Hurricane Ida - Aug 2021

Wow....lots of electrical lines across the nearby streets.
Snakes moving in brush. My cairn terrier is on alert. Radio says pups getting bitten. This one is not going out.
Are there any other WS members out there in the area of the storm.
Teche are you okay? Lato

Dear Ones, Fellow WS members in this frightening, chaotic, unbelievable mess I'm so so sorry. Which means jack.

Thinking of you all! Praying big time! Real big. Lato, I can't kill snakes, but PLEASE tell me what I can do from up North when it's possible! Please!

Hang on!!!!!!

Drillship crew in Gulf says they were not evacuated for Hurricane Ida, still stranded with no rescue in sight | KLFY

GULF OF MEXICO (KLFY) — Over 100 men are stranded on a drillship after suffering through Hurricane Ida while in the Gulf of Mexico.

They say the companies who were supposed to evacuate them before the storm hit never did.

Crew members on Noble’s Globetrotter II drillship saw they were forced to ride out horror-filled hours of Hurricane Ida on the ship in the Gulf of Mexico over 100 miles from Louisiana’s shore.
(…)
It’s taking in water now, it’s leaning, and they’re still out there. However, they have no idea when they’re going to be rescued.

“I mean I was watching grown men with life jackets hold on for dear life crying in the hallway. It was bad,” the anonymous crew member said.

He says 80-foot waves and 150 miles an hour winds slammed their ship for hours.
(…)
“We’re still out here. We have no clue when we’re getting off of here. We can’t go outside. It’s too dangerous out there. There’s stuff everywhere- broken cranes, electrical wires, chemicals,” he said.

“We’re in the living quarters just like prisoners, just stuck in the living quarters.”

What’s even worse, he says, is that Shell and Noble aren’t staying in contact with them on the ship.

“Nobody’s telling us anything. I know we’re taking in water in the back, and we don’t know what’s going on- if helps coming or when it’s coming.”

Drillship crew in Gulf says they were not evacuated for Hurricane Ida, still stranded with no rescue in sight | KLFY

GULF OF MEXICO (KLFY) — Over 100 men are stranded on a drillship after suffering through Hurricane Ida while in the Gulf of Mexico.

They say the companies who were supposed to evacuate them before the storm hit never did.

Crew members on Noble’s Globetrotter II drillship saw they were forced to ride out horror-filled hours of Hurricane Ida on the ship in the Gulf of Mexico over 100 miles from Louisiana’s shore.
(…)
It’s taking in water now, it’s leaning, and they’re still out there. However, they have no idea when they’re going to be rescued.

“I mean I was watching grown men with life jackets hold on for dear life crying in the hallway. It was bad,” the anonymous crew member said.

He says 80-foot waves and 150 miles an hour winds slammed their ship for hours.
(…)
“We’re still out here. We have no clue when we’re getting off of here. We can’t go outside. It’s too dangerous out there. There’s stuff everywhere- broken cranes, electrical wires, chemicals,” he said.

“We’re in the living quarters just like prisoners, just stuck in the living quarters.”

What’s even worse, he says, is that Shell and Noble aren’t staying in contact with them on the ship.

“Nobody’s telling us anything. I know we’re taking in water in the back, and we don’t know what’s going on- if helps coming or when it’s coming.”

Dear Lord!
What country are we in again?

May these men safely with HELP get the heck outta there.

Last edited:
Family in St. Tammany Parish has offered the use of a home with electricity that, Lat is unoccupied....
Home may be available on Saturday.
People are special.

Special indeed. Thoughts are with you, Lato.

Up in here my brother just had a tree go through the roof. Nobody hurt. No flood. Plus he didn't get swept up on his mail route.

We're thinking of youse down there. Again we know next few weeks will be the worse. Philly got ya however we gotta do it.

Flooding emergency: New York declares a state of emergency as the Northeast is slammed by rain from Ida's remnants - CNN

In New York City, almost all the city subway lines were suspended due to the flooding. The Metropolitan Transit Authority website said that only the "7" line and the Staten Island Railway were operating with delays.

"We're enduring an historic weather event tonight with record breaking rain across the city, brutal flooding and dangerous conditions on our roads," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said on Twitter.

"We will have a tough few hours coming up until we get the rain out of here," de Blasio told CNN affiliate WCBS. "I have never seen this much rainfall this quickly. It is absolutely astounding ... We are talking three inches, four inches in an hour. Unbelievable accumulation."

Water water everywhere…:(

Here on the very dry west coast in Southern Oregon’s Jackson county, I am watching a retrospective discussion on our local PBS station about the Almeda Fire that was swept along on high wind for nine miles from Ashland through the small communities of Talent and Phoenix a year ago on September 8. It destroyed a couple of thousand buildings, leaving several thousand homeless, including about a dozen of my friends. It was impossible to fight this fast moving inferno. A water shortage didn’t help.

On the program I’m watching, one of the local water district supervisors mentioned that one resource we don’t move from coast to coast is water. He wondered about the feasibility of doing so. Seeing the water from Ida filling the south and the east coast certainly made me wish we could take some of it off your hands and store it to use for wildfires and other catastrophic fires such as the one we experienced last year. Emigrant Lake, the local reservoir in Ashland has provided water for fire-fighting in the past, but is now only 3% full, as is true of other area reservoirs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/10/20/oregon-almeda-fire/

Current Reservoir Levels - Watermaster

OT—Incidentally, three people were killed in the fire, including someone yet to be identified. I’m not sure if there is a thread for this person.
Forensics provide first description of unidentified Almeda Fire victim

Historic Flooding Due To Ida Inundates The East Coast

Between 6 and 10 inches of rain fell over Central Park during the course of several hours.

Waist-level floodwaters caused significant travel delays throughout New York City. Most of the city's subway lines had to be shut down, leaving commuters stranded and needing to be rescued by the fire department.

The fast-moving storm quickly became deadly overnight. Throughout Wednesday night, police responded to calls of flooding at homes across the city.

In Brooklyn, police found the body of a 66-year-old man at his home.

In the Forest Hills neighborhood of Queens, police said they entered a house to find a 48-year-old woman unresponsive. She was transferred to Forest Hills Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

Elsewhere in Queens, police discovered the bodies of a 50-year-old man, a 48-year-old woman, and a 2-year-old boy, also at a residence.

And in the Jamaica neighborhood of Queens, police came across a 45-year-old woman and a 22-year-old man at a house. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. The woman was transferred to Queens General Hospital and pronounced dead there.

Last edited:
From National Weather Service:
Estimated 48-hr rainfall ending 6 a.m., Sept. 2
E-Rx-viXoAQp_ey

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members