Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guess we're ready:

The pretty stained glass hummingbird panel in our front door has been "boarded up" from the inside, all food and supplies shopping done, cooking up the perishables and feasting on them tonight...as an added treat, my boss at work had me help her unplug and move computers away from the second-storey large windows and cover everything in plastic bags; the two guys I work with had to leave early due to family safety obligations (IT guy has three little ones, is a transplant from NJ) ....have had REO Speedwagon's "Ridin the Storm Out" playing in my head all day. Hubby and I talked it over, we will be staying here for now - being on higher ground in the city, low risk for flooding, our main worry is the roof but it should be OK

My moms best friends 25 year old son is in West Palm Beach, FL. He says he's not evacuating and is riding out the storm. I'm so worried for him and not only that but my moms friend already lost one son 2 years ago in a tragic car accident. She doesn't need to lose another.

7000 line crew

calif men on there way !

local pressure continues to rise 925 expected to drop one it curves

tracks are moving more West

[video=twitter;906281626593886208]https://twitter.com/PBCountySheriff/status/906281626593886208[/video]

[FONT=&quot]If you are in an evac zone, you need to leave NOW. If you don't leave by midnight, stay. It's too dangerous to leave after. - [/FONT]@FLGovScott

[FONT=&quot]A note to readers: The Post is providing free digital access to coverage of Hurricane Irma. Stay safe.[/FONT]

This is not good for my family in Marco Island and Naples. The entire gulf coast now is in critical condition. I am so so sad, one has a home on the canal in Marco and with cat 5 winds the entire southwest gulf coast could be wiped out and Irma moved closer to Key West and the Hemingway kitties!! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, south FL is not going to fair well in this. Charlie in 2004 was a disaster and they still haven't recovered all the way. It is heading up and over our county now. But the only good thing is it will not be a 3,4,or 5, just maybe a 2 CAT. So hoping for the best. We didn't board up, now I wish we had. But it should be okay, we got rid of a lot of trees from the last time.

The first pic is the current GFS model at 6:00 pm Sunday. The second pic is midnight later on Sunday to Monday.

The point is the storm is so huge that although its moving during the 6 hours, it covers so much of the state that those who choose not to evacuate will be attacked. The 3rd pic is 6:00 am is more of the same.

It is forecasted to make landfall as a CAT5!!!!

Please consider leaving now.

a01b6365bf0949de5e04d1baaf4d7800.jpg
9ac9315cf738dedcd34d98f5b865005e.jpg
b6c6127857f57235951a805db85bebd4.jpg

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Guess we're ready:

The pretty stained glass hummingbird panel in our front door has been "boarded up" from the inside, all food and supplies shopping done, cooking up the perishables and feasting on them tonight...as an added treat, my boss at work had me help her unplug and move computers away from the second-storey large windows and cover everything in plastic bags; the two guys I work with had to leave early due to family safety obligations (IT guy has three little ones, is a transplant from NJ) ....have had REO Speedwagon's "Ridin the Storm Out" playing in my head all day. Hubby and I talked it over, we will be staying here for now - being on higher ground in the city, low risk for flooding, our main worry is the roof but it should be OK

We can feel your emotions through your words. So well-said. Really sorry you're having to go through all this.

Please stay safe, MaryG12! You and your dh are in our thoughts and prayers...

A friend posted this on fb. I think it says it all.

"Dear Non-Floridians,
1) Calling people who don't evacuate "idiots" or saying "they deserve what happens to them" is a judgement statement that without facts, you are not qualified to make.
We live in a state that is not the 'Spring Breakers' idea you have in your mind. We have more 55 plus communities than you can imagine. Elderly who can't drive because of age, or leave because of finances. A lot of our elderly, don't have "blood family" so they are relying on their "God made" family. We aren't leaving our grandmas and grandpas behind alone to face Irma. They need younger people right now to make sure they have what they need to survive this storm and the devastation. Most of them have pets that are as old as they are. Just like your kids would be your priority, their furry companions are theirs.
2) Just go get a plane ticket! (You can't just fly out.). Don't make statements or give advice on how we should evacuate. You don't have the knowledge of what we are up against. There are challenges of leaving. Flights out are being changed, cancelled, delayed. Tickets are $2-3,000 higher than they normally are. To fly out of Florida today, if you got a flight, one-way, could cost about 3,000.00
3) Don't say "Get in your car and drive fast out" A) Gas stations are getting fuel still, but that fuel is gone before the lines are empty.
B. ) There is no driving fast. Cars are moving 5-7 mph on highways trying to get to safety. The lines are long and imagine, with a gas shortage, being stuck on highways in jams for 12-15 hours.
4) Florida has one way out and that is through the top (Northern) part of the state. There are basically 2 major roads out. Those roads are jammed, backed up, and not expected to change.
5) To post "Florida is about to be wiped off the map" because you are watching the news reports and panicking from 3,000 miles away- is not the most uplifting thing for us to see. Plus, don't speak your devastation to us. Be positive!
6) "If I lived in Florida, I would have evacuated a week ago." Well I'm not so sure that you would have. It's not that simple if you have a heart...not only that, you don't know until the final days which path the storm is going to take. Homes have to be boarded. Things have to be done to ensure that if you do leave, you have somewhere to return. Then after our homes are secured, we again...have elderly who need their homes secured. So I'd say if you were here, you wouldn't leave so fast.
7) Stop saying God is angry and that's why Texas went through what Texas went through and that Florida is being hit.
8.) "Go to a safer part of the state." Yes, we thought of that. No one knows exactly what part that is. If Irma takes a turn it could hit the west coast- if we are all fleeing to the west coast because it says the east coast is the most dangerous, then that could be costly. We know what we need to do and we are monitoring the situation.
Feel free to stand in faith with us as we prepare for Irma's arrival.
Feel Free to check on us, text us, call us. But, don't text your fears of our demise. Don't call us crying because you are scared for us.
We have a storm to conquer. As warriors we need to be healthy, mentally and physically.
When your son or daughter or friend gets ready to go play in a competitive sport...before the game, do you call them and say ....
"you are going to lose"
"don't show up for the game"
"The odds are against you"
I would hope not...well we are preparing to overcome this storm. Send us some prayers and encouragement! We welcome it! If you are going to do anything less than that, turn your TV or radio off and keep your mouth shut.
Now, I have to go see what I can do to help my community get ready for Irma's arrival.
Floridians,
Stay safe, love and help your neighbors.

CARIIS, did you check the credentials on the office lady before you let her take Rascal? Hope to hear how little one fares with her new home in the coming months/years. And I remember newspapers very well .... we still get at least two. Hubby refuses to give them up.

And then when they get back to their homes, if they are uninhabitable, they'll have to find shelter and food and begin clean up, another enormous financial strain. It's a very long, expensive road.

I truly believe the only people who have some sort of normalcy are those that don't own a home, FEMA will pick them up and drop them off in a nice new city and give them money so they can start to rebuild their lives. These people don't have to deal with the headaches AND heartaches in dealing with insurance companies, inspections, mold, home damage, etc. etc. the list goes on and on,

We did not get FEMA assistance. We had flood and homeowners insurance. Once we filed a FEMA claim, they told us to deal with our insurance company for funds. Well, the insurance company only "reimburses" you. Who has thousand and thousands of dollars to get the house back to a livable condition. Luckily a neighbor told us that the insurance companies will give you a very small percentage of funds to being the process, but no one at FEMA or our insurance company mentioned that when we talked to them on the phone or when they visited the home to do an evaluation.

What an excellent post! It may be helpful for those going through this now, but it also was a lot of interesting info for this old gal who would have had no clue what you people go through with this type of disaster and the after-effects. Even once this storm is over, it is going to be years getting back to anything close to what once was.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share this. I am at such a loss for words.

People do the same thing here in Galveston Texas..and, a lot of times they are out there with their 3 ,4 yr old children..

oh, and the surfers..

I call them look loo's...

because here on Galveston island, well, I'm within spitting distance of it..we know what mother does.

we dont look and gawk..at the ocean..we button down the hatches..or go further inland to Houston.

Im #TexasStrong..took partial damage during Harvey but all is well

I"m 52 young, seen my fair share of hurricanes...

praying for Florida...

eta..I spent 4th of July in Miami..love the vibe, Cuban food, music..just the whole scene there...

bless them...

we had our 3 indoor cats in carrier in the garage and the 3 yard cats in another carrier, chickens in a carrier and parakeets all in the garage when Harvey hit. We were dodging tornado's all night long...my husband has a computer in his man cave garage and played you tube videos of chicken documentary, so the chickens could watch lol then he played video docs on cats and birds lol bless him lol

Ima, good to know you survived Harvey reasonably well. I thought that was going to be the worst storm in my lifetime ... now Irma has me edgy.
:giggle: I never knew chickens liked to watch videos. Fine DH you have there.

Thank you ATOH, for checking in, and updating us. It does help us non-Floridians to have a better understanding of what you are up against.

It must be horrible to feel as if the escape doors are locked. We ARE praying for you!

Please, please stay safe!!

you're right, Jazz. I am learning a lot from our fellow WS who are or have been in the path of these storms. This is my first time to be totally glued to what is happening to this extent. Scary for us who are far away .... I cannot imagine what being there must feel like.

This is not good for my family in Marco Island and Naples. The entire gulf coast now is in critical condition. I am so so sad, one has a home on the canal in Marco and with cat 5 winds the entire southwest gulf coast could be wiped out and Irma moved closer to Key West and the Hemingway kitties!! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oh JerseyGirl, I feel your anxiety. I am so sorry you have family who may be hit hard. May they all stay safe, and able to stay in touch so you know how they are. :hug:

Thank you for posting this it is so important that people who are suffering additional severe depression, anxiety and severe stress due to this terrible situation are able to access services for help.

17000 lineman yeh!

4 mill anticpated loss power

will spend 24 hours over fl total time

in terms of therapy when they started bussing Katrina folks here , I vol in mental health role.

Discovered how accurate Maslows needs are there was no interest in therapy when in survival mode its core stuff food where am I going to sleep I need my meds i would like to know where my child is i know my house is buried

At its core you really dont move up until the lower ones are reasonable present

awesome stuff!

300px-MaslowsHierarchyOfNeeds.svg.png

much more here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs

I sure hope no one stayed on the Keys!

[video=twitter;906266219304685568]https://twitter.com/NWSKeyWest/status/906266219304685568[/video]

[FONT=&amp]***THIS IS AS REAL AS IT GETS***

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]***NOWHERE IN THE FLORIDA KEYS WILL BE SAFE***

[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]***YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO EVACUATE***[/FONT]

So basically if you are old, in poor health and unable to get out of FL and you have a dog with no crate you cannot go to a shelter.

Hi Jersey- yep....I saw it. He delayed to 5:00....delayed at 7:00....and we are still waiting.
He should have postponed indefinitely until the storm comes off Cuba...IMO. Then we will all have confirmation of Irma's true intentions.

It's probably best he waits so that people fleeing Florida and Georgia can get situated first.

CARIIS, did you check the credentials on the office lady before you let her take Rascal? Hope to hear how little one fares with her new home in the coming months/years. And I remember newspapers very well .... we still get at least two. Hubby refuses to give them up.

What an excellent post! It may be helpful for those going through this now, but it also was a lot of interesting info for this old gal who would have had no clue what you people go through with this type of disaster and the after-effects. Even once this storm is over, it is going to be years getting back to anything close to what once was.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share this. I am at such a loss for words.

Ima, good to know you survived Harvey reasonably well. I thought that was going to be the worst storm in my lifetime ... now Irma has me edgy.
:giggle: I never knew chickens liked to watch videos. Fine DH you have there.

you're right, Jazz. I am learning a lot from our fellow WS who are or have been in the path of these storms. This is my first time to be totally glued to what is happening to this extent. Scary for us who are far away .... I cannot imagine what being there must feel like.

I trust her sweet human being!!

oh JerseyGirl, I feel your anxiety. I am so sorry you have family who may be hit hard. May they all stay safe, and able to stay in touch so you know how they are. :hug:

I trust her sweet human!!

It's probably best he waits so that people fleeing Florida and Georgia can get situated first.
So true....he stated today that yesterday there were 25,000 people on South Carolina highways at one time. Today he said there were 65,000 people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member