Holiday and Winter Alternatives for Social Distancing Gatherings

Tillicum

Reaction score
I thought if we started brainstorming now we could come up with some inexpensive and simple ways to celebrate with our friends and families during the holiday season and colder weather.

During the warmer weather we've been able to visit safely outdoors with social distancing but what can we do when the temperatures drop?

Even in normal times the winter months can be depressing when we can't get out as much. How much worse will it be with COVID restrictions? We also know that the holiday season can bring on depression and loneliness for some.

Please share any ideas you have.

How can we safely share a meal?

How can we safely exchange gifts?

How can we safely visit the elderly and vulnerable?

I thought if we started brainstorming now we could come up with some inexpensive and simple ways to celebrate with our friends and families during the holiday season and colder weather.

During the warmer weather we've been able to visit safely outdoors with social distancing but what can we do when the temperatures drop?

Even in normal times the winter months can be depressing when we can't get out as much. How much worse will it be with COVID restrictions? We also know that the holiday season can bring on depression and loneliness for some.

Please share any ideas you have.

How can we safely share a meal?

How can we safely exchange gifts?

How can we safely visit the elderly and vulnerable?

Thank you for starting this thread. My family was just discussing this yesterday.

During the summer, I have been delivering flowers pretty much daily to neighbors from my garden. Since March 3rd! Yesterday, I delivered warm/just out of the oven bbq chicken thighs to three different neighbor families for their dinner as a family, and said they could pair with other sides... as I only wanted to share stuff that had been thoroughly cooked, no touch, immediately covered with foil on top as it came out of the oven. That way they didn't have to be concerned as they might if I did a fresh salad or something else.

I live alone and have a strong need for social connection, thanks for starting this thread!

Good topic :) I think a lot will depend on where states are in terms of COVID cases. Some states might be able to manage some sense of normalcy for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but others might still be in the throes of the pandemic that will limit holiday gatherings and activities. I haven't been to a mall in many months and can't imagine being in a crowded store for holiday shopping. I've read that a couple of major stores will not open on Thanksgiving this year, and I hope more will allow families to spend the day together without having to go to work.

Will the day before Thanksgiving still be the busiest travel day of the year? Will stores have typical "Black Friday" sales incentives that draw thousands of customers? Will department store "Santas" wear masks? Will there be the usual Thanksgiving Day parades? Seasonal performances of "The Nutcracker"? I think we're going to experience a very different holiday season this year, and I hope that many members will share their plans and suggestions on this thread.

Last edited:
For me, in Michigan, it will be tough. November and December in MI is cold and dreary. The weather does not lend itself to outdoor gatherings. This summer we have been enjoying social distanced visits with family. Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations are a special time for our family. We have grown out of state kids that always make an effort to come for a few days to see parents, grandparents, aunts and cousins. Typically, our family does a big gathering for all. 18-20 people for dinner, drinks and presents around the tree. Now I envision small gatherings, us coming one family at a time to visit each other after each sequestering 14 days. Christmas planing and gathering could take 3 months at that point LOL. Maybe zoom? IDK. It all has me so sad.

Good topic :) I think a lot will depend on where states are in terms of COVID cases. Some states might be able to manage some sense of normalcy for Thanksgiving and Christmas, but others might still be in the throes of the pandemic that will limit holiday gatherings and activities. I haven't been to a mall in many months and can't imagine being in a crowded store for holiday shopping. I've read that a couple of major stores will not open on Thanksgiving this year, and I hope more will allow families to spend the day together without having to go to work.

Will the day before Thanksgiving still be the busiest travel day of the year? Will stores have typical "Black Friday" sales incentives that draw thousands of customers? Will department store "Santas" wear masks? Will there be the usual Thanksgiving Day parades? Seasonal performances of "The Nutcracker"? I think we're going to experience a very different holiday season this year, and I hope that many members will share their plans and suggestions on this thread.

BBM - I don't know about Black Friday, but both Walmart and Target have announced they will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. So that's a start. I can't imagine Black Friday happening anywhere except online.

BBM - I don't know about Black Friday, but both Walmart and Target have announced they will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. So that's a start. I can't imagine Black Friday happening anywhere except online.

There's a growing list of stores/malls that will not open on Thanksgiving. Maybe this will start a new trend.

Stores Staying Closed on Thanksgiving Day 2020

For me, in Michigan, it will be tough. November and December in MI is cold and dreary. The weather does not lend itself to outdoor gatherings. This summer we have been enjoying social distanced visits with family. Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations are a special time for our family. We have grown out of state kids that always make an effort to come for a few days to see parents, grandparents, aunts and cousins. Typically, our family does a big gathering for all. 18-20 people for dinner, drinks and presents around the tree. Now I envision small gatherings, us coming one family at a time to visit each other after each sequestering 14 days. Christmas planing and gathering could take 3 months at that point LOL. Maybe zoom? IDK. It all has me so sad.
We normally have everyone here too. I've accepted that we'll each probably have dinner in our own homes this year. I haven't accepted not seeing each other at all though. Everyone but my MIL and FIL are essential workers so it will be impossible to sequester for 14 days :(.

I think a virtual meal could be kinda cool. Each family prepares their meal so that everyone eats at the same time. Then turn on the Zoom meeting and sit the computer on top of the counter so everyone can interact and eat together.

Every one at own home set table and cook, then zoom or webex meeting or whatsap live conference call or the Ipad video call or what not, with webcam or ipad or phone cam aimed at the various tables and people chatting while eating that way. Then disconnect a while for individual household clean up, then reconnect the call for gift exchange with gifts ordered and sent to the respective recipient in advance. This is how we have been doing the Jewish religious holidays anyway, since Passover in April as we were already on lock-down. Imagine that Hanukkah and Thanksgiving will be done much the same way this year. Christmas we just do among ourselves anyway, since DH 's fam doesn't celebrate that obviously, and I only have my brother who is still in The Netherlands.

I think it might be fun to go completely outside of the box with holidays and have each family/member pick a different cuisine but not tell each other what you picked, then on zoom day (the holiday) show off all your lovely dishes whatever they might be- Mexican, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Indian, etc. The surprise might be half the fun! If the holiday is gonna be weird, might as well make it different and fun!

I think it might be fun to go completely outside of the box with holidays and have each family/member pick a different cuisine but not tell each other what you picked, then on zoom day (the holiday) show off all your lovely dishes whatever they might be- Mexican, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Indian, etc. The surprise might be half the fun! If the holiday is gonna be weird, might as well make it different and fun!
That would be fun!

The past couple of times that I've been to the international marketplace where DH and I get most food items, the store has been almost too crowded to safely navigate the aisles while maintaining social distancing. Last Friday, we had a short list of products we needed and didn't even get all of them because certain aisles were too congested. On both occasions, I wondered how holiday grocery shopping is going to be managed. Starting in early October, Thanksgiving displays start to appear in almost every part of the store - products that are generally only featured during the holiday season. By the end of October, Christmas displays appear, and the store becomes very busy in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. There are usually extended hours, but there are times of the day when the parking lot is packed and getting around the store can be like navigating an intricate maze.

When thinking about your local supermarkets, or wherever you will purchase food for your holiday meals, how do you think grocery shopping will be handled during this pandemic?

I’m thinking now that people will no longer get the extra $600 per week in unemployment and evictions are back - people will be struggling by the holidays and won’t be buying big turkeys or hams for a traditional large family gathering.

Perhaps we will do a simple meal with a special dessert.

The things I need to stock up on is candy/treat making supplies since I can ship those and share with family that we can’t be with at the holidays. Will keep me busy and my mind off things!

I’m thinking now that people will no longer get the extra $600 per week in unemployment and evictions are back - people will be struggling by the holidays and won’t be buying big turkeys or hams for a traditional large family gathering.

Perhaps we will do a simple meal with a special dessert.

The things I need to stock up on is candy/treat making supplies since I can ship those and share with family that we can’t be with at the holidays. Will keep me busy and my mind off things!

I thought the no eviction rule was extended? Jmo

Last edited:
The past couple of times that I've been to the international marketplace where DH and I get most food items, the store has been almost too crowded to safely navigate the aisles while maintaining social distancing. Last Friday, we had a short list of products we needed and didn't even get all of them because certain aisles were too congested. On both occasions, I wondered how holiday grocery shopping is going to be managed. Starting in early October, Thanksgiving displays start to appear in almost every part of the store - products that are generally only featured during the holiday season. By the end of October, Christmas displays appear, and the store becomes very busy in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. There are usually extended hours, but there are times of the day when the parking lot is packed and getting around the store can be like navigating an intricate maze.

When thinking about your local supermarkets, or wherever you will purchase food for your holiday meals, how do you think grocery shopping will be handled during this pandemic?

I wonder what will happen with halloween this year? Will police department or neighborhoods have trunk or treat this year?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back