Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

amandab said:
Does anyone know how high above sea level the SuperDome is? Would give a decent estimate as to how high the water has risen........

I didn't think anything in NO is above sea level. The entire city is beneath sea level. The Superdome is 27 stories high and encompasses 13 acres.

nanandjim said:
Are there any websites set up for Red Cross and Salvation Army credit card donations? If so, could someone post them?
Here is a direct link to Salvation army, they have credit card logos on the site and you can donate for general or specifically to Katrina relief.

nanandjim said:
Are there any websites set up for Red Cross and Salvation Army credit card donations? If so, could someone post them?

Salvation Army

Try that. There's a place to designate your donation at the bottom.

Birdieboo beat me to it! Great minds!

shopper said:
Sorry, I don't know that info. It would've been okay if the levee's hadn't broke.

BTW, have any of you seen that footage of I-10, just broken into pieces. I believe it's over Lake Ponchatrain. I've always been a little nervous going over that stretch of road.

I saw that. I assume the road was empty when it broke apart. Can you imagine if it had been packed with cars attempting to escape the city?

Jules said:
The footage they've been showing is the Causeway from Metairie to Mandeville. But, I suspect I-10 has some damage too.

I'm listening to talk radio and they just had someone from New Orleans on stating that they could be without power up to 60 (YES, 60) days. OMG! Those poor people.

My bad, I thought I heard it was I-10.

Thanks for the clarification!

Gov.: New Orleans Needs to Be Evacuated (5 minutes ago)

BATON ROUGE, La. - With water rising in the streets of New Orleans and conditions rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Tuesday that the tens of thousands of people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers would have to be evacuated.

"The situation is untenable," Blanco said at a news conference. "It's just heartbreaking."

Because of two levees that broke Tuesday, the city was rapidly filling with water, the governor said. She also said the power could be out for a long time, and the storm broke a major water main, leaving the city without drinkable water.

Must rescue the looters - that's what you use to plug the levee breaks. Fix a problem with another problem.

Mabel said:
Human life is human life and this is no time to judge. Everyone needs to be rescued, looters included.

Good post Mabel. I bet if you asked a looter straight up, they would at least acknowledge what they are doing is wrong. They may need the stuff (diapers, food, etc.) Unlike common thieves who still lie when they are caught red-handed.

Buzzm1 said:
Gov.: New Orleans Needs to Be Evacuated (5 minutes ago)

BATON ROUGE, La. - With water rising in the streets of New Orleans and conditions rapidly deteriorating, Gov. Kathleen Blanco said Tuesday that the tens of thousands of people now huddled in the Superdome and other rescue centers would have to be evacuated.

"The situation is untenable," Blanco said at a news conference. "It's just heartbreaking."

Because of two levees that broke Tuesday, the city was rapidly filling with water, the governor said. She also said the power could be out for a long time, and the storm broke a major water main, leaving the city without drinkable water.
I wonder how they plan to get all of these people out of NO? The water is getting deeper around the Super Dome and I think that I heard there is only 1 road out of the city that is open.

Lesleegp said:
Good post Mabel. I bet if you asked a looter straight up, they would at least acknowledge what they are doing is wrong. They may need the stuff (diapers, food, etc.) Unlike common thieves who still lie when they are caught red-handed.
Oh, okay. I would take inventory of what they stole. If it were only the necessities of life, then I would rescue them. If it were anything else, they would have to go to the back of the line...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back