thought I was. And I wanted to work it out,” she said.

SC is on trial for murder and Cassie considers him a liar, yet I find it strange that Cassie to this day still has a picture of SC and her together on her Facebook. You would think she would want to distance herself from him? Perhaps she is just a naive young lady and I am reading too much into it. I am going to assume her testimony was complete and truthful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500