Hospital error kills patient

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Casshew, Nov 28, 2004.

  1. Casshew

    Casshew Former Member

    Messages:
    27,884
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    0
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]A Seattle-area woman died early yesterday, two weeks after she was accidentally injected with a toxic cleansing solution during a medical procedure at Seattle's Virginia Mason Hospital. [/font]

    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"We're just so sorry and so devastated this happened," Dr. Robert Caplan, the hospital's director of quality, said late last night. "It's a very unfortunate error that we all feel horrible about." [/font]

    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]About two weeks ago, the woman came to the hospital "for a sophisticated procedure" in the radiology department, Caplan said. A technician was to inject the woman with contrast dye to show how her therapy was progressing, but instead, the woman was injected with a toxic antiseptic, he said. [/font]

    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Almost immediately, hospital staff realized something was wrong and activated the hospital's "patient safety alert system," Caplan said. Everyone involved in the case was immediately taken off duty. [/font]

    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] "The cleansing solution basically acted as a poison, which caused widespread damage to the organs of her body," Caplan said. The damage "couldn't be remedied or reversed, even through aggressive treatment," including amputation of one of the woman's legs, he said. [/font]

    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]He declined to discuss details last night because of federal laws protecting patient privacy. [/font]

    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The woman died just after midnight, but as of last night, her name had not been released by the King County Medical Examiner's Office. [/font]

    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]In a statement posted on its Web site yesterday, hospital officials said, "Recently a preventable medical error occurred at Virginia Mason that we believe caused the death of one of our patients. [/font]

    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"We have offered our heartfelt apologies to the family of the patient and are doing everything we can to help them in this time of grief. But perhaps the only way we can make our apology real is to do everything we can to prevent medical errors in our system," the statement says.

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002099496_surgery24m.html
    [/font]
     
  2. Loading...


  3. kgeaux

    kgeaux New Member

    Messages:
    7,598
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Hmm. Methinks the "heartfelt apology" may not go far enough. Want to bet this one ends up in a lawsuit too?
     
  4. poco

    poco A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.

    Messages:
    38,905
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I, personally, cannot see for the life of me how this could have happened. Contrast comes in a specific type bottle -
     
  5. Fran Bancroft

    Fran Bancroft Former Member

    Messages:
    2,492
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Their admission only means they couldn't figure out how to cover up this fiasco.
     
  6. vicktor

    vicktor New Member

    Messages:
    797
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Although there may be some truth in this observation, its nice to see someone admit a wrong and apologize rather than clamming up and lawyering up.
     
  7. Lakergirl123

    Lakergirl123 Former Member

    Messages:
    1,212
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    When my son had his tonsills out when he was 5, the cauterization machine caught on fire in his mouth and burned the inside of his mouth and around part of the outside of his lips. The first thing the doctor said to me was, "I'm so sorry, this was totally my fault, I should have tested the equipment before I put it in his mouth."

    Those words saved him a HUGE lawsuit. I admired him for taking responsiblity.

    My son still has a tiny scar on the side of his mouth.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice