Horses could soon be slaughtered for meat in U.S.

Nova, I have. When I was growing up in Belgium, we had a horse butcher in the same street. Fresh meat was only available every 2 weeks or so, but he had smoked meat and other treated meats.
I can actually say horse meat saved my life, well not actually saved my life, but helped me overcome a dangerously low blood pressure when I was about 18. Apart from medication, my GP told my mother to serve me horse meat (preferably filet) and as "blue" as I could stand it.
It is actually very tasty meat, completely different from beef, but can be an acquired taste.

My mother actually has eaten cat in her life. But then this was in 1943 when people in Antwerp were starting to get really hungry. In a city of about half a million people, not many wild cats were left and some domesticated cats went that way as well. No pigeons were left in the city either.

Thanks for the first-hand account, Irish. (And also for the reminder of what war is like at the front. That is something most Americans have been allowed to forget.)

I do recognize that our repulsion at the eating of horses, cats and dogs (but not pigs) is largely sentimentality. Pigs are at least as smart and at least as able to recognize what is happening to them and to feel terror. The latter is something I try not to think about when I eat bacon...

(Of course some people refuse to eat any sentient animals and, more and more, I admire those people.)

Apologies for the self-quote, but I located video of this episode of "All In the Family". Warning: Might be offensive to some.

All in the Family - Edith's Conversion Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

Oh my gosh, I loved this-- thanks for posting! The cost of beef in the 70's went waaaaay out of sight. I recall my mother using soy "meat" products to stretch recipes, but often we just didn't have beef. We always had a bowl of shelled nuts on the table with several nutcrackers at the ready. We ate that as snacks. Very good protein sources and don't spoil. There were plenty of other options, for sure. (I went over and watched the rest of this episode, Archie never finds out but the puns and innuendos were abundant and hilarious! What a tour de force that show was! :clap: )

Nova, I have. When I was growing up in Belgium, we had a horse butcher in the same street. Fresh meat was only available every 2 weeks or so, but he had smoked meat and other treated meats.
I can actually say horse meat saved my life, well not actually saved my life, but helped me overcome a dangerously low blood pressure when I was about 18. Apart from medication, my GP told my mother to serve me horse meat (preferably filet) and as "blue" as I could stand it.
It is actually very tasty meat, completely different from beef, but can be an acquired taste.

My mother actually has eaten cat in her life. But then this was in 1943 when people in Antwerp were starting to get really hungry. In a city of about half a million people, not many wild cats were left and some domesticated cats went that way as well. No pigeons were left in the city either.

We all know what happened in Texas this summer-- cattle suffered horribly and died from drought and starvation (if they didn't make it to slaughter soon enough)-- this means two things, imo: Beef will be sky high again due to simple supply and demand, and cattlemen don't take kindly to dips in their profit margins, I sense they're poised to take over with "unwanted" horses.

Well, I have to ask-- in this country our appetite for red meat is gluttonous, do we really think they will stop at orphans? He77 no, they won't. They will breed and feed them soon after and horses will begin to live the life of huge agricultural concerns. Penned in filth, fed minimally or oddly (perhaps not even part of their natural diet in effort to make the meat more palatable to beef eaters), and these beautiful friendly creatures, who've served as man's salvation for thousands of years, will languish waiting for death to mercifully take them.

And why not cats and dogs? We have immigrant populations from every corner of the world who would eat any type of meat (and have, of course). Are we going to be offered a "pet rebate" at our Veterinarian's if we select to allow our faithful German Shepard (mine was about 90 lbs.) be sent to "market?" Well people be less likely to spay and neuter to become small farmers instead of pet breeders? You bet, you bet.

I think this is a dangerous precedent that truly illustrates the state of our economy and the future outlook of resources: we've been hammered, financially, we've outsourced our "menial" jobs, fuel prices went out of sight and didn't come back down (huge profits for the corps), packaging at the grocers got smaller (in the name of obesity/portions control and "room on the truck" (but really, don't you have to buy another one now? tuna for instance), and now the weather has compromised many, many, crops several years in a row. We are on the brink of a depression and this move stands out in bold red letters to me as a harbinger that yet another "new" American way that is going to be introduced so we all can feel like things aren't that bad.

Fast foods will use it, processed foods will include it (you won't recognize the name in the ingredient's list unless you educate yourself), it will be in every school meal, served in hospitals and retirement homes-- and the butcher/grocery stores will put out a small section that will have to be restocked many times a day so it appears that folks aren't really making that choice very often.

All this won't come about from horses with no homes, they will be the leading edge to a mega industry. PETA will have many ads per day with a country singer regaling the virtues of his trusty steed, while we see horses whinny in recognition of their human "friends."

I'll say it again: good cheap proteins are beans and nuts. Look up the actual amounts needed to stay healthy-- hardly any at all. We just want to feel normal. I say, make these the new normal instead. Not apologizing for the rant, only the length of it!

JMO

:cool:

Attachments

• horse_face.jpg
    horse_face.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 2
Horse owner here. Slaughter has not been illegal in the USA - maybe some states, but rather no funding or inspection so plants closed down. This meant horses were hauled in those horrible vehicles to Mexico and Canada. Horses are being dumped to starve or worse all the time due to the economy and the fact that horse breeding has not slowed in response to the economy - some have slowed/stopped, but not nearly enough. Unfortunately with animals (as oposed to cars etc) production doesn't rise & fall to match the economy. Then add in the latest designer breeds - don't get me started on that topic.

My hope would be with funding and inspection, we can come up with better ways to kill as gross as that sounds. I wouldn't eat horse, cat or dog, but I'll admit I love a good steak - probably have less then one a year, but when I do YUMMY.

I even know "horse people" who participate in competitive horse activities and if the current ones don't do really well, out they go - not slaughter, but they sure go to whoever without regards to insuring a good home. I work with someone who has several horses and after 3 years I've never heard her mention a single horse's name. They're commodities who stay as long as they do what they're supposed to and do it well. There's little to no emotional connection.

The last horse I sold is still with the people I sold him to and is now 28!! I sold him when he was 14 because my life situation wasn't "horse friendly". Hopefully Dixie will be with me forever, but should my life situation fall apart again, you'd better believe I'll be picky about where she goes. Although as wonderful as she is, I already have several folks who have said if anything happens, they want her.

"You have just dined, and however scrupulously the slaughterhouse is concealed in the graceful distance of miles, there is complicity." -Emerson

NM worker films himself fatally shooting a horse

http://www.centurylink.net/news/rea...ass&action=4&lang=en&_LT=UNLC_USNWU00L4_UNEWS

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — An employee of a southeastern New Mexico slaughterhouse that is seeking federal approval to slaughter horses has posted a video online showing him fatally shooting a horse in the head, sparking outrage among animal activists and prompting death threats to the Roswell meat company..........

The Albuquerque Journal reports the state Livestock Board executed a search warrant Thursday at the Dexter home of Tim Sappington, who worked in maintenance for the company.

Chaves County Sheriff Rob Coon, whose agency is supporting the Livestock Board, told the newspaper the shooting is being investigated as an animal cruelty case............

De Los Santos told KOB-TV that Sappington was a contract worker who made the video on his own time and at his own home.

"He shot a horse. That's what he eats. It's not against the law to slaughter your own horse," De Los Santos said. "Now, putting it on YouTube, I would not have done that.".......more......

Animal Slaughter Industry Making It Illegal to Show You Cruelty

http://truth-out.org/buzzflash/comm...u-cruelty-including-veal-calves-skinned-alive

Thom Hartmann points the finger squarely at the infamous ALEC for new laws being proposed – and some already enacted – that would make it a criminal act to document animals cruelly treated and slaughtered by the meat and poultry processing industries.

As Hartmann wrote on Truthout the other day,

ALEC is now parading around bills in six states that would make it a crime to film animal abuse at factory farms, or lie on job applications in order to get a job in a factory farm with the goal of taking pictures. All of this is to stop animal rights activists who infiltrate slaughterhouses to expose their deplorable conditions.

The bill proposals pushed by ALEC require all evidence of animal abuse at factory farms be turned over to law enforcement authorities within 48 hours, or those who took the pictures face a financial penalty.

The proposals also make it a crime to lie on slaughterhouse job applications, which activists commonly do in order to get documentation of animal abuse.

Right now, according to the Associated Press, the bills to block animal rights activists are under consideration in California, Nebraska, Tennessee, Indiana, Arkansas and Pennsylvania.

Three other states – New Mexico, Wyoming and New Hampshire – have already rejected similar bills this year.

More at link.....

So what is the big deal about this? Isn't meat, meat? If one eats cow, sheep, goat, elk, deer, bear, antelope, moose, etc, how is horse any different?

Aren't the horses that are killed pretty much being euthanized because they have health issues? If that's true, then they have it better than cattle and such. I'm not talking about cruelty for which I have no tolerance. Meat doesn't effect me much since I'm a social carnivore, that is, I only eat meat at certain social occasions which is averaging less than one meal a month.

I see it as different personally because I see horses as companion animals. Pets.

Same with dogs and cats.

I know people eat dogs and cats but to me that's disgusting. I don't see it as edible meat.

I could never eat a Shi-Tzu.
Or Mr. Ed.

JMO

You know I see that side of it, but at the same time I've raised other animals for meat, and other than the end product, I haven't treated them any different than the ones that are just pets, yk? Of course I could never eat one of our own goats, they had such personality. I think in the end I'd be hard pressed to even eat one of our hens. The little roosters though, those bastards can hit the stew pot and I don't care. lol.

Not that I mind eating a little bacon as a food seasoning but horses aren't kosher are they? I'll eat pinto beans or lentils with a grain before ever going to horse meat.

Good point about horse meat not being kosher. I'm not Jewish, but I believe there was/is a good reason for the dietary laws. On the other hand, aside from that, I would have no problem trying horse meat.

Horse person here. No I would never be able to eat horse meat.
And the slaughterhouses were terrifying barbaric places where yes pets that were no longer wanted or got into the wrong hands ended up.
I will say there needs to be more humane way when handling mass slaughter.

Horse person here. No I would never be able to eat horse meat.
And the slaughterhouses were terrifying barbaric places where yes pets that were no longer wanted or got into the wrong hands ended up.
I will say there needs to be more humane way when handling mass slaughter.

I've never owned a horse, just rode with friends a lot as a teenager, but agree, I just could not eat their meat, consider them as pets like Kimberly said.

The thing that makes me mad now is with this new law, they are trying to keep anyone from finding out about the cruelty in the slaughter houses.
I think someone ought to be watching them everyday!

Reader there are clips on line which I can not watch but they are out there.
You should see how they do it in Mexico. Barbaric.

Reader there are clips on line which I can not watch but they are out there.
You should see how they do it in Mexico. Barbaric.

I couldn't and would not watch them either, The Farm...who in the world thinks that is 'entertaining'?

Saw some about Mexico but could not read it all...Just the article above got me so upset that it took me 2 days to post it.....Nope, I could never eat The Black...

It was just a few years ago that we had a knacker plant here in Illinois but I haven't heard anything about anyone wanting to reopen it. Back when horses were more plentiful and used for work and transportation commercial slaughtering was a common practice although I think the horse meat from the used up animals was mostly turned into cat and dog food. I really don't like the thought of any animal being run through a slaughter house. Euthanizing an animal for cause is another matter.

So what is the big deal about this? Isn't meat, meat? If one eats cow, sheep, goat, elk, deer, bear, antelope, moose, etc, how is horse any different?

I don't see what's the big deal. I've had horse - not as good as beef but it's ok. Lot's of things I wouldn't eat - like snails or escargot if you prefer.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back