Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

jubie said:
even if it takes years....
Jubie, decades is more like it - I don't think people are absorbing the scale of this disaster - even after pumping out all the water & recovering from the bacteria/sewage/chemical aftermath - at mammoth expense - the city will still be at risk, below sea level waiting for the next big hurricane. New levees, buildings on stilts? what is the answer?

I think they have to start a 'newer orleans' elsewhere and begin again. :(

Environmentalist says there is a way to fix New Orleans, but it involves getting rid of the levees - New Orleans has been sinking forever, partly because the water that would normally flow over it and bring new soil. Doesn't sound like a reasonable solution - tons of time and work, and I'm sure way, way too much money.

BarnGoddess said:
The President didn't just decide to go on vacation during a storm alert, he was already there. He was due to return after Labor Day. He has been in communication with the governors of the states involved. He made trips last year to all the storm areas. I guarantee you he will be there as soon as it is feasable for him. I really don't think anyone expects him to walk through standing water just for a photo op or to make an appearance. Let's face it, he declared the area a disaster before the storm even hit, for crying out loud.
I didn't say he just decided to go on vacation. He is the Commander in Chief and he should be in his office, his elected office, during a time like this. I know he has been in touch with governors, but I just don't think it looks good when he's ON vacation doing it! He did declare it a disaster area before it hit. I didn't say he didn't. I wasn't expecting him to do a photo op, just said I didn't need to see one of him doing it. Many people should have gotten out, if they could have, but some needed help getting out. I guess I just feel helpless and I do expect more out of him at this time and of our government. God knows we pay enough for all these experts, government officials, etc. that we should not have this much devastation or death. Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I see it.

Details said:
Environmentalist says there is a way to fix New Orleans, but it involves getting rid of the levees - New Orleans has been sinking forever, partly because the water that would normally flow over it and bring new soil. Doesn't sound like a reasonable solution - tons of time and work, and I'm sure way, way too much money.
I also heard that a good portion of land to the south was washed away and never recovered. That was when Betsy struck. Had that land been reclaimed, there would have been a little barrier from sea water coming into that area, as well as some land to potentially slow the winds some.

Casshew said:
Jubie, decades is more like it - I don't think people are absorbing the scale of this disaster - even after pumping out all the water & recovering from the bacteria/sewage/chemical aftermath - at mammoth expense - the city will still be at risk, below sea level waiting for the next big hurricane. New levees, buildings on stilts? what is the answer?

Updated: 12:33 p.m. ET Aug. 29, 2005
Though Hurricane Katrina didn't deliver a direct hit on New Orleans Monday, there still were fears that the storm could turn one of America’s most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city’s legendary cemeteries.
more at the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/

All those crypts and mauseleums are above ground and surely will release their dead. It is just a horrible thing.

I still don't think people are recognizing the scope.

Remember how thrilled we were yesterday morning when the storm turned a little east and missed the city? yet this is all occuring now? imagine a direct hit.

There are also graves there though I think they essentially got away from burying there...mostly cremation or mausoleums (Sp?).

This disaster, like most, brings out either the best or the worst in people. It always warms my heart to see people getting along and helping one another. There was a black gentleman pulling an elderly man in a boat (his wheelchair also in the boat) and that's when I'm proudest to be living in the USA!

T'sNana said:
I didn't say he just decided to go on vacation. He is the Commander in Chief and he should be in his office, his elected office, during a time like this. I know he has been in touch with governors, but I just don't think it looks good when he's ON vacation doing it! He did declare it a disaster area before it hit. I didn't say he didn't. I wasn't expecting him to do a photo op, just said I didn't need to see one of him doing it. Many people should have gotten out, if they could have, but some needed help getting out. I guess I just feel helpless and I do expect more out of him at this time and of our government. God knows we pay enough for all these experts, government officials, etc. that we should not have this much devastation or death. Maybe I'm naive, but that's how I see it.
I didn't mean to jump T'sNana. I know your frustration. We all try to go on vacation from time to time. I have had more vacations cancelled than I ever actually had taken over many years. We all need time off to refresh our brains and bodies and be with family and friends. Take into consideration that even though a President is "on vacation", he really isn't. There's that guy with the briefcase, his office in Crawford, aides are around him at all times. He's in touch every day, just not physically in the Oval Office in the White House. Any President would be criticized by someone during a disaster of this massive porportion. He's either trying to control everything himself, or not doing enough quickly enough to suit some. It's easy to blame someone else.

Each disaster we learn a little more. I was in Miami during Andrew. It took forever to get supplies in. Just water and ice were hard to come by. Insurance adjusters couldn't find homes because they weren't there. Residents couldn't even find where their own homes were, because all street signs and recognizable landmarks were gone. Just piles of rubble everywhere. Many of todays disaster preparedness procedures came from Andrew and those storms and tornados that followed over the years. Don't forget last year that Florida was hit four times. This time it's the water that seems to be doing the worst, not the wind, in NO. You can plan and plan and plan, but sometimes you can't get it right 100% no matter how hard you try.

Shadow205 said:
Though Hurricane Katrina didn't deliver a direct hit on New Orleans Monday, there still were fears that the storm could turn one of America’s most charming cities into a vast cesspool tainted with toxic chemicals, human waste and even coffins released by floodwaters from the city’s legendary cemeteries.
more at the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/

Big decisions are ahead. There has to be a point where you say enough. I am really glad that I am not one of the decision makers. I love New Orleans and always will but this tragedy is not a new scenario and has been forewarned for many years.No one would listen.

Shadow205 said:
more at the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9113550/
I wonder if some of my Weymouth ancestors are floating down the streets of their beloved New Orleans yet?

BarnGoddess said:
I wonder if some of my Weymouth ancestors are floating down the streets of their beloved New Orleans yet?

You can almost bet on it. The whole area is so compromised and water saturated. I believe that is one of the reasons for the total evacuation, it will become a bacteria cesspool.Then, you get the snakes and other critters.

Just wanted to add all major medical facilities are evacuating.....there will be no help for snakes bites, medical situations of other kinds, there will be no help at all.

concernedperson said:
Big decisions are ahead. There has to be a point where you say enough. I am really glad that I am not one of the decision makers. I love New Orleans and always will but this tragedy is not a new scenario and has been forewarned for many years.No one would listen.
I haven't been there in years, but I would hate to see us lose so much of our history by not rebuilding somewhat. I would imagine that after a while, when things settle down a bit, historical preservation groups will begin to try to preserve what they can, even if they have to move it.

I'm sure most of you realize that swampland in Florida was converted by landfill. Not saying this is the way to go, but it could be a solution. They just need to be very careful not to destroy the environment, if possible.

CP, you're right, no one listened. Just look at the party atmosphere on Bourbon Street early this morning. Just get that drink and join the party. When they sobered up they were in over a foot of water. "Where did that wet come from?"

Casshew said:

Hey Cass,

I hear you and I hope I didn't sound cold, it's hard to fight the lump in my throat reading all the news. Yes, I imagine decades is more a likely time frame (if even at all as Details mentioned) :(

btw, it's good to have you back.

Jubie

hi ya Jubie Jube :) nice to see you, this is all very sad news and it makes us appreciate where we live and how safe we are.

Casshew said:
All those crypts and mauseleums are above ground and surely will release their dead. It is just a horrible thing.

I still don't think people are recognizing the scope.

Remember how thrilled we were yesterday morning when the storm turned a little east and missed the city? yet this is all occuring now? imagine a direct hit.

Casshew, I was gone for a day and came back to watch the news and I had no idea! I knew it was bad, but not this devastating. What are those poor people going to do, the ones who lost their homes, have no insurance, have no money, nowhere to go?

I thought maybe one or 2 neighborhoods were flooded. It's mind boggling - because the levees couldn't hold. They knew this could happen, but I guess didn't have the money or resources to barricade New Orleans. It's a shame.

As for President Bush, he's cutting his vacation short to go back and supervise relief efforts. However, I don't think we needed another war speech today.

This is a natural disaster, of 9-11 proportions; hopefully without as much loss of life. Financially though it's a greater disaster, and emotionally directly affecting a wider number and range of people. the health problems will come next.

Which brings me to another question: Do the countries we donated to for the Tsunami give back to us? Or any countries at all - Europe, Austrialia, etc? Canada? Or is that just a United States thing? Just curious.

This is the saddest thing I've ever seen.

I grew up in Fla. Hurricanes were a fact of life after my parents moved the family there in 1945. Every summer, it seemed, my Dad had a worried look as he packed us all up and made a bee line for North Carolina to get out of the way of another hurricane. After about five years, we didn't leave anymore...but we never experienced anything like Katrina.

Our friends and family have been coming to stay with us here in Ga for these last hurricanes. This time, some of them from Mobile decided to stay...when it looked like Katrina would hit New Orleans. Instead, they got hammered north of Mobile Bay. But, they're doing ok...no power of course. They bought a generator a few months ago..they have water, cell phones and battery chargers...their home is intact but they're pretty miserable in the August heat and humidity.

We had lots of family in Miami during Andrew. That was the bench mark till now. Makes you wonder why people stay after such a horrific experience. But.....we'll always go home..where ever 'home' is.

I hope New Orleans survives and all her folks will go 'home'...help rebuild it and not loose this treasured landmark that is so much of our beloved South.

Just on CNN, they are ending all efforts to shore up the broken levees......expect another 15 feet of water to come in to the city.

Lesleegp said:
Just on CNN, they are ending all efforts to shore up the broken levees......expect another 15 feet of water to come in to the city.

Wow - I didn't expect them to give up like this. How sad...

amandab said:
Wow - I didn't expect them to give up like this. How sad...

It was Paula Zahn reporting. I hope she just meant they are stopping for the night, but my gut feeling is that is not what she meant.

Also reading on Drudge that they are considering putting the people from the Superdome on cruise ships.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennyboo
Back