Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #2

Scary article about financial impacts of preparing for climate change. This is happening now- far reaching impacts to the RE market all along the east coast, FL, Gulf coast, LA, TX, and CA as well. HUD has set aside $$$ to move people away from the coasts & fire prone areas.

For willing property owners now, but I’m predicting a future of eminent domain. Going to be scary and economically devastating. JMO

America's great climate exodus is starting in the Florida Keys

Scary article about financial impacts of preparing for climate change. This is happening now- far reaching impacts to the RE market all along the east coast, FL, Gulf coast, LA, TX, and CA as well. HUD has set aside $$$ to move people away from the coasts & fire prone areas.

For willing property owners now, but I’m predicting a future of eminent domain. Going to be scary and economically devastating. JMO

America's great climate exodus is starting in the Florida Keys

That's why I'm never buying property. Even if the area itself isn't flooded out, it's going to be affected by being near flooded out areas, ie. property values going down. It's highly unwise to keep a significant quantity of assets in the physical world at this juncture.

That's why I'm never buying property. Even if the area itself isn't flooded out, it's going to be affected by being near flooded out areas, ie. property values going down. It's highly unwise to keep a significant quantity of assets in the physical world at this juncture.
I do hear you! We are considering FT RVing in retirement for that reason. Maybe an undeveloped lot as a home base.

The first FL home we considered buying was solid poured concrete- not block. 2 stories plus daylight basement plus metal hip roof- really pretty home. VERY storm resistant. But being near the gulf (even though on a small hill 30’ above high tide), all lenders required a supplemental flood insurance rider. THE MONTHLY FLOOD INSURANCE COSTS WERE MORE THAN DOUBLE THE MORTGAGE! Soon, imo, lenders will REQUIRE flood, sinkhole, and vanishing land riders to all policies- as the waters rise & lots disappear. The foreclosure rates will be off the charts as people become unable to pay it. JMO, MOO, etc.

I do hear you! We are considering FT RVing in retirement for that reason. Maybe an undeveloped lot as a home base.

The first FL home we considered buying was solid poured concrete- not block. 2 stories plus daylight basement plus metal hip roof- really pretty home. VERY storm resistant. But being near the gulf (even though on a small hill 30’ above high tide), all lenders required a supplemental flood insurance rider. THE MONTHLY FLOOD INSURANCE COSTS WERE MORE THAN DOUBLE THE MORTGAGE! Soon, imo, lenders will REQUIRE flood, sinkhole, and vanishing land riders to all policies- as the waters rise & lots disappear. The foreclosure rates will be off the charts as people become unable to pay it. JMO, MOO, etc.
My house is 2 lots from the last flood zone “D” line. I figure in about 100 years I’ll be the one with waterfront property. There is a ton of new construction here in the west coast of Florida. It serves zero purpose to built walls from wood, then put in hurricane windows. The wall will collapse, the window will fall out and probably not even break because they’re bullet proof. Buyer Beware!

My house is 2 lots from the last flood zone “D” line. I figure in about 100 years I’ll be the one with waterfront property. There is a ton of new construction here in the west coast of Florida. It serves zero purpose to built walls from wood, then put in hurricane windows. The wall will collapse, the window will fall out and probably not even break because they’re bullet proof. Buyer Beware!
We used to joke about our eventual waterfront too! Lol. But I think it’ll be sooner than 100 years. If I’m right, I’ll have been dead way to long to say “I told you so”. :D

Windstorm insurance is expensive and goes up every year. And if you change anything (such as a broken door) you have to have a windstorm inspection that costs $1800 to get it certified again.
Total scam- corrupt idiots! Insurers won’t cover a metal roof over 20 yrs old- even if it’s solid copper or zinc in excellent condition with proper hurricane ties etc. Basically I think they’re desperate for cash due to all the massive payouts in recent years. JMO

Sadly, it looks like some of the outer banks wild horses did not make it after all.

"A Hurricane Dorian “mini tsunami” dragged 28 wild horses in North Carolina's Outer Banks to their deaths earlier this month, according to reports.

After being swept away by floodwaters on Cedar Island on the Pamlico Sound Sept. 6, the horses’ bodies began to wash up on nearby beaches, The Charlotte Observer reported. Other missing horses are presumed dead."

28 wild horses killed in Hurricane Dorian 'mini tsunami' off North Carolina coast

Sadly, it looks like some of the outer banks wild horses did not make it after all.

"A Hurricane Dorian “mini tsunami” dragged 28 wild horses in North Carolina's Outer Banks to their deaths earlier this month, according to reports.

After being swept away by floodwaters on Cedar Island on the Pamlico Sound Sept. 6, the horses’ bodies began to wash up on nearby beaches, The Charlotte Observer reported. Other missing horses are presumed dead."

28 wild horses killed in Hurricane Dorian 'mini tsunami' off North Carolina coast
Oh no. I was so afraid of that. Swimming is not the same as swimming in storm surge/tsunami waves.
“The 28 horses make up more than half of the island’s 49-horse herd. They were identified by their branding.” Horses were named after local people, so every family felt a connection to the horses.

I hope they don’t go extinct.:(

Some people haven't even been able to rebuild from Hurricane Sandy because they didn't get insurance payouts or as much as they needed. It's been 7 years.

There's something very freeing about living in a small, minimalist apartment and knowing you could walk away having lost all your physical belongings and be totally fine and easily replace them all.

Some people haven't even been able to rebuild from Hurricane Sandy because they didn't get insurance payouts or as much as they needed. It's been 7 years.

There's something very freeing about living in a small, minimalist apartment and knowing you could walk away having lost all your physical belongings and be totally fine and easily replace them all.

Yes. I lost everything in a house fire. And since then, belongings really don't have meaning to me.

It takes awhile to get there though. The shock of losing everything really takes a long recovery period. Some people never adjust.

Yes. I lost everything in a house fire. And since then, belongings really don't have meaning to me.

It takes awhile to get there though. The shock of losing everything really takes a long recovery period. Some people never adjust.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that! That's terrible that happened to you.

I guess I've always had a bit of a worst case scenario, "disaster mindset." The less stuff you have, the less stuff you can lose. I like the idea of just being able to pack up and go. Or just go without packing up, as the case may be. I don't like being rooted to any situation. The idea of homeownership terrifies me for that reason. I don't have pets and one big reason is because it limits mobility so much (ie. much harder to evacuate, most apartments won't allow pets). Many of the people who don't evacuate in hurricanes, stay because of their pets.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that! That's terrible that happened to you.

I guess I've always had a bit of a worst case scenario, "disaster mindset." The less stuff you have, the less stuff you can lose. I like the idea of just being able to pack up and go. Or just go without packing up, as the case may be. I don't like being rooted to any situation. The idea of homeownership terrifies me for that reason. I don't have pets and one big reason is because it limits mobility so much (ie. much harder to evacuate, most apartments won't allow pets). Many of the people who don't evacuate in hurricanes, stay because of their pets.

We have pets, and a house. But I don't live in an area with hurricanes. We had to evacuate last year for wildfire threat, no problem, dog, cat, car. Go! And now we have a pump on our roof with well water. And a fire break.

“The official death toll across the Bahamas stands at 56...”

How can that be accurate? These numbers are baffling. I thought it would be so much worse. How many were on the island under that monster for 2.5 days? How many are accounted for/evacuated & to where? And there are really only potentially 656 people who didn’t survive that nightmare? That’s a fraction of what the initial loss projections reported in MSM were. JMOVHO

“The official death toll across the Bahamas stands at 56...”

How can that be accurate? These numbers are baffling. I thought it would be so much worse. How many were on the island under that monster for 2.5 days? How many are accounted for/evacuated & to where? And there are really only potentially 656 people who didn’t survive that nightmare? That’s a fraction of what the initial loss projections reported in MSM were. JMOVHO
I think it will be years before the final accurate toll will be tallied. Hurricane Irma & Maria numbers took a long time. So many people were lost but nobody knew because there was nobody to report them missing. I think it will be the same here. Those Haitian immigrants are not likely going to be reported. If their bodies wash up, it will take DNA to figure out who they are. If they even wash up. There’s been so much turmoil in the sea, I suspect bodies, bones, articles of clothing and debris will surface for years. It’s unbelievably sad that their families will never be able to give them a proper, dignified burial.

#Hurricane Dorian has to-date inflicted “over $1bn in insured losses” on Bahamian insurers, it was revealed yesterday, with some forecasts suggesting this may rise as high as $1.5bn.

#Warren Rolle, the Bahamas Insurance Association’s (BIA) chairman, told Tribune Business that property and casualty losses stemming from the category five storm were already double the sector’s initial “conservative” $500m estimate - and that is with some carriers yet to report their figures.

“I don’t have details from all insurers yet, but from those insurers that have already reported we’re looking at over $1bn in insured losses,” Mr Rolle disclosed to this newspaper. “We’re not seeing the volume of claims we saw in Matthew, but the severity is much more significant than we saw back then.

#“This is the biggest catastrophe we’ve had in the history of the industry. We’ve not seen anything like this one, and I hope to God we don’t experience anything like this ever again for any number of reasons.”
Insurers suffer 'over $1bn' Dorian losses

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back