Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

@PayrollNerd

This map shows the heavy rain received by the Sarasota area over the past 12 hours, and even more further south (yellow area) near the landfall area.

aOoAOM1P_x96.jpg

NWS Weather Prediction Center

@NWSWPC

The most recent RTMA has 10-15 inches of rainfall over just the past 12 hours across portions of west-central Florida, just north of where Hurricane Ian made landfall.

7:50 PM · Sep 28, 2022·Twitter Web App

Note: The Real Time Mesoscale Analysis (RTMA) and the UnRestricted Mesoscale Analysis (URMA) provide hourly 2D analyses of near-surface variables ...

I just read this about the HI death toll in the United States (Florida, Georgia, SC & NC).
It says as of right now there is one death but doesn’t say which state it is in.
Maybe it was an innocent mistake but I do find it odd.

Attachments

• 44281E6A-A2F5-4242-9661-3E34CB3F1C31.jpeg
    44281E6A-A2F5-4242-9661-3E34CB3F1C31.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 11
For anyone interested in the receding water just before the storm surge there are some nice photos here:

Why does this happen?​

It's physics playing out on a large scale. Hurricane Ian's winds are swirling counter-clockwise as it moves northward along the Florida peninsula, so its winds are whipping the water away from the shoreline ahead of the center. As the storm passes through, winds in its eastern and lower half will shove water back toward land — and inland — at a prodigious rate.

Here's one pic:
1664414297175.png
A sailboat lies on mud at the bottom of Charlotte Harbor as water receded ahead of Hurricane Ian in Punta Gorda, Fla.
Ricardo Arduengo/AFP via Getty Images

Earlier this year, hubby and I bought a mobile home in a 55 year old plus community below Tampa for cash with pretty much our entire savings. She's adorable, located in a fantastic neighborhood and 5 star park.
1.5 miles from the Gulf. A long time, planned dream. Hubby is 74, I am 68.
There's more to this story, but I'm tuckered out watching this horrific storm.
Right now She's still there, as the storm changed direction to the south.
But, the impacts haven't hit us yet. It's not over. This storm covers nearly the entire State of Florida.
Our neighbors were given the keys to our home before I left in May.
Thank Goodness. They've turned off our circuit breakers and stored our patio furniture and trash bins.
We're in California, watching and hoping our life savings and retirement home is not flooded or swept away.

Earlier this year, hubby and I bought a mobile home in a 55 year old plus community below Tampa for cash with pretty much our entire savings. She's adorable, located in a fantastic neighborhood and 5 star park.
But, the impacts haven't hit us yet. It's not over. This storm covers nearly the entire State of Florida.
Thank Goodness. They've turned off our circuit breakers and stored our patio furniture and trash bins.
We're in California, watching and hoping our life savings and retirement home is not flooded or swept away.
Prayers going your way, Kali. I am seeing and hearing damage is less than expected so far. Hoping your beautiful home will be there all in one piece, awaiting your return. Stay safe!

Kali, please let us know what happens to your dream home. Mobile homes tend to be the most vulnerable but through every hurricane a substantial number manage to get through the storm and remain intact. That's been the case for 50+ years. Hugs!

Prayers going your way, Kali. I am seeing and hearing damage is less than expected so far. Hoping your beautiful home will be there all in one piece, awaiting your return. Stay safe!
I pray your home is safe. Will the neighbors be in touch when they can so they can face time you so you can see first hand what your home looks like like when this storm is over?

More than 2 million energy customers were in the dark Wednesday night, according to the tracker PowerOutage.us.

In the hardest-hit southwestern region, 10 counties reported that more than 50% of tracked customers were without power.

Eight more counties in southwest, central and northeast Florida reported more than 10,000 customers had no electricity.

I just read @ChrisFLTornado on Twitter that Reed is safe.
He’s updated a lot for having little service and with the atrocious con.

St. James City FL on Pine Island received the full brunt of Ian. Cat 5+ gusts from E-S-W and 15 foot storm surge with 10 to 15 foot rollers where there’s normally 2 ft of water! Literally beyond unbelievable. I hearby retire from my hurricane chasing career. Can’t top today

Attachments

• 34CEB3B5-4B1F-4136-BCAC-45A9853E12DC.png
    34CEB3B5-4B1F-4136-BCAC-45A9853E12DC.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 23
  • E0816782-A1D3-4EFD-A83B-EF70D96133B7.png
    E0816782-A1D3-4EFD-A83B-EF70D96133B7.png
    238.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
We all came thru the storm ok. No power so hard to get the internet to load on my phone. Most phone calls don’t go thru. Texts are slow too.

The wind was incredible yesterday and relentless well into the night. It was constant side ways rain too. It’s still about 27 MPH this morning. The cooler temps are welcome for sure. No damage to my roof that I’m aware of, yet anyway. The lanai has a roof and the screening is fine.

My back yard is a mine field of downed oak tree branches. One puncture to the fence. I have a cordless pole saw but didn’t think to charge the battery. I have a small axe too. I think the county will flex on the log size rules after a hurricane tho. I’m going to try to drag them to the curb.

My neighbor the electrician, has a whole house generator. So that’s the music of the day today and until we get power back. Yesterday the whistling, and at times roaring wind, muffled the sound.

I’m missing my caffeine but that is a luxury at this point.

We all came thru the storm ok. No power so hard to get the internet to load on my phone. Most phone calls don’t go thru. Texts are slow too.

The wind was incredible yesterday and relentless well into the night. It was constant side ways rain too. It’s still about 27 MPH this morning. The cooler temps are welcome for sure. No damage to my roof that I’m aware of, yet anyway. The lanai has a roof and the screening is fine.

My back yard is a mine field of downed oak tree branches. One puncture to the fence. I have a cordless pole saw but didn’t think to charge the battery. I have a small axe too. I think the county will flex on the log size rules after a hurricane tho. I’m going to try to drag them to the curb.

My neighbor the electrician, has a whole house generator. So that’s the music of the day today and until we get power back. Yesterday the whistling, and at times roaring wind, muffled the sound.

Thanks for checking in and letting us know that you are alright. Our next door neighbors have a condo in Sarasota. If we see them outdoors today, we'll ask how their unit fared in the storm.

I'm so glad you all are all right! It's good that your house seems to be undamaged, and the trees are still standing despite many branches on the ground. Perhaps your electrician neighbor will invite you to come have some coffee. :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back