Hurricane Harvey - August 2017 #2

Evening everybody! Still looks very dire doesn't it? Mayor telling folks to leave their homes. My husband had a doctor appointment today. There was a man there from Beaumont. He said it was bad. He did not know when he would be able to go back to his home. He said the creeks were still rising.

At a red light, there were several Red Cross vans that passed going west. One had Charlottesville, VA and then the next one said South Carolina. There was one more that I missed where it was from.

In the Walmart parking lot, people were selling barbecue and profits said to be going to benefit Harvey victims. Several vehicles that appeared to be loaded with items that people must have loaded in a mad dash to get out.

Sigh. I hope we hear from BigFatMommyDog!

Hi Bootsctr! How are you doing? This is crazy! It seems like it's never going to end. We have, I think, around 200 evacuees staying in one hotel here in my small town. They are using the lobby as a shopping closet. Free of course. We take clothes and other items and leave them in the lobby and they get to choose what they want. The kids love "shopping" for a toy. The hotel is providing a home cooked meal every day and are encouraging people to bring meals or dishes. This is only an example of one hotel. We have a couple more but have not heard what they are doing or how many evacuees they have. I feel for these people. No idea when they will get to go home and may not even have a home to go to. I hope they feel some comfort here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[video=twitter;903771562821726208]https://twitter.com/FOX13Memphis/status/903771562821726208[/video]

Hi Bootsctr! How are you doing? This is crazy! It seems like it's never going to end. We have, I think, around 200 evacuees staying in one hotel here in my small town. They are using the lobby as a shopping closet. Free of course. We take clothes and other items and leave them in the lobby and they get to choose what they want. The kids love "shopping" for a toy. The hotel is providing a home cooked meal every day and are encouraging people to bring meals or dishes. This is only an example of one hotel. We have a couple more but have not heard what they are doing or how many evacuees they have. I feel for these people. No idea when they will get to go home and may not even have a home to go to. I hope they feel some comfort here.

Great to see you Totes! You are doing some amazing work there! :hug: You know those kiddos are loving shopping for a toy! It will take their minds off the storm trauma! 200 people is a lot. I know they are very grateful to be dry and have a soft bed to sleep in at night. Warms my heart! Home-cooked meals go a long way in helping comfort people too! It seems everything as far as people being able to return to what is left of their homes is still up in the air for the time being. #TexasStrong

Are y'all receiving any donations from outside Katy? I just wondered if Red Cross or other organizations were bring in supplies?

[video=twitter;903774032281174017]https://twitter.com/TexasTDI/status/903774032281174017[/video]

Great to see you Totes! You are doing some amazing work there! :hug: You know those kiddos are loving shopping for a toy! It will take their minds off the storm trauma! 200 people is a lot. I know they are very grateful to be dry and have a soft bed to sleep in at night. Warms my heart! Home-cooked meals go a long way in helping comfort people too! It seems everything as far as people being able to return to what is left of their homes is still up in the air for the time being. #TexasStrong

Are y'all receiving any donations from outside Katy? I just wondered if Red Cross or other organizations were bring in supplies?

I'm not sure. We have so many people collecting items for various areas that have been affected.

Where I am located didn't have too much damage. Most of ours was wind damage and not water. I don't even think we had any houses flood. My moms area was where I was concerned about the flooding. Her house didn't flood but the roof did leak.

I have friends who have a vacation house somewhere where the flooding was bad, can't remember exactly where. They showed me pics of the water line and all the debris. Electric lines wrapped around satellites and dangling. But the house was still standing and had only one small portion of the outer wall damaged so mostly just a clean up job.

200 and that's just one hotel! I can't even imagine!

Anyone watching CNN...???

LIVE from the Chemical Plant Fire.

A trickle of smoke now a raging inferno in the last 30 mins....no firefighters in sight.

They are asking can crews even get to the fire???

Local firefighter rarely put these kind of chemical fires out. They know very little to nothing about the make up of the chemicals that are on fire or, what can and cannot be done.

Imo, the company will not send anyone in at this time and will go in afterwards with a chemical expert hazmat team after the fires have burned themselves out.

Imo, like in most instances they will let the fires burn themselves out. Many of these type of chemicals will burns up shortly after when it hits the air.

IMO

OH my! Yes, the electrical lines down and dangling scare me the most! I'm so thankful your mom's house didn't flood! Y'all have gas and clean water?

Crockett had a "stuff the bus" and my mother-in-law took some clothes and school supplies for that event. Not sure exactly where the bus is headed. Just stated coordinated areas in the Harvey damage zone.

200 people in one hotel is a lot! I bet most hotels are filled to capacity with people who had to evacuate.

Keep us updated! I love hearing these stories! :heartbeat:

[video=twitter;903773402497994754]https://twitter.com/daynasteele/status/903773402497994754[/video]

[video=twitter;903773424279056385]https://twitter.com/ksatnews/status/903773424279056385[/video]

"A man who fled his Texas home as Hurricane Harvey wreaked havoc on his neighborhood returned home to find an alligator in his dining room.

Brian Foster arrived at his Humble, Texas, home on Friday to survey the damage caused by the record-breaking rain brought on by the storm.

As he looked around the home with a rescue crew, he saw the 9ft alligator crawling along the floor.

He immediately called the police so the beast could be removed. Officers taped the gator's mouth shut so it could be taken away."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...home-near-Hurricane-Harvey.html#ixzz4rSmdu7SJ

attachment.php

I'd have a fit if I found that in my house there are so many hazards and dangers to deal with I can't imagine how hard it must be.

Whoa!.... uh, uh not me! I'm outta there. Don't want to live where alligators might be in my house! :scared:

"A man who fled his Texas home as Hurricane Harvey wreaked havoc on his neighborhood returned home to find an alligator in his dining room.

Brian Foster arrived at his Humble, Texas, home on Friday to survey the damage caused by the record-breaking rain brought on by the storm.

As he looked around the home with a rescue crew, he saw the 9ft alligator crawling along the floor.

He immediately called the police so the beast could be removed. Officers taped the gator's mouth shut so it could be taken away."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...home-near-Hurricane-Harvey.html#ixzz4rSmdu7SJ

attachment.php

I'd have a fit if I found that in my house there are so many hazards and dangers to deal with I can't imagine how hard it must be.

Yikes! I like most reptiles but man, if I saw a gator in my house, I'd pee my pants. Unless it was a baby. I think baby alligators are so cute!

Really worried about geevee and BigFatMommyDog. Both of their last posts were on the 28th.

Donated blood today (not in Texas) and the place was packed due to the hurricane. :) I became a regular donor after a school shooting in my state. It's not for everyone but I was so happy to discover how easy it is for me. I don't think I would have even tried it had I not been completely heartbroken over that shooting. Sending lots of love! I'm not there and cannot imagine the pain people are going through, but hope that Texas can be rebuilt stronger than ever through all the tragedy.

[h=1]Dog almost euthanised for being 'too energetic' is saving lives after Hurricane Harvey[/h]
A dog which was almost put down for being "too energetic" is now putting his life on the line for humans in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey.

Rocket has been trained to save lives by the National Disaster Search Dog Foundation and is now assisting search and rescue teams with their recovery efforts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ised-energetic-saving-lives-hurricane-harvey/

Harvey's dead mourned as search for missing gets desperate

By BRIAN MELLEY, AP / 2:09 am ET Sat Sep 02, 2017

HOUSTON (AP) — Benito Juarez Cavazos had come to Texas illegally from Mexico on his own as a young teen and was in the process 28 years later of getting his green card when he was swept away in the flood waters left by Hurricane Harvey.

Cavazos, 42, had recently received a work permit and social security card and was scheduled for an appointment toward getting permanent residency the day after he apparently drowned, his cousins said Friday at a memorial service for the auto body shop worker...

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/news-national/20170902/US--Harvey-The-Dead-5621

President Trump and First Lady are visiting an evacuation center/shelter. Selfies, handshakes, hugs for victims and volunteers. :grouphug:

Trump arrives in Houston for 2nd Harvey visit

Ken Thomas, Associated Press Published 9:38 a.m. ET Sept. 2, 2017 | Updated 1:07 p.m. ET Sept. 2, 2017

Houston — President Donald Trump is expected to meet with Harvey victims during his second trip to storm-ravaged Texas in the past week.

Trump and first lady Melania Trump arrived in Houston on Saturday and were greeted by Gov. Greg Abbott at Ellington Field, a military reserve base in the southeast part of the city. Four Cabinet members including Education Secretary Betsy DeVos are joining the president on this trip.

The president is expected to meet with Harvey victims at the air field before heading to a relief center. He did not interact with victims on his trip Tuesday to Corpus Christi and Austin.

Trump will head to Louisiana later Saturday...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/nation/2017/09/02/trump-harvey-storm-victims/105227240/

Sep 2 2017, 1:03 pm ET

Areas Remain ‘Deadly Dangerous’ in Wake of Harvey, Governor Says

by Phil Helsel

Rescues continued Saturday in Harvey-ravaged parts of the eastern Texas coast, and while some people have returned to what remains of their homes, the state's governor warned the danger has not yet passed.

At least 42 deaths have been attributed to Harvey, which made landfall a week ago and caused major flooding. In the latest in Port Arthur, where more than 490 people have been rescued in the past 24 hours, police said Saturday they discovered the body of an elderly woman as officers went door-to-door conducting welfare checks...

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/h...y-dangerous-wake-harvey-governor-says-n798271

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back