Hoover & D. Casey Depos in Gonzales Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "Hoover started this particular bit of mud slinging". Hoover gave LE important information in this investigation, and I for one, am glad and grateful that he did.

In any event, you were saying you weren't happy with the line of questioning, I was simply pointing out it wasn't objected to, so really there is nothing to argue there, it is now a moot point.

Oh, good heavens. I certainly don't want to discuss something that might be considered a moot point by some. That certainly never happens on this forum. :eek:

The potential bias or lack of credibility of any witness is always relevant and is fair game for a question. Since Hoover is the one who made this suggestion, better to ask him the basis for his assertions. A personal relationship between two people COULD be a motivation to lie. This isn't a special rule being cooked up for the A's. It's just the way it is.

Wasn't Cindy at the 'Meet and Greet'? I've never heard that she talked on the phone during the entire event.
I don't think we know, yet, if she talked on the phone at the meet and greet...hopefully all that is hidden will come to light.

I didn't see that JH even had an attorney with him today at the deposition, if he did I missed it.

I am not surprised. From what I can tell, he's been about the only one of the A team that has been forthcoming with police (even if not as quickly as he could have been). I don't think he is facing any possible charges, or has done anything wrong, so he probably doesn't need a lawyer for this sort of thing at all.

4:31 p.m.ABC News allegedly paid Jose Baez upwards of $200,000 for home videos of Caylee Marie Anthony, according to a sworn statement Jim Hoover made this morning.

Attorney John Morgan asked Hoover if he knew of anyone getting paid by ABC to which Hoover answered, "Um, I had head that money had been given to the attorney [Baez] for some individual -- I don't know if it was given to the attorney or to Casey for some videos that was on ABC."

A few moments later he said Dominic Casey told him Baez was paid between $200,000 or $225,000 for the videos.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...bk-casey-anthony-civil-032509,0,7435592.story

it makes me soooo sad that little Caylee is being sold this way.....:mad:

The potential bias or lack of credibility of any witness is always relevant and is fair game for a question. Since Hoover is the one who made this suggestion, better to ask him the basis for his assertions. A personal relationship between two people COULD be a motivation to lie. This isn't a special rule being cooked up for the A's. It's just the way it is.

It may be 'just the way it is' but it isn't right that an attorney can ask anything he wants to ask at a deposition, even if the question has absolutely nothing to do with the lawsuit in question, and then that information is released to the general public. It's a total violation of people's privacy. There must be laws....must be.

Excellent points.

Have you heard she didn't? What makes you think she didn't use her phone during the entire event?

Please read my post more carefully. I said I have never heard that she was on the phone during the event. I did not say that she was or she wasn't.

If Casey told anyone Caylee's remains were off of Suburban, that links her to the murder and disposal of the body. If JM can uncover evidence that Casey and or the Anthony's knew where Caylee was, I believe it to be VERY important not only for his suit but for the criminal case as well.

It may be 'just the way it is' but it isn't right that an attorney can ask anything he wants to ask at a deposition, even if the question has absolutely nothing to do with the lawsuit in question, and then that information is released to the general public. It's a total violation of people's privacy. There must be laws....must be.

I'm not sure how you can say the questioning has "absolutely nothing to do with the lawsuit in question". It is a defamation suit that came about because Casey claimed she had kidnapped her child, who was later discovered, assumed murdered. If Morgan can prove someone else likely murdered Caylee, not his client, imo, that is about as relevant as it gets!

well maybe peoples dirt wouldnt come out if they only had been up front from the start....like...say...Im sorry ZG that my daughter brought your name up...and put your life upside down .....mentioned your car.....your NY LPlate....etc...etc....put your name at the place of the crime....etc...etc....we are truly sorry ZG ....we know you are NOT the ZG that our daughter says took our granddaughter.....we are truly sorry for all this mess....just maybe ...then this kind of stuff wouldnt be taking place....

If Casey told anyone Caylee's remains were off of Suburban, that links her to the murder and disposal of the body. If JM can uncover evidence that Casey and or the Anthony's knew where Caylee was, I believe it to be VERY important not only for his suit but for the criminal case as well.

I saw your post after I posted mine...ITA and you said it much better than I!

I'm not sure how you can say the questioning has "absolutely nothing to do with the lawsuit in question". It is a defamation suit that came about because Casey claimed she had kidnapped her child, who was later discovered, assumed murdered. If Morgan can prove someone else likely murdered Caylee, not his client, to me, that is about as relevant as it gets!

And if, in Hoover's opinion, Cindy and DC were a bit too touchy-feely, what does that prove?

well maybe peoples dirt wouldnt come out if they only had been up front from the start....like...say...Im sorry ZG that my daughter brought your name up...and put your life upside down .....mentioned your car.....your NY LPlate....etc...etc....put your name at the place of the crime....etc...etc....we are truly sorry ZG ....we know you are NOT the ZG that our daughter says took our granddaughter.....we are truly sorry for all this mess....just maybe ...then this kind of stuff wouldnt be taking place....

Casey needs to apologize for her own actions. The A's didn't put her up to telling those lies, they can't apologize for her.

it makes me soooo sad that little Caylee is being sold this way.....:mad:

Yep, paying for her murderers trial, buying boats, news clothes, paying bills..I could go on but you get my drift

Wasn't Cindy at the 'Meet and Greet'? I've never heard that she talked on the phone during the entire event.

I've only seen one small clip of an interview with both George and Cindy at the meet and greet and during that interview, I heard a cell phone ringing. No one answered it. I wondered then if perhaps it was either George or Cindy's phone and thought it odd that it was not answered, especially in light of all the live sightings being called in.
I have never heard anything discussed about Cindy using or not using a cell phone during the meet and greet. Is there a video of the whole event? I would be very interested in seeing that.

And if, in Hoover's opinion, Cindy and DC were a bit too touchy-feely, what does that prove?

Arguably, it makes it more likely they were sharing secrets, such as the location of Caylee's body. It could also motivate one or both of them to lie in their depos to protect the other.

If not for our own Muzikman we probably never would have heard CA was repeatedly texting on her phone during today's motion hearing either, but I believe him when he says she was.

Bias and witness credibility ARE issues in every case. I understand your point about the individual substantive merits of a case being paramount, and they are. But discovery is just that, an opportunity to explore whether the positions taken by the parties and their assertions have a basis in fact or could be biased because of relationships, financial interests, etc. The way the Florida sunshine laws affect litigation is a matter that complicates things, IMO, but it doesn't change the rules. There are limits and there are boundaries, and nobody is saying there aren't. Every witness can't be asked if he or she is a vicious pedophile with absolutely no basis. But if Hoover is the person who raised this issue, and claims to have knowledge, then he's the person to ask before going further with it. They can ask DC, too, in his deposition. Hoover apparently was unrepresented and Casey's lawyers don't bother to attend or object.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoyaMathilde