Hurricane Ida - Aug 2021

We left NO yesterday around 6pm. Arrived N of Jackson, MS around 1am.

Never, in over nine years, have we evacuated. Didn't board pets. We need a place that allows a hamster, a gerbil and a dog named Ginger for an extended stay so may need to travel further N but not today as nervous exhaustion has set in.
People have asked me why I drive a large SUV, since I am single and am alone in my vehicle 99% of the time.

It’s in case I ever have to evacuate or lose my home, so I will have room for my pets. I would live in my SUV, if it came down to it, rather than give up any of my pets.

We left NO yesterday around 6pm. Arrived N of Jackson, MS around 1am.

Never, in over nine years, have we evacuated. Didn't board pets. We need a place that allows a hamster, a gerbil and a dog named Ginger for an extended stay so may need to travel further N but not today as nervous exhaustion has set in.
Hi DeDee! I’m so glad you and your fur babies left NOLA! Where are you now? I would say head over to my house but it’s too late to safely drive East. I live in Alabama near Mobile. We love pets and there are two dogs here. We got pummeled with rain and had a tornado touch down earlier but it’s calmed down now. If you get desperate and can’t find a place to stay that takes pets my daughter lives in Birmingham. It’s an apartment but it’s nice. I’m totally serious, message me if you need help. She can stay at her boyfriend’s apartment. He lives a few buildings over. I remember evacuating for Ivan and dealing with all that traffic and trying to find a hotel that had any rooms and that takes pets. It’s so stressful and you are worrying about your home and when you can get back etc. I’m very sorry and praying it’s not as bad as predicted. Glad you are safe!

Edit because I realize this sounded like I meant apartments are not as nice as houses. What I should have said is she’s in college…so it’s nice for a college apartment if ya know what I mean. :p

Last edited:
@gnsndr33 and @DeDee are in Ida’s path right now. Hoping you stay safe. Are there more members here that are affected?

Ida’s headed our way here in NS by Thursday/Friday, but that may change.

Home is not in flood zone; it's between river and Magazine Str. Didn't flood during Katrina. Very worried about wind damage. It takes years for areas to recover from weather damage.

Where is NS? North Slidell?

Hi DeDee! I’m so glad you and your fur babies left NOLA! Where are you now? I would say head over to my house but it’s too late to safely drive East. I live in Alabama near Mobile. We love pets and there are two dogs here. We got pummeled with rain and had a tornado touch down earlier but it’s calmed down now. If you get desperate and can’t find a place to stay that takes pets my daughter lives in Birmingham. It’s an apartment but it’s nice. I’m totally serious, message me if you need help. She can stay at her boyfriend’s apartment. He lives a few buildings over. I remember evacuating for Ivan and dealing with all that traffic and trying to find a hotel that had any rooms and that takes pets. It’s so stressful and you are worrying about your home and when you can get back etc. I’m very sorry and praying it’s not as bad as predicted. Glad you are safe!

You are so very kind! You guys dodged this big bad storm.
We're currently in Madison, MS. Have friends in Starkville and Oxford w/ unoccupied condos.
One neighbor drove as far as Atlanta. We won't go that far tho.

@gnsndr33 and @DeDee are in Ida’s path right now. Hoping you stay safe. Are there more members here that are affected?

Ida’s headed our way here in NS by Thursday/Friday, but that may change.
I’m on Gulf Coast in Alabama. We have been experiencing heavy rainfall, wind gusts, flash flooding and tornado watches from the outer bands but that’s nothing compared to what Louisiana is dealing with. I feel so bad for everyone in Ida’s path and praying everyone stays safe. Evacuating sucks. Been there, done that! I hope everyone who had to leave will be able to return home soon to homes that are not damaged or flooded. I didn’t know there was a thread for Ida. I posted about it on the Suzanne Morphew thread and was directed here by a mod. Stay strong & safe everybody!

You are so very kind! You guys dodged this big bad storm.
We're currently in Madison, MS. Have friends in Starkville and Oxford w/ unoccupied condos.
One neighbor drove as far as Atlanta. We won't go that far tho.
Ok that’s good. I feel better knowing you have options. It sucks so bad to evacuate! Yes I almost feel guilty because we have dodged several big hurricanes that hit LA. But our turn will come again. It always does. :(

I have also been watching live streams since early this morning (Swedish time). My whole family is in MS, including my son, who just left Stockholm day before yesterday to go there to live/work for a few months. They are in the Southwest part of MS, and as of right now, it's barely even raining there, but it does look like it has the possibility to pass right over my home town. I have dozens of friends hunkering down in Nola, per FB, and I really hope this thing is not as beastly as it sounds/looks. :(

It's truly incredible that this is happening on the 16 anniversary of Katrina. I can't imagine how traumatizing that is for survivors.

Stay safe every in the South! My heart is with y'all!

Here is another good live stream:

Well I spoke too soon. It’s storming again and the tornado sirens just went off so we are back in the closet. The tornado is in Pensacola but we are close. Yikes now there’s another one in Lillian. That’s close too. My Daisy girl is shaking so I’m holding her. I think it’s all the sirens and tv alerts beeping that’s scaring her. Anyone else here in L.A. (lower Alabama) or near Florida/AL line?

...IDA MOVING NORTHWESTWARD OVER SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA... ...CATASTROPHIC STORM SURGE, EXTREME WINDS, AND FLASH FLOODING CONTINUES IN PORTIONS OF SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA...
4:00 PM CDT Sun Aug 29
Moving: NW at 10 mph
Min pressure: 938 mb
Max sustained: 130 mph

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members