Found Deceased HI - Noah Mina, 35, Maui, 20 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Tallulah. Lakkey, May 22, 2019.

1. Tallulah. Lakkey

Tallulah. Lakkey Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    cass523, Mercedes, HayLouise and 15 others like this.
  2. ClaireNC

ClaireNC Well-Known Member

3. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

Another hiker, both 35, missing in Maui.

I don't know much about Maui, can any locals help out:

Is it a dangerous or subpar time for hiking due to weather and terrain?

Are there an abnormal amount of missing persons in Maui in relation to its size?

MOO

4. Tallulah. Lakkey

Tallulah. Lakkey Well-Known Member

HI - Maui - Ikaika Gamponia

And another one...

5. Bugurl747

Here is Hawaii's lost and missing page via FB.

Hawaii Lostnmissing

There was a missing 38 year old man found on a hiking trail on May 20 that is being treated as a homicide. His body was bound with duct tape: Benjamin Awong

Body found bound with duct tape

MOO

6. Elliot_Alderson

Elliot_Alderson STEVIOUSLY

The person found bound with duct tape, they weren't actively going hiking and then found on a trail, correct?

Was Noah hiking or had he told people he was going hiking and then disappeared while doing so?

7. Maljako

Maljako Active Member

Not a local, but some basic info:
    The weather is not bad. It's unusually hot for this time of year, but that's it. https://mauinow.com/2019/05/21/third-day-of-record-breaking-temps-in-kahului/

Considering Maui is a massively popular adventure and outdoor tourism destination, two people in their 30's missing at the same time cannot be crazy rare. However, both Mina and Eller are residents, not tourists. The permanent population is small, and probably less likely than tourists to misread a terrain. However, Eller is definitely an outdoorsy person and, based on what little I can find on Mina, he probably is also, so hiking is not out of character. They went missing in different areas on an island where off-track terrain is very challenging and vegetation is incredibly lush, making everything difficult for a search party. So far I don't see anything suggesting the disappearances are more than a coincidence.

Calixo, misgrn, TatianaBarbie and 9 others like this.
  8. ClaireNC

I agree. Apparently, it’s really easy to get lost in the place they are searching for Mina. He’s local and probably knows what to do if he does get lost. The biggest fear is that he slipped or fell.

9. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I’m a local, and while I have not hiked up to that trail I have hiked a lot of areas in the near vicinity in my younger days. I’ve heard it’s a challenging trail for sure, and believe that some of the news articles stated that as well. Our local high school put up and maintains a white cross up at the top of it, which I actually can see from my house.

It is definitely rare IMO for two people to go missing on possible hikes so close together, Especially locals,but of course could just be a coincidence. We’ve had many water incidences (Snorkeling incidents in particular) close together of tourists, and even locals, but I am trying to recall actual hiking missing people prior to these two and I can’t think of any. That doesn’t mean that people haven’t gone lost in the jungle and forest, just that they arent usually missing while doing hikes. There have been many incidents of people getting stranded on hikes, when streams rise, or someone gets hurt, etc, but actually lost or missing, no.

I would strongly guess that this individual is knowledgeable of local hiking and outdoor activities, as many locals are. Even more so than the missing woman, because she is a relative newcomer to the island, ( A few years only as I recall ), But he is very likely born and raised on Maui, and if not on one of the other islands. Being only 35,( and of course one can never assume) but it certainly looks like healthy and strong in the picture. My point being, that if the individual is not injured, it would not necessarily be hard to find your way because basically you would always be going downhill, for the most part, and using mountain (Makua), makai (ocean), sun, and moon for directional guidance. Last night for instance, the moon was quite bright when I woke up at 4 AM.

I hope there are enough resources to try to find him, with such a big search going on in another part of the island with a lot of resources there. Prayers for him & his family.

10. ClaireNC

11. Bugurl747

I wanted to point out that the family is asking to refrain from helping because the terrain is treacherous and dangerous.

I hope he is soon found and everyone remains safe.

MOO

mpnola, misgrn, wary and 11 others like this.
  12. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

bumping, deserves to be found as much as anyone!

misgrn, MsArk, TatianaBarbie and 7 others like this.
  13. Bugurl747

I have looked up articles, news video coverage, glanced at farcebook, and I can't find it stated why they think Noah is on this treacherous hiking trail. Did he leave a note, find his vehicle, ping his phone, tell a friend?

Any evidence that the trail was his last known where abouts?

I'm hoping the family will reach out to AE's basecamp and get some direction on how to lead this search.

It may kick start the media coverage and get more eyes and interest.

MOO

14. ClaireNC

15. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

The family, and the press, have been pretty quiet on the circumstances of how he disappeared, and why they believe he was on that trail. In fact the entire situation is much more low-key than the AE case. Kimberlynn Scott posted on FindAmanda Facebook that she has reached out to the family and offered her help.

Sometimes too different families have different cultural ways of dealing with things and want to keep it more internal, for whatever reason.

Praying they are both found alive and well.

16. whitelilac

whitelilac Well-Known Member

Noah's dad made a statement

“Our son Noah “Kekai” Mina has been missing being out on a hike since the morning of Monday, May 20th. There has been news articles with quotes on mental health concerns. Let me be clear, yes he is seeking clarity, and he has turned to nature to find that safe haven. To exhibit such courage in hiking to such heights alone, over this period of time, is nothing short of amazing. We look for him to return to us and share this sojourn into the depths of his beautiful soul and spirit.

“Those that know Kekai know him to be a loving gentle and humble soul, with a great love for nature. His Hawaiian heart is strong, along with his will to take on such a challenge.

“We ask that you reserve any judgement and only offer the love and respect he deserves on taking a path less traveled many of those out there would never consider taking. We ask that you cover him with a blanket of angels on this night and bring him back to us safely.”

May he be found safe.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/24/family-noah-kekai-mina-turned-to-nature-for-clarity/

17. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

that is really sad
    I hope they find him soon and that he can continue his spiritual quest safely

18. Bugurl747

Such a beautiful, eloquent, and touching statement.

Kekai sounds like an old soul, much like Amanda Eller.

I hope they too have a happy ending.

My heart aches for thei family during this time.
    MOO

misgrn, songbrd, JEMB135 and 9 others like this.
  19. Mizzamzz

Mizzamzz Member

For those following the Amanda Eller search, Javier said that now that they have found Amanda his team is going to have a quick celebration then commence searching for Noah (on Sunday, I believe).

He states this towards the end of the press conference held at the hospital here

Hopefully the outcome is the same as Amanda’s.

20. evergreen

evergreen Well-Known Member

very interesting. it looks like noah and amanda may be fairly close neighbors. wow what are the odds of that? what a fantastic stroke of luck! the same support structure used to find amanda can now be put in motion. :)

Last edited: May 27, 2019